• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

kmfdmpig

Dropped Flash like a bad habit after that bullshit
"We have to go back to Earth 2!" Couldn't deal. Especially after Patty and the time travel episode to visit Reverse Flash.

Flash can be frustrating in the sense that even though the show constantly tells us how smart the characters are they all regularly make very dumb choices. For me, as long as I can just go along with that then I almost always like the show, but you're right that for scientific geniuses there's not a lot of logic or thought displayed.

IHaveIce

Banned
Comics are good right now man. DC's the strongest it's been in forever, Marvel has some fantastic books in an overall disappointing ANAD campaign, and Image is Image. This is my favorite hobby 100%.

Can't wait for ANAD to be over though. To me it feels like DC You if it was successful.

Bring on Marvel NOW Blade please.

yeah Really exited for the Fall Marvel Now series, do we know what will come?

Though when I see those promotion pics for the fall relaunch I get annoyed again.

kmfdmpig

Oh, cool, hadn't even heard of Incorruptible. I'll check that out.

It's a bit shorter (30 issues vs. 37 for Irredeemable) and is basically the same premise reversed - a villain turning good.

Waid is one of the best out there, I think, and it's solid. Reading it together with Irredeemable will make both slightly better as well (but it's not truly needed to enjoy Irredeemable).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
ZcoBLZZ.jpg

:'(

Owzers

Rebirth is so good

The only Rebirth i've read so far was the DC Universe Johns issue and Batman Rebirth #1 soooooooo right now it's looking like average DC stuff.

Waiting on Batman #1 and Wonder Woman Rebirth and #1 in my next dc shipment, also pre-ordering Suicide Squad.

TheFlow

Banned
The only Rebirth i've read so far was the DC Universe Johns issue and Batman Rebirth #1 soooooooo right now it's looking like average DC stuff.

Waiting on Batman #1 and Wonder Woman Rebirth and #1 in my next dc shipment, also pre-ordering Suicide Squad.
You didn't read green arrow? You doing it wrong mane

Li Kao

I hate when that happens, I'm always late to pull the trigger 😞

And is there a chance of a restock by some miracle or when it's dead it's dead. Because I get the niche status of this book, I get the even nicher variant cover, but the release is not even 20 days old, it's brutal.

Owzers

You didn't read green arrow? You doing it wrong mane

As a pre-orderer of books, Green Arrow didn't seem like a safe bet. I might get the trade, though the last time people hyped a Green Arrow book it was Lemire's run and i didn't think much of the first trade outside of the fantastic art.

Flash can be frustrating in the sense that even though the show constantly tells us how smart the characters are they all regularly make very dumb choices. For me, as long as I can just go along with that then I almost always like the show, but you're right that for scientific geniuses there's not a lot of logic or thought displayed.
Characters making dumb decisions is something that has to happen sometimes to propel the drama and plot forward. It also shows us that they're human, and thus relatable and allows people to get emotionally invested in them. But that show goes too far off the deep end. The first strike was the S1 finale, in which everyone not only allows Barry to do the single dumbest thing, but they support it. Even though
Joe, Barry's dad, and Cisco
all straight up say, "this is a garbage idea," they still go, "whatever you want Barry." It's fucking stupid and that finale was garbage.

The next strike was Patty, which I shouldn't even have to explain why that was absolutely stupid and contrived on every level conceivable. I mean why
would Barry listen to Harry's life advice at that point? He never did before and he certainly doesn't after? Hell, he doesn't listen to the major and important shit Harry says. Absolutely stupid. The third strike was mainly the whole, "we have to go back to Earth 2! Let's open up a breach!" FUCKING WHY? You have no reason to! Zoom is locked on the other side as far as you know (and yes, I know that later on it's revealed he can make his own breaches). Earth 2 wasn't even in a bad spot until Barry showed up and fucked everything up. All Zoom was doing was sitting in a cave when he wasn't trolling Earth 1. Deathstorm and Killer Frost were shit bags, but it's not like someone couldn't have shot them and ended that, so that's their fault. Oh, and then there's the episode where he travels back to get the tachyon charger from Reverse Flash, where and Hartley and the gang are all friends now and Hartley shows up just because and then leaves.

On top of all of that? Every time Barry does something he isn't supposed to, he's completely forgiven, but not just forgiven: he's actually enabled to keep doing it. He's never punished on any level. Except for Wally, which was really the only reason I bothered with S2 for as long as I did. Wally constantly called Barry out on being worshipped as a golden child even though he seemingly does nothing remarkable and gets away with being this major disappointment. Granted, Wally doesn't know he's the Flash, but he isn't wrong. Barry's worshipped as a golden child, and is constantly enabled. I'm sorry, but if I had a friend who kept changing the timeline and always doing exactly what he shouldn't be, I'd stop being his friend. Fuck that guy, but yet everyone is still fine with Barry doing it. Like, fuck that noise. Calling Barry out is also why Cisco's my favorite, next to Joe (only because Jesse Martin is the best actor on that show by a millennia).

