• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

What's a good site for comic book reviews? Or even an aggregation site? I only know of comicbookroundup and it often tends to be sparse.

Most comic fan-run sites write terrible reviews; it's like trying to listen to a really excited 6 year old describe a movie. For me, it's more about quality rather than quantity. I read Oliver Sava at the AV Club, every Friday he does a longform review on a comic released that week. As well, Deadshirt regularly puts up great comic reviews. Abraham Riesman is probably the best comic journalist working, writing for Vulture and NY Mag. He does more longform pieces rather than reviews, but he regularly covers comics.

I'm hoping that the Ringer does regular comic coverage, but people should just read the Ringer regardless.

VanWinkle

YES. Small but very exciting IST haul for me. I'm gon be reading good

RxNE1JI.jpg

That world-class Goon art. Up there with my favorite.

ovQGeZl.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
Most comic fan-run sites write terrible reviews; it's like trying to listen to a really excited 6 year old describe a movie. For me, it's more about quality rather than quantity. I read Oliver Sava at the AV Club, every Friday he does a longform review on a comic released that week. As well, Deadshirt regularly puts up great comic reviews. Abraham Riesman is probably the best comic journalist working, writing for Vulture and NY Mag. He does more longform pieces rather than reviews, but he regularly covers comics.

I'm hoping that the Ringer does regular comic coverage, but people should just read the Ringer regardless.

Evan Narcisse at Polygon is actually really good, too.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I just started reading The Fade Out by Image and am hooked.

Anyone have recommendations based on that? going to be done with The Fade Out pretty soon.

Mifune

Mehmber
So I finished Infinity. It was okay with some beautiful art at points. I don't know, it just felt like standard superhero comics with lots of walloping fistfights and explosions. Fun for what it is but largely inessential. It's the premise Hickman's been setting up in Avengers/New Avengers cranked to 11, but I found the setup, where the heroes are dealing with one incursion at a time, one set of builders or whatnot, much more engaging.

Worth reading as part of this run but not worth seeking out on its own.

So I finished Infinity. It was okay with some beautiful art at points. I don't know, it just felt like standard superhero comics with lots of walloping fistfights and explosions. Fun for what it is but largely inessential. It's the premise Hickman's been setting up in Avengers/New Avengers cranked to 11, but I found the setup, where the heroes are dealing with one incursion at a time, one set of builders or whatnot, much more engaging.

Worth reading as part of this run but not worth seeking out on its own.

I agree but...

4584947-6844910138-33671.jpg

KodaRuss

I went to my local comic book store for the first time today and they were sold out of the first issue of civil war. Also, they jacked the price up of Captain America #1 to $8?

Is that pretty normal? I have not bought a physical comic in a long time outside of a graphic novel on Amazon or two.

Owzers

I went to my local comic book store for the first time today and they were sold out of the first issue of civil war. Also, they jacked the price up of Captain America #1 to $8?

Is that pretty normal? I have not bought a physical comic in a long time outside of a graphic novel on Amazon or two.

Raising the price of new comics seems odd to me, was it a variant cover? I guess stores might do that. Also, being sold out of popular hype books is probably semi-normal if you don't get there very close to when they release, within the day/next day.

Not only are most reviews pretty empty but single issues make for poor reviews by nature imo

Good comics critics: Nick Hanover from loser city, Zainab from comics and cola, the guy from sktchd, JA Micheline usually for Women Write About Comics, Janelle Asselin when she wrote for Comics Alliance, Andrew Wheeler from Comics Alliance, Ulises Farinas when he used to do reviews not sure if he still does them, Laura Sneddon. Theres a few more but those are ones Ive enjoyed

Messi

No, your store is being scummy and jacked up the price due to it being something people are looking for. Do not pay $8.

The Fearless Defenders Vol. 1: Doom Maidens

So one day, I decided I wanted to read a book involving two of Marvel's bad bitches: Misty Knight and Colleen Wing. Well, this book didn't have a lot of Colleen Wing, but it has Misty! So at least one qualifier is met. Anyways, this series is written by the ever so panned Cullen Bunn and drawn by Will Sliney. Keep in mind, this book takes place immediately after the events of Fear, Itself. Gonna have to read that, regardless of how bad it is. Basically, all there is to know going in is that there is a floating city called "Asgardia" chilling in New Mexico. Asgardia is ruled by the All-Mother, a trio of female Asgardians consisting of Freya, Gaea, and Idunn. Valkyrie is the last Shieldmaiden of Asgardia.

