• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

TheFlow

Banned
I have all 14 volumes sitting in my cart, and looking over the other stuff. The micro-series are whatever, right? I don't see myself buying them, but don't know how essential they are.
Not essential unless you wanna know what happens behind the scenes and between issues of the story. I was able to read the main story without the soinoffs just fine

For instance in the first micro series Raphael encounters a foe for the first time who later becomes a threat
friendemy
of the turtles in later chapters.

Shit. Two page reading looks miles better than on my 10" android tablet

:(
Yea it's price is crazy. But going splash page without having to go to guided view was a game changer. And reading portrait makes all digital purchases oversized editions. Killed any interest in print comics (outside Library editions) and I don't think I could go back to normal tablet reading ever again

I found TMNT truly annoying without the micros and minis. I started over and read everything in order. They reference that stuff constantly and I hate feeling like I'm missing out on part of the story. Once is fine, but they come up all the time.

Owzers

Almost finished off the second part of the Squirrel Duck crossover, definitely didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of it, i think i don't like things.

I found TMNT truly annoying without the micros and minis. I started over and read everything in order. They reference that stuff constantly and I hate feeling like I'm missing out on part of the story. Once is fine, but they come up all the time.

You just cost me $94.32, bud! Hope you're proud of yourself.

frye

yeah, i only read a bit but those microseries issues are basically regular issues

Messi

I took some last year. They were mostly Sandman and JH Williams III splash page city. And comparing IPad Air2 to IPad Pro. It was kind of hard to capture the scale

dxIAGEq.jpg

mNe8lPW.jpg

Opd4Bo8.jpg

Thank you. Look at all that sub par art.

TheFlow

Banned
yeah, i only read a bit but those microseries issues are basically regular issues
I only get the ones that interest me.

It is kinda like a hellboy and brpd situation. You can read all of hellboy 1-12 and be just fine but if you want the whole story you gotta check out brpd and ect

Almost finished off the second part of the Squirrel Duck crossover, definitely didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of it, i think i don't like things.

I kind of agree. I actually thought the first part with North and Henderson was funny with a nice callback to the first volume with
Kraven the Hunter
. The 2nd part with Zdarsky was...okay. That last part was really overwritten, which happens a little too often in Howard the Duck.

I read Squirrel Girl with my daughter, so I read out loud and act out some of it. It's a riot for both of us. If you're not enjoying yourself, find yourself an 8 year old girl and give it a try.

I have all 14 volumes sitting in my cart, and looking over the other stuff. The micro-series are whatever, right? I don't see myself buying them, but don't know how essential they are.

The micro-series are peppered into the hardcover collections in proper reading order, which is the only way I've read it.

I honestly found myself shocked at how much cool/important stuff someone not reading the micros would miss.

What TMNT are you lot talking about? The current IDW run?

Yep

The micro-series are peppered into the hardcover collections in proper reading order, which is the only way I've read it.

I honestly found myself shocked at how much cool/important stuff someone not reading the micros would miss.

Imho it's becoming a barrier to entry, now that the main series itself is pretty hefty. I have trouble recommending the book to people because the micro/mini order is so convoluted.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yep

Imho it's becoming a barrier to entry, now that the main series itself is pretty hefty. I have trouble recommending the book to people because the micro/mini order is so convoluted.

I loved the first arc. Have the rest of that and MTMTE to read after I finish Hellboy

Reading Squirrel Girl out loud sounds like a lot of fun. I might try that. My daughter (9 y/o) reads some stuff by herself but mostly My Little Pony. She read and enjoyed Squirrel Girl but checked out when it relaunched. I'd love to read that together with her.

I kind of agree. I actually thought the first part with North and Henderson was funny with a nice callback to the first volume with
Kraven the Hunter
. The 2nd part with Zdarsky was...okay. That last part was really overwritten, which happens a little too often in Howard the Duck.

