• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read through 52 + ww3 & dark age, damn. Story turned crazy as soon as
Sobek ate Osiris
. I didn't know too much about BA besides the New 52 stuff (which got me into comics in the first place), but damn this story changed my perspective on him. Being one of the most powerful super beings in the world and
having your family die twice, with you being able to do nothing about it
makes for some good stories.
Blowing up almost all the world
sounds crazy but I can't help but feel bad for him. Also the dynamic between Question and Renee was really good.

Bulzeeb

man I whish there was something like netflix for comics, I enter the comics thread once in a while, then I get interested in some stuff specially from dark horse, idw or indies to the point of actually wanting to read something but then I remember I don't live in the U.S, that those comics will never be available here, that keeping track of them digitally will be a mess (and only if I'll be able to buy them digital since some U.S stores doesn't accept c.c from outside the U.S) and I end giving it up -_-

man I whish there was something like netflix for comics, I enter the comics thread once in a while, then I get interested in some stuff specially from dark horse, idw or indies to the point of actually wanting to read something but then I remember I don't live in the U.S, that those comics will never be available here, that keeping track of them digitally will be a mess (and only if I'll be able to buy them digital since some U.S stores doesn't accept c.c from outside the U.S) and I end giving it up -_-

You should find used Amazon sellers who ship internationally. As long as you're just interested in the stories, used trades are insanely cheap and if you can find an international shipper, you're gold.

OldRoutes

I don't understand your "keeping track of them digitally will be a mess"...

Comixology is probably the greatest thing ever right now. It's not perfect, but it's a damn good app.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Read through 52 + ww3 & dark age, damn. Story turned crazy as soon as
Sobek ate Osiris
. I didn't know too much about BA besides the New 52 stuff (which got me into comics in the first place), but damn this story changed my perspective on him. Being one of the most powerful super beings in the world and
having your family die twice, with you being able to do nothing about it
makes for some good stories.
Blowing up almost all the world
sounds crazy but I can't help but feel bad for him. Also the dynamic between Question and Renee was really good.

Oh yes I forgot all about how fucked up Sobek was, that was so brutal and shocking. 52 really was impressive in retrospect.

Comics is a hobby where you have to put some effort in unfortunately. But it's nowhere near as hard as you're making out. Comixology is brilliantly easy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Is anyone picking up the Morrison Doom Patrol omni this summer?
Fucks yeah! The Animal Man omnibus is pretty much perfect, so I imagine this one will be well worth it.

Yeah I've read this stuff too, and tbh it makes me dislike McKean, he doesn't sound like the world's best collaborator. I think Arkham Asylum is probably my least favourite Morrison book for that reason - it's interesting but it's so muddled and literally hard to read.

It's incredibly muddled and there's so much symbolical collage-related nonsense decorating the story that it's easy to simply ignore it and go for the core pictures and dialogue, but, it's still a great work if you just plunge into it and start taking in all of the things Morrison/Mckean are playing at. It helps if you view it as what Batman's dreams are--what he sees when he's asleep.

Also, it's got almost Joker in high heels, which is excellent.

Yeah I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, he's one of my favorite characters and I started with 60s comics, but I'm done with ASM right now.

It's kind of weird not reading Spidey but at least I get Scarlet Spider through the New Warriors. I'm gonna check out 2099 too.

Bulzeeb

You should find used Amazon sellers who ship internationally. As long as you're just interested in the stories, used trades are insanely cheap and if you can find an international shipper, you're gold.

that's the thing, its really a hassle and I don't like buying used online because if I find something wrong with the product, trying to get a return or change will be even more troublesome, I usually import my video games but thats because I really save money (and half of my gaming habit goes now to steam and gog), besides, if I ever get hooked into something, trying to follow the comic will be even more anoying with so an online multi brand digital comics store will be awesome

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yeah I've read this stuff too, and tbh it makes me dislike McKean, he doesn't sound like the world's best collaborator. I think Arkham Asylum is probably my least favourite Morrison book for that reason - it's interesting but it's so muddled and literally hard to read.