To start off, we see Valkyrie standing in the rain talking about omens, when the rain turns to blood. CUT TO: Misty Knight on a boat, taking out some thieves that are smuggling priceless Asgardian artifacts. Misty grabs one, gets attacked by some mysterious mercenaries, and heads back to not-really-renowned-or-even-known archaeologist Dr. Annabelle Riggs. At this point, the artifact starts summoning zombie vikings, which Misty begins to kill...again. Valkyrie shows up on her flying horse, Aragorn, and helps Misty kill the zombies. The dialogue is not great. Valkyrie saves Riggs, who then kisses her and falls madly in love with Valkyrie. Anyways, they all head to Asgardia to inform the All-Mother, who then informs them of the Doom Maidens (also referred to as the Blighted Host), a group of old Shieldmaidens who went super evil and got put down by Odin. Hela shows up, having pulled a fuckton of strings to resurrect Warrior Woman a.k.a. Hippolyta of Themyscira, in order to fight the Doom Maidens. The reason Hela is even involved (strange, since all the dead souls that would result would bolster Hela's forces) is because the Doom Maidens are unstoppable killing machines, and would eventually turn to destroying Hel. She brought back an Amazon because Amazons are the only race that both rivals Asgardians in power that also is not Asgardian, since the Doom Maidens are attempting to perform a world-ending ritual in which the final ingredient is the blood of a valkyrie a.k.a. Valkyrie. The All-Mother declares that Warrior Woman will not go alone, and that Valkyrie, Riggs, and Misty will accompany her.

During those events, the group of mercenaries that attacked Misty earlier have gone and captured Dani Moonstar who, while no longer a mutant, is still a valkyrie. Another reason why Hela wants to get involved is to save Dani, who is Hela's valkyrie. It's revealed that the mercenaries are being run by a woman named Catherine del Rey, who is a psychopath that wants to end the world for shits and giggles, hence resurrecting the Doom Maidens. The four sent by the All-Mother show up at the evil lair, fight the Doom Maidens, and save Dani Moonstar. During the fight, Valkyrie is revealed to be Brunhilde, the Doom Maiden of Rage. They pull out to Misty's secret safehouse, where they decide to follow the Doom Maidens to an ancient arena with Asgardian imagery. Only Hipployta, Valkyrie, and Dani go, while Misty and Annabelle stay back at the safehouse. It's revealed during a losing fight that Misty and Annabelle summoned a bunch of female Avengers to help fight. Something about needing to replace the Shieldmaidens of Asgardia in order to stop the ritual and kill the Doom Maidens. Anyways, Valkyrie goes full rage mode and kills all of the maidens, beats down all the Avengers, and then is about to kill an entire town before being stopped by Annabelle. Annabelle appeals to her emotional side, and Brunhilde (full rage mode) kills Anabelle before completely going away. Valkyrie, now in full control, reveals that she now has the power to see those with Deathsight, the ability to see impending doom. She states that the world doesn't need Shieldmaidens, since heroes will always show up when they're needed. The Avengers all tell her to fuck off (especially Misty) and leave. Catherine del Rey is now trying to create a new set of Doom Maidens using existing heroes and villains. Oh, also Annabelle Riggs was a valkyrie.

So, this book was pretty decent. Bunn writes and Sliney draws. It's nothing special. Bunn creates a cool plot, but bogs it down with largely serviceable dialogue. Sliney's art is okay, creating cool single panels, but his fights don't have good flow. They're choppy, but not like Land where they can just be plain hard to follow. That seems to be the book's biggest problems: all big picture with simply mediocre details. The focus is most certainly on Valkyrie, while Misty is just sort of there. Given the Asgard focus, I wish there was more Dani, but she sadly spends almost the entire time being a prisoner. Instead we get focus on Hipployta -- who is just okay and doesn't have much of a shtick beyond, "Amazons are better than Valkyries" -- and Annabelle Riggs, who is just there for plot and a love interest that only pays off for one moment and is gone. Overall it was a cool action book and I'll definitely read the rest of the run (I believe it only has two trades), but it's just okay and I'd find it hard to recommend to anyone not looking for this kind of book already. Even then, there are better female-lead ensemble action books (Rat Queens, for example).

