• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

Zombine

Banned
I'm pretty sure that All New Avengers is the safest mainline book that Marvel is putting out this fall. The MCU isn't going to influence anyone in that cast other than Vision and Iron Man. My hype is still high.

It's like y'all didn't even put up with Waid on Hulk. That was a warning. (Well, that and post-Omega Effect Daredevil's steady descent into averageness)

Man, I haven't enjoyed a Hulk book since like, Planet Hulk.
I'll never admit to liking that whole Red Hulk fiasco that Loeb came up with. Never.

I'm pretty sure that All New Avengers is the safest mainline book that Marvel is putting out this fall. The MCU isn't going to influence anyone in that cast other than Vision and Iron Man. My hype is still high.

I don't want safe, man. I want wild and crazy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Finished 17

It's now firmly entrenched in
metaphilosophical spore-based alternate realities sci-fi.
Why? Like, for real, why? No one that wanted that would've stuck around for more than a year reading a spec ops comic, and no one that wanted a spec ops comic would've wanted this.

Also can't shake the feeling that he read Ellis's Supergod and went "hey, one of those guys was kinda cool. Guess imma straight lift that concept at some point."

I mean, from my reading, the book has always been about war in every single aspect, including war with yourself, war with your environment, war with others. The spore stuff is less grounded than certain earlier issues, but there's always been an underlying sci-fi element and a philosophical shell wrapped around the series that's been waiting to break open.

And really, I don't think a book like Zero was ever meant to be one or two specific things. ya know? Like, just by having a different artist on ever issue, presented entirely in a nonlinear timeline, you kinda know that this series is going to go into any genre, any philosophy, any discussion it damn well wants to.

I do wonder if he'll be able to wrap it all up in this final upcoming issue, though.

And really, I don't think a book like Zero was ever meant to be one or two specific things. ya know? Like, just by having a different artist on ever issue, presented entirely in a nonlinear timeline, you kinda know that this series is going to go into any genre, any philosophy, any discussion it damn well wants to.

I do wonder if he'll be able to wrap it all up in this final upcoming issue, though.

Which would be fine, provided that it happened in spec-ops trappings. As an example, the first time the mitochondria-based teleporting tech was used, that was pretty ok. Whatever, sci-fi elements, knock yourself out. Not like we didn't have a guy carving a venom pump out of some post-human jihadi's torso in the very first issue.

Also i feel that it was largely linear. Sure, some ishs were flashback city, but until he started with the black and white auteur stuff, it was pretty straightforward. As soon as he ran outta characters, however, he decided to go cray with the meta.

Last ish all he has to do is deal with the dark passenger, which most certainly can be done in 20 pages. Then pick whatever one of the alternate realities he likes best, write an epilogue and done deal. Most likely with a heavy posthumanist vibe.

Hulk comics

In 2015

Garth Ennis's Bruce Banner Max.

I'd buy it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Which would be fine, provided that it happened in spec-ops trappings. As an example, the first time the mitochondria-based teleporting tech was used, that was pretty ok. Whatever, sci-fi elements, knock yourself out. Not like we didn't have a guy carving a venom pump out of some post-human jihadi's torso in the very first issue.

Also i feel that it was largely linear. Sure, some ishs were flashback city, but until he started with the black and white auteur stuff, it was pretty straightforward. As soon as he ran outta characters, however, he decided to go cray with the meta.

Last ish all he has to do is deal with the dark passenger, which most certainly can be done in 20 pages. Then pick whatever one of the alternate realities he likes best, write an epilogue and done deal. Most likely with a heavy posthumanist vibe.
I'd be cool with that. Deal with the Black Thing; give Zero his love back--good vibes all around. Who knows, though. Maybe he blew the Happy Ending on Secret Avengers?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Weeee. Just bought myself a climbing harness! Time to start doing some rock climbing as well as bouldering!

Also drinking a super good IPA while eating some super good leftover chicken.

*fire emoji that I'm too lazy to find the URL for*

Chris Samnee for Amazing Spider-Man.
Pls.

Mark Waid and Chris Samnee on ASM pls.

It's time to put Peter Parker back in the gutter where he belongs and to end this Parker Industries nonsense.

Struggling Parker is best Parker.

Honestly, I think Slott has his mitts on ASM until another relaunch.
-__-

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I thought bouldering was just rock climbing for people who were too cheap to buy a harness.