I'm so glad you feel the same way. I was feeling inferior in my comics-reading abilities since I thought I was alone in feeling like that. Haha

Kipp - loved your write up of Unknown Soldier. So as not to spoil anything, all I'll say is keep reading.

Glad you liked it!
Excellent. I'm very much looking forward to reading more of it.
Thanks again for encouraging me to read it, by the way. It's not something I would've otherwise picked up, but I'm very glad I did.

Speaking of Batman trades, have they ever done any biggish collections of Morrisons run yet?

Last time I looked it was like 30 trades.

Well, it's still not collected super well yet, but the essential story (basically excluding the Return of Bruce Wayne, Time and the Batman, and Final Crisis trades) can be collected in four hardcovers.
You've got the Black Glove Deluxe Edition (which is OOP and can be had pretty much for MSRP, but the new paperback has the same issues covering Batman and Son, Club of Heroes, and The Black Glove), Batman RIP Deluxe Edition (which can also be had paperback, but I don't think the paperback contains the two issues that tied into Final Crisis), Batman and Robin Absolute Edition (which contains all three volumes of B&R), and then Batman Incorporated Absolute Edition is coming out in December (which contains both pre-New52 and New52 Batman Inc).

So yeah, it's still not collected in a very organized fashion, but 4 hardcovers (or 2 paperbacks and 2 hardcovers) isn't too bad.

Speaking of Superman. I just realized I've finished every physical trade I own bar one. All Star Superman. Which I read 3/4 of. Need to buy more books.

That's very impressive. I've kind of come to accept that I won't ever have read every trade I own. Haha

I'm veeery tempted to. If I get a particularly big paycheck that week I'll probably feel inclined to buy it. Haha

Li Kao

I enjoy comixology. I wish they didn't remove the in app store.

A thousand times this. I said it already some pages ago but man do I miss the in-app purchase. Browsing the website is nowhere near as slick as it was in-app, so much so that even as I'm tempted to re-read comic books I'm still not sure I would want to use comixology or stick to physical.
And there is the eternal 'but what if they close ?' question...
I wish everybody took Image stance and go DRM-free. Not because of the DRM but there I'm sure I will be able to read them even if Image goes under.

Messi

that's the thing, its really a hassle and I don't like buying used online because if I find something wrong with the product, trying to get a return or change will be even more troublesome, I usually import my video games but thats because I really save money (and half of my gaming habit goes now to steam and gog), besides, if I ever get hooked into something, trying to follow the comic will be even more anoying with so an online multi brand digital comics store will be awesome

There are stores on Amazon that sell new books at big discounts. Not used.

Use comixology and buy digital for USA cover price they have all the big companies except Dark Horse

Why not compile some best of lists for Batman's villain roster? Everyone knows The Killing Joke, but what about others like Mr. Freeze, Two-Face, Black Mask, The Ventriloquist, etc?

I can do my favorite story involving his rogue's gallery

Joker: "The Laughing Fish/Sign of the Joker" (Detective Comics #471-476) - The Joker doesn't take over until the last two issues, but you need to read all six. One, because the Engelhart/Rogers/Austin run is one of the highlights in Batman's 75-year comic book history and the best Bat-books of the 70s, and two because the last two issues are payoffs to long running subplots involving the Ghost of Hugo Strange and Silver St. Cloud(still Batman's best romantic interest) that won't have the effect if you just jump in without prior reading. Alternately, you can watch the excellent Batman: The Animated Series adaptation, that jettisons the subplots and insteads uses the climax from the also-popular 70s Batman/Joker story, "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge". Either way, this is the definitive Joker story in my mind; his comical insanity, his colorful style, his frightning seemingly random murders that make a twisted kind of sense. And just a great look.

batwriter5b.jpg

batwriter5c.jpg

batwriter5d.jpg

Two-Face: "Eye of the Beholder" (Batman Annual #14) - The definitive Two-Face origin story. This book was the first to establish that Harvey was actually a pretty damaged man before the disfigurement, and the acid only brought his battling personalities out to the surface. It takes the cliche "alcoholic drunk father" shorthand and uses it in a more interesting, psychologically damaging way to show how one of Gotham's brightest stars could also be one its biggest monsters. Everything you learned about him from Long Halloween was ripped from this book to lesser effect. Like the one scene in The Dark Knight where Gordon/Harvey/Batman meet on the roof Nolan got from Long Halloween but was originally here .