I read Squirrel Girl with my daughter, so I read out loud and act out some of it. It's a riot for both of us. If you're not enjoying yourself, find yourself an 8 year old girl and give it a try.
That's how I felt too. Love Squirrel Girl but Howard just doesn't do it for me the same way. It was fine but definitely not on the same level.

I picked up this issue for the crossover with SG and I don't really regret dropping it months ago.

Messi

that sucks I'll buy the first two trades when I get paid at the end of the month then

Really hope you enjoy it. Most people I recommend it to adore it. Just wonderful characters all around.

The volumes get bigger as you go on BTW and they are still $15. Sejic ain't a great businessman all heart.

TheFlow

Banned

This is kinda stuff that makes me wanna read some of the recent micros but I am enjoying the story enough that I will be fine.

Edit: because of the sale I would definitely tell someone to pick up the micros though.

Tmnt rarely goes on sale.

Owzers

Hype for Black Monday Murders #1 by Hickman and Coker? Is this going to be one of those "you never hear from it again" books?

TheFlow

Banned
I thought it was at its best when they were pushing that whole Religion of Crime angle. Then vampires and outer space happened.
Yep, I noped it real quick. Same way I I noped out of red hood and the outlaws when they went to space.
the spreads were GOAT
tumblr_mxbm5nCkGv1rom810o7_1280.jpg

Edit: fuck you guys, I caved into peer pressure and decided to buy all the micros I was missing. sigh now I feel like I gotta re read the whole series again.

Owzers

Reading bad comics reminds me of watching Heroes.

I was thinking about this, the highs and lows of reading comics, where i read twenty issues of Rachel Rising in a row or watch a whole season of Game of Thrones during a free hbo weekend yet it took me a couple hours to read through one issue of the Squirrel Girl crossover because it was so dull and was trying to think of the fitting tv show that was a struggle to even sit through and eventually gave up and that would be Heroes' new season. I want to give up on bad comics faster but with pre-ordering it's tough and i amass a small handful of things that completely rain on my comic reading fun. Karnak #3 and 4 sitting in my comic stack...

Owzers

Did you watch the new season? They tried to go x men but it got to messy for their own good.

I tried to give it another shot as i don't watch many tv shows and it was abandoned after three or four episodes. I didn't even give The Strain season two a try, season one was just so bad-comics-y. I'm starting to think the new Suicide Squad is not going to be worth it, especially after Batman Rebirth i have no confidence in the Rebirth issue not being a complete waste of time.

TheFlow

Banned
Just read the Aqua man and detective previews. Damn the art is good.

Detective looks like it is going to be a more fun read than batman

Sandfox

That's something to keep an eye on, as is the news from last week that coming after "Civil War II" is another Marvel NOW! publishing initiative -- presumably new series, relaunches, that kind of thing. People are curious about Marvel going back to that name, as most still remember Marvel NOW! from 2012. What motivating revisiting that name once again?

Alonso: We just think it resonates -- especially with the distressed logo treatment that adds food for thought. "Civil War II" will create launch pad for new characters to emerge, old characters to step into the spotlight, new teams to form, and for characters to rise to new heights and fall to new depths. [The original] "Civil War" ended with huge ramifications for its key players -- Cap and Iron Man. You're going to see the same here.
The bolded seem to be what people really want so hopefully they nail it.
Just read the Aqua man and detective previews. Damn the art is good.

Detective looks like it is going to be a more fun read than batman

The premise for Detective sounds better than the premise for Batman IMO.

TheFlow

Banned
I tried to give it another shot as i don't watch many tv shows and it was abandoned after three or four episodes. I didn't even give The Strain season two a try, season one was just so bad-comics-y. I'm starting to think the new Suicide Squad is not going to be worth it, especially after Batman Rebirth i have no confidence in the Rebirth issue not being a complete waste of time.
I liked the first season but after that I just watched because I hated my life lol.

Sandfox-yea detectives has a way more interesting premise

Top Bottom