• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

I'd rank this week's Rebirth books as so:

Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Flash

I was not disappointed by any of them by any means, I'm enjoying what each is doing.

Tynion and Barrows are firing on all cylinders in Tec, I can't say enough how good that book is. I'm thrilled that Batman is in the background and not taking the spotlight from Kate or the rest of the team. Everyone is getting their time to shine. My only complaint is
my boy Jean Paul Valley getting done dirty

Rucka directly addressing the mess that is Diana's backstory is a great plot device, but I do have a feeling this is going to be a fairy slow burn. I wonder how much of his rejected Earth One pitch is being incorporated into this run, as I'm sure DC had to give him carte blanche to get him to come back. I ready dug the last page reveal and Sharp's art was great.

I'm so happy to have a good Flash book again. Williamson has an interesting voice for Barry, and I like the introduction of
Barry's powers giving him some self doubt since no matter how far he is, he still can't save everyone
, it's a nice bit of complexity for him. I absolutely love the art, it's so kinetic and reminds me of a weird mix of the best parts of Scott Kolins and Travel Foreman (both of whom are favorites of mine).

I'm not gonna lie, I'm surprised by how DC has just knocked this all out of the park. I was expecting the line to range from great to ok, but for the first month at least, the whole Rebirth line has been consistently great. From what I've seen on Twitter and heard in interviews, the sales numbers have been great, and deservedly so. Here's hoping they can keep it up.

Just read these three issues and pretty much completely agree. Very happy with everything I've read so far. Tec and Flash both remind me a LOT of late 90s/early 00s DCU which is what I wanted.

I didn't have any issues with Flash's art either. I think my only real hangup is the use of CG effects. Doesn't really go too well outside of the lightning (which also looks a bit too... CG-y at points). The use of narration boxes saying stuff like "I'm the fastest man alive etc." reminded me a lot of the Wally stuff I've read, which was cool! I can't say I'm excited to see more speedster villains but everything else was pretty great so I'll see how it goes.

Anyone here read Wayward? It's a fun action romp.

Wayward_01-1.png

Been a busy night and a few pages late, but I'd like to also agree Cable has been amazing in Uncanny Avengers. Glad to see Cable love here.

Totally Awesome Hulk was also very cathartic. Enjoyed it very much.

Captain America: Sam Wilson 10: I felt nothing. Kinda dull. That last page though
CWII Choosing Sides 1: bleeeecccchhh hard pass. Awful.

Comics were a mistake

Sandfox

Captain America: Sam Wilson 10: I felt nothing. Kinda dull. That last page though
CWII Choosing Sides 1: bleeeecccchhh hard pass. Awful.

Comics were a mistake

I laughed at Captain America because the guy at the beginning reminded me of certain comic-related websites.

Sandfox

I'm going to go more spoilerific with thoughts this week:
Sam Wilson:
I'm kinda mixed on the black hero meeting because it will make some people roll their eyes, but it's also really cool to see a form of community between the black heroes. I'm not a War Machine fan, but I felt Sam gave him a really good eulogy and I like how Spencer brought up how similar the two are despite not really knowing each other all to well. This was a pretty cool idea for a tie-in and the Rage tease at the end gives us a bit of the ongoing story
Gwenpool:
This book continues to be funny while telling the type of story you would expect from a serious comic book. The art was amazing as always and I felt for Gwenpool, which I never would have expected when this character was first revealed. Batroc's comment on how the comic world must be one sad fairy tale was great along with Dr. Strange's part in the story.
TA Hulk:
All I can say is that it's nice to have Bruce back and seeing him letting all his pent up anger out on Tony was a really cool scene. Now to see what happens with the character next. Pak keeps bringing up the car metaphor and I'm not sure if he used it in his previous run, but it's pretty decent.
Uncanny Avengers:
I'm mixed on this issue because the book is clearly getting better and this continues the trend, but I'm tired of all the bad stuff happening to Hank.I think there's more to the story than the assumption Jan made so I'm just going to let Duggan tell his story. Jan's new costume looks like here EMH costume so I automatically like it and it's nice to see young Cap doing stuff on the team.
Ms. Marvel:
I didn't really like this issue, but having someone Ms. Marvel knows get predicted as a serious criminal is a pretty interesting dilemma for the character in the next issue

This was about all I could read today as I wasn't really in the mood to go for more.

