• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Boogiepop

Today was nice. My Super Famicom games I got a great price on arrived today, and after a little wet q-tip to the contacts everything worked fine! Yay!

Also, the Annihilation: Conquest omnibus arrived, and my Cardcaptor Sakura and Detective Conan figmas have shipped!

And I had some delicious curry from an awesome restaurant with friends, so that was another plus!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Stjepan Sejic has confirmed via a post on the CBR Community that with the news of his exclusive deal with Top Cow, he is no longer the artist of "Rat Queens," published by fellow Image Comics imprint Shadowline. Sejic cited health issues for delays, and said that while he's leaving "Rat Queens," he'll be replaced by an as-yet unnamed "wonderfully skilled artist."

Dammit. He just started doing Rat Queens. And he was great at it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Reading through Batman Zero Year.

Kinda baffled by those Bug Report pages at the end of every ish. Guess it's a somewhat tolerable way to hype other stuff going around in New 52.

Also how the fuck was Capullo managing these 30+ pages things every month?
Capullo drew roughly 80 issues of Spawn, sequentially, with barely any fill ins in the 90s.

Dude is a monster.

I'm going through Morrisons Batman run and realized I've never actually read Batman and Son before and it's pretty crazy. The going from man bats to dad bats is like 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and Damien is a little twat which makes me appreciate what he is like now even more. Such a great addition to the Bat family.

Just read that trade, have you got the one with the blackglove in it as well. The flash forward 666 issue was cool, as well as the idea for the other batmen. Really cool book, what do you think of the text story ?

Saw someone talking about these, only thumbed through it so far, but pretty cool. I also have Black Science and Walking Dead ordered.
..and godammit didn't realize it's this big.
Tj3VuJ5.jpg

headshot95

Neo Member
Does anybody actually know when the next arc of Sex Criminals starts? Last week Image's website said July 1st is when issue 11 comes out but now the website says it comes out July 22nd. The app I use is saying it comes out July 8th. Idk who to believe.

Does anybody actually know when the next arc of Sex Criminals starts? Last week Image's website said July 1st is when issue 11 comes out but now the website says it comes out July 22nd. The app I use is saying it comes out July 8th. Idk who to believe.

it's coming out when the next issue of Hawkeye is

Well I just finished an 8-10 hour day of Arkham Knight. So fun. I hit the 50% of the main story and I'm getting a better feel for the batmobile. It's not my favorite aspect of the game but I don't mind it. Plus going through this long stretch with out it helped. And even though it's an open world full of filler side quests. These ones not only have me interested in completing and I think It actually makes sense why batman would want to do these quests too. Like this is what batman does, juggles 10 different issues concurrently in his messed up city. Still got a ways to go but of the rocksteady batman games it's #2 behind Asylum. And nothing will best that one in my eyes. But AK runs circles around Arkham City.

Am I the only one in ComicsGAF who didn't get Arkham Knight yet?

Nope.

It's going to be a while for me. Destiny has kind of messed it up for other games. It's like "hm, ok. $90 got me 196 hours and counting. What do you got, other game?"

And other game is like "um....like....30 hours? For $60?"

I mean, cada uno a su gusto, but I don't really have time for other game anyway these days. I'm sure I'll get it during the big holiday sales.

Nope.

It's going to be a while for me. Destiny has kind of messed it up for other games. It's like "hm, ok. $90 got me 196 hours and counting. What do you got, other game?"

And other game is like "um....like....30 hours? For $60?"

By that logic you should play literally any F2P MMO over Destiny as they'll have 100x the content for $0.

Also in the case of Batman vs Destiny, you're actually getting a story, with characters, that follows a plot.

By that logic you should play literally any F2P MMO over Destiny as they'll have 100x the content for $0.

Also in the case of Batman vs Destiny, you're actually getting a story, with characters, that follows a plot.

That arguments got whiskers on it. Obviously if I've played this much, I find the story and the lore more than satisfying.

Is it frustrating seeing people continue to play and enjoy the game, leaving that frail and aging argument about a wack story unheeded? Like if we'd only listen and realize that we actually haven't been having the fun we think we've been having.

I didn't slam AK, in fact I said I'd likely buy it. But there's something about Destiny that drives people like you to go right to the slam and, ipso facto, the guy who for some reason enjoys playing it.

As far as MMOs, no way, that shit is boring as fuck. Destiny follows the same sort of structure but I get to shoot stuff with brand new weapons all the time that are constantly unlocking new ways to fuck shit up. Constantly, every day.

I suppose at some point I will have leveled up every single thing I could but I don't see the math coming together on that, I really don't.

He's in his early 50's, I imagine he's had plenty of time to hone his skills. Regardless, he's a master of the craft, for sure.
He also works 12 hrs a day 6 days a week. Which has lead to heart problems. goes to show working absurd hours month after month even in something you love is awful for your health.

