• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

shingi70

Banned
Comics is increasingly taking up more of my time than Video Games which used to be one of my favorite things. It's just so much less time consuming and I can use the non video game time on learning to code, Homework, and going to the gym.

TheFlow

Banned
Comics is increasingly taking up more of my time than Video Games which used to be one of my favorite things. It's just so much less time consuming and I can use the non video game time on learning to code, Homework, and going to the gym.

my life.

Zombine

Banned

Amazing back of the box quote for next month's thread

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I have very little interest in video games now, don't know if it's depression, growing up or I'm just sick of them

Messi

Who is your favorite artist for great facial expressions? I love when an artist excels at them.

I was thinking about how great Gary Frank is.

Sejic is really good at facial expressions. Also his Wonder Woman is top tier.

mfrgnu4i8tm7mmykh9ud.jpg

death_vigil_2_the_makeover_by_nebezial-d7nlgjz.jpg

cebb7c400206cbae703b1d1a03d17d12.jpg

beware___this_gets_real_stupid__by_nebezial-d950nqe.jpg

Help me gaf.

I´m currently a DC only reader but i´d like to give Marvel a try again.

Is there any series that i should follow that is starting this year?

For example, is it ok if i jump into the Spiderman 2016 (Bendis)? Is it recommended (as a standalone serie)?

Thanks!!
Yes, you can start there and be fine.

All-New All-Different Marvel serves as a good starting point. Feel free to start at #1 for anything that started with it. Some good, self-contained, books are:
Vision
Mockingbird
Power-Man & Iron Fist
Black Widow

Goes through phases for me. I thought last year was terrible for new releases for videogames (maybe two-three games I really liked) but this year more titles appeal to me so I'm playing them more often.

Yea it's price is crazy. But going splash page without having to go to guided view was a game changer. And reading portrait makes all digital purchases oversized editions. Killed any interest in print comics (outside Library editions) and I don't think I could go back to normal tablet reading ever again

Do you take it out and about with you? I do most of my comic reading on the train too and from work. Is I comfortable to hold for an hour straight?

How did you guys get your total book count on Comixology? Does it matter that I've archived basically all the series I've finished reading?

I can't imagine my tally being in the same wheelhouse as some of yours. I read a ton of Marvel, for instance, but that's almost entirely on MU. A few exceptions like Punisher MAX which you can't find on Unlimited.

Owzers

DCBS preliminary order:

Black Panther
Black Science
Dr. Strange
East of West
Gwenpool #5 - need to read the first two issues before i order this
Invincible
Paper Girls
Power Man and Iron Fist
Saga
Walking Bread
Wonder Woman #4,5

maybe:

Suicide Squad Rebirth and #1 - i have no confidence in DC right now, i'm hoping Wonder Woman is great and at least it's Rucka

Kill or Be Killed #1 and Black Monday Murders #1: I might start buying more Image monthly instead of trade waiting or going digital? Is that a good idea? It feels like a bad idea, but at least Image tends to have good paper quality on some of their books. Though their $9.99 first volume trades dcbs has for $4.99 is tough to flop it up.

not quite:

All Star Batman #1 - i dropped his Batman run after Endgame, probably not a good idea to buy this thinking it's going to be any different.

Batman #4 and 5- waiting to read the others after that Rebirth issue.

The Fix vol 1: collects 4 issues and isn't part of the half off special, will get it on a cmx digital sale probably.

4001 A.D. Bloodshot One-Shot
Action Comics #957
Aquaman Rebirth One-Shot
Civil War II: Amazing Spider-Man #1 of 4
Civil War II: Gods of War #1 of 4
Detective Comics #934
The Flash Rebirth One-Shot
Gold Key Alliance #3 of 5
Injection #10
Kings Quest #2 of 5
Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #1 of 6
Star Trek: Manifest Destiny #4 of 4
Star Trek Ongoing #58
The Vision #8
Wonder Woman Rebirth One-Shot

As far as games, eh, it waxes and wanes. Right now I'm just playing Marvel Heroes while the anniversary event is on, grinding out heroes and listening to podcasts and audiobooks. This has been a great year overall though. The Witness, XCOM 2, DOOM, Overwatch, Enter the Gungeon, Darkest Dungeon, Stellaris, Firewatch, Stardew Valley, SUPERHOT, Hyper Light Drifter and Hitman are all GOTY contenders IMO.

