• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, no. I've gone and fallen in love with Giant Days.

jpQmSZy.jpg

Iw3hUL6.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Paper Girls is getting insane in all the best ways. I'm so glad I went into this series completely blind.

Hagi

It bums me out I can't find Plague of Frogs volume 3 in Hardcover, I want the whole series like that. Hopefully they reprint them down the line.

I picked it up but haven't read it yet. It's Mignola so it's probably good at worst.

Hah I guess you are right. If only more writers instilled such confidence.

If people are going to use the MangaGAF method of reviewing, please follow Tizoc's method and spoiler tag anything that actually might be a spoiler. I've seen a bunch of (new) people use the MangaGAF review as a way to try and circumvent talking about week 1 spoilers and it's kinda shit.

Don't be kinda shit. Be fair.

Was it me? Did I not use spoiler tags liberally enough? If so I do sincerely apologize. I will endeavor to do better.

Owzers

With Hillary in jail and Trump as president, do you think Marvel will put Trump as president in their comic universe?

Boogiepop

Good lord, I know he's been mentioned before, but yeah, just read the Trick or Treat trade from the Carl Barks Library, and jesus Gladstone Gander is just the worst.

Like, there were two stories right next to one another that centered on him. In the first, Donald decides to join in a thing for charitably giving someone needy a Thanksgiving dinner. And since Gladstone is TECHNICALLY poor, Donald gets stuck with him, and tries to get out of it. The story ends with Gladstone having taken such advantage of the situation that he's gotten all sorts of luxuries on Donald's dime, driving him into the poorhouse.

And then in the second one he's just straight up awful, because it's about him and Donald competing for a position in a parade voted on by children. And Gladstone just straight up sabotages Donald by stealing the Easter eggs he was giving out and replacing them with ones covered with insults to the children, and... freaking pouring kerosene on the candy Donald was giving to the kids. And once more he gets out just fine, because he loses the election, but the thing turns out to be highly embarrassing anyway, so Donald is still the overall "loser."

He seriously has to be one of the most infuriating/hate-able characters ever written into a comic.

Good lord, I know he's been mentioned before, but yeah, just read the Trick or Treat trade from the Carl Barks Library, and jesus Gladstone Gander is just the worst.

Like, there were two stories right next to one another that centered on him. In the first, Donald decides to join in a thing for charitably giving someone needy a Thanksgiving dinner. And since Gladstone is TECHNICALLY poor, Donald gets stuck with him, and tries to get out of it. The story ends with Gladstone having taken such advantage of the situation that he's gotten all sorts of luxuries on Donald's dime, driving him into the poorhouse.

And then in the second one he's just straight up awful, because it's about him and Donald competing for a position in a parade voted on by children. And Gladstone just straight up sabotages Donald by stealing the Easter eggs he was giving out and replacing them with ones covered with insults to the children, and... freaking pouring kerosene on the candy Donald was giving to the kids. And once more he gets out just fine, because he loses the election, but the thing turns out to be highly embarrassing anyway, so Donald is still the overall "loser."

He seriously has to be one of the most infuriating/hate-able characters ever written into a comic.

I hate Gladstone. I am sure I am going to rage once I get to that.

diaspora

RE: Civil War 2

Another interesting thing that I forgot is that Ulysses'
mind is a closed book. If anyone wants to use his powers to stop future events essentially have to listen to his interpretation of what he saw and take that as truth.

Terrorblot

I just picked up 1-8 of Spider-Woman, I've never read her before (save for some ancient issues from Civ War era I didn't much care for), I hear it's real good?

I just picked up 1-8 of Spider-Woman, I've never read her before (save for some ancient issues from Civ War era I didn't much care for), I hear it's real good?

It is right up to the Spider-Women crossover which kinda sucks. Haven't read the new issue yet but hoping for a return to greatness.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
RE: Civil War 2

Another interesting thing that I forgot is that Ulysses'
mind is a closed book. If anyone wants to use his powers to stop future events essentially have to listen to his interpretation of what he saw and take that as truth.

I personally can see him becoming the villain

diaspora

FWIW, as far as Carol's actions are concerned, she was told that Thanos was going to get a cosmic cube right? But... PEGASUS Labs hadn't made one yet and was ordered to shut their experiments with ISO-8 down. Civil War 0 takes note of how the ISO-8 experiment looks like a cosmic cube but isn't one yet.
I don't honestly know if Rhodes and Jen would have died had the Ultimates sought the help of the Avengers first- they have a Thor ffs.

Hi ComicGAF, I'm just recently getting into comics. Currently reading Civil War on Marvel Unlimited.

I wanted to get some DC comics and was wondering where's the best place to pick up floppies? In the startup guide, they mention DCBS, however I don't see the new DC Universe Rebirth comics.

I do see that they have bundles, but the only ones I'm really interested in getting at the moment are DC Universe Rebirth #1 (this is a one shot, right?), Batman Rebirth, and Flash Rebirth. I don't see those individual issues.

Also what's with two new storylines being released (i.e. Batman Rebirth and Batman)? Are they two different storylines going on at once?

