• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

How much did you love Blink? Was she everything you hoped and dreamed for?
The X-Men movies need more Blink.

tumblr_nir0rxYMXz1skw7w1o4_500.gif

I know Brian Wood's name is mostly butt around here, but it looks like they're reprinting Northlanders. We're getting a single tpb this month including volumes 1-3.

The X-men movie franchise is the most wasted potential in comic cinema history

After 16 years they have yet to tap into the ensemble comic cool of the franchise.

It's ridiculous. There are a million great X-Men characters and dozens of stories to tell. Not to mention have a little faith in the characters as they are

How was Remender's X-Force?

One of the best Cape Comics of ALL TIME. You will want to hunt down Remender's other Marvel work when you're done which is a good plan.

The real winner of JW was the mosasaur, in one day it got to eat a great white shark, a pterodactyl, a person, and the madeupasaurus. That crazy lizard ate like a king!

The mosasaur was the only thing in the movie I liked.

Well, the pteranadons killing people was pretty cool too I guess

How about everyone list a comic book reading goal for this week and by next sunday I will see if everyone completed it.

Mine is to finish all of the hellboy vol.2-12.

I will have ten or less books to finish in Comixology by next Sunday.

Preacher is fucking amazing.

I need to try this show. Is it really gory? Trying to decide if my wife would like it.

Oh, I didn't know the character's name, but I thought that was pretty cool.

Like how did they make the mistake of making Blink a one-off in both the comics and the movies. Blink is rad. Maybe she's too rad. Like the Quicksilver Problem. A problem MCU solved by capping him.

The Flash is going to be a really hard character to bring to screens, speedsters are just below reality warpers on the Ridiculous Powers Scale and he is by far the most ridiculous one.

Owzers

i want to give the Preacher show a try but i remember not continuing the series because it's content was a bit much for me. I'll still watch the first episode and see what's up.

Also game of thrones is a show, it's pretty good folks.

Just finished Earth 2 vol 1-5

For the most part i liked it. Future's End #1 at the end of vol 5 had me super confused!

Don't know if I should get the other Earth 2 books or just be satisfied with these. Read through a couple of Amazon reviews and I'm leaning towards stopping here.

One thing, what the hell happened to the Sam subplot?
GL finds out Sam was the main target in the accident. Goes to China to investigate and even has Hawkgirl help. But I don't think they ever say why Sam was murdered or why he was involed in Apokolips tech stuff

Did I maybe miss the explanation? Or was that subplot forgotten?
Read Vol. 6 and the World's End stuff. That wraps all the loose ends up. Plus World's End is just a non-stop hype train. Vol. 6 of Earth 2 is just backstory stuff to supplement World's End so it's not entirely necessary. I read it before World's End though, so I had backstory knowledge going into World's End that I wouldn't have had previously.

Blade > every MCU movie

free

Blade 2 is better.
Yeah, that was a FANTASTIC scene, though it does sort of raise questions like "why not just get this kid to do everything."

Tbf I feel like people are too hard on the Fox Xmen movies. Yeah, 3 was a turd and a half, and of course Origins sucked like nobody's business. But really, most of them are solid, and First Class and Days of Future Past are genuinely good.
-The first has aged terribly in damn near every aspect.
-X2 is really good, but only if you can accept that it's a Wolverine and the X-Men movie and not a full X-Men movie.
-My opinion will be controversial, but I legit enjoy X3. Most of the acting isn't particularly great and the dialogue and plotting are both poor, but the action is fun as hell and it's the best at using a big cast of characters out of all of them. It has the best versions of Storm and Iceman by far, and the overall casting is on point. Fuck you if you think Ellen Paige, Kelsey Grammer, and Vinnie Jones weren't on goddamned point. Movie's fun as hell, and you can't convince me otherwise. Plus Ratner gets a pass due to the pure fuckery that went on behind the scenes.
-FC is just a good movie. Cheesy, but fun. Granted, it has portrayals that I don't agree with: Banshee and Moira are chief among them. I still feel it's a well-made and solid movie that embraces the Silver-Age era, which is when it takes place. Also top tier casting. Kevin Bacon tha god.
-DoFP is decent. Good action and character moments with, quite honestly, a very flawed plot. Wolverine exists in there to drive plot and makes it the Xavier/Magneto/Mystique show. Everyone is a bunch of mopey sons of bitches. God, so mopey.
-Apoc is boring as fuck and only superhero movie I have ever been disappointed by in my entire life. A couple of the fights and the Quicksilver scene is all that's worth seeing in that movie. Like DoFP on dramamine.
Apocalypse solves that issue while MCU just said "OH YEAH, HE CAN BASICALLY END EVERYTHING, fuck it, end him."
Solves what issue? Everyone bitches about the MCU having shit villains and Apoc is no different.
How was Remender's X-Force?
Top tier comics. Combine that with his Uncanny Avengers run for one of my favorite sagas in comics.
How about everyone list a comic book reading goal for this week and by next sunday I will see if everyone completed it.

