• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

I read The Black Mirror and the first volume of Morrison's Batman and Robin. i also read some of Tony Daniel's Batman run where Dick Grayson was Batman. I realized I really enjoyed him as Batman but haven't really read anything with him as Nightwing or in his new spy role.

The best Nightwing comics is Dixon's run back in the 2000's pre-52 era. I'd recommend that over the Higgin's stuff which was at best average

I read The Black Mirror and the first volume of Morrison's Batman and Robin. i also read some of Tony Daniel's Batman run where Dick Grayson was Batman. I realized I really enjoyed him as Batman but haven't really read anything with him as Nightwing or in his new spy role.

I feel like B&R and BM are probably the best, but Dixon's run (and later Tomasi's) is still considered the definitive Nightwing.

The Judas Contract (Teen Titans) is also a must-read, though it's a little older.

Messi

Read Black Canary. It was alright. Art was great in places. What story was there was serviceable. I'll give it another issue or two.

Read Black Canary. It was alright. Art was great in places. What story was there was serviceable. I'll give it another issue or two.

I thought there was alot of great story telling even in the silent moments like when Dinah is standing backstage about to go out and you can see that mental preparation going on, that downtime before the frenetic energy and action.

I'm still wrapping my head around Dinah as a punk rock singer. I've read her in throughout 100 issues or more Dixon and Simone's Birds of prey run.

Granted she's been a mess in N52 prior to this but is she still considered one of the top 5 martial artists In the DC universe?

So I was just reading over this week's upcoming books and I noticed that Brian K. Vaughn is a traitor now.

EDIT: Oh his wife is Canadian. So he's been a traitor for a long time. Well, not reading anything from him ever again.

Messi

I'm still wrapping my head around Dinah as a punk rock singer. I've read her in throughout 100 issues or more Dixon and Simone's Birds of prey run.

Granted she's been a mess in N52 prior to this but is she still considered one of the top 5 martial artists In the DC universe?

To be fair. She does kick some ass in this issue. Her last big appearance via birds of prey was pretty Meh. The Batgirl issues made he seem really stuck up. Even though she has every right to be pissed with Babs.

I got a feeling JL: God and Monsters is gonna be the greatest animated movie Bruce Timm has ever done next to Mask of the Phantasm.

If the writer says she's a martial arts master then she's a martial arts master.

To be fair. She does kick some ass in this issue. Her last big appearance via birds of prey was pretty Meh. The Batgirl issues made he seem really stuck up. Even though she has every right to be pissed with Babs.
I hated both of them in those issues. God that Babs redo is so disappointing. Turned them into bitchy kids. Only lasted two issues.

So many of these new female lead comics seem to be carried by character design and strong art. Granted with more instances the quality will gravitate down to average. But it's still disapointing. Need a stronger new crop of writers.

Messi

I hated both of them in those issues. God that Babs redo is so disappointing. Turned them into bitchy kids. Only lasted two issues.

So many of these new female lead comics seem to be carried by character design and strong art. Granted with more instances the quality will gravitate down to average. But it's still disapointing. Need a stronger new crop of writers.

How do you feel about the writing in Gotham Academy? I think it is really good.

How do you feel about the writing in Gotham Academy? I think it is really good.
I like it. Although for some reason outside of the two lead characters I forget who the others are when a new issue shows up. Ms marvel is pretty good too but I don't like it as most people here do.

Her superpower is voice related so making her a singer doesn't really seem like that much of a stretch.

Annie Wu is amazing tho. Let's all agree on that. Black Canary has a handful of fantastic panels
Yup. And this might be too cynical but I sometimes I wonder if these companies know they have such a strong artist and character design that if the writing is just ok it'll do well and if it's above that it's a bonus.

Yup. And this might be too cynical but I sometimes I wonder if these companies know they have such a strong artist and character design that if the writing is just ok it'll do well and if it's above that it's a bonus.

My biggest complaint about all the female led books out now is that there all almost the same writing wise.

I dunno, I think Spider-Gwen's improved since it started and is finally finding its groove. The last issue had a Lady Gaga Black Cat fighting with ninjas while Gwen shouts "It's big American cheeseburger time!"

And that's just fantastic

Zombine

Banned
EDIT: Oh his wife is Canadian. So he's been a traitor for a long time. Well, not reading anything from him ever again.

ATT00010.gif

Has Comixology been fucking up a lot for everyone else lately? I've had several instances in the last few weeks where I either download one book and it's another book entirely (like today, Mortal Kombat X is a Wonder Woman issue) or the panels are all jumbled up and chopped off.

Ever since Amazon bought them its declined :/

I wouldn't know because the art is what kept me from picking it up. Just don't care for it.
D67G8qU.png

Has Comixology been fucking up a lot for everyone else lately? I've had several instances in the last few weeks where I either download one book and it's another book entirely (like today, Mortal Kombat X is a Wonder Woman issue) or the panels are all jumbled up and chopped off.

