• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2015. Alright fanboys, it's time to pick a side once and for all.

fauxtrot

Banned
So, I'm trying to get my wife back into comics. She really wants to read Secret Wars but she hasn't touched a comic since Brubaker was writing Daredevil. I tried to get her to read A/NA first but she couldn't get into it. I went ahead and put together some annotations for the first issue to catch her up but I think it's riddled with errors. I don't suppose anyone feels like reading it over and telling me what I got wrong?

[/spoiler]

I know it's quite long so if nobody bites that's cool. I figure most of this info is close enough to at least get her through the book...I know the Molecule Man stuff in particular is pretty shaky but god damn that is hard to explain.

Why not start her with something relatively self-contained like Hawkguy, Saga, etc? If she isnt' into NA/A, how can we expect her to be into Secret Wars?

Getting a SO into comics through Secret Wars sounds impossible, but my girlfriend has VERY little Marvel comics history.

I know. I'm fortunate enough that she has at least some familiarity with the universe. And I actually think the tie ins are going to be a lot of fun for her. But I could be totally wrong, we'll see. ;p

Why not start her with something relatively self-contained like Hawkguy, Saga, etc? If she isnt' into NA/A, how can we expect her to be into Secret Wars?

I tried to get her into Hawkguy (and Saga, actually, though that was awhile ago), no dice. She wants to read the big event I keep blabbering about.

Squire

Banned
So, I'm trying to get my wife back into comics. She really wants to read Secret Wars but she hasn't touched a comic since Brubaker was writing Daredevil. I tried to get her to read A/NA first but she couldn't get into it. I went ahead and put together some annotations for the first issue to catch her up but I think it's riddled with errors. I don't suppose anyone feels like reading it over and telling me what I got wrong?

[/spoiler]

I know it's quite long so if nobody bites that's cool. I figure most of this info is close enough to at least get her through the book...I know the Molecule Man stuff in particular is pretty shaky but god damn that is hard to explain.

Breh, if she's not gonna read A/NA, Secret Wars isn't happening.

I mean, 80 issues worth of annotations. I can't even imagine.

Ohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiit. So remember how I said one of the coworkers who I was close to quit today? Well I obviously was saying some... things about what I thought about the job and my boss to her since she quit and I was happy with her.
Anyways, it looks like my boss took over that Skype account. Not sure whether or not she has or will read the conversations though. Oh geez.

You...were complaining about your job to a work Skype account? >.>

STK672347.jpg

I see what you did there.

fauxtrot

Banned
I know. I'm fortunate enough that she has at least some familiarity with the universe. And I actually think the tie ins are going to be a lot of fun for her. But I could be totally wrong, we'll see. ;p

I tried to get her into Hawkguy, no dice. She wants to read the big event I keep blabbering about.

Maybe just have her focus on the tie-ins then? Or just read your own comics next to her so she can ask questions whenever she has them while she reads Secret Wars #1-3.

I definitely think it's doable, but it'd be easier for her I'm sure if you just caught her up verbally while she reads them.

We'll see, we'll see. People should read what she wants to read, I'm not shoving Secret Wars down her throat or anything

You might consider just giving her the first 2 issues of Secret Wars, have her read them, then sit down with her afterwards to talk about what happened and fill her in that way.

Squire

Banned
We'll see, we'll see. People should read what they want to read, I'm not shoving Secret Wars down her throat or anything.

Oh for sure! I just think it's so reliant on what came before. Like, I wouldn't even say it's a good idea to just start A/NA at the second half/after Infinity. I'm convinced you need it all. I hope that works out for you though, regardless.

Maybe just have her focus on the tie-ins then? Or just read your own comics next to her so she can ask questions whenever she has them while she reads Secret Wars #1-3.

I really think Secret Wars #1 is the biggest stumbling block, if I can get her by that I have faith she can handle the next couple issues.

She did read the first few issues of A/NA, so she knows what an incursion is, Black Swan, Illuminati, etc.

Alternative proposition, stop blabbering about the big event, and blabber about something else she can read, understand, and enjoy.

Heh, fair enough. Secret Wars is a big deal to me though and she knows it. No getting around that.

Oh for sure! I just think it's so reliant on what came before. Like, I wouldn't even say it's a good idea to just start A/NA at the second half/after Infinity. I'm convinced you need it all. I hope that works out for you though, regardless.

Thanks! I hope so too.

