• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Boogiepop

Can you not fire off an email to someone involved with the kickstarter and get your copy changed to one for a different platform? I'd have thought it's something they could do even at this late stage especially if it's a digital copy.

I sent an email to them early yesterday, and still no response. Kinda giving up hope now...

Looking to buy an awesome Wonder Woman statue. I'm not sure what one.

Been eyeing this myself.

Fnw5jHm.jpg

JTripper

So is Clone Saga definitively being reprinted as 2-3 omnibuses? I might have to pass on the classic Dr. strange omni this October and get Clone Saga since I never read it and I really should expand my Spider-Man graphic novel collection. It sadly only consists of Death of the Stacys and Kraven's Last Hunt.

To embarrass myself even more, I've never even read spider island. I'm a bad Spider-Man fan.

I wonder if this is a limitation of shipping twice a month. We know artists struggle with multiple books a month, but it must be difficult for writers too.

At least my trades will be published more frequently.

Wouldn't they have at least had the first arc or two already lined up for the relaunch? I can't imagine folks are already scrambling to meet deadlines, though I could certainly see it ending up that way.

As far as more frequent trades go, this is DC we're talking about.

tim1138

So is Clone Saga definitively being reprinted as 2-3 omnibuses? I might have to pass on the classic Dr. strange omni this October and get Clone Saga since I never read it and I really should expand my Spider-Man graphic novel collection. It sadly only consists of Death of the Stacys and Kraven's Last Hunt.

To embarrass myself even more, I've never even read spider island. I'm a bad Spider-Man fan.

You should absolutely not pass on Dr Strange for the Clone Saga. Just no.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Totally Awesome Hulk was good, but wtf was that at the end

"To be Brucetinued" ?

It isn't even clever

Boogiepop

BTW, all this talk of bad Spider-Man stuff, and no mention of Trouble? (I've actually never read it. I saw it on sale at FCBD this year and was almost curious enough to pick it up for the hell of it, but then I decided against wasting my money like that...)

Edit: Dang, and it's not on MU to sate my curiosity...

tim1138

I'd rank this week's Rebirth books as so:

Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Flash

I was not disappointed by any of them by any means, I'm enjoying what each is doing.

Tynion and Barrows are firing on all cylinders in Tec, I can't say enough how good that book is. I'm thrilled that Batman is in the background and not taking the spotlight from Kate or the rest of the team. Everyone is getting their time to shine. My only complaint is
my boy Jean Paul Valley getting done dirty

Rucka directly addressing the mess that is Diana's backstory is a great plot device, but I do have a feeling this is going to be a fairy slow burn. I wonder how much of his rejected Earth One pitch is being incorporated into this run, as I'm sure DC had to give him carte blanche to get him to come back. I ready dug the last page reveal and Sharp's art was great.

I'm so happy to have a good Flash book again. Williamson has an interesting voice for Barry, and I like the introduction of
Barry's powers giving him some self doubt since no matter how far he is, he still can't save everyone
, it's a nice bit of complexity for him. I absolutely love the art, it's so kinetic and reminds me of a weird mix of the best parts of Scott Kolins and Travel Foreman (both of whom are favorites of mine).

I'm not gonna lie, I'm surprised by how DC has just knocked this all out of the park. I was expecting the line to range from great to ok, but for the first month at least, the whole Rebirth line has been consistently great. From what I've seen on Twitter and heard in interviews, the sales numbers have been great, and deservedly so. Here's hoping they can keep it up.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Dunno if it's just my iPad, but I liked the art in the Flash

Also, the story was decent. Who is that August guy though? He wasn't in the previous run? Guessing
he becomes Godspeed?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That reminds me I still havent read Totally Awesome #1 on MU :/

I need some help, comic gaf. I basically stopped reading marvel books after civil war and I would like to catch up on all the big events like dark reign, that skrull invasion shit and every event that led up to Secret wars. A there a good list out there of the main titles I should check out?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
With only one Wednesday left between my Vacation and now I decided to compile my back log of Image titles that I've been saving up.

