• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

TheFlow

Banned
All this Transformers talk is going to make me finally read all the books I picked up in that Humble Bundle deal.

Are any of these TMNT books work considering?
Tmnt 1-55

Tmnt: history of the foot clan

Tmnt: turtles in time

Tmnt ultron empire if you grew up with the 2005 series

Owzers

I started my dcbs reading with Batman Rebirth, i dunno, i feel like i got nothing out of it, just a book that had batman in it doing regular batman things. I guess that's why it's called Batman. How's this exactly a "rebirth" when it feels so standard?

BlizzKrut

Banned
So yeah guess I'm taking your advice and going digital with a side for trades I really like, which website is the best (and the cheapest one)?

I live in Europe by the way, and prefer websites you can pay with Paysafecard.

Ross61

I started my dcbs reading with Batman Rebirth, i dunno, i feel like i got nothing out of it, just a book that had batman in it doing regular batman things. I guess that's why it's called Batman. How's this exactly a "rebirth" when it feels so standard?

It's just a intro, getting the issue of introducing Duke and his new persona out the way. Next issue the arc starts.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So yeah guess I'm taking your advice and going digital with a side for trades I really like, which website is the best (and the cheapest one)?

I live in Europe by the way, and prefer websites you can pay with Paysafecard.

Comixology but you cant use Paysafe Cards

I know uc4 was a slogging snoozefest but geez it took you that long?

giphy.gif

fauxtrot

Banned
Uncharted 4 was no Uncharted 2, but it was still the second best game in the series. Not that it had all that much competition from 1 or 3...

It was a solid 4/5 (I heard we're doing that now here) that had pacing issues... but it wasn't trash by any means.

Haha, I wasn't wishing anything, just inquiring what the reading order would be.

Regardless, I thought Scott Snyder was regarded as a good Batman author?

Eh, every run is going to have it's fans and its detractors. I can't think of too many runs that I have heard nothing negative about. But yeah, the Snyder/Capullo run is usually very well regarded.

Hagi

Uncharted 4 was no Uncharted 2, but it was still the second best game in the series. Not that it had all that much competition from 1 or 3...

It was a solid 4/5 (I heard we're doing that now here) that had pacing issues... but it wasn't trash by any means.

Took me a year to finish 2, has the worst final boss of any game I've ever played. I like 1 and 3 a lot better. The new game is the queue behind Witcher 3.

Haha, I wasn't wishing anything, just inquiring what the reading order would be.

Snyders run is great. I'm probably in the minority but I like it more than Morrisons.

I know uc4 was a slogging snoozefest but geez it took you that long?

I liked it. Mostly for the story. As soon as I finished it I uninstalled it. Really had no more interest beyond that. But it was fun.

Agreed.

Tmnt 1-55

I've been reading the idw hc collections and love them. They roll the minis into the reading order.

Haven't heard of this turtles in time. Would i expect that to be in one of those collections at some point?

I know i want to keep getting them, and don't want to double dip.

Probably going to take 3 years to catch up to current at this rate though.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, if you haven't already, everyone should check out Giant Days. Great stuff there. :D

Bought the first trade yesterday, bought the second this morning. So dang good.

It's books like this that you need to give to people who say that comics are all tights and capes. (Though Esther does seem to own a lot of tights).

I agree it's a pointless one-off, and doesn't get me even remotely hyped for the new King Batman. No fucking clue what DC was doing here, other than treading water for a month.

/itsfuckingnothing.gif

I am absolutely LOVING Snyder's run on Batman. I think it's very, very good. Top notch art, too. I was just pointing out that the Rebirth book is bad and I don't want to see more stuff like that from either King or Snyder going forward.

Messi

Can someone with an iPad pro take a pic of what two full size pages look like side by side. Pls and thank you

Sunstone where possible :p

I still need to do a write-up on Sunstone.

Green Arrow: Rebirth Well I'm afraid I must disagree with the general consensus on this book. I liked it a lot less than Batman Rebirth. The art was good, not out of this world but serviceable. I also appreciate having a DC character in a real world setting, however
they made the Jungle look like some kind of magical fantasyland which I didn't think was a good choice given the themes expressed in the book. The Jungle is a real place and it's a legitimately depressing, awful collection of tents and burrows some people get stuck in. There are no treehouses in the jungle that I'm aware of.
Also, the continuity confused me...a lot.
So...they aren't getting their memories of pre-52 back? I thought the whole point of this was to bring back pre-52 continuity but that wasn't the case here at all. Black Canary and Green Arrow barely know each other.
Also much like Batman it's just a one-off to give you a chance to try out the creative team, I just don't see what the point of that is. Get me into the story you are going to be telling. This book failed to achieve that.
The whole "defender of the helpless" thing was hit on too hard here. Way too on-the-nose.
I won't be picking up Green Arrow.

