• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Good god I just read some Secret Wars tie ins and I'm seriously considering skipping the majority of that shit. So secret wars offers me the wonderful opportunity to read 15 pages abyssmally written what ifs ? Secret Wars Battleworld, Journal, Spider-Verse, undercooked shit everywhere, just sad little embryos of stories.
Robin Hood with Kate Bishop ? The uncanny Egyptian X-Men ?

Man that Egyptian story was dope :/

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Good god I just read some Secret Wars tie ins and I'm seriously considering skipping the majority of that shit. So secret wars offers me the wonderful opportunity to read 15 pages abyssmally written what ifs ? Secret Wars Battleworld, Journal, Spider-Verse, undercooked shit everywhere, just sad little embryos of stories.

It's like all tie ins. Some are good, some are bad. I'd recommend Thors, Where Monsters Dwell, and Weirdworld.

mreddie

Thors
Secret Love
Siege

That's it. and Love is only 1 issue.

Is this before or after you throw up a poorly placed ice wall costing some of your teammates kills while getting others killed?

I'm smart, I block the other team from advancing...only to go around the wall.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Why would you star with the anthologies? What else were you expecting from them?

kmfdmpig

I'd rank this week's Rebirth books as so:

Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Flash

I was not disappointed by any of them by any means, I'm enjoying what each is doing.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm surprised by how DC has just knocked this all out of the park. I was expecting the line to range from great to ok, but for the first month at least, the whole Rebirth line has been consistently great. From what I've seen on Twitter and heard in interviews, the sales numbers have been great, and deservedly so. Here's hoping they can keep it up.

I feel the same way.

Nu52 was disappointing overall as there were quite a few misses mixed in with the few gems. With Rebirth I haven't read anything that I've truly disliked and have read some that I quite liked (Detective, Green Arrow, Batman, Aquaman). July looks like it should add some good titles as well. I'm hopeful that the new Birds of Prey will turn out well as the Dixon/Simone runs of that before Nu52 were some of my favorite comics. It sounds like the sales are good as well, so DC might be in the midst of a much needed turnaround.

Li Kao

Why would you star with the anthologies? What else were you expecting from them?

You've got a point. And I'm fully prepared to admit that I played with fire and wanted to read the possible worst first. But my point is that I had no idea this was this bad.
Ok I have A Force, Infinity Gauntlet and Old Man Logan to read, let's hope for the best.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
You've got a point. And I'm fully prepared to admit that I played with fire and wanted to read the possible worst first. But my point is that I had no idea this was this bad.
Ok I have A Force, Infinity Gauntlet and Old Man Logan to read, let's hope for the best.

Better choices. :)

A-Force and Infinity Gauntlet were two of my favorites. Heard good things about OML too.

As for the anthologies what did you think of the DD, Sinister, Elektra story? That is the one that stuck out above the rest for me.

Owzers

Even the tie-ins to SW i liked left me feeling like they deserved a gold star for a worthy effort, all that stuff was immediately forgettable.

Li Kao

Better choices. :)

A-Force and Infinity Gauntlet were two of my favorites. Heard good things about OML too.

As for the anthologies what did you think of the DD, Sinister, Elektra story? That is the one that stuck out above the rest for me.

I just read the first few 1's for now.

It sounds like the sales are good as well, so DC might be in the midst of a much needed turnaround.

We're talking comics. Sales of everything other than Batman will be in the toilet five issues in. DC is enjoying dual #1s hype for most of their line.

Quality has been fairly decent overall. I've only dumped one book so far (Green Lanterns), and am on the fence with two others. But I can see myself purchasing 4-5 titles per month, which is 4-5 more than I was buying before Rebirth.

I read Deadpool's Secret Wars and thought that was not worth my time. Still plan to read all tie-ins.

Read the first issue of 52! Montoya is in it! And Plastic Man (who is creeping on someone dressed in a flamenco type dress)!

I am a bit confused with the timing though. It is clearly after Indentity Crisis because of what Ralph Dibny is going through (-_-) . But Barry Allen (?) is talking about Wally West, so this is before whenever Wally disappeared?

kmfdmpig

Read the first issue of 52! Montoya is in it! And Plastic Man (who is creeping on someone dressed in a flamenco type dress)!

I am a bit confused with the timing though. It is clearly after Indentity Crisis because of what Ralph Dibny is going through (-_-) . But Barry Allen (?) is talking about Wally West, so this is before whenever Wally disappeared?

52 will be a treat. It takes place in the lost year after Infinite Crisis.

We're talking comics. Sales of everything other than Batman will be in the toilet five issues in. DC is enjoying dual #1s hype for most of their line.

It's true that it's all relative, but I do think that they might come out of this in better shape than they have been in for the last few years, particularly if the quality stays high as that should partially limit the inevitable drop from issue 1 to issue 2.

JTripper

Finished Batman Earth One Vol 2. I really like this series and volume 2 felt very Nolanverse-inspired in many ways. It's a really cool take on retelling Batman's early career with neat and interesting twists on certain characters and their relationships.

One big similarity it has to the Nolan movies I noticed was that Batman really isn't "peak" Batman and he feels very grounded. He kind of sucks and makes mistakes but is still very smart and can hold his own in hand-to-hand combat,
except when fighting beings like Croc, who I thought was a decent addition to the story.
The "twist" towards the end regarding
the Dent siblings
was super cool and knowing what this Earth One series is, it felt like a fitting twist yet was still a genuine surprise I did not see coming.

It's sort of disappointing that this is a series where each volume is few and far between, especially since Johns is taking a break from comics right now. I guess that just makes each new book feel significant and not just like an ongoing comic that comes out every few months. I'll be really excited when a volume 3 is announced. What makes the wait worse for me is the HCs come out first and I have these first two in TPB. :/

VanWinkle

Finished Batman Earth One Vol 2. I really like this series and volume 2 felt very Nolanverse-inspired in many ways. It's a really cool take on retelling Batman's early career with neat and interesting twists on certain characters and their relationships.

One big similarity it has to the Nolan movies I noticed was that Batman really isn't "peak" Batman and he feels very grounded. He kind of sucks and makes mistakes but is still very smart and can hold his own in hand-to-hand combat,
except when fighting beings like Croc, who I thought was a decent addition to the story.
The "twist" towards the end regarding
the Dent siblings
was super cool and knowing what this Earth One series is, it felt like a fitting twist yet was still a genuine surprise I did not see coming.

It's sort of disappointing that this is a series where each volume is few and far between, especially since Johns is taking a break from comics right now. I guess that just makes each new book feel significant and not just like an ongoing comic that comes out every few months. I'll be really excited when a volume 3 is announced. What makes the wait worse for me is the HCs come out first and I have these first two in TPB. :/

Agreed. It's great.

Messi

New Comixology sales going up. Millarworld (Jupiters Legacy Vol 1 will be free), LGBTQ , She Hulk.

Can someone please tell me what issues of the Slott She Hulk run I should buy. It seems him and David were sharing the series at one point? Should I just buy it all?

All three of those are amazing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*Sees Stardew Valley on sale

giphy.gif

*sees 20% discount

200w.gif

Owzers

Does this Brexit thing involve comics in any way? I feel like whoever votes to leave is also leaving comics-gaf but then i remember it's not America so i don't care.

Rhaknar

Is that for SDCC?

Edit: nvm says so right on the badge lol. Im jelly.

Top Bottom