• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

arkon

It's about respecting other people and acknowledging that people's lives may not allow them to watch a final at the same time that it televised. Or that the world doesn't have one timezone called "America". And it's not like it was a month after the game had been played. Or a week. Or a day. It was being discussed as it was happening.

It makes me wonder why the same people that follow the rule about using spoilers for comic books and comic book films (and wrestling, apparently) in this thread obviously don't care about revealing the winners of final matches.

If you would like to enlighten me as to why there is a difference between not respecting those who would like to see the final game of the NBA Finals without knowing the result but respecting those who choose to consume a fictional piece of art (comics/film/television/books/wrestling) I'd be interested. Or is it just a case that only comic books need to have spoilers used and everything else is fair game in this thread?

Like, dude, if you don't want to know the NBA Finals result / Game of Throne reveal / why would you come into a comic thread? That's just asking to be spoiled.

It's about respect. I will use spoilers because I want you to be able to have the same experience that I had going into it without knowing. And if you don't want that, you have the ability to track down that information. At the end of the day, you have the choice; it's not taken from you.

Rightly or wrongly I don't treat sports the same way as other entertainment media when it comes to spoiler consumption. That's mainly because I'll be following the particular game via live score updates if I'm not able to watch the game live. In the past when I've recorded live games to be watched later (whilst avoiding scores), I never end up watching the whole thing and usually end up skipping through large parts of it to get to the good bits (usually the goals in football, I've never really tried with any other sport). That said I do try to keep liveblogging chatter to the relevant and appropriate spots.

And before you all say "stay off the internet if you don't want to be spoiled" I would answer with "that's why I made sure to not have have nba.com, the NBA Final GAF thread or anything that would rightly have spoilers open in my tabs when I shut down my browser the night before.

That's not my idea of staying off the internet. If it's important to me to experience something spoiler-free and I'm in spoiler avoidance mode I don't load up browsers, IRC clients etc until I can get round to that thing. I just can't trust everyone to use spoiler tags properly or give sufficient warning. There will always be a couple of arseholes looking to spoil shit where you least expect it. Now sometimes it could be months before I can get round to that thing and I can't stay off the Internet that long so I carry on avoiding expected spots but know there's a risk of getting blindsided somewhere.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What have we done now? Didn't think there was any trouble last night.

I had the memory that england always failed horrible in the preliminary round since 2002, but I checked now and this wasnt the case (to bad that I based my whole bets for group B on this assumption...)

And yes, you are now allowed to post a avatarquote :D

I had the memory that england always failed horrible in the preliminary round since 2002, but I checked now and this wasnt the case (to bad that I based my whole bets for group B on this assumption...)

And yes, you are now allowed to post a avatarquote :D

image.php

It's harder to be eliminated in the group stage now what with three teams going through in some groups. In all three games the other team's just parked the bus so I don't think we've been too bad.

I know nothing will happen because technically you're getting extra pages but FFFUUUUCCCKKK I hate when CMX "trades" are just the pages in the front and back of the trade and then individual CMX issues in the middle, so instead of an edited down story you get all the ads and individual issue backmatter and no interstitial trade pages. Super annoying.

#ValiantDeluxeEditionSubtweet

How familiar are you with this thread and it's history of spoilers? We are shit at spoilers for everything comics included. Any time anything remotely big happens in comics it gets spoiled here. A week or two ago in the space of a few days rebirth, cap both got spoiled.

We openly talked about the NBA all season here as we are a community thread. You must not come here often or else you would know we talk about the NBA. A bunch of friends who happens to like comics among other things. If I didn't want to know the result of something as big as game 7 of the nba finals I would have shut off the Internet completely. I'm shocked you managed to get in here without having it spoiled by the 6 other threads with spoilers in the title. It's a live sporting event of the size of the nba finals, it's best not to go on the Internet at all until you have seen it. My friend's did it as they had to work.
Just to explain, I "got in here" because it was one of the browser tabs that I have, because I like to look in here every so often. I didn't have to go to the off topic or community menu and potentially come across xxxx wins xxxx title threads or titles that imply the result. I could have even got here via my subscriptions, or perhaps I just get here each time via a google search. But I didn't, it just happened to be the active tab in my browser, which I needed to open as it's the way that I access NBA Pass. What I didn't plan for, when I closed my browsers the night before - ensuring the NBA thread and any other tabs that would lead to seeing the result were closed, is that a Comic thread - which I agree has had results spoiled in text before - would post a huge image of celebrations that you couldn't help but see before I switched tabs.

From now on I will just expect that everything is fair game in this thread. I'm, like, totally fine to post huge spoilers about any and all subjects in obnoxious ways, right? 'Cause, there's a long standing tradition of not respecting anyone else in here. As long as I've gained my enjoyment from a form of entertainment I don't have to care if anyone else can because my need to express myself wherever I want takes priority over any decency and consideration I could ever hope to display to anyone else, right?

The thing is, I'm not one of those "omg spoiler" people that can't even bear to hear the details of what's in a movie trailer or would complain in the NBA thread about someone not using spoiler tags. I agree that you need to minimise your chance of encountering information that you'd rather not be exposed to; it's common sense. But this isn't one of those cases. A comic book thread posted a huge image of ostensibly the result of the game and the response to it "you have yourself to blame". That's the just the automatic response for people that wish to completely distance themselves from feeling any skerret of responsibility for not caring about anyone else but themselves. "Dude, you haven't finished the Harry Potter book that came out today and you decide to come to this Knitting Jumpers thread and expect to NOT have the ending of the book spoiled. Go sit in that corner and don't come out until you're ready to admit how stupid you are for thinking otherwise. I don't care if you only opened the browser to check to see if the book was out for delivery today and had this tab active. This is the internet."