ElNarez

Banned
If you don't think Suicide Squad is gonna be dope, you should get to reading Martian Manhunter and Unfollow immediately. Rob Williams can do big, weird, sometimes funny and sometimes political, which is exactly what a Squad book is about.

(The Harley April's Fools one-shot was also really good, and cruel in the way you would want a Suicide Squad book to be cruel)

How did you guys get your total book count on Comixology? Does it matter that I've archived basically all the series I've finished reading?

I can't imagine my tally being in the same wheelhouse as some of yours. I read a ton of Marvel, for instance, but that's almost entirely on MU. A few exceptions like Punisher MAX which you can't find on Unlimited.

On the desktop site, I just went to the My Books tab then Browse Library. By default, it will show series, but you can filter it to show the books themselves.

I just went through my shelves to see how much I have from Marvel and DC and my tally ended up being 70 DC (including Vertigo, without it's like 59) and Marvel was about 46. Dark Horse is third, then Image, then other pubs.

Wish there was an easy way to check digitally for publishers.

I have got to stop playing overwatch past midnight.

Same! I blame you. Weird that we've had better success as a duo then we did grouping up with those others last night.

Folks are convinced Blizzard has grouping set up to ensure a ~50% win rate, which matches my experience so far. I'll have some great runs followed by attack groups made up of three Hanzos and two Widows.

On the desktop site, I just went to the My Books tab then Browse Library. By default, it will show series, but you can filter it to show the books themselves.

I just went through my shelves to see how much I have from Marvel and DC and my tally ended up being 70 DC (including Vertigo, without it's like 59) and Marvel was about 46. Dark Horse is third, then Image, then other pubs.

Wish there was an easy way to check digitally for publishers.

Doesn't include all the stuff in archived by default, unfortunately. 791 total books here.

Just started reading The Goon after 3 hours of the Witcher 3 DLC. This is a surprisingly fun comic. You can definitely see how old the early stuff is based on the slang and some of the things that are depicted.

Goon is great. Am really looking forward to v4, I'll start seeing material new to me!

gabbo

Sejic is really good at facial expressions. Also his Wonder Woman is top tier.

His faces do tend to be be a bit samey though. I look at that Wonder Woman or the Poison Ivy/Harley image and all I can see are Lisa and Ally from Sunstone doing cosplay. in terms of expressive though, yeah, he's damn good.

Messi

If you don't think Suicide Squad is gonna be dope, you should get to reading Martian Manhunter and Unfollow immediately. Rob Williams can do big, weird, sometimes funny and sometimes political, which is exactly what a Squad book is about.

(The Harley April's Fools one-shot was also really good, and cruel in the way you would want a Suicide Squad book to be cruel)

I agree with this and also Jim Lee is doing half the art.

Messi

His faces do tend to be be a bit samey though. I look at that Wonder Woman or the Poison Ivy/Harley image and all I can see are Lisa and Ally from Sunstone doing cosplay. in terms of expressive though, yeah, he's damn good.

This is a trait many artists have sadly. Amanda Conner and Phil Noto have severe cases of it.

VanWinkle

This is a trait many artists have sadly. Amanda Conner and Phil Noto have severe cases of it.

100% agree. Great expression work, but faces look so similar. And yeah, Amanda Connor definitely has that, too, though I don't think that to the same extent.

squadr0n

About to place another order here soon for IST but was wondering about a couple things. How would people rate Remender's Punisher? Was thinking about picking up the Omni since Amazon has a few at 70$ but ive never read it. Ive heard its not your typical Punisher but that actually intrigues me more. The Franken-Castle stuff sounds awesome. But how is the run over all? Is it comparable to his other Marvel books in quality?

