• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Dalek

Unmasked Doom is the worst

vincent-cassel-4.jpg

Marvel_Now_5_flipped.jpg

frye

1) We Can Never Go Home didn't do it for me but I'm really liking 4 Kids Walk into a Bank

2) Jupiter's Legacy came back today and it looks a lot different from the first 5 issues... almost like it's being coloured over raw pencils or something

squadr0n

COMICGAF, I need some advice. I just read Sandman by Neil Gaiman and it was absolutely amazing and revealed to me just how great comics can be. Now I'm thinking of starting with superheroes, but have no idea where to start since the universes are so massive. Any recommendations on where I should start? I'm thinking of getting Marvels and the Dark Knight Returns to start.

Check out Remmender's Uncanny X-force, its a great stand alone story. Then if your looking for a good Avengers story check out Hickman's run on Avengers/Secret Avengers.

Keep your eyes out for a free month of Marvel Unlimited. Its a great way to check out Marvel's huge library.

ngower

One of us, one of us
If you haven't already, get Matthew Rosenberg's first Black Mask book, We Can Never Go Home, as well.

Stray bullets.

I've gotta track down issue #2 first! One of the shops in my area went out of business so the other one is basically sold out of everything all the time now. Will see if I can find the other Rosenberg book.

Also, no way in hell, there are a billion Stray Bullets! Unless I can get it through my library, then we'll talk.

I think I'll stick with Green Lantern books, Vision and continue exploring some indies though.

lazypants

It's freaking phenomenal.

Hey! Welcome to the world of comics! Looks like you started at the top and are working your way down to the bottom. If you really enjoyed Sandman, why not stay in universe for a bit? There's a whole world of spinoffs and supplementary material that I'm sure you would enjoy. I would absolutely go back and start Lucifer by Mike Carey like right now.

If you really want to dig into the whole world of superheroes, Start with Watchmen by Alan Moore? It seems like it would be right up your alley. Let that be your gateway into DC.

If you want a really cool self contained story, Justice by Jim Kreuger is incredible. It gives you a taste of all that JLA goodness.

Thanks! Lucifer was pretty interesting in Sandman so I'll think I'll check that out next.

TheFlow

Banned
I've gotta track down issue #2 first! One of the shops in my area went out of business so the other one is basically sold out of everything all the time now. Will see if I can find the other Rosenberg book.

Also, no way in hell, there are a billion Stray Bullets! Unless I can get it through my library, then we'll talk.

I think I'll stick with Green Lantern books, Vision and continue exploring some indies though.
Oh you one of them physical cats

Giant Days #1 - #4 was pretty cool. Bit of an abrupt start and the series seemed to be heading in a "lol random" direction but the characters and humour found their footing fairly quickly. Loved the art.

I read a majority of my comics on my desktop since that is how I started with manga.

That's pretty much me these days. My tablet is approaching the Old Yeller phase and I can't really justify a new one. Especially when I badly need a new phone and some other stuff as well.

It's not so bad. I have two monitors (both only 24 inch though) and my desk chair's my favourite chair anyway. Could be worse.

I have a 27 inch monitor, and comfortable chair that goes back. I read all of stray bullets in one sitting like that.

I like to read comics in bed.

Read most of today's books. Hillbilly and Black Panther were the standouts. The new Jupiter's Legacy series started out pretty well, too. Still have to read Mockingbird and East of West, but couldn't fight the urge to get back to Hellboy. Damn, The Third Wish was such a good story.

Ooo Gamora ongoing back on deck? Elektra maybe? Who's the kid in front of Prowler? Odinson but no Jane? Should we be worried about her?? Ditto for Cap Falc! Is that still Amadeus as Hulk?

Carol wins
??

TheFlow

Banned
Kate Bishop can definitely handle a solo series, but I rather see her join the other teen heroes like Miles and Khan.

edit:Elektra can also work an solo series, but the artist has to be legit.

Tomita

Hey GAF, how can you figure out the status of reprints for a comic issue?

Basically I was too late to the shop on release day to get Superman Lois and Clark 8 and ever since then online it's always out of stock or it's over 9 bucks which is bloody ridiculous. I feel like I'm shit out of luck thanks to scalpers because it was the last issue in the series. Someone bought the whole series out at my shop before I could come in the day it came out :/

All I can really find is that it got a second reprinting but from checking online shops it didn't seem to change anything. Is there some obvious resource with this kind of information that I don't know of?

My "local" comic book store is terrible when it came to custom ordering shit so the only other chance I can think to get it is to ask some other shop I don't regularly go to to order it, if that's even possible with this issue. I really liked the series and had 1-7 so it bums me out to never have 8 thanks to scalpers.

I wonder if Marvel will make their Marvel NOW books 2.99

It would certainly be interesting. They obviously have no incentive to do so with the books that are already dominating sales charts, but it sounds like those books might not be relaunching anyway. I would be more open to trying say a Prowler book if it was 2.99.

TheFlow

Banned
Hey GAF, how can you figure out the status of reprints for a comic issue?

Basically I was too late to the shop on release day to get Superman Lois and Clark 8 and ever since then online it's always out of stock or it's over 9 bucks which is bloody ridiculous. I feel like I'm shit out of luck thanks to scalpers because it was the last issue in the series. Someone bought the whole series out at my shop before I could come in the day it came out :/

All I can really find is that it got a second reprinting but from checking online shops it didn't seem to change anything. Is there some obvious resource with this kind of information that I don't know of?

My "local" comic book store is terrible when it came to custom ordering shit so the only other chance I can think to get it is to ask some other shop I don't regularly go to to order it, if that's even possible with this issue. I really liked the series and had 1-7 so it bums me out to never have 8 thanks to scalpers.
checked the usual places, and couldn't find any.

Call up some of the comic shops around and outside your city,

Top Bottom