• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

arkon

Finished the Astro City: The Tarnished Angel trade. Superb stuff once again. I always look forward to seeing the characters they introduce (The Mock Turtle! Steeljack! ), down to the designs, back stories and the twists they throw in there. It's the kind of thing I get a kick out of in creator-owned superhero comics so this series does feel like it caters to that need very specifically.

The last three trades have been so consistently good it's made me question what I thought of the first trade which I thought was merely ok at the time but perhaps wasn't used to Astro City at that point and what to expect from it. It's gotten to the point where I'm drawing out the experience because I don't want to run out of reading material much like I'm doing with Usagi Yojimbo and the Mignolaverse.

So good.

Finished the Astro City: The Tarnished Angel trade. Superb stuff once again. I always look forward to seeing the characters they introduce (The Mock Turtle! Steeljack! ), down to the designs, back stories and the twists they throw in there. It's the kind of thing I get a kick out of in creator-owned superhero comics so this series does feel like it caters to that need very specifically.

The last three trades have been so consistently good it's made me question what I thought of the first trade which I thought was merely ok at the time but perhaps wasn't used to Astro City at that point and what to expect from it. It's gotten to the point where I'm drawing out the experience because I don't want to run out of reading material much like I'm doing with Usagi Yojimbo and the Mignolaverse.

So good.

More Astro City fans! One of the GOAT comics. (Easily in my top 5).

The Tarnished Angel arc is so beautifully paced. It captured the weariness and resignation and resentment of SteelJack so well.

The first trade is a bit of a difficult introduction if one is coming in expecting a more regular arc and storytelling structure. I keep finding so many thing on rereads. It might be my most re-read trade ever.

Calcium

Banned
I was thinking about getting into Thor today. Would Aaron's God of Thunder run be a good jumping on point? I'm interested to see how the whole female Thor thing plays out, trying to figure out the best place to start.

LL106p1.jpg

I was thinking about getting into Thor today. Would Aaron's God of Thunder run be a good jumping on point?

Yes

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about getting into Thor today. Would Aaron's God of Thunder run be a good jumping on point? I'm interested to see how the whole female Thor thing plays out, trying to figure out the best place to start.

God of Thunder is good in its own right, but The female Thor stuff sort of stands alone. There's a bit at the end of GOT where they foreshadow it a bit, but most of the Odinson losing the ability to use the hammer stuff is all in Original Sin.

YES. Don't skip to Jane-Thor. Jane-Thor is great but God of Thunder is amazing. The first arc is one of the greatest Thor stories of all time.

TheFlow

Banned

Thor: God of Thunder is fucking Amazing. I am still reading it but man is it everything i wanted from a Thor book. The new run with Jane is boss as well.

Calcium

Banned

God of Thunder is good in its own right, but The female Thor stuff sort of stands alone. There's a bit at the end of GOT where they foreshadow it a bit, but most of the Odinson losing the ability to use the hammer stuff is all in Original Sin.

YES. Don't skip to Jane-Thor. Jane-Thor is great but God of Thunder is amazing. The first arc is one of the greatest Thor stories of all time.

Thor: God of Thunder is fucking Amazing. I am still reading it but man is it everything i wanted from a Thor book. The new run with Jane is boss as well.

Right on. Thanks everyone.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Probably for the best. I won't finish this until later tonight, just getting the opening act.

This & that "FF is debuting on HBO tonight" thread remind me:

ComicGAF should live chat a movie - it can be a terrible one or a comic book one or maybe both, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Curious Black is my favourite Harry Potter fan fic character.

Back when Rob Bricken was still at topless robot he posted a Fan Fiction Friday where a young Tom Riddle met Indiana Jones (which actually makes a certain amount of sense) and then they get it on (which doesn't, but hey, it's fan fiction).

So my favorite HP fan fic character is Indy.

I'm interested in seeing how Soule writes Mosaic tomorrow.