The Riddler: "King Tut's Tomb" (Batman Confidential #26-28) - The problem with Edward Nygma is that he's a genius character written by non-genius writers. Writers have to engineer a plot so smart only The Riddler could come up with it, and then essentially be smarter than the Riddler cuz there's a solution he missed. He often comes off as a second-rate Joker most of the time. Paul Dini, who made a habit of getting down to the core of the character and making them tick in the Animated Series, had the clever idea of making The Riddler a private detective, so now he can directly put his brain up against the World's Greatest Detective and they don't have to worry about coming up with inane plots for him. The best of these is "King Tut's Tomb", a buddy-comedy style mystery adventure as Batman has to team up with Ngyma to solve the riddles the murderous Egyptian-themed big bad is leaving at the scene of the crime. The script is breezy and genuinely funny, milking the antagonistic relationship between Batman and the Riddler for all its worth, and getting them into interesting situations where their divergent philosophies come out, including the great Temple of Doom-style climax. And for some inexplicable reason, there's a grade-A art team of Garcia Lopez with Kevin Nowlan inks on this random Batman monthly, and there a wonderful combo, equally adept at facial expressions/body language as they are at action staging and set design. A very underrated comic.

Scarecrow: "Fear for Sale" (Detective Comics #481) - A clever twist on the usual Scarecrow story, where instead of increasing his victims' fears, he instead takes them all away and sells em back! Of course this ends with Batman getting dosed with the drugs and becoming Cocky Smiling Badass Batman.

Detective571f.jpg

Alan Davis is really in his element here, lots of great imagery to play with like Batman bullfighting an semi-truck or hilariously challenging a booby trap room filled with machine guns. The short lived Mike W. Barr/Alan Davis run on Detective Comics is great fun, please give it a go.

Detective571g.jpg

Ra's Al Ghul: "Son of the Demon" - My favorite usage of Ra's was actually in Batman Begins, but my favorite Ra's comic is Son of the Demon by Mike W. Barr and Jerry Bingham. Its basically an 80s action movie starring Batman, cool set pieces, megalomaniac villains, sexy dames, globe-trotting to exotic locations, Big Henchmen. This story was kinda incorrectly un-retconned to be the one where Batman and Talia sex each other up to produce Damian, so its got that going for it too. And the one-liners! Batman's got some cold-ass one liners in this one.

Damn, son

Penguin: "Joker's Asylum: The Penguin" - Cobblepot's an odd duck, because his characterizations seem to change on the fly and nobody seems to be able to explain the bird gimmick except that it makes him a visually interesting mob boss. Jason Aaron wrote one really good story with him not too long ago that really explores his persona. I won't spoil too much here though!

Clayface: "Mortal Clay, Love Bird" (Batman Annual #11) - There are multiple Clayfaces, but the best comic story involving him is also Alan Moore's best Batman story, "Mortal Clay". A tragic tale of lost love and complete derangement, Alan's prose intelligently minds a bizarrely compelling fable and paints a character you're never quite sure if you should pity or laugh at.

Bane: Secret Six #1-36 - Sure you could read those 90s crossovers Knightfall and Knightsend and Knightfuckthisstoryneverstops, but you want the best, right? Where this is it, baby, Secret Six, one of the best DC comics runs of the past decade and a worthy successor to Ostrander's Suicide Squad. It's smart, subversive, heartfelt, violent, tragic, fuckin' hilarious, and all the other buzzwords you look for in superhero comics. I know its 36 issues, and that doesn't include the Action Comics crossover, but I'm tellin you...read this thing.

uhhh part 2 later this post is long enough

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, Shadows West (Jonah Hex) is a phenomenal book.

Kipp

Bane: Secret Six #1-36 - Sure you could read those 90s crossovers Knightfall and Knightsend and Knightfuckthisstoryneverstops, but you want the best, right? Where this is it, baby, Secret Six, one of the best DC comics runs of the past decade and a worthy successor to Ostrander's Suicide Squad. It's smart, subversive, heartfelt, violent, tragic, fuckin' hilarious, and all the other buzzwords you look for in superhero comics. I know its 36 issues, and that doesn't include the Action Comics crossover, but I'm tellin you...read this thing.

