• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

HDNA

Banned
Guys, i just got into comics and i want some recommendations. what i like:

• NO SUPERHEROES
  • NO E.T SHIT
  • i like sci-fi stuff but no e.t
  • i hate comics that try to be novels or books where you get more text per page than a book

i read "y the last man", "revival" and "saga" and they're all great

shingi70

Banned

• NO SUPERHEROES
  • NO E.T SHIT
  • i hate comics that try to be novels or books where you get more text per page than a book

But saga and revival both have et shit.

• NO SUPERHEROES
  • NO E.T SHIT

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034116

This thread should help you. Most in the Image/Dark Horse section might meet your criteria.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

• NO SUPERHEROES
  • NO E.T SHIT

Manifest Destiny
Lazarus
East of West
Deadly Class
Birthright

FWIW, I haven't read Superman since issue... #39 or so and I haven't finished Darkseid War yet and I had zero issues following it. The dialogue and narration throughout the issue really do tell you everything you need to know.

Yep, this ended up being the case for me. I haven't gotten around to reading the others Rebirth comics yet but I was pleasantly surprised to see how easily digestible Superman was.

And I stopped reading way back around Flashpoint.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Checked out Green Arrow from everyone's recommendations, and it was definitely great.

Also read some more, actually purchased this time, Valiant. The Faith mini is delightful, and I'm looking forward to the ongoing. A+A holds up, despite losing Van Lente, which I was worried about. Divinity II has a strong start, as did 4001AD.

Valiant: Give it a chance, you just might like it.

Checked out Green Arrow from everyone's recommendations, and it was definitely great.

Also read some more, actually purchased this time, Valiant. The Faith mini is delightful, and I'm looking forward to the ongoing. A+A holds up, despite losing Van Lente, which I was worried about. Divinity II has a strong start, as did 4001AD.

Valiant: Give it a chance, you just might like it.

Who is writing Archer and Armstrong now?

VanWinkle

lol

He's posting even far more than messi. Almost a hundred posts in less than 48 hours.

Early Johns GL era EvS is a different beast than modern EvS. At one point in time he was mostly good, and you're right, occasionally great. These days his stuff looks lazy and rushed and is all garbage tier.

I believe it was Chris Burnham who said he considers Reis to be the modern equivalent of Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, and that his versions of the DC characters are the definitive takes and should be used as style guides by everyone else.

Thanks for this info. I confess I haven't seen much modern stuff from Sciver. Sad to hear!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Think I've read more comics this week than I ever have before

In such a reading mood

Messi

• NO SUPERHEROES
  • NO E.T SHIT

You stealing mreddies avatar m8. You wanna fight him?

I am OK with this. I am much happier posting less.

Rafer Roberts with art by David Lafuente

He's done other Valiant stuff and some outside things that I've never heard of. The arcs not done yet, but he seems to have a good enough handle on the characters, and keeps it fun.

Cool thanks.

Looks like it starts with a new #1. The synopsis looks interesting too. Will give it a shot.

VanWinkle

I just bought Absolute Sinestro Corps War. I mean, I really really loved the story, and I just feel like I would have been mad if I ended up wanting it sometime down the line and it was no longer $30 at Hamilton Book. That's just the right price IMO to get it since I already have it in the omnibus.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Cool thanks.

Looks like it starts with a new #1. The synopsis looks interesting too. Will give it a shot.

Yeah, the first run, the Van Lente one mostly with Clayton Henry on art, wrapped up with a nice ending point for the ongoing story, this takes up after that. Real good place to jump on. All necessary backstory is covered.

HDNA

Banned
But saga and revival both have et shit.

i've got say that when i reached the e.t part i started to hate it, but in general the comic is good. as for saga, everyone in the comic is not 100% human so it get a pass

What is ET Shit?

any comic that puts extraterrestrial stuff in it so that the comic might interest some people

e.g: me and the gang are eating spaghetti with meatballs while arakon is eating his rainbow colored fungus and sukoran is having some efhiushf which look like black lettuce, when we finish we will go to planet oeifj to get some oiefiuoen to power the enfuoinesf

any comic that puts extraterrestrial stuff in it so that the comic might interest some people

Sounds like Saga to me.

(I may or may not be joking here).

On a scale of -137 to 1375, how good is Gotham Central? I'm tempted by the omnibus but I need a push.

About 1275 I would say.

Yeah, the first run, the Van Lente one mostly with Clayton Henry on art, wrapped up with a nice ending point for the ongoing story, this takes up after that. Real good place to jump on. All necessary backstory is covered.

Yeah, the first one wrapped up nicely. Loved it.

VanWinkle

On a scale of -137 to 1375, how good is Gotham Central? I'm tempted by the omnibus but I need a push.

It really is fantastic. Every story arc is compelling with wonderful well-developed characters that you will care for. Lark's art is awesome and perfect for the tone of the book, and the stand-in artists do a respectable job of replicating that style. I myself want to get the omnibus really bad and will at some point, but, yeah, I highly recommend it.

squadr0n

• NO SUPERHEROES
  • NO E.T SHIT

Check out alot of the new stuff coming out of Image these days.

Highly recommend: Lazarus, East of West, the Manhattan Projects, Deadly Class, Black Science, Saga, Tokyo Ghost, and Monstress.

Lazarus and East of West and some of the best stuff ive read in ages and neither are super hero books. You also might want to check out some of the Mark Millar books since he hates super heroes lol but his new book Empress is really cool. Also Gotham Central is like a police procedural tv show but set in Gotham.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
xfObcYu.jpg

The rest of my IST stuff got here today.

Not sure if I should do a re-read of BPRD: Hell on Earth or just start with volume 10, been a while since I last read it so I kind of forgot most of what's going on.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Black Panther gets its first delay. #3 Now shipping June 29th according to Coates.

It should be re-booted, first two issues were boring as hell and had terrible art.

Gimme some Black Panther: Re-birth.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
i've got say that when i reached the e.t part i started to hate it, but in general the comic is good. as for saga, everyone in the comic is not 100% human so it get a pass

They really don't advertise that part of the story in the beginning anyway. I had no idea that was coming when I started the series. So it wasn't just thrown in to generate interest.

Owzers

I'm going to have to play Tracer, as blizzard has given me a legendary skin for a character i am bad at, but at least i'll look different.

Warriors got this tonight, sorry Cavs :( Frowny Cavs face.

Tonight's comic reading agenda: The howard the duck/squirrel girl crossver.

I'm tempted by this tmnt sale but i dunno.
I've gotten into digital, and tmnt is one of my favorite series, but i already bought the first two hardcovers and they're so nice.

Comics are too pricey to doubledip imo. I'm leaning towards sticking with the hardcovers and just having to wait for like ever.

I'm conflicted whether I should pick up the pretty much the entirety of Snyder's Batman run on the CMX sale (about £31) or get the hardcovers for a total of about £72. Such a saving but I feel like the art deserveso be seen on the bigger HC format.

What to do?

Also should I pick up anything else from the Rebirth sale?

TheFlow

Banned
I'm conflicted whether I should pick up the pretty much the entirety of Snyder's Batman run on the CMX sale (about £31) or get the hardcovers for a total of about £72. Such a saving but I feel like the art deserveso be seen on the bigger HC format.

What to do?

Also should I pick up anything else from the Rebirth sale?
Buy it all digital. The hc are not that big compared to floppies.

Or just buy Tmnt.

kmfdmpig

Watching young justice makes me wish for a new gods ongoing series

Speaking of Young Justice - I watched the show recently and loved it (maybe even more than Justice League).

Are any of the comics worth checking out, assuming that they are still available?

Top Bottom