Comics |OT| July 2016 Marvel NOW That's What I Call Comics Vol. 2
Slight changes, but otherwise supported

TheFlow

Banned
As a pre-orderer of books, Green Arrow didn't seem like a safe bet. I might get the trade, though the last time people hyped a Green Arrow book it was Lemire's run and i didn't think much of the first trade outside of the fantastic art.
Oh snap you one of those physical buyers

Vic_Viper

Is the 52 omnibus worth owning if you already own it digitally? Just ordered John's Teen Tians omni and Absolute Batman Inc. have enough to get one more and was wondering about either 52 or waiting and getting Deadly Class DLX HC and Fear Agent vol. 2.

TheFlow

Banned
Is the 52 omnibus worth owning if you already own it digitally? Just ordered John's Teen Tians omni and Absolute Batman Inc. have enough to get one more and was wondering about either 52 or waiting and getting Deadly Class DLX HC and Fear Agent vol. 2.
Don't forget about the Barnes and Noble sale. You might be able to save some money compared to ist.

If you already own 52 digitally Imo I would switch it up and get fear agent and deadly class.

So I didn't really read comics yesterday, because I had some catch-up sleeping to do, primarily.

9H8x1vL.jpg
imccOYu.jpg

Marvel Zombies (2015) #1
Elsa Bloodstone + Shotgun + Zombies. Totally what I wanted from it. Just some silly nice to look at fun.
Only nitpick, on a broader level: in the case of some characters, be it because they are maybe less developed or because I have bad luck and just read the wrong issues, the deja-vu is a little tiring. Yes, I know that Elsa was bred by the psycho alpha male version of Buffy. And it's cool, just... could we stop bringing this up every time Elsa shows up in a comics\ ?!

its critical to the plot of that particular comic, though.

TheFlow

Banned
There's a Barnes & Noble sale?
Yea vanwrinkle and I took advantage of it.

20% off 50 dollar orders, 25% off 100 dollar orders, and 30%off 150 orders.

I got doom patrol for 68 dollars and uncanny x men omnibus for like 30 something.

What makes this sale better than ist is that the discounts stack. So you can end up with 65-70 percent discounts off marvel omnibus.

And is there a chance of a restock by some miracle or when it's dead it's dead. Because I get the niche status of this book, I get the even nicher variant cover, but the release is not even 20 days old, it's brutal.

I doubt it. It sold out in five days or so at IST and people on the Facebook group are saying the comic shops can't order more either.

Li Kao

I doubt it. It sold out in five days or so at IST and people on the Facebook group are saying the comic shops can't order more either.

Ok, I truly hope Forbidden Planet is a good store because I may or may not have failed a will save here.

Next one (aka when I will have money, so one day) - Howard the Duck Omnibus !

Aceun

anybody have impressions for:

she wolf #1

ultimates #8

power man and ironfirst #5

monstress #6

Just read Ultimates #8 out of this list.

Ultimates still stands as my favorite ANAD Marvel book. I thought this issue in particular, did a great job in fleshing out the Civil War 2 events. We get a nice little origin story of the Ultimates which ties in well with the central Civil War 2 conflict and "Change the Future" rationale.

The strongest aspect of the issue was the fact that we got to see the moments leading up to big fallout in Civil War 2 (complete with how they came up with strategy), the event itself and most importantly the ramifications and how it affected the entire Ultimates team. It managed to have enough intrigue, strong heartfelt human moments and dramatic action, I almost wish Ewing was writing Civil War 2. And Rocafort continues to crush it on the art department.

I would be remiss to mention that there's also an introduction to a new player (or players) in the series - and I like when there's an ongoing threat beyond the arc-to-arc. And last but not least, there's a great stinger at the end. All in all, this continues to deliver and fire on all cylinders.

TheFlow

Banned
Just read Ultimates #8 out of this list.

Ultimates still stands as my favorite ANAD Marvel book. I thought this issue in particular, did a great job in fleshing out the Civil War 2 events. We get a nice little origin story of the Ultimates which ties in well with the central Civil War 2 conflict and "Change the Future" rationale.

The strongest aspect of the issue was the fact that we got to see the moments leading up to big fallout in Civil War 2 (complete with how they came up with strategy), the event itself and most importantly the ramifications and how it affected the entire Ultimates team. It managed to have enough intrigue, strong heartfelt human moments and dramatic action, I almost wish Ewing was writing Civil War 2. And Rocafort continues to crush it on the art department.

I would be remiss to mention that there's also an introduction to a new player (or players) in the series - and I like when there's an ongoing threat beyond the arc-to-arc. And last but not last, there's a great stinger at the end. All in all, this continues to deliver and fire on all cylinders.
Hory shit now this is how you write a non spoiler summary.

Good stuff

So Mondo has had this Ramona Flowers figure prototype forever, and it's finally going up for pre-order on Tuesday.