I'll take anything but painfully dull which is what I am expecting

Edit: wait are you actually talking about future seeing guy or does Mosaic really debut tomorrow?

Edit 2: Well, I suppose my statement applies either way

I like Johnny and Medusa together but that has to be the most nonsensical power coupling like ever. Every time they have a fight scene I'm thinking "how is she not on fire." Her power is literally spontaneous generation and manipulation of a swarming nest of flammable material that is attached to her head

Ponn

Banned
I got my latest IST order, Lazarus HC vol. 2, X-men AoA Twilight TP and Superior Foes of Spider-Man Omnibus. I was putting them on the shelf when I realized even thought Spider-Man is like in my top 5 rotating favorite comic characters i'm severely lacking in my physical collection for him. I have a couple Ultimate Spider-Man collection HC's which I really did enjoy his Ultimate run but thats about it. I have a shitload of Batman books, couple absolutes, same with Green Lantern and multiple cosmic marvel books.

It got me thinking is there like any definitive Spider-Man stories or is it really more of his entire story arc being iconic? Batman fans can generally point to collections like Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Court of Owls, etc just like Superman fans have theirs, classic X-Men stories and so forth. The Clone Saga while iconic is most often mentioned in joking terms. I'm still waiting on a Spider-Man Gauntlet collection.

I got my latest IST order, Lazarus HC vol. 2, X-men AoA Twilight TP and Superior Foes of Spider-Man Omnibus. I was putting them on the shelf when I realized even thought Spider-Man is like in my top 5 rotating favorite comic characters i'm severely lacking in my physical collection for him. I have a couple Ultimate Spider-Man collection HC's which I really did enjoy his Ultimate run but thats about it. I have a shitload of Batman books, couple absolutes, same with Green Lantern and multiple cosmic marvel books.

It got me thinking is there like any definitive Spider-Man stories or is it really more of his entire story arc being iconic? Batman fans can generally point to collections like Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Court of Owls, etc just like Superman fans have theirs, classic X-Men stories and so forth. The Clone Saga while iconic is most often mentioned in joking terms. I'm still waiting on a Spider-Man Gauntlet collection.
Kravens Last Hunt is one of Spider-Man's iconic stories and it's actually really great

TheFlow

Banned

Vol 1-2 are msut haves. This is what sets the bar for spiderman stories, and introduces a lot of classic characters.
The reprint just came out and is going for 55 bucks with free shipping. It will go out of print. pick it up. Like Daredevil by Frank Miller, it sets the standard for every other writer
https://them0vieblog.com/2012/08/03...spider-man-omnibus-vol-1-reviewretrospective/
Amazing01.jpg

as33.gif

Sandfox

I'll take anything but painfully dull which is what I am expecting

Edit: wait are you actually talking about future seeing guy or does Mosaic really debut tomorrow?

Edit 2: Well, I suppose my statement applies either way
Mosaic is debuting and the book already gone into a second printing. Based on interviews I'm interested in the ongoing, but Soule obviously isn't writing that so we'll see how he writes the character.

Ponn

Banned
Kravens Last Hunt is one of Spider-Man's iconic stories and it's actually really great

Yea I guess that is one I kinda forgot about.

Vol 1-2 are msut haves. This is what sets the bar for spiderman stories, and introduces a lot of classic characters.
Amazing01.jpg

as33.gif

Well thats not what I meant but kinda what was I talking about. If someone were to come to you and say they just saw a Batman movie and was hyped to read some great Batman stories you might point directly to a DKR tpb or Long Halloween or Year One. If someone comes back from Spider-Man Homecoming and asks the same thing isn't weird there's less go to iconic story arcs that pop in your head, or is just me. Spider-Man is arguably just as iconic and popular as Batman but it seems like its his overall comic story that has made him such rather than specific story arcs.

TheFlow

Banned
If someone just saw any of the spiderman movies and wanted to get into the comics, I would recommend them that omnibus 9/10 times unless they really wanted something current.

