• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Who is your favorite artist for great facial expressions? I love when an artist excels at them.

I was thinking about how great Gary Frank is.

Amanda Conner and Kyle Baker are my favorites:
jWMWJg0.jpg

tumblr_nko605h1Dr1szfy48o9_1280.jpg

I assume this is the place to ask so... Is the All New X-Men run by Brian Michael Bendis good? I've been kind of under the impression that Bendis is garbage so I don't know if it's worth jumping in >.>

There have been better X-Men runs but not many imo Unless you can't stand Bendis's style, Id recommend checking it out. Bendis has written a lot of really great comics and a lot of so so ones (mostly big events and Guardians of the Galaxy). Depending on how you like teen drama, ANXM can be pretty great at times. It does get bogged into crossovers between Uncanny X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy but its an almost always gorgeous series.

kevin maguire tha god

As far as Im concerned, yup. Great variety with marked differences between them while maintaining consistency.

My first legendary skin was for Mccree....i might have to play as him even though i can't aim, i'm sure i'll be fine. I'm pretty much the same character-wise as you, but i also like turret guy, winston, pharah, mei, lucio. Just no one that really has to aim.

McCree is one of the few offense guys that I can regularly score kills with. You don't really have to aim super well with him. It's literally flash bang, fan the hammer, roll, and fan the hammer again. That will drop anyone, including tanks. From up close to mid range he's a monster, which is why the designer is already saying he'll be nerfed in the near future.

Zootopia list

Prometheus: Life and Death #1
Wonder Woman Rebirth #1
Invisible Republic #10
Revival #40
Shutter #22
Wicked & Divine #20
Empress #3
Vision #8

tumblr_o3q47rpkPT1s9ec6no1_500.gif

I really enjoyed the first 6 issues of Ultimates. That was a great recommendation.

How is CBR for reviews? It's hard for me to determine which of the Avengers series to pickup.

Owzers

I'm definitely going to give Zootopia a rent, i hope it's not a letdown. Do the zombie animals enter the story early? I don't like it when it takes 30 minutes to get going.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm definitely going to give Zootopia a rent, i hope it's not a letdown. Do the zombie animals enter the story early? I don't like it when it takes 30 minutes to get going.

I cant tell if thats a spoiler or not lol

I assume this is the place to ask so... Is the All New X-Men run by Brian Michael Bendis good? I've been kind of under the impression that Bendis is garbage so I don't know if it's worth jumping in >.>
Bendis isn't garbage at all, it's just that he has his wheelhouse and when he leaves it, people get upset. Personally I like him as a writer, but he has his moments.

Out of everything of his that I, personally, have read, All-New X-Men is his weakest endeavor. It's good up until The Trial of Jean Grey (which is dope as fuck), which was a crossover between ANXM and his Guardians of the Galaxy run. After that it pretty much becomes stretched out filler consisting of Jean Grey whining all the time. The only big negatives are the way he writes Kitty Pryde and the young Jean Grey. I'd recommend reading it at least through the Trial. After that, read his Uncanny run, which is actually just good.
Let's all watch this on netflix.

Team watch over Skype?

Foofaraw

Eh. Bendis isn't total garbage. His dialogue really grates on my nerves at times. I feel like he has a weakness writing diverse character voices, so his larger cast stuff doesn't work as well as his run on Ultimate Spider-man. Still a fun enough read.

I'd prefer to read 80's Claremont. Do that instead if you haven't. Marvel Unlimited is your friend. #MUShill

What comics are these?

First one is Power Girl: Power Trip and the second is You Are Here.

Power Girl's one of my favorite DC runs. Just pure fun with great art.

You Are Here is a graphic novel that's basically like a perfect comedy movie. Short and sweet and great from start to finish. I had never heard of till I saw JC mention it once and it's become probably my favorite OGN.

That's absolutely astronomical. How long have you been buying digital comics?
Looks like I started June 2011. Almost all were bought during sales or were free issues (like that marvel 300 or 600 free #1s? I forget). It's why I stopped buying comics new. I just wait for the sales, got plenty to read in the meantime.

List, Finely Drawn Faces Edition

Weavers 2 (this book is really cool you guys should check it out)

House of Penance 3

Action Comics 957
Awwwkwaman Rebirth 1
Detective Comics 934
Flash Rebirth 1
Wonder Woman Rebirth 1

TMNT Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything 2

Birthright 16
The Fix 3

All-New X-Men 10
CWII Amazing Spider-Man 1
CWII Gods of War 1
Daredevil 8
Darth Vader 21
Guardians of the Galaxy 9
New Avengers 12
Venom Space Knight 8
Vision 8 (YES)

Invader Zim 10 (thinking about dropping this)

Merry Men is an interesting concept but I know nothing about these guys and I'm already buying too many comics.