Haha. Well I went and proved you wrong, didn't I!
I think top rope climbing would probably be the cheapest form of climbing. When you go bouldering outdoors you'd need a crashpad too which start at like $150 for the cheap tiny ones. But I guess sticking to bouldering indoors is the cheapest actually.

But then you got trad climbing and.... That stuff gets reeeal expensive. Pretty much all those things in the middle of this picture cost $50-$150 each.
But then you'd probably want them to be expensive if they're the only things keeping you from certain death.

I could see myself one day sinking way too much money into this kind of thing.

PsychBat!

Banned
Al Ewing's Avengers story was great I admit but I don't think it'll be something I'll remember for years to come.

I saw who Doom really was a mile away.

I didn't even read Avengers AI and I still knew who it was.

Cade

Guys is it finally time for me to catch up on all of Snyder's Batman? I've got Batman
in my basement
on the brain and only read the first couple trades. I've read most other Batman stuff so...

Can anyone fill me in on what's happening with Snyder's run issue wise? I know it got all broken up due to all the events and shit and did Batman Eternal ever turn out to be good or

I am so lost with recent DC

Finished 17

It's now firmly entrenched in
metaphilosophical spore-based alternate realities sci-fi.
Why? Like, for real, why? No one that wanted that would've stuck around for more than a year reading a spec ops comic, and no one that wanted a spec ops comic would've wanted this.

Also can't shake the feeling that he read Ellis's Supergod and went "hey, one of those guys was kinda cool. Guess imma straight lift that concept at some point."
I agree. I think I'm done with Kot books. I keep trying them but always never seem to 100% get what he's up to. Or I do and don't enjoy it. Zero was the one book (outside secret avengers) that I enjoyed and then he went into his usual fuckery and I'm wondering where my spy book went.

Guys is it finally time for me to catch up on all of Snyder's Batman? I've got Batman
in my basement
on the brain and only read the first couple trades. I've read most other Batman stuff so...

Can anyone fill me in on what's happening with Snyder's run issue wise? I know it got all broken up due to all the events and shit and did Batman Eternal ever turn out to be good or

Just read snyders batman book skip any gimmick book not written by him. batman eternal was decent and the best weekly since 52 (because the others were beyond trash), but not essential. I'd skip it

Cade

I agree. I think I'm done with Kot books. I keep trying them but always never seem to 100% get what he's up to. Or I do and don't enjoy it. Zero was the one book (outside secret avengers) that I enjoyed and then he went into his usual fuckery and I'm wondering where my spy book went.

Just read snyders batman book skip any gimmick book not written by him. batman eternal was decent and the best weekly since 52 (because the others were beyond trash), but not essential. I'd skip it

Word. And is Batman still on hiatus during Convergence or what?

in my basement

Batman #1-11 Court of the Owls saga
Batman #12 Harper Row intermission issue
Batman #13-17 Death of the Family
Batman #18 Harper Row intermission issue
Batman #19-20 mini clayface arc
Batman #21-27, 29-33 Zero Year
Batman #28 Batman Eternal preview issue
Batman #34 Single issue horror story
Batman #35-40 Endgame

I've only read about half of Batman Eternal but it was pretty enjoyable so far.

Word. And is Batman still on hiatus during Convergence or what?

Batman is back, issue #41 came out this month.

Cade

Batman #35-40 Endgame

I've only read about half of Batman Eternal but it was pretty enjoyable so far.

Batman is back, issue #41 came out this month.
Oh, okay. Awesome. I've only read up to the start of Zero Year, so I've got a lot to catch up on. Thanks everyone!

Filthy Slug

Batman #35-40 Endgame

Just seeing the exact length of Zero Year is fucking mind-boggling.

Vyer

Catching up a little bit, I read We Are Robin, Superman and Grayson.

It was almost worth going through the (mostly) crap that was Convergence, cause there is some damn good stuff coming out now that it's over.

Filthy Slug

Just remember it was two story arcs in there with the Red Hood gang and the Riddler.

Totally--and I'm just happy that there was a portion of the story that had a good villain and was relatively Riddler-free.

Just seeing the exact length of Zero Year is fucking mind-boggling.
I'm just impressed he pulled it off. I was a bit leery of him going back into batmans year one era timeframe and playing around. So many creators like to dive into the past and mess around and it ends horribly (ie sins Past). And for batman That's some well mined and well formed lore already set with Year one. And he was able to do his thing and not step on other people's work from the past. Bravo

Riddler is a total shit-tier villain.