I'll definitely keep reading, since the book does satisfy, but not as much as I wanted it to.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Pretty shitty move from Misty. Wolverine is allowed to murder a entire small nation and gets away with the mind control execuse but everyone else is punished after similar.

Vic_Viper

Did they ever collect all of Dini's Hush stuff in one trade? Looking for some good Batman stuff to read that I don't have already like the basic must read stuff and Morrison's run.

Also how would people here rate Rememder's run on Punisher? Is it similar in quality to his run on X-force/uncanny?

Did they ever collect all of Dini's Hush stuff in one trade? Looking for some good Batman stuff to read that I don't have already like the basic must read stuff and Morrison's run.

Also how would people here rate Rememder's run on Punisher? Is it similar in quality to his run on X-force/uncanny?
They have traded half a heart before. Which is the strongest Dini Hush stuff

All it does is aggregate reviews

I know, just funny seeing these critic's take on the runs, aggregated up.

52 does not deserve that score :(.

It's a silly concept because unlike video games & movies, it's not like there's a lot of outlets that review comics, and the few that do are very... choice in their opinions.

It's hard to aggregate runs too, because imo, runs are best rated on a whole and not by the average of how you take each individual issue.

Any Adventure Time readers?

I have TBP vols 1-7, and I'm concerned now that I believe Ryan North left 1 issue into vol 8.

After North leaves, it's written by Chris Hastings of Dr. McNinja and Gwenpoole. I've only read the first arc and it's not bad, but nowhere near inventive as the North stuff (nor as funny). It read like...your typical license comic. North loved playing with the medium of comics, like in the choose your own adventure issue or the story where Jake and Finn can only speak in symbols. Miss that stuff.

Pretty shitty move from Misty. Wolverine is allowed to murder a entire small nation and gets away with the mind control execuse but everyone else is punished after similar.

Playing devil's advocate, but I see Misty's point: Valkyrie kills Annabelle, largely an innocent party in all this when you consider that she's surrounded by actual superheroes, most of which are actual superhumans. Then she goes, "Welp that sucks, but now I need you all to deal with these specific threats immediately as they pop up because now you're all Asgardian Shieldmaidens. But also not, because Asgardia doesn't need Shieldmaidens." It was kind of stupid. Especially considering everyone else just walks off. She-Hulk even says she understands how rage can control a person, but shit happens to Valkyrie and everyone just goes "Nah fuck you." I'm going to assume that she takes the blame given she knew full well that she'd have to go full berserker mode, but then again, everyone else knew that was a possibility anyways. It's not like it was a surprise or anything.

It's the whole Phoenix Five thing: Jean becomes Dark Phoenix, and everything she did gets passed off by the X-Men. Cyclops kills Xavier though, and everyone hates him and refuses to believe that the Phoenix is to blame. I blame Namor for forcing to grade on a curve, since he took full responsibility for his actions.

JTripper

I cannot stand that art style for those 50 first issues.

I don't like it either, but I guess that's just a testament to Dixon's scripts. The writing is tight and he's great at characterization. The art (mostly the action) is way too chaotic though and the coloring makes panels very confusing at times.

Decided to start watching the new Tmnt show from nick. Hopefully it's good
I watched the first season and half of the second. It's solid. The humor and characterizations are on point. The action could be better. Like, the scenes are cool, but they aren't as fluid as they could be. I keep meaning to go back to it, but the animation is definitely the weakest point.
Duggan revealed future art for Uncanny Avengers
Looks like Imma have to read it
Stegman is gone? oh thank fuck. Now redesign Rogue please.

I believe that is a Rogue redesign. Although I like Rogue's current design. Hoodie Rogue is best Rogue.

I don't like it either, but I guess that's just a testament to Dixon's scripts. The writing is tight and he's great at characterization. The art (mostly the action) is way too chaotic though and the coloring makes panels very confusing at times.

I can agree with this, but I actually like the art. It does feel too chaotic and confusing at some points.

mreddie

My local Comic Con is happening and I kinda want to go but it's 1000 degrees right now. Plus, the guests are meh this year, Kubiek and Perez and Schoonover are the only notables.

Top Bottom