I'm really looking forward to reading this when the new TPBs start coming out. First one comes out all the way in February 2015 though, so it'll be a long wait...
Great list, by the way. Thanks for doing that.

Holy shit, Shadows West (Jonah Hex) is a phenomenal book.

Isn't it great!? I've actually only read the first of the three miniseries in that TPB, but I loved it. The humor is so great, and the story and art are very good too. I really gotta finish reading that TPB.
I'm glad someone else is reading it though! I thought I was the only one who picked that up. Haha

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it great!? I've actually only read the first of the three miniseries in that TPB, but I loved it. The humor is so great, and the story and art are very good too. I really gotta finish reading that TPB.
I'm glad someone else is reading it though! I thought I was the only one who picked that up. Haha

It's really goddamned good. I've only finished the first half of it, through the traveling wagon up to the end of that. Wonderful dialogue, too. Goddamn it's good, everyone should check it out.

That's very impressive. I've kind of come to accept that I won't ever have read every trade I own. Haha

Yeah I know how you feel. My collection's not very large, only ~100 or so physical trades, but I don't think I'll ever finish everything lol. Between work, ongoings, games, anime and manga, internet, etc. it's just hard to make time for reading sometimes. But I took a week off for vacation time next month, so maybe I'll be able to make a dent in my backlog.

And btw, I noticed you mentioned The Black Glove Hardcover was OOP and I decided to check prices. Used prices aren't too bad but $150 for a new copy? That's crazy!

Kipp

It's really goddamned good. I've only finished the first half of it, through the traveling wagon up to the end of that. Wonderful dialogue, too. Goddamn it's good, everyone should check it out.

Yeah, it really holds up extremely well for being over twenty years old (and I generally don't have much patience for older books). It's just really good fun.
Thanks for mentioning it. I think I'll try and read the rest of the TPB over the next few days, right after I finish up volume 1 of Unknown Soldier; gotta read something else while I wait for volume 2 to arrive in my IST order. Haha.

And btw, I noticed you mentioned The Black Glove Hardcover was OOP and I decided to check prices. Used prices aren't too bad but $150 for a new copy? That's crazy!

Geez! That's pretty crazy. I hope they do a reprint of it. It's a nice hardcover. I got super lucky with buying mine. I found a used copy for $23 on Amazon that was "Used - Good," and I messaged the seller and asked him more details about the condition, and he said that the corners just had a little wear, so I went for it. I got it in the mail and it was literally impeccable. I have no idea what flaws he was seeing. It was the same quality a new book shipped from IST would arrive in. I was beyond pleased.

Li Kao

So yesterday I read the first arc of the latest Justice League series by Johns and Lee. Don't know what to really make of it, as I found the thing fairly weak and bland, but at the same time it's an origin arc, a retelling of a story every DC reader has read in one form or another.
Not really different, plot is not the strong point, Lee has seen better days and while it took a lot of issues to really begin (with all the 'one issue introducing this or that character'), it feels like the ending is rushed when the story was finally in place.
That being said it was not horrible either, there was some nice characterization bits and one or two funny moments. I don't want to be all mainstream hating here, they offered an origin story, I got an origin story. I just feel it could have been much better.
Maybe I'm too hard on the thing.

And while I'm at it let's finish passing for an old never pleased reader. I read Angry Birds #1 too. Two stories, one by Jeff Parker and another one by Paul Tobin.
What madness is this ? Who decided to cut the damn book in two and make it a collection of two short stories ? Because it seems like the lack of pages really hurt the writing here. I'm not judging the franchise, I don't care about Angry Birds but that's not the point. They have good writers and good artists, they could aim for an all age series developing the universe, there are hints of that in there, there is potential in the characters, but all that is destroyed by the lack of pages. And as a result what could be a cute young reader comic book become just two gag stories. Nothing more. And really, the ending of each is bad, in a "fuck it, let's end the story" way.
They could have had the smurfs, they choose to have two stories too short for their own good.