Messi

What about Sunstone? It's published through Image.

It's published by Top Cow via Image. Also he owns that and it is his biggest and best work. He ain't dropping that. Fairly sure he said he wish dropping all work that isn't his own creation. That's why he signed with Top Cow, he enjoys creative freedom. He implied that the reason he wasn't doing an Ivy book wasn't due to DC not asking but to him not wanting to be pulled away from his creator work.

Looking at Strangers in Paradise on CMX... First trade is three issues? What is this nonsense.

And volume 2 collects issues #1-9? WTH?

Are they trying to pull a fast one?

Messi

Wth I just bought the trades because Sejic came on. I haven't even read them yet. I do not approve.

I get the feeling he was always only on for an arc

Don't worry. Rat Queens is still amazing.

Looking at Strangers in Paradise on CMX... First trade is three issues? What is this nonsense.

Isn't that just the way the trades were released. Seems that way on the SiP store.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Not gonna lie, I keep forgetting that SDCC is coming up and I had to google what day it was recently.
I also aaalmost made plans to go on a weekend backpacking trip (with bouldering girl FWIW) over SDCC weekend. And even after realizing it was SDCC weekend I briefly considered doing the weekend backpacking trip anyways.
I think I might just hike San Jacinto Peak on Saturday (I'm just going to SDCC Sunday) as a compromise though. All I want to do is go to the mountains on the weekends now...

He also works 12 hrs a day 6 days a week. Which has lead to heart problems. goes to show working absurd hours month after month even in something you love is awful for your health.

......But what if it's something you hate?

I think I might possibly be a workaholic.

The first trade collects all 3 issues of SiP Volume 1, whereas the second trade starts collecting Volume 2...which then ends with the third trade before the rest of SiP is Volume 3. Try not to think about it too hard.

No. There's no comic issue overlap. Sip was released that way as it changed publishing houses I believe.Also the first was when it was a very small indie release. Keep in mind this started before you had more organized indie distributors like Image to do your printing and trades.

I was thinking about picking up the first volume of Grayson from Amazon. Anybody enjoy this book? What about the New 52 Nightwing books?

The first volume of Grayson is pretty good, but it definitely leaves you wanting more, so be prepared for a long wait for the second volume or to find a way to start reading the singles. That's basically where I'm at right now.

Nu52 Nightwing ranges from mediocre to good. Second City started off as a pretty good arc, but ended kinda meh; everything else is missable. The problem with Nightwing/Grayson is that he is, ability-wise and experience-wise, an A-tier hero, but writers tend to treat him like a B-tier hero; Nu52 Nightwing pretty much exemplifies that issue by giving him stories of little weight. It was a complete character assassination, imo, going from him being Batman pre-Flashpoint to suddenly Nightwing again with half the importance. Grayson at least takes some steps in the right direction, having Dick cut out his own niche in the DCU, but I'm still mad salty about it.

If you want some good Nightwing stuff, check out the Chuck Dixon run they've been re-releasing the past few months. If you haven't read Morrison's Batman & Robin or Snyder's The Black Mirror, those are musts, but I reckon most people know about those already.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I was thinking about picking up the first volume of Grayson from Amazon. Anybody enjoy this book? What about the New 52 Nightwing books?

Grayson is a fucking stellar book. Even during awful DC gimmick months, Grayson had a great issue that was worth reading. You should definitely check it out.

Also, look into the new Midnighter book. It pretty much takes place in the same area of the DCU as Grayson, and the first issue was really good.

Nightwing is horseshit, and you're not missing anything by avoiding that book.

The first volume of Grayson is pretty good, but it definitely leaves you wanting more, so be prepared for a long wait for the second volume or to find a way to start reading the singles. That's basically where I'm at right now.

Nu52 Nightwing ranges from mediocre to good. Second City started off as a pretty good arc, but ended kinda meh; everything else is missable. The problem with Nightwing/Grayson is that he is, ability-wise and experience-wise, an A-tier hero, but writers tend to treat him like a B-tier hero; Nu52 Nightwing pretty much exemplifies that issue by giving him stories of little weight. It was a complete character assassination, imo, going from him being Batman pre-Flashpoint to suddenly Nightwing again with half the importance. Grayson at least takes some steps in the right direction, having Dick cut out his own niche in the DCU, but I'm still mad salty about it.

If you want some good Nightwing stuff, check out the Chuck Dixon run they've been re-releasing the past few months. If you haven't read Morrison's Batman & Robin or Snyder's The Black Mirror, those are musts, but I reckon most people know about those already.

I read The Black Mirror and the first volume of Morrison's Batman and Robin. i also read some of Tony Daniel's Batman run where Dick Grayson was Batman. I realized I really enjoyed him as Batman but haven't really read anything with him as Nightwing or in his new spy role.

Top Bottom