• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Zombine

Banned
Browsing though the Shenmue Kickstarter thread, a particular post sums up my feelings for Sony's press conference in general:

Their whole E3 conference is REALLY sneaky once you get past the OMFG kneejerk reaction.

TLG! But...it looks exactly the same as it did 6 years, and its still not very exciting. "2016" huh...

FF7! But...who knows when that will ever come out, see Versus and KH3.

SHENMUE 3! But...a goddamn Kickstarter campaign? Pretttttty tacky

Meanwhile, the Vita is deader than dead, and Sony's 2015 line-up still lookin' real flabby and sick. They hope you don't notice that as they talk about the future.

Yep. With the exception of the Uncharted video and the new IP, that conference was shady as shit.

tim1138

It's also different when it's mobsters rather than iconic villains. You're not going to regularly kill them off versus random mob guy. A book like that would really have to go back to its roots.

Plus it would fly in the face of what DC has very carefully crafted Batman to be and stand for.

Browsing though the Shenmue Kickstarter thread, a particular post sums up my feelings for Sony's press conference in general:

Yep. With the exception of the Uncharted video and the new IP, that conference was shady as shit.

An entertainment company played up nostalgia to build excitement and goodwill for its brand?! Never!!!

Sony admitted they don't have a great line-up for the rest of the year. It makes sense to look further into the future for the games they know people want to play.

snakeoil.jpg

Sony admitted they don't have a great line-up for the rest of the year. It makes sense to look further into the future for the games they know people want to play.

They haven't had a good lineup since it launched. What have they been doing?

Messi

Yeah this is how I feel about it.

snakeoil.jpg

They haven't had a good lineup since it launched. What have they been doing?

It has been pretty quiet. I haven't played the Order but I've enjoyed the PS4 exclusives that have been on offer. Nintendo are the only ones who have had a strong exclusive line up on their home console and most have of those have been new entries in old franchises. Most of which don't interest me. It looks like Microsoft will be following the same pattern with a new Gears, a new Halo and a new Forza. New exclusive IPs seem to be becoming a rarity. Thankfully there's a shit load of multiplatform games to enjoy.

Zombine

Banned
On the flip side, here is what Microsoft announced:

Pro Controller (2015)
Forza (2015)
Halo 5 (2015) + free DLC maps
Tomb Raider
New UI
Gears beta
Backwards Compatibilty
Rare Collection
"Mods" (don't care, I have a gaming rig, but I can see this being big for console only peeps.)

And they showed us 2016+ titles like Gears, and that sandy ball game featuring Keiji Inafune's washed up ass. Those are big. Then Spencer announced that they were giving their 2016 line up room to breathe and would dive deeper into 3 games (including Crackdown) at Gamescom.

And please don't see this as me being an Xbox fanboy or anything. I own and play everything including my gaming PC, but when it comes down to Sony vs Microsoft, Microsoft has the clear advantage for 2015, and by volume their 2016 is looking bigger as well (with the exception of Uncharted which looks hype on sony's end.)

Still can't comprehend what kinda brilliant individual decided on the 150 obamabucks price point for their controller. What a wise decision.

Pro Controller (2015)
Forza (2015)
Tomb Raider
New UI
Gears beta
Backwards Compatibilty
Rare Collection
"Mods" (don't care, I have a gaming rig, but I can see this being big for console only peeps.)

And they showed us 2016+ titles like Gears, and that sandy ball game featuring Keiji Inafune's washed up ass. Those are big. Then Spencer announced that they were giving their 2016 line up room to breathe and would dive deeper into 3 games (including Crackdown) at Gamescom.

And please don't see this as me being an Xbox fanboy or anything. I own and play everything including my gaming PC, but when it comes down to Sony vs Microsoft, Microsoft has the clear advantage for 2015, and by volume their 2016 is looking bigger as well (with the exception of Uncharted which looks hype on sony's end.)

Personally I'm more excited about the PS4 Tearaway and the Uncharted collection than the Gears 1 remaster or a 343 Halo. They definitely have the better 2015 for new exclusives though. I wish Bungie was still making Halo, 4 was pretty soulless and it looks like they're trying to turn it into Republic Commando with Guardians. It is good to see Gears is back though. The demo was lackluster but if it turns out well it might be the time to pick up an Xbox One. As long as it's more like Gears 3 and less like Judgement.

That new UI is definitely an improvement as well.