LFG

Neophyte
I'm considering going fully digital for my books. I've only purchased the five DC Rebirth books (just got into comics), but I can see myself collecting a ton of these and just have them sitting around collecting dust. Maybe go all digital and then grab the trades that I really like down the line. Anyone else do this or something similar?

Hi ComicGAF, I'm just recently getting into comics. Currently reading Civil War on Marvel Unlimited.

I wanted to get some DC comics and was wondering where's the best place to pick up floppies? In the startup guide, they mention DCBS, however I don't see the new DC Universe Rebirth comics.

I do see that they have bundles, but the only ones I'm really interested in getting at the moment are DC Universe Rebirth #1 (this is a one shot, right?), Batman Rebirth, and Flash Rebirth. I don't see those individual issues.

Also what's with two new storylines being released (i.e. Batman Rebirth and Batman)? Are they two different storylines going on at once?

DCBS lets you pre-order single issues for up to a certain date before release and then bundles up the delivery I believe. After release, the least expensive way to find single issue would be to walk into a physical store or buy a digital copy.

There are places like http://www.midtowncomics.com/ if you want to buy single issues online.

Think of Batman Rebirth and Flash Rebirth as previews for the main series. So the order would be {Batman Rebirth #1, Batman #1, Batman #2,} etc.

I'm considering going fully digital for my books. I've only purchased the five DC Rebirth books (just got into comics), but I can see myself collecting a ton of these and just have them sitting around collecting dust. Maybe go all digital and then grab the trades that I really like down the line. Anyone else do this or something similar?

Lots of readers on here have done that. Easier, sometimes cheaper and also the HD digital comics look a lot better than physical comics at times.

Yep. Switched to all digital a few months ago. It was costing me more to get physical books as I had to buy them online with no comic stores near me. It didn't help the store I used to buy them from seemed to disappear entirely and weren't fulfilling orders anymore.

So no ads, no storage space required and cheaper prices made it a no-brainer in the end.

fauxtrot

Banned
It bums me out I can't find Plague of Frogs volume 3 in Hardcover, I want the whole series like that. Hopefully they reprint them down the line.

My LCS may have it in stock and I get a deal there, so send me a PM if you're interested enough to have me check and potentially ship it out to you.

Paste magazine did a top 100 comic characters list.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/05/the-100-best-comic-book-characters.html

Maggie and Hopey >
Most of
Your faves.

Also, Looks like JLA #9 - #12 and the annual are cancelled.

http://www.newsarama.com/29586-dc-cancels-bryan-hitch-s-final-5-issues-of-new-52-justice-league.html
Ill never believe Hitch again. He said he already had 13 issues when the first came out. What the fuck is his issue. If youre late youre late. Its expected out of him but dont lie to your fans like that.

Hagi

My LCS may have it in stock and I get a deal there, so send me a PM if you're interested enough to have me check and potentially ship it out to you.

Thanks I'll give it a thought.

Is he referring to Neil Edwards there? He can do a decent Hitch impression I guess. Still, not the real thing! >:|

:(

Is it normal to pencil out of sequence? can't say I've heard of artists doing that before.

DCBS lets you pre-order single issues for up to a certain date before release and then bundles up the delivery I believe. After release, the least expensive way to find single issue would be to walk into a physical store or buy a digital copy.

There are places like http://www.midtowncomics.com/ if you want to buy single issues online.

Think of Batman Rebirth and Flash Rebirth as previews for the main series. So the order would be {Batman Rebirth #1, Batman #1, Batman #2,} etc.

Oh, so all Rebirth series are one shots (i.e. there won't be a Bathman Rebirth #2)?

Yes! Finished plague of frogs and loved it. Roger <3

So is BPRD continuing? And Hellboy continuing sometime in the future?
BPRD is in its second major arc, Hell on Earth, right now. I think it might be ending soon but I believe there's still another major arc left. I haven't read past Plague of Frogs so I'm not sure myself. But there's still Abe Sapien, Lobster Johnson, and Hellboy and The BPRD 1950s as well. So there's still universe stuff going on.

Mignola could definitely return to mainline Hellboy in the future but In Hell #10 was honestly such a beautiful and well executed conclusion that it could end there and be fine. It's a fitting conclusion to the character.

Oh, so all Rebirth series are one shots (i.e. there won't be a Bathman Rebirth #2)?

Yep.

Pretty soon I'll be taking credit for the Giant Days recommendations, and I haven't even read it.

I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed the chronology of that sequence of events.

Hagi, I'll give you my BPRD v3 for just one book in your collection. I think it will be a fair trade. (I think it is even the same physical dimensions as the BPRD volume).

All this Transformers talk is going to make me finally read all the books I picked up in that Humble Bundle deal.

Are any of these TMNT books work considering?

Is it normal to pencil out of sequence? can't say I've heard of artists doing that before.

Hmm I don't think its normal, but there probably aren't many logistical problems in doing so as long as the scripts have been set and aren't gonna change. I can't think of many plausible instances where it would be necessary to work out of order like that. Maybe if you were still finishing some pages on an issue but the publisher wanted a few pages of the next issue done so they can put out a preview.

Top Bottom