• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Comics are a fairly poor value at either price. I would like for comics to go down in price, but unfortunately the creators like to eat.

Also do creators really benefit more from the price increase. I haven't studied comic book sales and ect. I would assume the extra dollar or two goes to the company.

Edit: read some good articles about the inflation of comics and ect.

5 dollar comics might actually become a standard within a couple years which is scary.

Don't smaller print numbers also affects sales? The market now is more pulverized and diverse. In the 90s the big 2 would publish like 20 books each one, and some of them were reaching sky rocketed sale numbers (ok, it was a boom that generated 1 million mark prints, but usually print numbers were high). Now Marvel and DC prints at least 50 books each one, dome bimonthly. Plus Vertigo, plus Dark Horse, plus the indies. Most books can sustain more than 30k monthly, and that sure affects their price.

TheFlow

Banned
Someone has to subsidize those of us Marvel Unlimited waiting. I don't mind being behind when this is such a good deal.

Image also doesn't have loads of ads in their comics. I don't understand how Marvel charges so much and then puts ads all over their books. Latest issue of Extraordinary has ads for Universal Studios, Magic Shaving Cream, Wynonna Erp, Munchkin, Overwatch, Geico, Hot wheels, and M&Ms. No letters page, which I wish more books still had. Floppies from Marvel don't have much incentive to buy over trades and MU. Not that DC is any better on this front, but they don't have a sub service.

Edit: Flow, share that article.
I am on mobile but I will definitely share when I get back on my pc

TheFlow

Banned
That looks super aligned with the TV show. Is that something new or did the TV show pull a lot of stuff from the older comics?

Or did the new52 version align with the TV show and these flashbacks are from pre-New52?
The flash TV show aligned with the comics, and now rebirth is taking a cue from the flash intro.

That is all

Really enjoyed DC Universe Rebirth. Will probably pick up everything but Superman, as that looks a bit too confusing for my tastes.

gabbo

Really enjoyed DC Universe Rebirth. Will probably pick up everything but Superman, as that looks a bit too confusing for my tastes.

I'm really curious about The Green Lantern and Flash stories myself, but I hate buying single issues. Not sure how I'll tackle this Rebirth storyline...

FWIW, I haven't read Superman since issue... #39 or so and I haven't finished Darkseid War yet and I had zero issues following it. The dialogue and narration throughout the issue really do tell you everything you need to know.

Mindwipe

That looks super aligned with the TV show. Is that something new or did the TV show pull a lot of stuff from the older comics?

Or did the new52 version align with the TV show and these flashbacks are from pre-New52?

The New52 version and the show were pretty close to each other really, and probably developed at about the same time.

shingi70

Banned
Watching young justice makes me wish for a new gods ongoing series

This would be a perfect time for one considering the state the fourth world must be in with darksied gone.

Finished all the rebirth week 1 books and if I had to rank them.

Green Arrow - 5/5
Green Lanterns - 3/5
Superman - 4/5
Batman - 4/5

TheFlow

Banned
This would be a perfect time for one considering the state the fourth world must be in with darksied gone.

Green Arrow - 5/5
Green Lanterns - 3/5
Superman - 4/5
Batman - 4/5
Your ratings are probably what I am leaning towards now.

Also whatsinanamr I want Hickman on legion of superheroes.

Sulik2

Whats the best way to get Rebirth stuff digitally on an iPad? I haven't read comics in a couple of years, but Rebirth is interesting me.

Green Arrow - 5/5
Green Lanterns - 3/5
Superman - 4/5
Batman - 4/5

I'm with your ratings on everything but Supes, was more like 3, maybe even a 2, for me just because it was used more as a catching up issue than anything else. It's fine I just didn't get the same tonal setting that I got fron the other 3.

shingi70

Banned
Your ratings are probably what I am leaning towards now.

Also whatsinanamr I want Hickman on legion of superheroes.

That said I enjoyed Green Lanterns more than Batman and maybe even superman. I gave it a lower score because that issue felt like it needed more pages. Plus Baz is super compelling and deserves a solo title.

diaspora

I'm actually sympathetic with Tony and Carol's concerns with using Ulysses' powers. I know most people including myself have been down on Tony for not being totally logical with his displeasure with it but re-reading Civil War 01 again he does make sense. Ulysses isn't predicting events, he's predicting possible events, things that don't end up happening because they've been stopped which raises the question of whether it would have necessarily happened at all.

edit: spoilers, but Tony isn't entirely wrong here.

edit 2: This was better done than I would have thought from the spoilers

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything was way too confusing

I'm actually sympathetic with Tony and Carol's concerns with using Ulysses' powers. I know most people including myself have been down on Tony for not being totally logical with his displeasure with it but re-reading Civil War 01 again he does make sense. Ulysses isn't predicting events, he's predicting possible events, things that don't end up happening because they've been stopped which raises the question of whether it would have necessarily happened at all.

edit: spoilers, but Tony isn't entirely wrong here.

edit 2: This was better done than I would have thought from the spoilers

I'm Team Tony

diaspora

Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Bebop & Rocksteady Destroy Everything was way too confusing

I'm Team Tony

I'm leaning to Tony right now, but it explains why Marvel was so keen on building up on Carol's position prior to Civil War #1. Wanting to use Ulysses' powers to help prevent disasters is a good idea but they're using it as gospel and running off half-cocked.

Hagi

Omega men is awesome, finished issue 3 and whoa that swerve. The princess is amazing, that fight scene was top tier comics. This is a good book.

I want a Kyle ongoing.

Owzers

Silver Surfer #15 was a decent conclusion to the pre-relaunch run but I still find the book a bit stiff despite Dawn trying to inject heart into it.

LOL at all the "Batman was a letdown" posts in the Rebirth thread. We're all ignorant plebs trying to push an agenda! The critics have already spoken and the book is fucking amazing!

Book was a mess. I'm voting Trump 2016 to Make Batman Great Again.

Owzers

LOL at all the "Batman was a letdown" posts in the Rebirth thread. We're all ignorant plebs trying to push an agenda!

Don't tell Trump about the Batman Inc. run, all those foreigner batpeople running around thanks to Obama's failed economic policies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
LOL at all the "Batman was a letdown" posts in the Rebirth thread. We're all ignorant plebs trying to push an agenda! The critics have already spoken and the book is fucking amazing!

Let. It. Go.

Ross61

That new Gotham hero in Batman seems to be doing an interesting troupe on the "brash younger hero that doesn't approve of the older established hero's methods." This could really be some powerful story telling if Tom King really brings it. Also like how this arc is just one of three that will lead up to one big finale. That kind of planning ahead is the kind of stuff I like to hear.

Don't tell Trump about the Batman Inc. run, all those foreigner batpeople running around thanks to Obama's failed economic policies.

That's a pretty good take. I have about 10 issues to go to finish the entire Morrison run, but it's lost some steam for me. Damn Frenchy Batman! I love the Argentine Batman, though. Tom King should leverage his CIA operator experience and write a story about Batman going undercover and mucking about during the Falklands War.

Let. It. Go.

I am one with the wind and sky.

We can't afford to have contrarian opinions in here, yo! Even if they prove to be...not so contrarian.

Messi

200w.gif

TheFlow

Banned

Nvm not worth

Top Bottom