Southern Bastards #14
Manifest Destiny #19
Mirror #4
The Beauty #7
Tokyo Ghost #7
Cry Havoc #5
East of West #26
Monstress #6
Deadly Class#21
Paper Girls #6
Nailbiter #22
The Walking Dead #155
No Mercy #9
Revival #40
Injection #10
Birthright #16
The Fix #3
Shutter #22
The Wicked + The Divine #20
The Beauty #8
I Hate Fairyland #6
Lazarus #22
Manifest Destiny #20
Autumnlands #11
Cry Havoc #6
Black Road #3
Drifter #10
Drifter #11
Pretty Deadly #10
East of West #27

Should be some sweet reading!

I need some help, comic gaf. I basically stopped reading marvel books after civil war and I would like to catch up on all the big events like dark reign, that skrull invasion shit and every event that led up to Secret wars. A there a good list out there of the main titles I should check out?

I would recommend not reading the big summer events that go before Secret Wars. They're mostly just not that good.

The good thing is that Secret Wars is the conclusion of Hickman's work for Marvel and there is a clear line in nearly all of his work that leads to it

Read Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/Future Foundation, then read his Avengers work (Avengers and New Avengers) including Infinity and then read you can read Secret Wars and enjoy it to the max.

Fantastic Four:

Fantastic Four: Dark Reign Mini
Fantastic Four #570-588
Future Foundation #1-11
Fantastic Four #600-604
Future Foundation #12-23
Fantastic Four #605.1, 605-611

Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity:
New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #1-4
New Avengers #4
Avengers #5
New Avengers #5-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
New Avengers #8
Infinity #1
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6
New Avengers #12-15
Avengers #24-28
New Avengers #16-17
Avengers #29-34
New Avengers #18-23
Avengers #35
New Avengers #24-25
Avengers #36-37
New Avengers #26
Avnegers #38
New Avengers #27
Avengers #39
New Avengers 28
Avengers #40

Then just read Secret Wars!

VanWinkle

You know what would be incredible? An Absolute version of the full Batman Zero Year arc. Holy crap. I never buy new Absolutes but I would buy that immediately.

You know what would be incredible? An Absolute version of the full Batman Zero Year arc. Holy crap. I never buy new Absolutes but I would buy that immediately.

It would certainly be a gorgeous book. I imagine it's a possibility. They did an Absolute Court of Owls. Zero Year would be a no-brainer.

Duress

Fuck! I want the Samurai Vader statue, but it's too rich for my blood. I can never justify buying statues, because I'm so poor. -_-

VanWinkle

Wall of pics incoming. I have to get this off of my chest.

I was excited to start reading Daredevil by Waid. I was ready to read some lighthearted DD stuff. So a while back I read the first OHC. The main artist was Paolo Rivera. I did NOT like the art (well, to be fair, it occasionally had some great looking full page and double page spreads). I came to the realization that the coloring does not work. There's this use of gradient airbrush shading on the characters and very occasionally on environmental objects that CLASH with the otherwise flat coloring and simple linework.

Here's what it looked like:

At some point I realized that this was the same artist who drew The Valiant, a book that I remember loving the art in! I went back to it, and look how much better it looks:

The coloring suits the art style. There's an artists who doesn't bother with tons of fine details, so the coloring/shading should also look "simplistic".

Well, anyway, I was really excited to get into the Samnee issues. I've seen some of his work and it was amazing. I love his style.

Imagine my disappointment when I got to his stuff in the second OHC and it seems to be using that same colorist that Rivera had in HIS DD issues!

Still looks nice, but that crazy airbrush shading plastered all over their faces. Clashing with the rest. LUCKILY, whether suddenly there was a new colorist or the existing colorist realized that style wasn't working, it changes to the Samnee-style art I'm accustomed to after a few issues.

That's better.

This is all subjective to an extent of course, but I didn't think the airbrush shading worked AT ALL.

Top Bottom