I regret even saying anything now because I'm sure I'll appear to be that irrational person that's asking everyone to not talk about 20 year old Empire Strikes Back spoilers or is yelling at their history teaching for spoiling who won WWII. I'm really not that person but there seems to be a complete lack of self awareness in this thread. It was my mistake for having this thread in the few tabs I keep open and an even bigger mistake for even thinking that bringing this up would be met with anything but " you on the internet bro you deserve what you got" responses.

Thanks for the advice, though. I will try that internet-less NBA pass option from now on. Stay right off that internet completely.

Really enjoyed the opening issue of Han's mini-series. Brooks' art suits Star Wars really well and Lu's dialogue for Han's authentic and appropriately swaggerly. The premise is interesting as well, what with Han actually becoming a racer for a while before TFA.

Messi

Really enjoyed the opening issue of Han's mini-series. Brooks' art suits Star Wars really well and Lu's dialogue for Han's authentic and appropriately swaggerly. The premise is interesting as well, what with Han actually becoming a racer for a while before TFA.

He looks much younger than TFA in the preview art

He looks much younger than TFA in the preview art

It takes place after ANH, it's not actually set around TFA. It's just the premise of the book involves him doing some undercover work for the Rebels while participating in a race. After Return of the Jedi he becomes a professional racer for a while.

arkon

From now on I will just expect that everything is fair game in this thread. I'm, like, totally fine to post huge spoilers about any and all subjects in obnoxious ways, right? 'Cause, there's a long standing tradition of not respecting anyone else in here. As long as I've gained my enjoyment from a form of entertainment I don't have to care if anyone else can because my need to express myself wherever I want takes priority over any decency and consideration I could ever hope to display to anyone else, right?

That would be a shitty thing to do. It's unfortunate that you've had your viewing experience spoiled but to perpetuate that behaviour...

Thanks for the advice, though. I will try that internet-less NBA pass option from now on. Stay right off that internet completely.

Again unfortunate that people fucked up and spoiled your experience but you could just load up the NBA pass thing and only that. Like I said you can't possibly control what everyone posts and how they follow spoiler etiquette but you can limit what you're viewing to avoid it happening again.

If you want to avoid spoilers for the end of a sports season, that is 100% on you. You have no reasonable expectation for anyone in any public context to go out of their way to protect you. That is not how the world works, whether you like that or not.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If you want to avoid spoilers for the end of a sports season, that is 100% on you. You have no reasonable expectation for anyone in any public context to go out of their way to protect you. That is not how the world works, whether you like that or not.

Pretty much. This isn't a day 1 movie release, this is a live sports event.

Equating sports "spoilers" with spoilers of other types of information is incredibly misguided. If you go anywhere near a news site (sports or otherwise) or basically anywhere near the internet, you will have the result ruined for you. I say that as someone who has dealt with NBC's inexplicable delay in broadcasting key Olympics events for some time now. I've also frequently had the results of basketball, football, baseball, and soccer games spoiled for me. How were we to know you were an NBA fan? How were we to know you intended to watch the game the next day? At what hour does such talk fit into your viewing schedule?

While people generally agree that it's lame to post the final reveal of a comic title or who died in Game of Thrones, people tend to react to major sporting events in an open, celebratory manner. No more was revealed in this thread than on CNN or Slate or the Huffington Post.

Regarding comic spoilers, a few of us follow Marvel exclusively on Unlimited, and are six months behind the floppies. By making that choice, we've all resolved ourselves to the fact that significant events will be spoiled by GAF or otherwise. We do have rules for brand new releases, but it would be completely unfair for me to expect others to hold off on discussing content until I've consumed it.

I don't watch wrestling because I'm no longer twelve, but I'm able to follow who is pretending to pin who for a pretend gold belt at any point by following this thread.

Complaining about spoilers about a hugely popular live sports event watched by tens of millions of people and the results are widely known everywhere

I think I've fuckin' seen it all my nigga

Fair warning: I'm going to be posting a lot about the USA vs. Argentina semi tonight in the Cops America thread...and here! I woke up and had several EURO results spoiled for me.

Damn Europeans living several hours in the future!

Half Past Danger was good. A little cliched in its action sequences and plot twists but still fun. Will definitely read the second series whenever it is out.

Picking up the four 52 trades today, along with The Fifth Beatle.

Messi

Fair warning: I'm going to be posting a lot about the USA vs. Argentina semi tonight in the Cops America thread...and here! I woke up and had several EURO results spoiled for me.

Damn Europeans living several hours in the future!

Messi posts here. He likes lewd books.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
can we talk about how amazing 'work from home' summer days are?

chillin with the pup outdoors with the laptop praise be

VanWinkle

My library only has the trades. Will buy the omnibus if I enjoy the series.

Ahh, okay. I have the new book one trade coming in from IST at some point soon. First time I've spent less than $50 and had to pay shipping on there. Just couldn't really afford a $50 order right now and I really wanted 52. Still cheaper at $~21 than the $27 Amazon is charging. Only downside is that I would have it right now if I bought at Amazon, while it's still not even picked & scanned at IST. :(

Knightfall holds up surprisingly well, imo. It helps that it's a strong story on its own, as well as being a light deconstruction of 90's superhero trends.

Xis

I know nothing will happen because technically you're getting extra pages but FFFUUUUCCCKKK I hate when CMX "trades" are just the pages in the front and back of the trade and then individual CMX issues in the middle, so instead of an edited down story you get all the ads and individual issue backmatter and no interstitial trade pages. Super annoying.

#ValiantDeluxeEditionSubtweet

Yeah the Valiant books are particularly bad for this, since they often have a few pages of previews for other books.

On the other hand, I hate it when trades don't put each issue's cover art in order in the trade (or in little thumbnails in the back).

Top Bottom