• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

VanWinkle

So I just spent over two hours finishing the last few hundred pages of Planetary Omnibus. It made so much more sense to me this time, and it MIGHT now be my favorite comic story I've read. Mindblowingly good.

About DC vs Marvel. I love them both, but I simply am much more emotionally invested in DC's characters and legacy. I don't think they're better. I just like them more. I'm a big Marvel fan, too, and have a lot of Marvel books. I just can't get invested because I don't want to start getting into their multitudes of events and crossovers. So I read and enjoy their stuff that is, for the most part, standalone.

I will say, though, that I won't take anybody's opinion on this subject seriously who says that one side's or the other's characters are crap or they love one but can't stand the characters from the other or whatever.

Does anyone know how to permanently delete comics on your Marvel account?

Now that I have Marvel Unlimited there's no reason for me to have all of these single issues mucking up my library. (I redeemed these all for free a long time ago)

bF1yIq4.png

Is archiving them the best bet?

Also, when you buy Marvel comics on Comixology do they sync back with your Marvel library? I believe it works the other way around too, right?

I've enjoyed a lot more newer Marvel stuff than DC (New 52 vs Marvel Now etc) but nothing from recent DC/Marvel has even come close to the peaks of 80s and 90s Vertigo for me.

Just going by shelf space taken up by books I own, it will be

Vertigo > DC > Dark Horse > Fantagraphics > Marvel

Owzers

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie is kinda blah with potential to not be blah. I didn't read the original book and assume it also had zombies.

Boogiepop

People already fortunately have the recommendation towards IDW TMNT covered, along with the fact that the micro/side/etc series DO matter and are great (it really is kind of like the book has been effectively double shipping, to be honest, which is fine by me since the quality is absolutely there to support it). But yeah, TMNT/Ghostbusters, while fun, is totally skippable.

Did want to add, though, since the stuff is also on sale: It's NOT for everyone, but if you're interested in the older stuff, what you want is the first 5 Ultimate Collections (the 6th was bits and pieces they scraped together later, so you don't really need it), and the first two volumes of Tales of the TMNT (which was essentially a side series to the original and contains some good stuff. The volumes afterwards are actually something completely different, to add to the confusion). Like I said, not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it's some solid old-school indie goodness, and that's definitely the stuff actually worth considering, as outside of those you get a good bit of dicey stuff.

But yeah, if you haven't read it, IDW Turtles is definitely the one to get and is amazing. I get the confusion since it's not ideal, but it's worth going through the whole thing, miniseries and all, as it's great stuff. Oh, and just in case the books make you think otherwise as I think they DO get a tiny "see *" note somewhere, the annuals are totally skippable for IDW Turtles. They're essentially old-style Turtles stories (in terms of both art and writing) that are technically part of the IDW continuity, but not in any significant manner whatsoever.

TheFlow

Banned
This is so weird. I was just watching pride and prejudice + zombies.

2/5.

Super average, with a couple of cool zombie shots. Felt very budgeted.

So why does the digital version of the Saga Omnibus cost more then the TPBs it covers (Vol.1, Vol.2, and Vol.3)

The Omnibus is $40 and the 3 TPBs are $30. Am I missing something?

Oh nice! Just discovered that Amazon has cheaper prices for Kindle/Comixology TPBs then Comixology itself. Just picked up Saga Vol. 1 for $6.15, whereas it's $7.99 on Comixology, which isn't much however there's a $4 price difference going onwards (i.e. Vol. 2, Vol. 3, etc.)

I'll probably pick up digital TPBs from Amazon from here on out.

Wrapping up the first episode of Outcast. Some thoughts.

- This isn't my favorite Kirkman series but it's one that keeps me interested enough. And the comic has this vibe that is different then most books I've read. Even other horror type books. And the show really nailed that same exact tone. The damn thing is unsettling
- Kirkman has gotten much better at TV adaptions than the early Walking dead episodes
- Great casting. Especially the two leads. Really seems like the characters from the book.
- There's only a handful of issues to draw from unlike the Walking dead or complete series like Preacher. So in some ways they'll just go off and do their own thing pretty early on. Which might not be a bad thing.
- So I'm in for the rest of the series. Good good stuff so far.

Here's the pilot episode
https://youtu.be/IBRe2ITyMxw

Sandfox

ANAD Avengers #10:
This was probably my favorite issue so far.
I like how the team is on mission facing a big threat and every panel with the new Wasp is good. Her short interation with Janet was pretty cool.

Green Arrow Rebirth:
I liked the book, especially the art, but I didn't see the hype people have been giving it.

ASM #13:
I don't like the Iron Man and Spider-Man interactions all too much, but I like what's going on with Regent. It was pretty funny how everyone just figured out the dude's identity.

Moon Knight #3:
This book is is messing with my mind in a good way. I never got the Moon Knight love before, but now I get it lol.

Superman Rebirth:
I thought this was surprising interesting, and I'm curious to see what the ongoing is like because I doubt it will be like this one stuff actually starts happening.

Now to catch up on some books I've been letting gather dust.

Owzers

This is so weird. I was just watching pride and prejudice + zombies.

2/5.

Super average, with a couple of cool zombie shots. Felt very budgeted.

I liked it more than Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter or whatever that was, but that's a low bar. If it would have skewed a little more into the zombie side i'd give it a higher rating, but i never get the movie i want it seems.

TheFlow

Banned
I liked it more than Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter or whatever that was, but that's a low bar. If it would have skewed a little more into the zombie side i'd give it a higher rating, but i never get the movie i want it seems.

I am the opposite. I liked vampire hunter more, and was actually expecting that type of action.

Yousefb

I just realized that there's a sale on the IDW TMNT collections up on Comixology. I've always heard great things regarding this series and have been meaning to buy the Ultimate Collection at some point. But this deal here is too good to pass up I think. Should I start from the beginning or is there a particular volume or arc that's worth jumping into? There's a lot of volumes so there's no way I'm getting them all.

TheFlow

Banned
I just realized that there's a sale on the IDW TMNT collections up on Comixology. I've always heard great things regarding this series and have been meaning to buy the Ultimate Collection at some point. But this deal here is too good to pass up I think. Should I start from the beginning or is there a particular volume or arc that's worth jumping into? There's a lot of volumes so there's no way I'm getting them all.

this is something you want to start from the beginning.

use this to help you out.
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/IDW_Chronology

Get the current IDW stuff. The micro-series is nice to flesh out stuff but it's not required to enjoy.

VanWinkle

Finally reading this:

XlQ3GhR.jpg

Already feel like I'm going to love it. I can tell that Moore is a fantastic writer just from the ~20 or so pages I've read so far.

The art is incredible, too. Like, for some reason I was surprised just how good it was.

aejXQgW.jpg

Yousefb

this is something you want to start from the beginning.

use this to help you out.
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/IDW_Chronology

Get the current IDW stuff. The micro-series is nice to flesh out stuff but it's not required to enjoy.

What do you guys think it's better. Start on comixology or just get the hardcover collection? I just went back in the thread and saw that the minis are part of the HC.

I searched on amazon I'm assuming this is the one correct?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631401114/?tag=neogaf0e-20

TheFlow

Banned
What do you guys think it's better. Start on comixology or just get the hardcover collection? I just went back in the thread and saw that the minis are part of the HC.

I searched on amazon I'm assuming this is the one correct?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1631401114/?tag=neogaf0e-20

BRUH/GURL you could get the first half of the entire series plus micros for that same price. .

The first volume is 4 dollars and doesn't require any spinoffs to understand. Read that and if you like it pick up the first mirco volume which is 4 dollars and the second main volume.

So pick up this instead for 32 dollars.

TMNT volume 1 change is constant
TMNT micro series volume 1
TMNT volume 2 Enemies Old, Enemies New
TMNT micro series volume 2
TMNT volume 3 Shadows of the Past
TMNT volume 4 Sins of the Fathers
TMNT volume 5 Blood brothers

If you buy the first hc you only get
TMNT vol 1-3 and the first micro series

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thought you were done with Overwatch Freeza? :3

Just a joke don't get mad bro

Yousefb

BRUH/GURL you could get the first half of the entire series plus micros for that same price. .

The first volume is 4 dollars and doesn't require any spinoffs to understand. Read that and if you like it pick up the first mirco volume which is 4 dollars and the second main volume.
True true, all good points. I'm just a sucker for nice new shiny hardcovers :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just felt the urge to play. I'm torn between that and the Witcher 3 DLC. The quests take so long and it's easier to just play OW.

I JUST said thursday "starting to feel burnt out, good thing the Marvel Heroes anniversary event starts friday so I can take a break from OW"

Friday rolls in, I log on MH, 5 minues later "yeah...no. I wanna play dat OW" >_>

So I feel you

TheFlow

Banned
True true, all good points. I'm just a sucker for nice new shiny hardcovers :p

So pick up this instead for 32 dollars. CMX doesn't do tmnt sales often, but digital or physical you can't go wrong

Yousefb

So pick up this instead for 32 dollars. CMX doesn't do tmnt sales often, but digital or physical you can't go wrong

Cheers dude/dudette

Rhaknar

There was no space panda in Venom #1 and that made me sad :(

Top Bottom