Also how is The Wicked + The Divine? Also havent read any of it but keep hearing great things? Im more of a Spy/Sci Fi fan when it comes to my non super hero books.

Other than that, this time around I want to try and get Fear Agent Library Editions 1 & 2, and Hellboy Library Edition #1. Havent read anything from either series but both sound right up my alley.

Just finished Lazarus and started East of West and both are incredible. Also just got Millar's Wolverine Omni and its by far my favorite Wolverine stuff aside from Aaron's. I usually hate Romita's art but they have really made it something special in this book. The coloring alone makes it pop like crazy. I seriously recommend people check it out if they want a good Wolverine book. The first two arcs are awesome! Cant wait to get into the Old Man Logan stuff.

Cap Marvel has a narrower bridge on her nose there but yeah its like the exact same lines that make up the face. I feel like I mostly see that problem with artists who don't expand their body language and body types. Not only that, I feel like I often see artists struggling with 'ethnic' features. Like a lot of them cant or don't draw features that are outside of that western european set of faces that everyone draws. For example, Cliff Chiang is probably one of few artists Ive seen that draw Wonder Woman as distinguishable from any woman you see in a pop culture magazine. He gave her a hella strong profile where as most artists just draw her as very pretty and athletic but generic woman Maybe a lot of artists are worried about going into racist caricature territory?

Looking to get a tablet for reading. Have got it down to iPad Pro and Surface Pro 4.

It's unfortunate that the Comixology app was discontinued from the Windows App Store. Anyone using a Surface Pro to read comics? How do you like it?

Are you stuck just reading comics while you have internet connection (because you can't save them offline without an app)?

How's the screen ration on a Surface?

About to place another order here soon for IST but was wondering about a couple things. How would people rate Remender's Punisher? Was thinking about picking up the Omni since Amazon has a few at 70$ but ive never read it. Ive heard its not your typical Punisher but that actually intrigues me more. The Franken-Castle stuff sounds awesome. But how is the run over all? Is it comparable to his other Marvel books in quality?

Also how is The Wicked + The Divine? Also havent read any of it but keep hearing great things? Im more of a Spy/Sci Fi fan when it comes to my non super hero books.

Other than that, this time around I want to try and get Fear Agent Library Editions 1 & 2, and Hellboy Library Edition #1. Havent read anything from either series but both sound right up my alley.

Just finished Lazarus and started East of West and both are incredible. Also just got Millar's Wolverine Omni and its by far my favorite Wolverine stuff aside from Aaron's. I usually hate Romita's art but they have really made it something special in this book. The coloring alone makes it pop like crazy. I seriously recommend people check it out if they want a good Wolverine book. The first two arcs are awesome! Cant wait to get into the Old Man Logan stuff.
Wicked + Divine is kind of divisive here. A lot of us were really into it at first but only a handful still read it. I enjoyed the first issue but after that it was very clear that I was not in the target audience and I just didn't like it.

Can't speak for anything else but Hellboy is amazing and I can't recommend it enough. Beautiful artwork and a lot of heart in the dialogue. Hellboy is such a lovable protagonist. First arc is kind of weird since Byrne did the writing but once Mignola takes over in Wake the Devil, it never stops being awesome.

Fun fact about Remender Punisher: our own BenjaminBirdie has a quote on the back of the omni. Says it's the best comic ever in true Birdie fashion.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Looking to get a tablet for reading. Have got it down to iPad Pro and Surface Pro 4.

It's unfortunate that the Comixology app was discontinued from the Windows App Store. Anyone using a Surface Pro to read comics? How do you like it?