I'm really bummed that Hercules will be wrapped up with a 4-issue CWII mini. The last issue left him in a truly fucked up place and I have no faith it will be adequately resolved here.

Eh. Bendis isn't total garbage. His dialogue really grates on my nerves at times. I feel like he has a weakness writing diverse character voices, so his larger cast stuff doesn't work as well as his run on Ultimate Spider-man. Still a fun enough read.

I'd prefer to read 80's Claremont. Do that instead if you haven't. Marvel Unlimited is your friend. #MUShill

Claremont's Uncanny is an amazing place to start. Or read ever, period.

So, I finally decided to watch DD S2. When Karen
is at the newspaper talking to the editor, he mentions "the incident" that made them wipe all their servers. Are they referring to Fisk or Ultron? Also taking this moment to voice how upset I am that they killed off Ben Urich.

So, I finally decided to watch DD S2. When Karen
is at the newspaper talking to the editor, he mentions "the incident" that made them wipe all their servers. Are they referring to Fisk or Ultron? Also taking this moment to voice how upset I am that they killed off Ben Urich.

It's definitely an Ultron reference.

I cannot express my exasperation at the killing of Ben Urich. A waste of one of the best members of the supporting cast, total waste. It's like they tailor-made a S2 story for Ben and gave it to Karen as a big "FUCK YOU" to comic fans.

I hope she dies next season. Come on Bullseye, do it man.

It's definitely an Ultron reference.

I cannot express my exasperation at the killing of Ben Urich. A waste of one of the best members of the supporting cast, total waste. It's like they tailor-made a S2 story for Ben and gave it to Karen as a big "FUCK YOU" to comic fans.

I hope she dies next season. Come on Bullseye, do it man.

It pisses me off so much. He's such an integral part of the Daredevil cast and mythos. Just pisses me off. Plus the actor that played him was just so fucking good. I'm betting that they figured they would have nothing for Karen to do other than play love interest post-S1. I guarantee that's what happened.

Ms. Marvel is such a fantastic read. I wish I had picked it up sooner.

It's nice to not only see a character similar to you represented in comics, but also done well.

Just started reading The Goon after 3 hours of the Witcher 3 DLC. This is a surprisingly fun comic. You can definitely see how old the early stuff is based on the slang and some of the things that are depicted.

mitheor

Help me gaf.

I´m currently a DC only reader but i´d like to give Marvel a try again.

Is there any series that i should follow that is starting this year?

For example, is it ok if i jump into the Spiderman 2016 (Bendis)? Is it recommended (as a standalone serie)?

Thanks!!

Ms. Marvel is such a fantastic read. I wish I had picked it up sooner.

It's nice to not only see a character similar to you represented in comics, but also done well.

I can't speak on the self-representation aspect, but I'm glad people feel she's written well to that aspect. I just really enjoy the character herself, and her book is just good.
Help me gaf.

I´m currently a DC only reader but i´d like to give a try to Marvel again.

For example, is it ok if i jump into the Spiderman 2016 (Bendis)? Is it recommended (as a standalone serie)?

Thanks!!

That series gets a lot of love around here. I'd also recommend the most recent Black Panther series by Coates. It's only two issues in. Otherwise a lot of my personal favorites are at about ten issues, if you're okay with that:

Old Man Logan by Lemire and Sorrentino
The New Avengers by Ewing
The Ultimates by Ewing and Rocafort
Extraordinary X-Men by Lemire and Ramos
The Uncanny Inhumans by Soule
Karnak by Ellis
The Mighty Thor by Aaron

Those are my personal favorites that I get excited for every time, in addition to the aforementioned Black Panther by Coates.

Help me gaf.

I´m currently a DC only reader but i´d like to give Marvel a try again.

Thanks!!

You can totally jump into Spider-Man. I did. It's a fun book.

You need to pick up THE VISION. One of the best books anyone is putting out right now. #8 comes out this Wednesday. It'll only be 12 issues total so it's not a huge commitment.

Some books I'd recommend for a Marvel newbie that have five issues or less out right now: Black Widow, Mockingbird, Moon Knight, Power Man and Iron Fist, and Silver Surfer (this is a continuation of the last Silver Surfer series but you can just jump into the new volume pretty easily). All these books have completely different flavors and they're all great.

edit: Yeah Black Panther is really great, and it's only two issues so far, but I have trouble recommending it to a newbie. You'd have to be okay spending a little time on wikipedia. Tons of continuity going on there.