Catwoman: This is a bit more complicated because Catwoman villain status is all over the place. She's kind of a tweener in that regard. My favorite story involving her is Batman: Year One, but she's actually my least favorite part of that book. If you want a book just focused on Selina Kyle and her life, Ed Brubaker-Darwyn Cooke/Cameron Stewart Catwoman comics are out there, please read them. Pre-Crisis Catwoman/Batman romance? The wonderful Alan Brennert written story from Brave and the Bold #197 "The Autobiography of Bruce Wayne". Just a quick dose of Catwoman stealing shit and being sexy? Selena's Big Score by Darwyn Cooke or the first two issues of Batman Inc vol.1 "Mr Unknown is Dead" by Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette. Lot of great options out there, none of them involve Ann Nocenti.

Harley Quinn: "Mad Love" - Dr. Harleen Quinzel, on the other hand, is much simpler to nail down what the best story is. It's "Mad Love" by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, my absolute favorite Batman story of all-time. Accept no substitutes.

Poison Ivy: "Harley and Ivy" - I find Pamela's brand of eco-terrorism more palatable when she's teamed up with Harley, and this is the peak of that team-up. Paul Dini and Bruce Timm once again, in which the story doesn't have any of the psychological depth of "Mad Love", and is merely delightful pop comics done by two top-tier storytellers. Looooot of fan service here too, I mean a WHOLE lot of fan service. But also quite funny, like when they teamed up to steal a super-rare priceless plant Pamela wanted and Batman dropped in.

Mr. Freeze: Ok, I'm doing some cheating here. The correct answer here is "Watch 'Heart of Ice' and 'Deep Freeze' from the Batman Animated Series", and I'm not gonna argue with it. After you do that, than you can enjoy Paul Dini and Glen Murakami's "White Christmas" from the Batman Adventures Holiday Special #1. Its a small tale, but its done by two of the big leaders behind the great TV show and its easy to miss what an elegant and intelligently designed story it is.

Mad Hatter - "Unresolved" (Gotham Central #19-22)- There's a few Hatter stories I could have picked, but my favorite one he was heavily involved with was Unresolved from Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark. Mostly it allows me to beg you to read Gotham Central, because like Secret Six it was a great book that more people should have bought.

jbuPILBErPDp38.jpg

Red Hood - Cheating again, because there's the original story "Under the REd Hood" Judd Winick and my boy Doug Mahnke did, and you can read that if you like. BUT they recently did a movie version that's actually even better, with Winick on scripting duties and reworking some of the problematic elements of the original into something thrilling and often dramatically satisfying. So if you want the best, watch the movie!

Killer Croc - The only Croc comics I've found worth a damn are the original ones, written by Gerry Conway and drawn by Gene Colan, Don Newton, and Curt Swan. Here, instead of the big dumb muscle he's often portrayed as later, he's actually a pretty smart guy you just wouldn't want to mess with. Batman #357-359, or maybe Detective Comics #525. Alternatively, watch "Vendetta" form the Batman: Animated Series, a cool little noir thriller with a hint of horror movie elements. Croc's actually pretty smart in this one too, although he's now more famous for "I THREW A ROCK AT EM" from "Almost Got 'Em"

Man-Bat - Two options here, you can with the original well-regarded Man-Bat story from Detective Comics #400, or my preferred "Batman and Son" from Morrison and Kubert. The latter doesn't really star Langstrom, but frankly I always thought he was a boring character; the real interest came from the visual juxtaposition of seeing Batman vs Man-Bat, right? Where Batman and Son has that in spades, in a cleverly staged set piece where Batman fights an army of ninja Man-bat commandos(that's right) in an pop comic art museum.