I think she's about 12" tall. The part with Scott peaking out of her bag is a Mondo-exclusive part. No word on price yet, but knowing what I know about Mondo, I'm guessing she'll be about $150-$200. Though they took a page out of Sideshow's book and offer payment plans, now. Though they do it through a 3rd-party app that requires a site registration.

Comics are good right now man. DC's the strongest it's been in forever, Marvel has some fantastic books in an overall disappointing ANAD campaign, and Image is Image. This is my favorite hobby 100%.

Bring on Marvel NOW Blade please.

I think I agree with most of this. ANAD started out great but it's fallen a bit flat since the launch. There are still some fun books, but a lot of them aren't good enough to justify the prices Marvel is trying to normalize. DC has been a big surprise, though. Rebirth has been a lot of fun so far.

I'm starting to lose hope that Blade is ever coming, though. It was probably one of the ANAD books that I was looking forward to the most.

TheFlow

Banned
So Mondo has had this Ramona Flowers figure prototype forever, and it's finally going up for pre-order on Tuesday.

I think she's about 12" tall. The part with Scott peaking out of her bag is a Mondo-exclusive part. No word on price yet, but knowing what I know about Mondo, I'm guessing she'll be about $150-$200. Though they took a page out of Sideshow's book and offer payment plans, now. Though they do it through a 3rd-party app that requires a site registration.

I think I agree with most of this. ANAD started out great but it's fallen a bit flat since the launch. There are still some fun books, but a lot of them aren't good enough to justify the prices Marvel is trying to normalize. DC has been a big surprise, though. Rebirth has been a lot of fun so far.

I'm starting to lose hope that Blade is ever coming, though. It was probably one of the ANAD books that I was looking forward to the most.
Saw it last night on Twitter. gorgeous statue that is going to sell out once available

Saw it last night on Twitter. gorgeous statue that is going to sell out once available

Sure, but I don't know how limited the run is. I doubt it will sell out immediately. Price is also an issue. I don't know if I'd be willing to go over $150 for that one.

Also look at that shoulder seam. Disgusting.

Messi

Sure, but I don't know how limited the run is. I doubt it will sell out immediately. Price is also an issue. I don't know if I'd be willing to go over $150 for that one.

Also look at that shoulder seam. Disgusting.

It's Mondo. Those people are well used to overpaying for shit. Of course it will sell out when it goes live.

Owzers

two mercies, two torbs, bastion defense destroyed my team :/

Hero stacking, make it stop.

I watched two episodes of Marco Polo season 1, it's interesting yet really annoying, i don't like Marco at all and the way the show moves is just weird. "describe this to me Latin!"

TheFlow

Banned
Good points. So hard to spend money on statutes when I can buy more book instead :/. Will keep my eye on this statue though because it is 12 inches

Looking at the goon and Usagi volumes. We wont be getting a goon library edition next year, and same for usagi.

What do you mean? Goon Library Vol.4 comes out in October. I highly, highly doubt Dark Horse has solidified all of their trade release plans for 2017 at this point. They're coming, just not scheduled yet.

TheFlow

Banned
What do you mean? Goon Library Vol.4 comes out in October. I highly, highly doubt Dark Horse has solidified all of their trade release plans for 2017 at this point. They're coming, just not scheduled yet.

yea and usagi saga 7 comes out later this year, but I don't think we will get any next year because they are just about caught up with the trades.

otherwise sales for the trades will dip.

yea and usagi saga 7 comes out later this year, but I don't think we will get any next year because they are just about caught up with the trades.

otherwise sales for the trades will dip.

Goon should definitely have one more Library Edition coming out. There were 15 TPBs and they've been putting 3 of those in each book. The last one should probably drop before June 2017.

Vic_Viper

Yea vanwrinkle and I took advantage of it.

20% off 50 dollar orders, 25% off 100 dollar orders, and 30%off 150 orders.

I got doom patrol for 68 dollars and uncanny x men omnibus for like 30 something.

What makes this sale better than ist is that the discounts stack. So you can end up with 65-70 percent discounts off marvel omnibus.

When does it end? Anyone have a link with the info? I can't seem to find anything on it on mobile. I'm at work.

wait the goon is a finished series? I thought it was still an ongoing comic?

Nope. Once Upon A Hard Time was the last story. He may do some one-shot or something here and there, but the series is done. Issue #1 of his new ongoing book, Hillbilly, comes out next week. There's an awesome free preview up on Comixology.

Ok, I truly hope Forbidden Planet is a good store because I may or may not have failed a will save here.

Next one (aka when I will have money, so one day) - Howard the Duck Omnibus !

You should look on eBay for Howard the Duck, and soon. It got clearanced out and you can find a copy for $30 - $40 shipped. It had recently dropped to < $30 but is going up again.

wait the goon is a finished series? I thought it was still an ongoing comic?

Wrapped up recently.

Top Bottom