• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Imagine. This scenario for the CMX subscription service

-All CMX books from DC, Marvel, Image, dark Horse, Etc available after a 6 month lag for subscribers.
- New comics for subscribers get a 10% off discount like Local Comic shops
- PS+ additional discounts on CMX sales
- would have to limit the comics to online only connections. Or limited download at one time like MU.

Hmm I wonder if they limit the sub catalog to SD only to save bandwidth and to nudge subscribers to HD full purchases.

That would kill it for me. I gotta stay current, man.
Really? I went to the 6 month lag for Marvel on MU and it's just fine. Once you get in sync you're swimming in so many comic options it's amazing.

And right now I spend $30 a week on discounted CMX comics. So any sub less than that would be epic. I also spend about twice that on CMX sales. Doh!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ugh. Kind of frustrated right now. I really want to read a book book, but I just finished one yesterday and am going to borrow one from a friend tomorrow, so I don't want to start another one today.
And I looked at my comics shelf to see if there was anything I could read in one day, but nothing stuck out to me.

The worst.

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/feb150411/jack-kirby-kamandi-artist-ed-hc-vol-01-(net)-(c-0-0-1

Pricing mistake? Possibly, but I doubt it'll be cheaper than this before it goes OOP.

Oh sheeit. I might have to jump on this. Shipping is $7 though. Hmm....

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ugh. Kind of frustrated right now. I really want to read a book book, but I just finished one yesterday and am going to borrow one from a friend tomorrow, so I don't want to start another one today.
And I looked at my comics shelf to see if there was anything I could read in one day, but nothing stuck out to me.

The worst.

Oh sheeit. I might have to jump on this. Shipping is $7 though. Hmm....

You finish Wolf in the White Van?

Kipp

You finish Wolf in the White Van?

Yes!
I'm pretty sure it didn't help that I was reading it like 10 pages at a time due to my lack of free time, but I read the last 80 pages or so and finished it up yesterday. I really, really enjoyed it. The ending wasn't the greatest in my opinion (though I could've missed some significance or something since I was reading it in just bits and pieces rather than in large chunks and over a shorter amount of time), but the book in general was a really good read. Really interesting book overall. It's pretty short too, at just about 220 pages, so it's definitely worth reading.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yes!
I'm pretty sure it didn't help that I was reading it like 10 pages at a time due to my lack of free time, but I read the last 80 pages or so and finished it up yesterday. I really, really enjoyed it. The ending wasn't the greatest in my opinion (though I could've missed some significance or something since I was reading it in just bits and pieces rather than in large chunks and over a shorter amount of time), but the book in general was a really good read. Really interesting book overall. It's pretty short too, at just about 220 pages, so it's definitely worth reading.

Cool--it's on my list after I get through this absurd pile of comics I've been ignoring.

Kipp

Cool--it's on my list after I get through this absurd pile of comics I've been ignoring.

Sweet. I'd love to talk about it after you read it. It's a book that definitely warrants discussion.

Also, regarding books, it feels so good to be reading again. Even if it's not comic books (yet; their day will come). Reading is great.

...I just really wish I had a damn book to read right now.

tim1138

Sweet. I'd love to talk about it after you read it. It's a book that definitely warrants discussion.

Also, regarding books, it feels so good to be reading again. Even if it's not comic books (yet; their day will come). Reading is great.

...I just really wish I had a damn book to read right now.

That was a good book, I read it a few months back.

Our very own Isak_Borg has hinted at the CMX subscription deal a few times.

Isak_Borg

Yes!

God,what an amazing book.

Mindwipe

I would be willing to pay $30 a month for all current books. You have to consider that even $50 a month is a good deal, because normally a lot of us spend $100+ a month on our books

Which is why it will never happen.

The point of a subscription media service is to avoid canibalising your existing revenue streams by making it worse than paying full price, but good enough to pull in people who wouldn't otherwise give you anything.

There's no way it will even be as good as six months old for $30 a month. Maybe a year for that price, or maybe twice as expensive with a bunch of other limitations.

eh, i can see them experimenting with different price ranges depending on how many months back you want to be, like, say, 50 dollars for a month old or whatever.

comes a point when they simply realize that it is better to offer such a deal than to let piracy cannibalize your sales. just takes a bloody fucking long time before that usually happens, is all.

Kipp

Me too. Can't find much that I'm interested in at the moment.

My problem isn't that there isn't anything I want to read, it's just that I'm stuck with this weird interim between finishing a book and getting a new book to read from my friend tomorrow. But it's one of the only days of the week where I actually have time to read. So this is not a good day to be without a book. Oh well. Haha

That was a good book, I read it a few months back.

God,what an amazing book.

