• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Spider-Woman bishoujo. I do have the X-Force Psylocke though.

Yeah, I love the X-Force Psylocke, but my only complaint is that after a while, you realize she's just colored black, black, and more black. Which is fine, but this new colorway hits all the right aesthetics for me.

sca2511

I might be passing on the new Psylocke recolor since I have the original version which uses the same color scheme (except the rad purple hair gradient)

So I was going through DC's September solicits again and this one caught my eye. I don't remember anyone mentioning it before, but it sounds interesting. I'm guessing it's a Vertigo book.

The Names #1

New York City. Forty-year-old Kevin Walker is a successful trader. He’s incredibly rich. He has a young, sexy wife and a son he adores. He has everything. Until…
The mysterious man known as the Surgeon walks into Kevin’s office. He takes a seat and tells Kevin to write a suicide note. Trembling but obedient, Kevin does what the Surgeon says. Then, at a word from this well-dressed figure, Kevin jumps out his window and falls fifty stories to his death. Thus begins THE NAMES, an 8-issue miniseries by writer Peter Milligan (HELLBLAZER, SKREEMER) and artist Leandro Fernandez (Wolverine, Punisher: Max). THE NAMES is a dark, contemporary thriller set in the world of Big Money: hedge funds, leveraged buyouts, market raids, flash crashes. High-end finance that can ruin entire economies, run by a cabal of the world’s richest (and sickest) people. Now, it’s up to Katya Walker – the beautiful and deadly wife of the late Kevin – to take on this hidden power structure and find out who killed her husband, and why. No matter what it takes. No matter who she has to kill.
It’s The Wolf of Wall Street meets Kill Bill. And heaven help the 1%.

NAMES-Cv1-0b58e.jpg

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Ms. Marvel, Outcast, and Saga are my three favs of the week. Least favs would be Amazing Spiderman, Fantastic Four, and Trees. I'm hoping Trees focuses in on its narrative in the next few issues. I'll probably also pick up New Avengers Annual after finding out more about it.

I'm hoping Low from Remender turns out to be good. I favor Black Science to Deadly Class thus far. Also like Uncanny Avengers more than DC, too now that the first DC arc has finished.

I favor Black Science to Deadly Class thus far. Also like Uncanny Avengers more than DC, too now that the first DC arc has finished.

Really? I think I feel the opposite. Only because books with a lot of SCIENCE! aspects tend to read better in trade format. Manhattan Projects, for example. It's hard for me to keep track of what happened in the last issue of books like that, for some reason.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Really? I think I feel the opposite. Only because books with a lot of SCIENCE! aspects tend to read better in trade format. Manhattan Projects, for example. It's hard for me to keep track of what happened in the last issue of books like that, for some reason.

I still like DC, but if I had to pick of his current work, it would be my least fav. How's concept reminds me a little of Bioshock, so my interest is piqued.

8bit

Knows the Score
any of you guys read that Doctor Who/Star Trek crossover for a couple years back? How was it?

The story is fun and full of well done fan service, but the art is abysmal. Parts of it will make you wonder if you've developed glaucoma while reading.

Bii

So I was going through DC's September solicits again and this one caught my eye. I don't remember anyone mentioning it before, but it sounds interesting. I'm guessing it's a Vertigo book.

Sounds promising. Thanks for the heads up.

-

The Fuse #4

14476469886_b5c6e02a25_o.jpg

It's funny how in this issue, not a lot is happening yet it still has me hooked. A lot of secrets are unfolding (seems like every character is hiding something) and it almost felt like the writer is force-feeding us drama at every turn. It looks like more secrets will be spilled in the next issue given the last few sequences that Dietrich goes through.

14312974938_50e88c1386_o.jpg
14312925180_a75cbffda0_o.jpg

Brought up before, but I just want to say what a God send Bloodspell is. It's inviting and FUN. Quinones art really shines, especially since he isn't trying to do an Allred impersonation. Unique and flavorful poses and expressions. Oozing character. I have never been a fan of buddy stories but this made me a believer. Zee is written so much better than the gloomy damsel to Constantine written by Ray Fawkes and DemAtteis. I would kill for more books like this.

Messi

Brought up before, but I just want to say what a God send Bloodspell is. It's inviting and FUN. Quinones art really shines, especially since he isn't trying to do an Allred impersonation. Unique and flavorful poses and expressions. Oozing character. I have never been a fan of buddy stories but this made me a believer. Zee is written so much better than the gloomy damsel to Constantine written by Ray Fawkes and DemAtteis. I would kill for more books like this.

It's the Dini effect. He writes fun women.

Nah, but seriously, the art in #12 was lovely, the story engaging. Both it and Futures End were delightful this week. If they keep this up, any hiccups at the start of the runs won't matter.