Talia Al Ghul - I want to say the entire Levithan mega-arc from the last leg of Morrison's Batman epic, but again, you need to read from the beginning to get the full effect on how effective her supervillainy is and the total characterization Grant was working with. For a taste, once again, "Batman and Son" will start you down the path. If you just want a quick dose of Talia though, you can do a LOT worse than the Batman-Spider-Man crossover, "New Age Dawning" by J.M. DeMatteis and Graham Nolan/Karl Kessel. Both this and the other Marvel-style Spidey/Bats team-up issues are rather good, cuz they have GREAT art and a writer who really understands the universes. This is my preferred one, its darker Batman tone allows DeMatteis space to delve into characters. And if anyone read his work before, you know DeMatteis is great with understanding characters, and mines the unique crossover story for all its worth. For example, the great scene where Vanessa Fisk and Talia Al Ghul bond over being in love with men who are also monstrous.

Hugo Strange: "Prey" (Legends of the Dark Knight #11-15) - Strange started off as a mad scientist with giant men and spooky castles and all that, but he slowly got toned down a bit, first into a more modern setting in his great appearance in the aforementioned Engelhart-Rogers-Austin run, and then later here where's more of a demented psychiatrist believing he has the key to crack the Bat. I really like this story; its structured a lot like The Dark Knight in that its a dense crime drama mixed with psychological depth and superheroic elements. Paul Gulacy really shines in the action scenes, his Masters of Kung Fu background showing in his martial arts posing and staging.

The Ventriloquist/Scarface - Once again, you got the well-regarded original stories by the great 90s Batman team of Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle. Detective Comics #583-584 is what you want. He always features pretty heavily in the year long, underrated, David Brothers-approved "City of Crime" epic, Detective Comics #801-814.

20401_20060116093153_large.jpg

But my personal favorite story involving Scarface/The Ventriloquist is from the Animated series, "Read My Lips". Top 5 episode in the series, its got everything you want from the show all: a great villain who’s as threatening as he’s psychosally screwed up, sharp witty dialog, smooth animation, another fantastic score, moody visuals to perfectly illustrate its 1930s gangster cinema atmosphere. Love it.

Uh did I forget anybody else

jordisok

Must have had Mad Love in my basket about 10 times and not bought, need to rectify that.

Bit lttp but just read Turtles in Time #1, absolutely brilliant, rare comics get me chuckling aloud.

arkon

Tempted. I'm a bit worried about the huge page count and binding though.

I'm hoping they give it deluxe hardcover treatment eventually like they're doing with Invisibles. I'd prefer that to the huge omnibus.

Thanks for the Batman List. Gonna read some of them.

Yeah I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, he's one of my favorite characters and I started with 60s comics, but I'm done with ASM right now.

It's kind of weird not reading Spidey but at least I get Scarlet Spider through the New Warriors. I'm gonna check out 2099 too.

The only event im excited about : Spiderverse

Edge of Spiderverse and then Spiderverse later this year.

samueeL

Banned
Ordered Batman Black Mirror, Justice League New 52 vol. 3, Supergirl vol. 1, The Swamp Thing vol. 1, Flash Rebirth, Red Hood & Outlaws vol 2. Also pre-ordered Flash vol 3, 4 and 5. Nobody told me this is such expensive hobby... :( How can I control myself when there's so much to buy and read?

Wool

I read a big stack of books yesterday.

Amazing Spider-Man #2-3 I've never read a Spider-Man book before but so far I really like this series. He seems to do a lot of swinging around town and talking to different superheroes/girlfriends/etc. Also, as someone who didn't read SSM, is Anna Maria a midget? She looks so short and stubby.

Prophet #44 Slower issue than the past 5 or 6 issues were, but the art was great. Only one left.

Shutter #2-3 Maybe my new favorite series. So much going on in every single panel. The worm in the apple car, the Tiger Lawyer, the letters column, it's all perfect.

Saga #20 The more I read of this series the more I realize it's just a soap opera. You're always left with that what happens next feeling, but there isn't ever much substance. Also, the art seems lazy compared to other books I've been reading (notably, Shutter). No backgrounds, no details to any of the rooms anyone is in. It's just a series of characters in solid colored boxes. I read Shutter right before this and every inch of that world is fleshed out. Saga always feels like a quick read and I think that's just because there isn't much to look at.

Southern Bastards #2 Great setup issue.
He's got a big stick, shits going down.
That was a great reference to The Natural too...