Oh cool! Didn't realize other people here had read it! Out of curiosity, how did you guys hear about it? The only reason I knew about it was because I'm a massive Mountain Goats fan. Did the book make waves on the general reading scene as well or how did you hear about it? Kind of a weird question. Just curious. Haha

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on it if either of you would mind taking the time to share. I know I really enjoyed it, but I also know that there's a ton of stuff in it that didn't fully click with me either, most likely because I did a bad job reading it. It's definitely something I'll have to re-read to get more out of it.

Isak_Borg

My problem isn't that there isn't anything I want to read, it's just that I'm stuck with this weird interim between finishing a book and getting a new book to read from my friend tomorrow. But it's one of the only days of the week where I actually have time to read. So this is not a good day to be without a book. Oh well. Haha

Oh cool! Didn't realize other people here had read it! Out of curiosity, how did you guys hear about it? The only reason I knew about it was because I'm a massive Mountain Goats fan. Did the book make waves on the general reading scene as well or how did you hear about it? Kind of a weird question. Just curious. Haha

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on it if either of you would mind taking the time to share. I know I really enjoyed it, but I also know that there's a ton of stuff in it that didn't fully click with me either, most likely because I did a bad job reading it. It's definitely something I'll have to re-read to get more out of it.

I spent my days at cmx listening to the mountain goats and dealing with comics.

Also don't trust his lies.

Kipp

I spent my days at cmx listening to the mountain goats and dealing with comics.

Hell yes.
Underneath all the teasing us with vague hints about Comixology stuff, I knew you were actually a good guy with impeccable taste in music.
Mountain Goats are my all-time favorite without a doubt. Just brilliant.

tim1138

About once a month I go to the library and grab a stack of about 10-15 books and it was in one of those stacks. I knew nothing about it ahead of time, I picked it up because it sounded interesting.

Kipp

About once a month I go to the library and grab a stack of about 10-15 books and it was in one of those stacks. I knew nothing about it ahead of time, I picked it up because it sounded interesting.

Ah, cool! Well I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I'll use this as an excuse to also tell you that you should totally check out the Mountain Goats. If you might have guessed after reading the book, his lyrics are brilliant. The music is also brilliant.
If you do check them out, you might get overwhelmed by their massive discography, so I'd probably recommend starting with The Sunset Tree. Probably the best starting point, but basically every album is amazing.

I wonder if it'd work like an audible sub per month...if I had a LCS I'd probably stick with them but this could be good.

If there's any UK Gaf people who know a LCS around Epsom...let me know.

Zombine

Banned

I'm really compelled to get a library card. I want to read all of the old choose your own adventure books.

Messi

Got told again today that comics are for kids. While I was reading a comic. YAY!

That's what I get for reading comics. That's why you should never read comics. I should have listened guys.

Hagi

Got told again today that comics are for kids. While I was reading a comic. YAY!

That's what I get for reading comics. That's why you should never read comics. I should have listened guys.

Give them some issues of Crossed for their kids and see if they reevaluate.

Journey Into Mystery #622-#636 + #626.1: This was great. It dealt with what I assume was an event
(with Asgard crashing and the Fear Serpent) very well and didn't seem disjointed like Gillen's Thor run
. I especially loved the dialogue.

- I feel sorry for the Disir. Are they relatively new characters? What other runs have they been in?

- Leah is awesome. The lack of a Leah on-going or appearances in other series makes me afraid for her fate in the second trade.

- The Loki-Leah dynamic is great fun.

- Leah has also obviously reading our ComicsGAF threads.

aWfnF9F.jpg

- There were some real laugh out loud moments. The recap pages in the issues after the event were a great touch (and hilarious).

- But in-spite of the humour, there is sense of foreboding and dread. I find that very interesting (and I feel that is something very difficult to pull off).

It's fucking insane and would kill the industry.

Not sure who would think this is a good idea.

Well, the industry is going to hit a wall at some point anyway if they keep hiking the cover prices up $1 here, and another $1 over there. There's going to come a point where people are going to say fuck these prices, and just trade-wait everything.

tim1138

Ah, cool! Well I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I'll use this as an excuse to also tell you that you should totally check out the Mountain Goats. If you might have guessed after reading the book, his lyrics are brilliant. The music is also brilliant.
If you do check them out, you might get overwhelmed by their massive discography, so I'd probably recommend starting with The Sunset Tree. Probably the best starting point, but basically every album is amazing.

I don't own anything by them, but I'm fairly certain I've seen them live before.

I'm really compelled to get a library card. I want to read all of the old choose your own adventure books.

That's a pretty big life decision, you should probably talk it over with your significant other and family first.

Top Bottom