And I agree, I did a "ack! Ugh! oof" when she said she wanted to skip to SW

I would love to read Transmetropolitan at some point (just started reading Planetary), but man, the guy's goofy glasses just rub me the wrong way.

rJoODMf.png

never finished Transmetropolitan :(

3HRi72a.jpg

Transmetropolitan is the worst comic ever. :3

W6upgaa.jpg

Ohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiit. So remember how I said one of the coworkers who I was close to quit today? Well I obviously was saying some... things about what I thought about the job and my boss to her since she quit and I was happy with her.
Anyways, it looks like my boss took over that Skype account. Not sure whether or not she has or will read the conversations though. Oh geez.

yWqgyPA.jpg

Squire

Banned
If there's one legit flaw to Secret Wars (not saying I feel this way, but it's a case to make) it's that #1 is quite literally the ending of Avengers/New Avengers.

If there's one legit flaw to Secret Wars (not saying I feel this way, but it's a case to make) it's that #1 is quite literally the ending of Avengers/New Avengers.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how she reacts to it. I'm glad she got enough A/NA in to know what an incursion is and whatnot. It's a big hill to climb otherwise.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yo, you can't get fired if you quit first

Call up your new future wifey and tell her you two are running away together to San Francisco.

Haha yeah. It's tempting to just be like "YO I'M OUTTA HERE. SEE YA"
But in this situation, it'd be pretty much the same thing either way. Except if I at least wait to see if I get fired, she might not have even seen the conversations and it'll all be fine.
I just messaged my boss about some random work-related thing and she responded very normally, so all is well for now...

You...were complaining about your job to a work Skype account? >.>

Duuuuh. How else would I pass the time at work? :p
But seriously. Complaining on Skype to my coworkers is the only thing that keeps me sane at this job.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I'm curious to see how she reacts to it. I'm glad she got enough A/NA in to know what an incursion is and whatnot. It's a big hill to climb otherwise.

She actually might be alright if you explained the core concepts like that to her. You'll have to try. There were a few times during the run that I thought to myself "Man, out of context, most of this would be terribly superfluous."

Which is noteworthy because I think that's much more rare in cape comics than most other things.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
reading Old Man Logan (og) makes me realize how much i dislike Millar

cool concept but the dialogue is just.... woof

gotta just power through before that SW tie in

besada

Banned
I did not enjoy Bizarro, but I suspect I am not the audience.

Been enjoying Secret Wars, generally speaking. Battle world could be better.

Tizoc

I did not enjoy Bizarro, but I suspect I am not the audience.

Been enjoying Secret Wars, generally speaking. Battle world could be better.

Unless you're talking Bizarro speak, what's not to like about a wacky road trip featuring Jimmy Olsen and Bizarro?

Unless you're talking Bizarro speak, what's not to like about a wacky road trip featuring Jimmy Olsen and Bizarro?
Reading bizarro speak is the most frustrating thing in comics. I thought the old ventriloquist was bad, then bizarro showed. Some words are opposite but not all! You guess which ones are what. Ahhhh

Yo, Spider just made the best post ever and y'all are straight up ignoring it. For shame.
True. Transmet is great. And I don't really like drug fueled manic stories like those. The reason why it works is underneath the layer of crass cynicism is something optimistic in how Ellis handles what journalism and editorials could be

Anyone else find it weird that Wonder Woman is like the only DC book that didn't get an 8-page preview for the upcoming issue? There are a few others but most books are covered.
The annual got delayed from end of April to first week of June; my guess is they didn't want to spoil the outcome to the Finches' first story arc with a preview of what's to come.

Although given their run so far, "this series will continue to suck centaur balls" wouldn't be all that much of a spoiler would it?

fauxtrot

Banned
I just finished up FF #22 last night and now I realize I'm only 2 issues away from being completely done with Hickman's Fantastic 4 run... it's been great and I have found myself wanting to read it any chance I get, so I'm glad I at least have Avengers / New Avengers + Secret Wars on deck to satiate my desire for more of his cape books!

PsychBat!

Banned
Anyone ever try a peanut butter and ham sandwich? I heard it mentioned once in a Dexter's Lab episode and I've been curious ever since.

besada

Banned
How was Lousiana? Did you have any memorable breakfasts?
Great, and all of them. Great po boys, gumbo, Jambalaya, and beignets were had. We got sandwiches at Manhattanjack -- including a chicken and waffle sandwich -- and went to The Fly to watch barges and giant rat fights.

Listened to jazz outside Yuki and The Blue Nile, and inside a zydeco place. Went shopping in a voodoo shop. Some antiquing for weird shit. Saw a preacher in the middle of Bourbon St with a giant white cross, near a sign that said Huge Ass Beers. Entertaining.

Totally worth an eight hour drive in both directions.

Great, and all of them. Great po boys, gumbo, Jambalaya, and beignets were had. We got sandwiches at Manhattanjack -- including a chicken and waffle sandwich -- and went to The Fly to watch barges and giant rat fights.

Nom nom nom

I think my favorite thing about going on vacation is always the food

Top Bottom