• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finished all 4 trades of Thor: God of Thunder.

Vol 1, 2 and 4 were fantastic, while 3 took a pretty big dip. The story was okay, nothing great but the art was generic and often pretty poor.

If it looked this good for each panel

usRYoEs.jpg

it wouldn't have been too bad but he only really put the work into spreads or those splash pages. Most pages felt like he did a quick sketch and never bother to go back and actually throw shit.

Read Batman, Superman, and Green Arrow. I think they all did a great job at what they were going for. They felt very accessible and likable. Definitely on-board with all of them for now at least. I imagine the #1s will be even better.

Green Arrow was the biggest surprise for me. Really fun comic. I'm optimistic for the future for it if this was anything to go by.

Foofaraw

Batman Rebirth was a lot of fun, but it looks like I'm going back to the store tomorrow to pick up the other three books. Despite Rebirth itself being a garbage story with a horrible frame idea, it might get me back in the monthly DC floppy game.

From what I've heard, All-star Batman is going to be more very short stories with more obscure Batman villains. At least, that's what it seemed like from the recent Snyder interview on War Rocket Ajax. It looks like King's book is going to be more standard long arcs. I'm all for a book with short one and done stories with rotating artist and Snyder righting.

Young Justice is good and worth the rewatch.

Batman Rebirth was a lot of fun, but it looks like I'm going back to the store tomorrow to pick up the other three books. Despite Rebirth itself being a garbage story with a horrible frame idea, it might get me back in the monthly DC floppy game.

From what I've heard, All-star Batman is going to be more very short stories with more obscure Batman villains. At least, that's what it seemed like from the recent Snyder interview on War Rocket Ajax. It looks like King's book is going to be more standard long arcs. I'm all for a book with short one and done stories with rotating artist and Snyder righting.

Young Justice is good and worth the rewatch.

i dunno if i'm in for all of all star batman but i am definitely excited for the snyder/jock collab. i hope it's for scarecrow. that would be incredible.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh that was this week? I thought that was way off in futureland. I might pick it up. I'll post impressions if I do.
The preview was a pass for me. The art and dialog made my face do this >_<

It also made me realize that Danny's costume does not mesh with every artist and the panels showing his powers are off

Given the positive impressions of Rebirth:

Can I just jump in with the Rebirth issues or is there some recommended reading to enjoy it? I kinda dipped out of DC back when Flashpoint happened.

Can I just jump in with the Rebirth issues or is there some recommended reading to enjoy it? I kinda dipped out of DC back when Flashpoint happened.

i read it blind to practically everything but batman and grayson so yeah it's pretty noob-friendly.

TheFlow

Banned
But if you get scared by $10 price tags how are you going to react to $15? I say get the $10 issue and just be ready.
15 bucks for anything short of 5 issues can fuck off.

Yah the reason why marvel feels it can charge 5-6 dollars for #1 and event books. Glad DC went back to 3 dollars

10 dollars for 80 pages shitttttttt that is a physical book off of IST.

You should be okay. Superman is a little noob-unfriendly, but as long as you're able to roll with some comics-tier shenanigans you should be fine.

$10 is not that bad for 80 pages DC has spoiled you guys :p

m8 that's 8 pages a dollar. For a dollar, I can get a Beefy Crunch Burrito, which will provide substantially more nourishment and satisfaction than 8 pages of comics, even if I do cook them just right.

TheFlow

Banned
It's also only two and a half Marvel/Image floppies which is less than 80 pages so I'm not sure what your point is
10 dollars can't even get you 3 marvel book lol. Overpriced.

Image books are something different. You can get 3-5 for 10 bucks if you are smart

mreddie

Lol doubt it. People will gladly pay 5 bucks an issue for an marvel book.

Until Marvel renumbers shit again. Just because they're the hotness at the moment doesn't equal to comic sales. Then again, those Star Wars books are saving their ass.

I thought the three I read were easy to follow and I didn't keep up with any of them regularly before Rebirth. As long as you read you won't have any issues following any of them. Even Superman explains pretty much everything going on for example. They're all set-up issues.

i read it blind to practically everything but batman and grayson so yeah it's pretty noob-friendly.

You should be okay. Superman is a little noob-unfriendly, but as long as you're able to roll with some comics-tier shenanigans you should be fine.

m8 that's 8 pages a dollar. For a dollar, I can get a Beefy Crunch Burrito, which will provide substantially more nourishment and satisfaction than 8 pages of comics, even if I do cook them just right.