Messi

Nah, but seriously, the art in #12 was lovely, the story engaging. Both it and Futures End were delightful this week. If they keep this up, any hiccups at the start of the runs won't matter.

Eternal had hiccups at the start? I didn't think so. Really enjoyed it all so far.

Some of us have been waiting for that for a while, since it was announced around this time last year. As well as Lee Bermejo's The Suiciders.

Stephanie Brown has been one of my areas of interest in Eternal. Where Bluebird though?

Messi

Some of us have been waiting for that for a while, since it was announced around this time last year. As well as Lee Bermejo's The Suiciders.

Stephanie Brown has been one of my areas of interest in Eternal. Where Bluebird though?

She will be introduced mid run I'd assume.

I am doing my voting now. Can I vote for Harley #0 Directors Cut? Is that cheating? I'd you folks have any spare points please give Harley Quinn #7 some consideration. I believe it really deserves to chart this month.

Zombine

Banned
She will be introduced mid run I'd assume.

I am doing my voting now. Can I vote for Harley #0 Directors Cut? Is that cheating? I'd you folks have any spare points please give Harley Quinn #7 some consideration. I believe it really deserves to chart this month.

How was directors cut? I never picked it up on Wednesday and I'm regretting that decision. #7 definitely gets my vote, though.

Messi

How was directors cut? I never picked it up on Wednesday and I'm regretting that decision. #7 definitely gets my vote, though.

To me it was worth it to see more of Amanda Conners process along with Jimmy Palmiotti and Chad Hardin. It's a bit messy but overall it's worth it for the sketches and commentary.

Bout to read a double dose of QUALITY here.

I expect full reviews.

Also enjoy :)

Edit: not sure how I feel about that steel counter. It's no white counter that's for sure. Maybe it's a bit better than Biis carpet. But not Korupts carpet.

Zombine

Banned
To me it was worth it to see more of Amanda Conners process along with Jimmy Palmiotti and Chad Hardin. It's a bit messy but overall it's worth it for the sketches and commentary.

Just picked it up on your recommendation.

Anyone else reading Justice League Dark? I love the cover for #32

Justice_League_Dark_Vol_1-32_Cover-1_Teaser.jpg

ZATANNA IS IN THAT?

Only since like issue #1.

---

not sure how I feel about that steel counter. It's no white counter that's for sure. Maybe it's a bit better than Biis carpet. But not Korupts carpet.

I'm at work I don't have many options for quality surfaces.

I love how stream of consciousness Queen Nocenti is. She forgets what she was writing halfway through a paragraph and just contradicts herself.

YOU'RE OUT. OKAY YOU'RE IN.

Only everytime I read you Catwoman.

I like to imagine Nocenti thinks in this broken, stilted manner. That she really does notice these pointless non sequitors in real life.

I feel bad for everyone associated with this book that does fine work but is dragged down by Queen Nocenti. I imagine the drinking habits of "Volt" in this issue reflect those of her editorial staff.

phoenixyz

This weeks comics:

Batman #32, just great again. consistently my favorite comic each week it comes out. I can't believe it's the penultimate issue already. Is there any information on who will take over Batman after #33?

Batman Eternal #12, everyone wears the same kind of glasses. What's up with that? Story progresses, not the biggest fan of the art. The generic look is such a hard contrast to last weeks issue.

Justice League #31, the dialogue between
Bruce and Lex
was badass. I wanted to drop this after FE but the last two issues have me hooked again.

Outcast #1, not exactly the most daring and fresh story but a strong first issue nevertheless. I liked it more than Wicked+Divine.

Saga #20, well, that escalated quickly. The pacing is great. After the rather slow issue #19 stuff is heating up. Although I agree that some more detail would do the artwork good.

Secret Origins #3, all three stories were cool this time. Especially for someone who is not deeply rooted into the DCU (me) those short stories jump start your knowledge about the characters very well.

Trees #2, I hope this doesn't become an East of West were there are 3-4 issues of setup before every issue with some action (as in plot progression). But it's still too early to tell obviously.

Batman RIP Deluxe Edition (which can also be had paperback, but I don't think the paperback contains the two issues that tied into Final Crisis)
The normal R.I.P. paperback includes the two tie-ins (you mean the ones where
Batman fights off this Clayface-ripoff in his dreams
, right?).

This weeks comics:

Batman #32, just great again. consistently my favorite comic each week it comes out. I can't believe it's the penultimate issue already. Is there any information on who will take over Batman after #33?

[).

Some guys named Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. With some guest artist between arcs.

kd-z

Everybody, please, please, PLEASE read Six-Gun Gorilla. La Maquinion wasn't joking about how amazing this is. I'm on a train ride, took this book with me expecting something awesome and original. Instead I got a beautiful, imaginative and real comic that made me overflow with emotion to the point I had to stop reading because I was starting to tear up and I don't want to cry like a baby on the damn train.
Will finish reading either tonight or tomorrow morning, when my head is clear. I'm so glad I bought this and I won't shut up about it until everyone has read it.