Are you stuck just reading comics while you have internet connection (because you can't save them offline without an app)?

if you can afford it, get the 12.9 pro

im jelly

Messi

Cap Marvel has a narrower bridge on her nose there but yeah its like the exact same lines that make up the face. I feel like I mostly see that problem with artists who don't expand their body language and body types. Not only that, I feel like I often see artists struggling with 'ethnic' features. Like a lot of them cant or don't draw features that are outside of that western european set of faces that everyone draws. For example, Cliff Chiang is probably one of few artists Ive seen that draw Wonder Woman as distinguishable from any woman you see in a pop culture magazine. He gave her a hella strong profile where as most artists just draw her as very pretty and athletic but generic woman Maybe a lot of artists are worried about going into racist caricature territory?

Gotta be careful this doesn't happen again.

LegendX48

There have been better X-Men runs but not many imo Unless you can't stand Bendis's style, Id recommend checking it out. Bendis has written a lot of really great comics and a lot of so so ones (mostly big events and Guardians of the Galaxy). Depending on how you like teen drama, ANXM can be pretty great at times. It does get bogged into crossovers between Uncanny X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy but its an almost always gorgeous series.
I think I'll give it a shot, been eye-balling that hardcover that has issues 1-10 for a while now.

Bendis isn't garbage at all, it's just that he has his wheelhouse and when he leaves it, people get upset. Personally I like him as a writer, but he has his moments.

Out of everything of his that I, personally, have read, All-New X-Men is his weakest endeavor. It's good up until The Trial of Jean Grey (which is dope as fuck), which was a crossover between ANXM and his Guardians of the Galaxy run. After that it pretty much becomes stretched out filler consisting of Jean Grey whining all the time. The only big negatives are the way he writes Kitty Pryde and the young Jean Grey. I'd recommend reading it at least through the Trial. After that, read his Uncanny run, which is actually just good.

I'll check it out. Just itching for more as I just finished the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Eh. Bendis isn't total garbage. His dialogue really grates on my nerves at times. I feel like he has a weakness writing diverse character voices, so his larger cast stuff doesn't work as well as his run on Ultimate Spider-man. Still a fun enough read.

I'd prefer to read 80's Claremont. Do that instead if you haven't. Marvel Unlimited is your friend. #MUShill

I do have a little bit of Claremont's stuff, just the Dark Phoenix Saga which I thought was great, and Days of Future Past which was alright (I didn't realize at the time that the book also served as a collection of the regular comics prior to and then leading into DOFP. I need to go back and reread it).

if you can afford it, get the 12.9 pro

im jelly

My biggest problem with the iPad Pro is spending that much money for just a tablet. With a Surface Pro I still get a laptop experience, and I have very lightly been looking to get a laptop.

I think I might've found a janky workaround. This Chrome extension allows you to download the Comixology comics, which I guess I'll just use a Windows App Store app to read. Sucks that my progress won't save across devices using this method though.

Here's hoping for a good Marvel and/or Comixology Windows App...

I don't have SP4 but I bought a miix 700 which is pretty much a clone. Comics look really nice on it and SP4 is likely to look really good as well. iPad Pro is supposed to be the best way to read digital comics. Just depends if you wanna drop that much money on it vs SP4 which is an actual laptop/tablet hybrid

edit: I think Comixology has said they shuttered the windows app to focus on the web experience so I wouldn't expect a new app

I don't have any books archived. What is the point of it?

It lets you avoid sifting through books you've already finished, and allows you to remove free trash or other stuff you don't want to see everytime you log in. Basically, the books are still there and you can pull them back from archive whenever you want, but it removes clutter. When I finish reading a series that has concluded, I always archive it.

Regarding the iPad Pro, everytime I see a screenshot with comics on it I get tempted to pick one up. But I'd honestly only use it to read comics...literally nothing else. It becomes a hard proposition to justify one just for comics. If it was around $300, I'd buy one instantly. At the current price range, I'm leaning more towards building a new PC with my son.

For now, in stuck reading comics on my 6s plus or occasionally my desktop.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

It's good with the exception of one arc down the road.

Just finished Lazarus and started East of West and both are incredible.

Yes they are. I'm thinking about rereading Lazarus before the new one FINALLY comes out in 9 days.

Top Bottom