I thought the three I read were easy to follow and I didn't keep up with any of them regularly before Rebirth. As long as you read you won't have any issues following any of them. Even Superman explains pretty much everything going on for example. They're all set-up issues.

Much appreciated.

Like...I'm not sure what you guys are trying to say about value. I'm not the only one who buys singles on release day, I am sure of this. Even at $3 a book you are getting barely more than 7 pages a dollar for a 22 page funnybook, mister smartypants

TheFlow

Banned
Like...I'm not sure what you guys are trying to say about value. I'm not the only one who buys singles on release day, I am sure of this. Even at $3 a book you are getting barely more than 7 pages a dollar for a 22 page funnybook, mister smartypants
3 for 22> 4 for 22.

I also really like those burritos lol

Sandfox

Comics are a fairly poor value at either price. I would like for comics to go down in price, but unfortunately the creators like to eat.

TheFlow

Banned
Comics are a fairly poor value at either price. I would like for comics to go down in price, but unfortunately the creators like to eat.
Comics like a lot of hobbies on GAF are pricey as fuck. Thank God For CMX delivering steam like sales every week.

Also do creators really benefit more from the price increase. I haven't studied comic book sales and ect. I would assume the extra dollar or two goes to the company.

Edit: read some good articles about the inflation of comics and ect.

5 dollar comics might actually become a standard within a couple years which is scary.

Foofaraw

Lol doubt it. People will gladly pay 5 bucks an issue for an marvel book.
Someone has to subsidize those of us Marvel Unlimited waiting. I don't mind being behind when this is such a good deal.

10 dollars can't even get you 3 marvel book lol. Overpriced.

Image books are something different. You can get 3-5 for 10 bucks if you are smart
Image also doesn't have loads of ads in their comics. I don't understand how Marvel charges so much and then puts ads all over their books. Latest issue of Extraordinary has ads for Universal Studios, Magic Shaving Cream, Wynonna Erp, Munchkin, Overwatch, Geico, Hot wheels, and M&Ms. No letters page, which I wish more books still had. Floppies from Marvel don't have much incentive to buy over trades and MU. Not that DC is any better on this front, but they don't have a sub service.

Edit: Flow, share that article.

Yeah it's pretty crazy that Marvel physical floppies are $4 with a bunch of ads, but don't people who buy books like that typically have a box and a loyalty program that nets them a decent discount?

I hope ads never invade digital books.

mreddie

Yeah it's pretty crazy that Marvel physical floppies are $4 with a bunch of ads, but don't people who buy books like that typically have a box and a loyalty program that nets them a decent discount?

You know they will, ALL OF THEM.

The day they do is the day I stop buying comics. I don't have TV and unsubscribed from Hulu for that shit. Crazy how Marvel peddles that stuff physically especially when the paper quality is so cheap compared to Image books.

Foofaraw

My shop gives me 35% off books preordered 3 months out, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

tim1138

Sciver is occasionally great. I just don't think he's near the top of the big DC artists, unfortunately. I thought some of his GL Johns pages were excellent, but compared to Reis...nah.

Early Johns GL era EvS is a different beast than modern EvS. At one point in time he was mostly good, and you're right, occasionally great. These days his stuff looks lazy and rushed and is all garbage tier.

I believe it was Chris Burnham who said he considers Reis to be the modern equivalent of Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, and that his versions of the DC characters are the definitive takes and should be used as style guides by everyone else.

Ended up really liking Batman and Green Arrow and thought Lanterns was cool but I was pretty meh on Superman. Seemed like it was trying to be a hand off issue but I would have rather gotten. That from their meeting being more substantial. I like what it's setting up, just didn't like this issue.

JLA Classified #1 - #3: This was pretty decent but it felt like too much crammed into 3 issues. But I loved how McGuiness depicted the attoscopic universe in the 16 panel layout. The whole series had such great art.

JLA Earth II #1 = #3: Was a bit apprehensive when starting this because the only other time I read about the Crime Syndicate, they felt like a bit of a joke (in JL Trinity War). This was awesome though. And Quitely!

So the New 52 sale on Comixology. I own the entire Batman run.

I was looking at Green Arrow and considering the Lemire stuff. Looks like Ann Nocenti (lol) was right before. Is anything else in that run worthwhile?

New 52 sale and no Demon Knights. -_-

You can jump in, but Superman would be the most difficult to understand.

Maybe you can read Darkseid War on Justice League 40-50 first too.

Top Bottom