Maybe I'm channeling Arkham Knight feelings.
Riddler is great. Just a bitch to pull off well. The most consistent portrayal was probably in B:TAS. It always cracked me up batman & robin would solve his riddles without even pausing. I'd try to solve them but they gave you no time to even try

Riddler is great. Just a bitch to pull off well. The most consistent portrayal was probably in B:TAS. It always cracked me up batman & robin would solve his riddles without even pausing. I'd try to solve them but they gave you no time to even try

When Robin is solving your riddles, you done fucked up.

Filthy Slug

Riddler is a total shit-tier villain.

Maybe I'm channeling Arkham Knight feelings.

Nah, I'd agree with you--whenever he gets propped up as the Big Bad, it never really works. And I feel like writers struggle with him partially because you need to come up with clever and new riddles, which is just a fucking chore, and not a particularly worthwhile one.

MattyG

Banned
So what order do I read Snyder's Batman run in? Just start with Court of Owls and move up through the TP volumes? Someone told me to read Zero Year instead of Court of Owls, but it looks like the two Zero Year trades are volumes 4 and 5 or something.

And are there other New 52 storylines I should read as well? Batgirl or Batman and Robin or something? Keep in mind that the only things I've read up to this point are TDKR, Arkham Asylum, and now I'm reading The Long Halloween, so I have pretty much infinite options open to me for what I could read.

Nah, I'd agree with you--whenever he gets propped up as the Big Bad, it never really works. And I feel like writers struggle with him partially because you need to come up with clever and new riddles, which is just a fucking chore, and not a particularly worthwhile one.

It's not only that, but the dude has no powers. Solve his riddle, overcome his traps and punch him in the face. He's done. What kind of villain goes down in one punch? Jesus, look at the battle
Batman went through with Joker at the end of Endgame.

So what order do I read Snyder's Batman run in? Just start with Court of Owls and move up through the TP volumes? Someone told me to read Zero Year instead of Court of Owls, but it looks like the two Zero Year trades are volumes 4 and 5 or something.

Yeah, but chronologically, Zero Year occurs before everything else.

And are there other New 52 storylines I should read as well? Batgirl or Batman and Robin or something? Keep in mind that the only things I've read up to this point are TDKR, Arkham Asylum, and now I'm reading The Long Halloween, so I have pretty much infinite options open to me for what I could read.

Just read it in release order, so Court of the Owls

MattyG

Banned
Just read it in release order, so Court of the Owls
Okay, cool. I'm thinking of trying to catch up and start picking up the issues monthly, starting with #41. Or I could just wait for the trades and read everything late, since I would have a lot of other stuff to read in the meantime.

Actually, how do most of you do it? Do you mostly wait for trades or do you buy a lot of individual issues every month? I've thought of trying to expand my individual buys beyond the Star Wars comics, but I can never find a good place to jump in on something since everything is already so far in their runs.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, cool. I'm thinking of trying to catch up and start picking up the issues monthly, starting with #41. Or I could just wait for the trades and read everything late, since I would have a lot of other stuff to read in the meantime.

Actually, how do most of you do it? Do you mostly wait for trades or do you buy a lot of individual issues every month? I've thought of trying to expand my individual buys beyond the Star Wars comics, but I can never find a good place to jump in on something since everything is already so far in their runs.

A mix of both. I buy stuff month to month for the books that I'm too excited about to wait for and trade wait for ones that I'd rather read in one big clump.

Rat Queens volume 2 and Astonishing X-Men volume 3:

So fucking good.
I think I'm the only one who would here that would get the back half of that reference. I think Messi is the only one who would get the first half.
The back half is one of my favorite television series of all time.
Yeah the dialogue isn't all that great. Probably the worst issue of that book so far.
If I recall, she was assumed to be a mutant by SHIELD, but was later revealed to be a mutate via her dad's experiments. The newest issue of SHIELD revealed that those experiments made it to where her Inhuman genes were unlocked without the need of the Terrigen Mist.
The Inhuman part doesn't bother me, but the "Skye" nickname sure as fuck does. It makes no sense and doesn't fit.
Y'know, Marvel could still work with EA to make the Imperfects a thing again for their relaunch.
I liked the Imperfects as game characters. As actual characters...eh, they're rather boring. Even in concept, since we've seen it for the most part.

Top Bottom