Stan lee spiderman really is the GOAT.

Spiderman comics has a lot of great arcs, but you really won't find any stand alone books like Batman because marvel does things a lil bit different.

if someone really wants to read a spiderman arc by itself, there is always stuff like kravens last hunt, spiderman blue, and spiderman big time.

Daniel Way's run on Astonishing X-Men is not great. It's really not.
If it were up to me I'd just throw up a picture of Hellboy next month and call it a day.
Literally everyone would want this
I like Johnny and Medusa together but that has to be the most nonsensical power coupling like ever. Every time they have a fight scene I'm thinking "how is she not on fire." Her power is literally spontaneous generation and manipulation of a swarming nest of flammable material that is attached to her head
Her hair is super strong when it needs to be.

Ponn

Banned
If someone just saw any of the spiderman movies and wanted to get into the comics, I would recommend them that omnibus 9/10 times unless they really wanted something current.

Stan lee spiderman really is the GOAT.

Spiderman comics has a lot of great arcs, but you really won't find any stand alone books like Batman because marvel does things a lil bit different.

if someone really wants to read a spiderman arc by itself, there is always stuff like kravens last hunt, spiderman blue, and spiderman big time.

Yea, and I hope no one takes what i'm saying the wrong way, I don't mean this in a bad way. I would have a really hard time suggesting just one collected story book (everyone knows Sinister Six, which is the defining story for them though?) and thats what got me thinking about this. I just found it odd how both characters could be just as famous but with different approaches to how their stories have been told and consumed.

Calcium

Banned
It got me thinking is there like any definitive Spider-Man stories or is it really more of his entire story arc being iconic?

Aside from the arcs already mentioned I really recommend the Superior Spider-Man arc. I've been reading tons of Spidey lately and that is my absolute favorite so far. Probably tied with No One Dies from Big Time.

Spider-Man is arguably just as iconic and popular as Spider-man

Right.

Ponn

Banned
Aside from the arcs already mentioned I really recommend the Superior Spider-Man arc. I've been reading tons of Spidey lately and that is my absolute favorite so far. Probably tied with No One Dies from Big Time.

Right.

Haha, shit. Manifest destiny.

Sandfox

I want to start buying BND and Big Time since I have massive gaps in my collection, but there are probably going to be a million trades for the new release.

PSA: Don't drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Thankfully I wasn't the DD today.

Alternative PSA: Don't be a lightweight.

The reprint just came out and is going for 55 bucks with free shipping. It will go out of print. pick it up. Like Daredevil by Frank Miller, it sets the standard for every other writer
https://them0vieblog.com/2012/08/03...spider-man-omnibus-vol-1-reviewretrospective/
Amazing01.jpg

[ig]https://m0vie.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/as33.gif?w=468[/img]

I think I actually own this. Got in as part of a local trade because I was trying to get rid of some books. Will have to get around to it, haven't ever read any Spider-man comics.

VanWinkle

How is Spider-man by Stern? I would like to get into the Stan Lee stuff, but honestly, I don't know if I could do that early writing style. I respect what Stan Lee has done, but his writing style is very outdated.

shingi70

Banned
First Rage is back and now Nighthawk?

ucyv1ug8prkxsvq7pgio.png

Marvel is going to scare away some folks

Such a shame DC fucked with Walkers Cyborg run.

Marvel is in a weird place where individual books are great, but overall I'm not excited about much their doing right now.

TheFlow

Banned
Hellboy library editions rarely mentions anything from BRPD after library vol 3.

then there is like a tie in page at library edition 6.

PSA: Don't drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Thankfully I wasn't the DD today.

Alternative PSA: Don't be a lightweight.

I think I actually own this. Got in as part of a local trade because I was trying to get rid of some books. Will have to get around to it, haven't ever read any Spider-man comics.

I don't own it yet, but I know for a fact that is an classic.

Top Bottom