From my perspective and bias, Sony won me and my wife over. We even bought a second PS4 for the house yesterday. Horizon and Last Guardian are my games of the show. There is plenty to play this year from 3rd parties. I'm still playing MLB The Show like crazy and that released in April. Batman in a week. Fallout 4, Battlefront, and new CoD at the end of the year. A huge Destiny expansion and smaller games like Tearaway.

Plus the biggest reason to favor a PS4 over the Xbone, is these games will run better on the PS4.

From my perspective and bias, Sony won me and my wife over. We even bought a second PS4 for the house yesterday. Horizon and Last Guardian are my games of the show. There is plenty to play this year from 3rd parties. I'm still playing MLB The Show like crazy and that released in April. Batman in a week. Fallout 4, Battlefront, and new CoD at the end of the year. A huge Destiny expansion and smaller games like Tearaway.

Plus the biggest reason to favor a PS4 over the Xbone, is these games will run better on the PS4.

Yep, more than enough for me to play personally. No Man's Sky and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture look great as well.

Personally I'm more excited about the PS4 Tearaway and the Uncharted collection than the Gears 1 remaster or a 343 Halo. They definitely have the better 2015 for new exclusives though. I wish Bungie was still making Halo, 4 was pretty soulless and it looks like they're trying to turn it into Republic Commando with Guardians. It is good to see Gears is back though. The demo was lackluster but if it turns out well it might be the time to pick up an Xbox One. As long as it's more like Gears 3 and less like Judgement.

That new UI is definitely an improvement as well.

I wholly disagree with the 343 hate. Halo 4 was a step away from what made Halo special, but functionally it was a damn good game and a lot of fun. MCC was a fuck up for a variety of reasons, but it was out of their hands. Halo 5 from what I played of the beta, feels like a Halo game. There aren't any class gimmicks or bullshit. The Spartan abilities are there to spice things up and they do so without compromising the ideals of the first Halo games. It's a return to a focus on map control and power weapons, and that's more than good enough for me when it plays as well as it does.

I wholly disagree with the 343 hate. Halo 4 was a step away from what made Halo special, but functionally it was a damn good game and a lot of fun. MCC was a fuck up for a variety of reasons, but it was out of their hands. Halo 5 from what I played of the beta, feels like a Halo game. There aren't any class gimmicks or bullshit. The Spartan abilities are there to spice things up and they do so without compromising the ideals of the first Halo games. It's a return to a focus on map control and power weapons, and that's more than good enough for me when it plays as well as it does.

How so?

Also how's the TTK on h5?

I wouldn't say it was a bad game either. It's probably a solid 7/10 but the campaign was too linear without the open areas we've come to expect of Halo, the story required too much knowledge of other Halo media such as the latest books in the series and the multiplayer didn't have that Halo spark in my opinion. I still put a decent amount of time into it though and it was fun at times. I didn't play the Halo 5 beta so I can't say what it'll turn out like.

Owzers

Microsoft continuing Halo and Gears reminds me of Pet Sematary, they can't let it go. At the same time, Halo lost me with Halo 2's cliffhanger ending and making me wait for the 360 to "finish the fight" and i didn't enjoy that fight. It's definitely not Fable Legends bad as far as keeping a franchise going, but it's well past the point of hype for me. If i ever cave and get an Xbox One it will be for Sunset Overdrive, State of Decay, Recore, and other games like that.

I don't blame them for keeping their biggest franchises alive though.

How so?

I meant to say it seemed to be. There was a talk of having to combine all these netcodes in a limited amount of time, which is why it came out in such rough shape. I'm not sure how much was in 343's control.

TTK varies per gun, but it's the same for BRs, pistols, some of the other guns as it was for Halo 3.

I wouldn't say it was a bad game either. It's probably a solid 7/10 but the campaign was too linear without the open areas we've come to expect of Halo, the story required too much knowledge of other Halo media such as the latest books in the series and the multiplayer didn't have that Halo spark in my opinion. I still put a decent amount of time into it though and it was fun at times. I didn't play the Halo 5 beta so I can't say what it'll turn out like.

Oh ok wait, I have to admit some short-sightedness here: I didn't play the Halo 4 campaign at all. lol

I just feel like they get hate for trying to streamline the MP, which really from a business standpoint SEEMED like a good idea. But the fans ultimately didn't like that direction. The game wasn't bad though.

I think both their conferences were good, MS has way more stuff for 2015 though. I can't say I've ever been interested in Halo or Gears of War. I've accepted that I'm an old man at 26 and multiplayer FPS's are a younger man's game. Was hoping to see some god of war teaser even if it were CGI.