You can always hit us up with questions about any book you try. Trust me, someone will know!

You can totally jump into Spider-Man. I did. It's a fun book.

You need to pick up THE VISION. One of the best books anyone is putting out right now. #8 comes out this Wednesday. It'll only be 12 issues total so it's not a huge commitment.

Some books I'd recommend for a Marvel newbie that have five issues or less out right now: Black Widow, Mockingbird, Moon Knight, Power Man and Iron Fist, and Silver Surfer. All these books have completely different flavors and they're all great.

Whoop, forgot about the bolded! Those are on my aforementioned list as well.

I can't speak on the self-representation aspect, but I'm glad people feel she's written well to that aspect. I just really enjoy the character herself, and her book is just good.

That series gets a lot of love around here. I'd also recommend the most recent Black Panther series by Coates. It's only two issues in. Otherwise a lot of my personal favorites are at about ten issues, if you're okay with that:

Old Man Logan by Lemire and Sorrentino
The New Avengers by Ewing
The Ultimates by Ewing and Rocafort
Extraordinary X-Men by Lemire and Tampa
The Uncanny Inhumans by Soule
Karnak by Ellis
The Mighty Thor by Aaron

Those are my personal favorites that I get excited for every time, in addition to the aforementioned Black Panther by Coates.

Yea, I consider it really well written in that aspect. In fact, I think the thing I like the most is how it captures that sort of immigrant-esque lifestyle without being too on the nose.

And thanks for that list. I think I'll read New Avengers next. I didn't know that it was good.

And thanks for that list. I think I'll read New Avengers next. I didn't know that it was good.
It's a love it or hate it series. I think it's super fun and has a lot of energy. Cool action sequences, fun dialogue, etc. It's a very lighthearted book that goes to ridiculous places and is very reasonably placed. It's a good action book to offset the heavier shit like The Vision or Black Panther.

New Avengers is a Classic Cape Comic, capital C, C, C. It is very fun but it isn't trying to push any boundaries. There are books Marvel is putting out right now that are really stretching the concept of what a writer can do in a cape comic, and there are other books they are putting out that are very safe, simple, fun comics. New Avengers fits squarely in the latter category, not that there's anything wrong with that.

What's disappointing is that all of the Avengers books on shelves at the moment really fit in that category...unless you count the Ultimates, which many do, but I don't. The Ultimates is kinda its own thing.

Dominator

I don't read comics but a friend lent me his hardcover copies of Injustice Years 1-3. I read through them in a few days and I'm hooked. I think I might get into comics now, and I'm gonna go digital. Just downloaded the DC app and its pretty sweet, I downloaded a free comic and I like how it displays the frames. Pretty interesting when you swipe.

I don't know if Injustice is liked here and maybe my judgment is clouded because I haven't read anything else (aside from a single issue here and there throughout my life of random things), but I think it's really fantastic. Can't wait to read Year 4 and then see how it all ends in Year 5. Already downloaded the game on PS4 to play through again when it's done lol

I don't read comics but a friend lent me his hardcover copies of Injustice Years 1-3. I read through them in a few days and I'm hooked. I think I might get into comics now, and I'm gonna go digital. Just downloaded the DC app and its pretty sweet, I downloaded a free comic and I like how it displays the frames. Pretty interesting when you swipe.

I don't know if Injustice is liked here and maybe my judgment is clouded because I haven't read anything else (aside from a single issue here and there throughout my life of random things), but I think it's really fantastic. Can't wait to read Year 4 and then see how it all ends in Year 5. Already downloaded the game on PS4 to play through again when it's done lol

Welcome to comicgaf!

You should download comixology, you can get all of DC's stuff on there and it's the best place to get all your digital comics.

There are a few people here who love Injustice...before the writer switched out, then it kinda went downhill I guess. I read the first year and enjoyed it but didn't stick with it.

Zombine

Banned
that good? huh. I think walking dead and invincible are awesome so that is crazy

I'm a huge Kirkman supporter and love both of those books, but Outcast is definitely on another level. You can tell it's his passion project.

Allred is in my top 5 for faces. Most of the time he's #1. The dude takes the time to make every face in his books human or has them doing something in the background. Really glad I own something from him.

The only thing that ever really works against him IMO is that his tongues can look less like a part of their mouth and more like something in their mouth every now and then.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
After reading the Wendigo arc of BPRD again, I cannot not get Rumble now, James Harren's art is just too good. He does action so well, too, which is something a lot of American artists suck at.

Top Bottom