I'm looking at Green Lantern: Blackest Night, my floppies, Red Lanterns Vol. 5, and Buffy S8 Vol. 4.
Looks like Joe Mad aping Dini. I dig it.

JEKKI

Oh whaaaat I jus read Deadly Class # 21...

is there gonna be a # 22??

been googling, I can't find any info on the next issue, nor any confirmation that this was the last one.

TheFlow

Banned
Comic book goals 6/2-6/12
TheFlow- hellboy vol 2-12
Brianfellows- finish superior foes
Sandfox- catch up on Sex Criminals or finish reading Fraction's Hawkeye.
Echoshifting- I will have ten or less books to finish in Comixology by next Sunday.
Bkatastrophe- Green Lantern: Blackest Night, my floppies, Red Lanterns Vol. 5, and Buffy S8 Vol. 4.

Oh whaaaat I jus read Deadly Class # 21...

is there gonna be a # 22??

been googling, I can't find any info on the next issue, nor any confirmation that this was the last one.
there will be more

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Reading B.P.R.D killing ground #2

When did Johann get a human body?

Edit: I'm guessing it's one of those bodies from the Garden of the souls storyline. But is it shown where he gets the body?

Yeah, that was a FANTASTIC scene, though it does sort of raise questions like "why not just get this kid to do everything."

no doubt, such a fun character to watch in the xmen movies. singer the GOAT at superpower showcases in film (nightcrawler, blink, quicksilver, superman plane rescue). i'm glad they had that later scene with apocalypse to show that he can be stopped though.

justice league movie needs to take a page from that book and do something with the flash like this. (he's a young kid, prolly immature going by ezra miller's casting. some fuckery must happen)

speaking of which I'm looking forward to that flash rebirth issue. I heard the new 52 run was boring as hell so a new creative team should be cool.

Lashley

no doubt, such a fun character to watch in the xmen movies. singer the GOAT at superpower showcases in film (nightcrawler, blink, quicksilver, superman plane rescue). i'm glad they had that later scene with apocalypse to show that he can be stopped though.

justice league movie needs to take a page from that book and do something with the flash like this. (he's a young kid, prolly immature going by ezra miller's casting. some fuckery must happen)

speaking of which I'm looking forward to that flash rebirth issue. I heard the new 52 run was boring as hell so a new creative team should be cool.
aftwr reading new 52 flash I cannot wait for rebirth flash!

No chance in hell its not at least an improvement

Messi

Comic book goals 6/2-6/12
TheFlow- hellboy vol 2-12
Brianfellows- finish superior foes
Sandfox- catch up on Sex Criminals or finish reading Fraction's Hawkeye.
Echoshifting- I will have ten or less books to finish in Comixology by next Sunday.
Bkatastrophe- Green Lantern: Blackest Night, my floppies, Red Lanterns Vol. 5, and Buffy S8 Vol. 4.

there will be more

My comicgaf goal for the week is to get over 30 kills with Tracer in Overwatch. I believe I can succeed.

Lashley

About to read Hellboy The Crooked Man. It feels weird reading about Hellboy again after getting so used to the B.P.R.D characters.

*sees top left*

IN.

Haha no

It's Firestorm.

Surprised people didn't like the yearbook arc of Gotham academy. From the little I flipped though of it that was some really indie shit and not in the semi faux indie shit like sex criminals and batgirl is.

Most people I've talked to have really enjoyed it, fwiw. There was a certain amount of trepidation going in, but it's worked out really well.

About to read Hellboy The Crooked Man. It feels weird reading about Hellboy again after getting so used to the B.P.R.D characters.

That's what I like about reading them in "order". Each book is so distinct, but still really pulls together the overall universe.

Mignolaverse >>>>>>>>> *

VanWinkle

East of West Year One OHC. Will likely read more than that. But I like to pace myself somewhat.

Comics goal for this week - come back alive from business trip to read comics. Traveling to some <2000 population town somewhere in interior Illinois. Seems like some Fargo type of town where main street has one hardware store and one diner and one pizza place.

Messi

Comics goal for this week - come back alive from business trip to read comics. Traveling to some <2000 population town somewhere in interior Illinois. Seems like some Fargo type of town where main street has one hardware store and one diner and one pizza place.

Are you gonna eat in the diner or the pizza place?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sounds like a place where everyone is related :D

Owzers

Yayyyyyyy another remaster of a game I played was announced. Going to sink 50 hours redoing everything I already did.

ElNarez

Banned
still blows my mind how things are coming together in the newest casanova goddamn

it's all gonna go down because of The Actual Volume Of Gula You Can Buy From Image Comics Right now and fuck I love this SO MUCH

LFG

Neophyte
Lots of comics to pick up next week! This week though, Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and might try Detective Comics #934

Top Bottom