Civil War II: X-Men #1
This was okay. The chemistry between the X-Men teams was good, although the dialogue was a bit hand hold-y. Not sure I feel this plot, even though it was inevitable.
I especially don't like Nightcrawler's position at the end. Also: who the fuck is Monet? I don't like her and apparently she has all the powers. She's been on the Uncanny team and I don't like her there, either.
Overall it's a decent tie-in.

Vic_Viper

I would recommend not reading the big summer events that go before Secret Wars. They're mostly just not that good.

The good thing is that Secret Wars is the conclusion of Hickman's work for Marvel and there is a clear line in nearly all of his work that leads to it

Read Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/Future Foundation, then read his Avengers work (Avengers and New Avengers) including Infinity and then read you can read Secret Wars and enjoy it to the max.

Fantastic Four:

Fantastic Four: Dark Reign Mini
Fantastic Four #570-588
Future Foundation #1-11
Fantastic Four #600-604
Future Foundation #12-23
Fantastic Four #605.1, 605-611

Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity:
New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #1-4
New Avengers #4
Avengers #5
New Avengers #5-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
New Avengers #8
Infinity #1
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6
New Avengers #12-15
Avengers #24-28
New Avengers #16-17
Avengers #29-34
New Avengers #18-23
Avengers #35
New Avengers #24-25
Avengers #36-37
New Avengers #26
Avnegers #38
New Avengers #27
Avengers #39
New Avengers 28
Avengers #40

Then just read Secret Wars!

Do this. His run starts pretty much right after Secret Invasion and is very good too. a good idea might be to look for a MU free month code if u don't want to pick up the trades/digital.

Hickman's FF run starts out directly dealing with what has happened in Civil War.

Also recommend Bendis's All New and Uncanny X-men.

That Force Awakens adaptation is pretty crappy, feels like I'm watching TFA on fast forward.

That was always going to be the case when you attempt to squeeze a two hour film into five issues. I might pick up the collected edition but I've read the novel and watched the film, so it would be a bit of an overkill.

shingi70

Banned
No one talks about it, but Rocket and Groot is a really great all ages book.

Touching on current events everyone in this thread should read March books 1 & 2by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell.

Powerful stuff
MarchVol1-P92.jpg

march-book-one-lewis-powell-02.jpg

march_lewis_13.jpg

Rebirth Rankings of the week!

Aquaman>Detective>WW>Action>Flash

Really bummed by Flash, I've been excited for this book since the announcement of the first story arc, but it's two issues now that have mostly felt like rehash with a little stinger at the end. This really needs to pick up in the next issue or two.

Action felt like it moved really fast but it also felt like a lot of rehash with little happening.

Aquaman was just great. It sucks that we're still on this whole coexist story line but Black Manta really came off as a threat in this issue and it got into the story fast.

Detective was a really close second. I still love the dynamic and the team, I'm just not in love with the premise of the story yet. Hopefully it ends up being a surprise though.

WW was just ok?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I would recommend not reading the big summer events that go before Secret Wars. They're mostly just not that good.

The good thing is that Secret Wars is the conclusion of Hickman's work for Marvel and there is a clear line in nearly all of his work that leads to it

Read Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/Future Foundation, then read his Avengers work (Avengers and New Avengers) including Infinity and then read you can read Secret Wars and enjoy it to the max.

Fantastic Four:

Fantastic Four: Dark Reign Mini
Fantastic Four #570-588
Future Foundation #1-11
Fantastic Four #600-604
Future Foundation #12-23
Fantastic Four #605.1, 605-611

Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity:
New Avengers #1-3
Avengers #1-4
New Avengers #4
Avengers #5
New Avengers #5-6
Avengers #6-13
New Avengers #7
Avengers #14-17
New Avengers #8
Infinity #1
Avengers #18
New Avengers #9
Infinity #2
Avengers #19
New Avengers #10
Infinity #3
Avengers #20
Infinity #4
Avengers #21
New Avengers #11
Infinity #5
Avengers #22-23
Infinity #6
New Avengers #12-15
Avengers #24-28
New Avengers #16-17
Avengers #29-34
New Avengers #18-23
Avengers #35
New Avengers #24-25
Avengers #36-37
New Avengers #26
Avnegers #38
New Avengers #27
Avengers #39
New Avengers 28
Avengers #40

Then just read Secret Wars!

wonderful, wonderful list right here 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Randomly grabbed Rai 14 to check It out and I actually really liked it. No clue what's really going on in the grand scheme of things but I was able to follow the basic premise easily enough.

Top Bottom