On a different note, been catching up with the last 30-or-so pages of this thread (didn' Hvar much time cause of exams) and I, too, am interested in reading Spike' awful something. Could I get a PM?

This weeks comics:

Batman Eternal #12, everyone wears the same kind of glasses. What's up with that? Story progresses, not the biggest fan of the art. The generic look is such a hard contrast to last weeks issue.

Justice League #31, the dialogue between
Bruce and Lex
was badass. I wanted to drop this after FE but the last two issues have me hooked again.

Outcast #1, not exactly the most daring and fresh story but a strong first issue nevertheless. I liked it more than Wicked+Divine.

Saga #20, well, that escalated quickly. The pacing is great. After the rather slow issue #19 stuff is heating up. Although I agree that some more detail would do the artwork good.

Secret Origins #3, all three stories were cool this time. Especially for someone who is not deeply rooted into the DCU (me) those short stories jump start your knowledge about the characters very well.

Trees #2, I hope this doesn't become an East of West were there are 3-4 issues of setup before every issue with some action (as in plot progression). But it's still too early to tell obviously.

The normal R.I.P. paperback includes the two tie-ins (you mean the ones where
Batman fights off this Clayface-ripoff in his dreams
, right?).
Trees only has about three issues left. Ellis is mustering up the strength right now to finish it. So it won't have that problem.

Princess Ugg was incredible. I hope it doesn't suffer the Oni curse.

phoenixyz

By the way, Injustice: Gods Among Us is on sale (Steam Summer Sale). Is it worth buying? When it comes to fighting games I am a fookin casual, but I enjoy the occasional round, especially offline multiplayer.

kd-z

By the way, Injustice: Gods Among Us is on sale (Steam Summer Sale). Is it worth buying? When it comes to fighting games I am a fookin casual, but I enjoy the occasional round, especially offline multiplayer.
I played the PC version with the 360 controller and the experience was dreadful, but it's probably something wrony with me. I had trouble executing even the simplest moves, the analog sticks were not precise enough and the d-pad is a piece of crap.
It was especially frustrating since I liked MK9 a lot. I played that on PS3 though. And it's not that I don't like the 360 pad, I actually like it quite a lot.

Oh, the game itself was cool, though. The only things I didn't like was how a couple characters hover above the groubd instead of walking and that Batman felt lame. Green Arrow was boss though and alternate-reality Lex Luthor rocked.

I got it for PS4 during their Store sale and I've certainly enjoyed my time with it despite being a fighting game noob. Having access to that library of characters made it worth it for me on it's own.

phoenixyz

I got it for PS4 during their Store sale and I've certainly enjoyed my time with it despite being a fighting game noob. Having access to that library of characters made it worth it for me on it's own.
I played the PC version with the 360 controller and the experience was dreadful, but it's probably something wrony with me. I had trouble executing even the simplest moves, the analog sticks were not precise enough and the d-pad is a piece of crap.
It was especially frustrating since I liked MK9 a lot. I played that on PS3 though. And it's not that I don't like the 360 pad, I actually like it quite a lot.

Oh, the game itself was cool, though. The only things I didn't like was how a couple characters hover above the groubd instead of walking and that Batman felt lame. Green Arrow was boss though and alternate-reality Lex Luthor rocked.
Thanks for the feedback. I just bought it as I use my DS3 on PC anyway.

They are on til issue 50.
That's awesome.

Li Kao

Ok, so I maybe have a clue about what my new comic book habit will be. I cut a lot of the big two production because as much as my ocd tells me to read every fucking thing to follow some sort of meta universe... I just realized that it was profoundly stupid when I still have to discover so much classics.
So I just began reading From Hell.
And I hate grim & gritty.

tumblr_lso6d2OLz21r0byljo1_250.gif

More seriously I was casually browsing a best graphic novel of all time list and while taking a peek at the From Hell entry I discovered that the disturbing and very dark part of the book is just that, a part of it. Didn't know that. Always assumed the story was centered on Jack and the killings. A portrayal of 19th century England ? Politic issues ? Gender issues ? Sign me the fuck up. And I must say that while I often struggle to like "rough" drawings, I was genuinely stunned by a lot of panels, this is fucking bordering art.

Zombine

Banned
50 issues huh

you tellin me zero year hasn't already passed that mark up
lV2kE.png

That mark up is honestly what made me drop the book. I was getting slaughtered.

Edit:
Holy. Fuck. Bros. Bro. Oh my god. Dudes. Dudette. Holy shit. Order from Paperfilms. They are sending me my Black Cat print for free. I feel awful right now. I'm going to go order at least two more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom