• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

TheFlow

Banned
image.php
Lol my avy should prove how unserious I was :p

Yah quick on the trigger

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Started a re-read of BPRD: Hell on Earth to get me caught up on the new volumes a bought.

Why don't more people talk about Hell on Earth? It's so fucking gooood.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't really get choosing one company over the other. It's not like you're locked in like a videogame console or a smartphone or something. The two of them aren't that different considering how many creators go between the two of them. It's just so silly to me.

I do think pre-2000s DC Comics are much more interesting than pre-2000s Marvel Comics for the most part, but modern times they're not that different.
This is what I was getting at. I find them more or so the same. Same water different labels XD

Edit: low hanging fruit? Lol never heard that one

I don't pick a side. It's pointless. I just read what appeals to me. I pull stuff from every mid to large non Valiant company.

I'm not talking about fanboy shit or anything like that. I think everyone is bound to prefer one or the other just in terms of the characters that he/she likes more.

Started a re-read of BPRD: Hell on Earth to get me caught up on the new volumes a bought.

Why don't more people talk about Hell on Earth? It's so fucking gooood.

I haven't started it yet, but I'm dying too. I want to wait for the big collections whenever they decide to start making them but I may just start buying the trades because I know I'll love it.

Hagi

What is it that drives people to prefer DC or Marvel? Is it the stories or the characters? Overall, I think Marvel has a much more attractive (not physically, just in terms of appeal) cast of characters than DC. It's only in recent years that I started reading a good number of DC books, too. The old canon was so convoluted that it seemed pretty impenetrable to an outsider.

Growing up in the nineties molded me into the Marvel fan I am today. Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Hulk and even Fantastic Four I loved all those cartoons as a child. Watching Batman TAS just made me a Batman fan.

First comics I ever bought (and still have) was X-men, my dad would get a subscription fpr me and it was always a highlight going to the shop to pick them up. I would've been around 8 or 9 I think. I remember they had a Gen X backup and came with those awesome trading cards that had the X-men at the beach or something lol Even now I still love the X-men.

TheFlow

Banned
I haven't started it yet, but I'm dying too. I want to wait for the big collections whenever they decide to start making them but I may just start buying the trades because I know I'll love it.
Waiting for the hc.

I mentioned this last thread but I hope Abe gets his hc too. There are enough issues to warrant At least 3 books

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Growing up in the nineties molded me into the Marvel fan I am today. Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Hulk and even Fantastic Four I loved all those cartoons as a child. Watching Batman TAS just made me a Batman fan.

First comics I ever bought (and still have) was X-men, my dad would get a subscription fpr me and it was always a highlight going to the shop to pick them up. I would've been around 8 or 9 I think. I remember they had a Gen X backup and came with those awesome trading cards that had the X-men at the beach or something lol Even now I still love the X-men.

This pretty much goes for me too.

Plus I just can't stand any of DC's mainline of heroes other than Batman. And even Batman I've never been able to get into in comic form.

What is it that drives people to prefer DC or Marvel? Is it the stories or the characters? Overall, I think Marvel has a much more attractive (not physically, just in terms of appeal) cast of characters than DC. It's only in recent years that I started reading a good number of DC books, too. The old canon was so convoluted that it seemed pretty impenetrable to an outsider.

Its a bit of both. I think Marvel's characters and their world are more interesting on average, and their stories are, too. Like they cool in JLA, but I honestly couldn't give two shits about Green Lantern and his green magic ring, or Barry Allen Flash doing boring science lab coat shit with his supporting cast nobody remembers, or whatever the hell Superboy is supposed to be, dont know who Wonder Woman even is, Legion of Superheroes just corny as hell. All the interesting runs of DC are at the fringes where they damn near Marvel characters anyway, like Hitman, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, or Suicide Squad. You couldn't pay me to read a goddamn Teen Titans comic, b. Like are you for real with this pack of kid jobbers? At least Bill Sienwiciz drew New Mutants at one point, b.

It's the connections to the characters and world, for me. I got nothing against Marvel, they just don't appeal to me on the same level DC does. Probably something to do with the stories I was exposed to as a kid. I'm just out-and-out more interested in DC characters, so I'll keep with it even through a lackluster story.

After that, it's mostly fanboyism.

Hagi

This pretty much goes for me too.

Plus I just can't stand any of DC's mainline of heroes other than Batman. And even Batman I've never been able to get into in comic form.

I was way into Green Lantern during Johns run until around Blackest Night then I dropped off hard. I was more into DC pre new 52, never really got that same traction since the reboot.

What about DC Universe Rebirth? I saw on the first page it says to read Justice League #50 and something else first.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to read all of Darkseid War...which is a pretty fun story with no mandatory tie ins. It's just kinda longer than it needs to be. There are some plot points that show up in both JL 50 and Rebirth but they're basically repeated rather than tied together. If you don't want to read it just read these spoilers:
Batman sat in the Mobius chair for awhile and asked the chair what the true identity of the Joker is. He was stunned by the answer. It's addressed in Rebirth. Wonder Woman finds out she has a twin brother. A new Green Lantern is born.

Superman 52 is a larger part of Rebirth but don't read that, it's not good. Here's the only spoiler you need:
nu52 Superman dies.

Sandfox

I read more Marvel because they tend to have more heroes and books that check the box for me. There are certain DC titles I like that I feel are similar to that style.

Damn my jab got everyone picking sides o_O.

Least yah marvel bois know DC animation> marvel animation

True but that's pretty much the only place DC's wider cast really shines for me. I have so much trouble getting into their books. I do try to be fair and give them a shot when a new team or a relaunch happens. I pulled a ton of nu52 #1s (almost all of them) and I'm sure I'll check out a bunch of the new Rebirth titles. If it's anything like last time, though, I'll be down to 2-4 books within a year.

I really do wish their characters were half as appealing in their books as they are in their animated shows. Maybe Johns is right, maybe a little more lightheartedness, playfulness, and humanity is what these characters need. I hope they get it.

Hey those Dark Knight Returns films were great, the rest of their direct to dvd films are crap though. Actually I really liked Gods and Monsters.

Man, I tried to watch DKR and I didn't last ten minutes. Heartbreaking how far the animation quality has fallen with the movies. I try to forget any of them exist.

I will be rewatching B:TAS, S:TAS, BB, JL, JLU and YJ until the end of time though

Teen Titans Go is a fun watch with the kid, too. Forgettable, but fun.

And those DC Nation shorts were terrific. I wish they'd collect those so I could buy them.

TheFlow

Banned
True but that's pretty much the only place DC's wider cast really shines for me. I have so much trouble getting into their books. I do try to be fair and give them a shot when a new team or a relaunch happens. I pulled a ton of nu52 #1s (almost all of them) and I'm sure I'll check out a bunch of the new Rebirth titles. If it's anything like last time, though, I'll be down to 2-4 books within a year.

I really do wish their characters were half as appealing in their books as they are in their animated shows. Maybe Johns is right, maybe a little more lightheartedness, playfulness, and humanity is what these characters need. I hope they get it.
This we can agree on. I wish I could like the book characters as much as I like them animated.

Green arrow rebirth was an approach in the right direction.

Hagi

Man, I tried to watch DKR and I didn't last ten minutes. Heartbreaking how far the animation quality has fallen with the movies. I try to forget any of them exist.

I will be rewatching B:TAS, S:TAS, BB, JL, JLU and YJ until the end of time though

Teen Titans Go is a fun watch with the kid, too. Forgettable, but fun.

And those DC Nation shorts were terrific. I wish they'd collect those so I could buy them.

It didn't really bother me but yeah you just have to look at The Killing Joke to see the level of quality in those films now. Really bad CG backgrounds seem to be a staple.

BTAS and Beyond will forever be the best for me.

It didn't really bother me but yeah you just have to look at The Killing Joke to see the level of quality in those films now. Really bad CG backgrounds seem to be a staple.

BTAS and Beyond will forever be the best for me.

Beyond is kinda up and down but by and large it's really good. There are a handful of episodes I just adore. And Return of the Joker is one of the best things in the DCAU bar none.

tim1138

With stuff like this I think it usually ends up being whichever brand you were exposed to first. When I first got into comics as a kid many moons ago, I pretty much tried out anything that looked interesting and really didn't care who published it. I gravitate a little more towards DC stuff, but I still read whatever looks interesting to me, regardless of who publishes it. Heck I've even bought Valiant books!

Hagi

Beyond is kinda up and down but by and large it's really good. There are a handful of episodes I just adore. And Return of the Joker is one of the best things in the DCAU bar none.

I really loved how stylish it was, how it tied into TAS and man that suit is just an unbelievably cool design. Can't believe how bad Terry's new suit for Rebirth is in comparison. I'd buy a blu ray of Beyond in a heartbeat. Heck we should have a whole Batman animated collection already that includes TAS, Mask of the Phantasm, Beyond and Return of the Joker.

With stuff like this I think it usually ends up being whichever brand you were exposed to first. When I first got into comics as a kid many moons ago, I pretty much tried out anything that looked interesting and really didn't care who published it. I gravitate a little more towards DC stuff, but I still read whatever looks interesting to me, regardless of who publishes it. Heck I've even bought Valiant books!

I think that's true about brand exposure, and I believe a lot of it comes down to age. I think Marvel was better at this in the '70s-'80s, Batman started to really grow in popularity in 1989 and more DC characters started getting some exposure in the late '90s-early '00s.

tim1138

I think that's true about brand exposure, and I believe a lot of it comes down to age. I think Marvel was better at this in the '70s-'80s, Batman started to really grow in popularity in 1989 and more DC characters started getting some exposure in the late '90s-early '00s.

Yep, I would agree with all this. You cannot discount the impact of the DCAU for introducing the general audience to the deeper cuts of the DCU.

Unrelated to this, but apparently we live in a world where an issue of Green Arrow has sold 90000+ copies:

@Benjamin_Percy said:
@Masked_Demon As I understand it, we're upward of 90,000 copies right now. Thank you, readers.

Owzers

I lost almost every Overwatch game today and only read comics i didn't like. Good stuff. Game of Thrones better be really good Sunday. Also cavs are losing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The twitter feed page on Squirrel Girl might be my favorite part of each issue, and I dont even mean that as a diss at the book. Just cracks me up to imagine Iron Man actually talking to her on twitter

I feel like I was equally exposed to Marvel/DC characters through cartoons/games/movies but I really got into Marvel because Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimates and New X-Men came out around the same time. Looking around at my library, Id say they're almost equal with a bit more Marvel if you include Vertigo and Wildstorm

Yep, I would agree with all this. You cannot discount the impact of the DCAU for introducing the general audience to the deeper cuts of the DCU.

Unrelated to this, but apparently we live in a world where an issue of Green Arrow has sold 90000+ copies:

Goddamn. What do you think, word of mouth or just Rebirthomania?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Justice League movies post flashpoint paradox have been the pits.

I liked Batman Bad Blood though. Batwoman <3

I thought Justice League vs Teen Titans was a return to form. And Justice League: Gods and Monsters was pretty solid.

But yeah, aside from those they have been shitting out some clunkers. Throne of Atlantis was probably the most boring DC Animated film I've ever seen.

shingi70

Banned

I'm a way bigger DC fan than I am marvel fan. I grew up with a healthy mix of both which is why I love Spider-man and in the read most of the big Marvel/DC events near the same time. However DC Animated grabbed much more than Marvel's did and I watched all ten years of smallville which is why Superman and Green Arrow are my dfavorite two superheroes.

What really settled for me was getting my first smart phone in high school just as comixlogy was just starting to come to frution and marvel was taking digital a bit more seriously than marvel. I bought all the Batwoman issues of detective and all the issues of the original Firestorm mini.Then I bought JL Generation Lost and Flashpoint day one digital which led right into the new 52.

Green Arrow selling 90k is pretty interesting because if we get the diamond numbers and its 50 or 60k or w/e we now have an idea of how much a title sells on comixology

tim1138

Goddamn. What do you think, word of mouth or just Rebirthomania?

if it's 90k print than I'm guessing Rebirthomania, because if I remember correctly those numbers are Diamond sell through to retailers. but, all of the Rebirth one shots are getting second printings, so word of mouth is there somewhat.

Green Arrow selling 90k is pretty interesting because if we get the diamond numbers and its 50 or 60k or w/e we now have an idea of how much a title sells on comixology

I normally don't pay too much attention to sales (since most of my favorite books sell like shit), but June's numbers will be interesting to see. If GA sold 90k, you have to imagine Batman numbers will be insane.

Sandfox

I would imagine that the digital-physical ratio widely differs between books and that 90k is probably retail only.

Top Bottom