Maybe the Rebirth books aren't for me. I still need to read Superman and I am going to pick up a couple next week but if nothing grabs me I will be waiting for the actual series to start.

International Iron Man #3 Yeah I'm dropping this. I don't have much to say about it. I guess this is a cool book for people who
are interested in learning about Tony Stark's history and parentage
, but I am not one of those people. I don't think it's an interesting mystery at all. One Iron Man book is enough for me I suppose.

Oh noes, the most unnecessary Tony Stark story get a continuation?
I hoped it was retconned to hell after Secret War

Yeah that's pretty much all the book is about. In fairness it's only three issues in but I don't see that story going anywhere. It's the whole thrust of the book.

Hagi

Yeah that's pretty much all the book is about. In fairness it's only three issues in but I don't see that story going anywhere. It's the whole thrust of the book.

I read some of the last run that dealt with that stuff and it was garbage. I'm not opposed to changing a characters back story but for me this was needless and has dragged on way too long to be interesting.

I read some of the last run that dealt with that stuff and it was garbage. I'm not opposed to changing a characters back story but for me this was needless and has dragged on way too long to be interesting.

I have to wonder why Marvel keeps pushing it. Did anybody like that story? I heard nothing but bad things about those issues. What is the point? Just drop it already.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have to wonder why Marvel keeps pushing it. Did anybody like that story? I heard nothing but bad things about those issues. What is the point? Just drop it already.
It differs Comic Tony from Movie Tony and despite thr usual Internet shittalk, this was one of the biggest points of ANAD.

Hagi

I assume Bendis thinks it's an interesting take on it but I dunno. They created a mystery that is going to have little payoff. You solve that shit in 4 months not 4 years.

Incoming NSFW picture and ban.

I won't be picking up Green Arrow.

Sorry to hear it didn't click for you. That's literally the only "must buy" for me from DC right now. Everything else Rebirth has been pretty meh so far.

Tmnt 1-55

Missed this. I'm an 80s baby, so no clue about the 2005 series. The older stuff looks pretty damn interesting, though. Going to see what kind of damage it would be on Comixology.

Messi

Incoming NSFW picture and ban.

Sorry to hear it didn't click for you. That's literally the only "must buy" for me from DC right now. Everything else Rebirth has been pretty meh so far.

Missed this. I'm an 80s baby, so no clue about the 2005 series. The older stuff looks pretty damn interesting, though. Going to see what kind of damage it would be on Comixology.

Large portions of Sunstone are cuddles and clothes

Meh, no worries. There won't be a universally-admired Rebirth book, I think, at least not until we get into the actual series. Then there's a chance. I don't mind being The One Guy Who Didn't Like Green Arrow.

Can someone with an iPad pro take a pic of what two full size pages look like side by side. Pls and thank you

I took some last year. They were mostly Sandman and JH Williams III splash page city. And comparing IPad Air2 to IPad Pro. It was kind of hard to capture the scale

dxIAGEq.jpg

mNe8lPW.jpg

Opd4Bo8.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I took some last year. They were mostly Sandman and JH Williams III splash page city. And comparing IPad Air2 to IPad Pro. It was kind of hard to capture the scale

dxIAGEq.jpg

mNe8lPW.jpg

Opd4Bo8.jpg

Shit. Two page reading looks miles better than on my 10" android tablet

:(

TheFlow

Banned
Bill- turtles in time is one of the newer spin offs but it has some good stuff in it. It is not necessary reading. I don't think it will be collected in the hc

Echo shifting- your dissapoint in green arrow makes me legit sad. Great issue :/

Tragiccomedy- the 2011 idw turtles delivers fan service to everybody. Purple dragons, the foot, and every other obscure villain/character is in this joint.

Giant days fan club- are we going to tak about how crazy it is for daisy to have a baby bird in her pocket? Oh and team Esther all the way even though she is nothing but trouble.

Tragiccomedy- the 2011 idw turtles delivers fan service to everybody. Purple dragons, the foot, and every other obscure villain/character is in this joint.

I have all 14 volumes sitting in my cart, and looking over the other stuff. The micro-series are whatever, right? I don't see myself buying them, but don't know how essential they are.

Top Bottom