I've been having lots of issues with their browser reader for PC. It's been taking an eternity to load and sometimes doesn't at all. Very frustrating. I contacted customer support and they didn't have any solutions beyond "use your cellular data to do so" which kinda sucks. I know Isak has said they're a small team but I would expect Amazon to give them all of the money and tech they need for anything.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Have not had that problem yet.

Isak_Borg

D67G8qU.png

I've been having lots of issues with their browser reader for PC. It's been taking an eternity to load and sometimes doesn't at all. Very frustrating. I contacted customer support and they didn't have any solutions beyond "use your cellular data to do so" which kinda sucks. I know Isak has said they're a small team but I would expect Amazon to give them all of the money and tech they need for anything.

I'll reach out to folks and see wtf is up.

That arguments got whiskers on it. Obviously if I've played this much, I find the story and the lore more than satisfying.

Is it frustrating seeing people continue to play and enjoy the game, leaving that frail and aging argument about a wack story unheeded? Like if we'd only listen and realize that we actually haven't been having the fun we think we've been having.

I didn't slam AK, in fact I said I'd likely buy it. But there's something about Destiny that drives people like you to go right to the slam and, ipso facto, the guy who for some reason enjoys playing it.

As far as MMOs, no way, that shit is boring as fuck. Destiny follows the same sort of structure but I get to shoot stuff with brand new weapons all the time that are constantly unlocking new ways to fuck shit up. Constantly, every day.

I suppose at some point I will have leveled up every single thing I could but I don't see the math coming together on that, I really don't.

Given your description, you might wanna give Warframe a try, chief. It's like Destiny, but free, with free expansions, and with less contempt for their customers.

Or witcher 3. 250h for 50 obamas.

Am I the only one in ComicsGAF who didn't get Arkham Knight yet?

I got it with my 970, so I didn't pay for it. I'm waiting for patches now though, gonna take awhile.

Given your description, you might wanna give Warframe a try, chief. It's like Destiny, but free, with free expansions, and with less contempt for their customers.

Is such a thing even possible?

Or witcher 3. 250h for 50 obamas.

Got this for free as well. It's really good but kind of slow. Slow's good sometimes though. Still getting used to the combat, I'm taking too much damage most of the time. Still, I played it for several hours this weekend. I'd have played more but the humidity is killing me.

Owzers

I got it with my 970, so I didn't pay for it. I'm waiting for patches now though, gonna take awhile.

Got this for free as well. It's really good but kind of slow. Slow's good sometimes though. Still getting used to the combat, I'm taking too much damage most of the time. Still, I played it for several hours this weekend. I'd have played more but the humidity is killing me.

I get hit all the time, i was watching a video of terrible hit boxes where it looks like you are out of the way and you take damage anyways.

He also works 12 hrs a day 6 days a week. Which has lead to heart problems. goes to show working absurd hours month after month even in something you love is awful for your health.

oh man. Too much work.

No. Not like this Sejic. Please. :(.

I know he has been really sick for months but this sucks.

He was perfect for Rat Queens. Why? Top Cow?! I mean, WAT? Are they even any good these days? Witchblade is ending, so I don't know what that says. Other than that, what does Top Cow have?

That matters, I mean.

Wth I just bought the trades because Sejic came on. I haven't even read them yet. I do not approve.

Rat Queens is still tops. The writing is still great. I just really wanted Sejic to stay on this book.

Nightwing is decent. It's not bad but it didn't set the world on fire. Grayson, however, is fantastic.

Speaking of which, I've had a question related to Dick / Starfire. There were a few pages I remember from way back when where Dick was going to marry Starfy and ended up sleeping with Barbara the night before the wedding or some shit, and Barbara woke up with a killer line like "I don't know what you did to me last night but I can't feel my legs." and Dick was terrified.

What issue / series was that in?

The secret to avoiding damage in w3 is called "abusing the shit out of the shield spell".

Or just two points in the trap spell and drop two of those side by side in front of ya.

Or buff force push.

739662998_2524219_yes_it_is_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

I get hit all the time, i was watching a video of terrible hit boxes where it looks like you are out of the way and you take damage anyways.

Also doesn't help that the 5 points you gotta put in the sword tree to make dodge worth a damn don't give enough iframes.

can always just go alchemy and nuke groups from orbit with nade spam, tho.

Yes, it is a sandwich.

A flat rate subscription, pay a fixed fee per month and consume as much media as you like. Netflix, Spotify et al. already work this way.
Nice

Would be awesome if they had DC. I'm still subbed to Scribd but if Comixology has a better lineup I'll switch in a heartbeat.

Owzers

I think i'd be happier if it was a sandwich announcement. I don't think it's going to get a lot of support initially so my hype will have to be measured. I bet it will be " read every Top crow, Archaia, and Zenescope book you want each month with a six month delay"

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Just added all the Rat Queen books to my CMX wish list. I'll get them with my next big purchase along with all the Southern Bastards books.

Top Bottom