Here's to hoping we get a US release date for Bravely Second and some good 2015 stuff for Nintendo. I think they're still able to push out a lot of good exclusives that I'd be interested in for the near future. I'm pretty pleased as a pc gamer though I'm not sure purchasing a ps4 was so wise on my part so early. This gen has had a lot more multiplatform games, especially with eastern studios becoming more and more pc friendly.

zennyzz

Only really excited for tomb raider and gears, which is a remaster so... ehhhh.

Never been a big rare fan and I loath 343 halo.

That UI is nice tho.

But Sony gave me Bloodborne and that can tide me over exclusive wise for the entire year.

And I still got my zillion weeb games still coming, which Xbone lacks.

Pro Controller (2015)
Forza (2015)
Tomb Raider
New UI
Gears beta
Backwards Compatibilty
Rare Collection

I only want to play Tomb Raider out of that and I can wait. And maybe Metroid Knack after they show what it is.
The Rare thing is cool though.

Still can't comprehend what kinda brilliant individual decided on the 150 obamabucks price point for their controller. What a wise decision.
Honestly, if the price is a turn off then it's not meant for you. I've spent hundreds on my arcade sticks and I'll probably buy another for the PS4. They still have a perfectly functional controller for a fraction of the price.

Also comics: Seeing PG on sale along with Starfire hype makes me want to reread Power Trip so maybe I'll do that.

That's akin to zumbeen complaining that he's too short.

Turning 26 in July, and Competitive First/Third Person Shooters are my thing. You're not old either lol.

fffff, when your team loses you'll know who the weak link is!

Truthfully mobas and mmo's have consumed my gaming time. TF2 was the last big multiplayer shooter I was into but I wouldn't even consider that a true 100% shooter. Overwatch looks interesting.

Ms had a solid lineup but again they're on that Forza/halo/gears treadmill or addicted to CG trailers. And they have tomb raider but man that looked so average after what uncharted 4 showed. I think MS will do great this fall once again, but even with owning all the consoles the games this fall I want the most aren't MSs exclusives. A it's games like battlefront or Metal gear which I'll get on PC or ps4 due to performance. Halo showed very poorly to me. Sooo COD and that constant fire team bugs me. I can't believe I might not get a halo game day one. Honestly after the showing the one game I pre ordered was the rare collection.

I get that Sony stuff is far away but I've got metal gear, Destiny, and more games this fall than I can play already from last fall even. I wish uncharted 4 was this fall but I can wait. And yes the trinity of lost games are all niche in some ways. But I've been a huge team ico fan since the first ICO demo I played from my OPM demo disc. So I couldn't believe to know they exist

I hope Nintendo goes nuts too

Heartily agreed! The H5 beta was some of the best Halo I've ever played, and I've been playing since CE.

How so?

Pretty good. Around H3, or what H3 would be if the BR could hit anything reliably. Longer than CE, shorter than most of the other games.

Microsoft continuing Halo and Gears reminds me of Pet Sematary, they can't let it go. At the same time, Halo lost me with Halo 2's cliffhanger ending and making me wait for the 360 to "finish the fight" and i didn't enjoy that fight. It's definitely not Fable Legends bad as far as keeping a franchise going, but it's well past the point of hype for me. If i ever cave and get an Xbox One it will be for Sunset Overdrive, State of Decay, Recore, and other games like that.

I don't blame them for keeping their biggest franchises alive though.

I wouldn't write off Fable Legends yet. It's shaping up extremely well in the beta.

Tizoc

Pro Controller (2015)
Forza (2015)
Tomb Raider
New UI
Gears beta
Backwards Compatibilty
Rare Collection

There was something for everybody this E3.
The only thing I wanted from what was shown during MS' conference is the Rare Collection which I will harass my friend to get since he has a Bone.
Far as the games they shown, most of them weren't interesting footage, mostly just...walking.
If anything Sonty just did what MS did last year by announcing titles.
How they come to be is not important, what matters is that they are coming. Last Guardian is an adventure style game that I like and the visuals are nice so it's def. on my to get list.

There's already games releasing THIS year that'll keep you entertained til next year's releases and then those will keep you entertained til 2017's releases.

I can't help but find that some complaints lose their merit and feel like the person is just doing it to get in on all the E3 discussion :V

I'll say this though:
I stayed up for Ubisoft event and had some good laughs, but as much cringe worthy shit as well.
I much rather remember the good laughs and make fun of the cringey shit than complain about it :V

Top Bottom