X-Men #15 This book sucks and I can't believe I've bought 15 issues of it. I have no idea what's going on, or why I should care. Going to drop it next time I am at the store.

X-Force #6 Believe in Simon Spurrier. This is getting really good. Great twist this issue. This feels a lot like an old school X-Men series. Clones, time travel, nanomachines, technobabble, etc. The way it's been going into the psychological problems everybody on the team has is great. Probably my favorite current X-series.

Hellblazer TP Vol 2 Really great stuff. The art is so much different than anything we get in modern books, but I love it. A lot of the pages look more like paintings than MS Paint. I'll definitely get the next couple TP's. You get ~300 pages of greatness for $11, and the paper quality is great.

The Invisibles Omnibus I've had this for over a year and just finally finished it. I get the feeling it was more groundbreaking and radical feeling when it was first published. Transvestites don't mean a thing these days. Anyway, the book had some great moments, but the last 10 issues or so really fell off. It would have been good if the art was more consistent. I'd like to read something else by Grant Morrison to see how it compares.

Messi

What's the best way to start reading Invincible? I don't do compendiums so TPB or Ultimate collection? Same goes for Walking Dead actually.

Wool you are correct about Anna Maria.

kd-z

Sweet Jesus does this thread move fast! And such interesting posts! I'll have a lot to read on my train ride tomorrow.

Could anybody say something about Superman: Unchained? I don't think it has been discussed here very much. I'm asking because Chris Sims off-handedly mentioned it being very good in his review of Johns' and Romita's new Superman ( book http://comicsalliance.com/superman-32-review-geoff-johns-john-romita-jr-new-52/ ) and I'm wondering what did you guys think.

Chinner

Banned
Preacher is really good.

Finished the first lot of saga, it's good but kinda 'edgy'. Will check out more but feels like it's throwing so much stuff out so quickly to see what sticks.

Sweet Jesus does this thread move fast! And such interesting posts! I'll have a lot to read on my train ride tomorrow.

Could anybody say something about Superman: Unchained? I don't think it has been discussed here very much. I'm asking because Chris Sims off-handedly mentioned it being very good in his review of Johns' and Romita's new Superman ( book http://comicsalliance.com/superman-32-review-geoff-johns-john-romita-jr-new-52/ ) and I'm wondering what did you guys think.

It's Snyder, who is a technically a good writer but does not quite gasp the character of Superman and Jim Lee.....being Jim Lee. The most interesting parts of the book are the Lane stuff and the villain.

I only read the first issue but I did enjoy it. I just fell behind a bit. I'll probably pick up the trade.

My first IST order will have to wait for next month. Just won eBay auctions for Absolute Sandman Volume 2 and Volume 4. Lost out on Volume 3 and Absolute Death by a couple of dollars.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I read that same article, and my eyes crossed when I read Sims' praise for Unchained. There have been some gaps in the publication of the series, but overall, I would say this comic was released solely so that they could put Jim Lee and Scott Snyder on the cover of a Superman comic. There's no real characterization--there's just this dumbass overblown story with on-the-nose nods to 1938. There's just nothing interesting about this book, unless you really enjoy overly chatty, uninteresting, ripped dudes punching the shit out of missiles and each other.

Also, they were hyping this "revolutionary never-before-seen" comic book creation that turned out to be a double sided gatefold of Superman flying through a satellite or ship or some space shit.

Zombine

Banned
She is sending gaf a message.

AMANDA CONNER IS DOING THE NEW CATWOMAN BOOK.

The print that I got sent was the one of Catwoman pulling the pearls out of her chest. I'll take pics after! I also got the Sandman Omnibi! All right before vacation!

Filthy Slug

The print that I got sent was the one of Catwoman pulling the pearls out of her chest. I'll take pics after! I also got the Sandman Omnibi! All right before vacation!
The black-trim Sandman pages on that are really damn nice, but they totally rub off and youre going to have black smudges all over everywhere.

good ass posts, VJC. Gonna have to keep an eye out.
Riddler was good in this though.

yo but the ending was terrible, with the whole
"if everyone knows it, it's no longer a riddle"
stuff. I feel like Riddler would not give a shit about that if his goal is just to prove that he could outsmart Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom