• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Does anyone know if you can retroactively upgrade your Marvel Unlimited subscription? I want to get a Plus account as buying comics digitally has become a bit more enticing.

frye

Deadly Class Major Spoilers from that interview:
Wow, I really didn't think they went and killed Marcus at the end there. Honestly, that kind of puts me off on the book now. I also very much misunderstood the Petra/Billie exchange. Probably need to read the arc again, but I thought Petra figured out that Billie was the one who called and poisoned him for that. She was the one who called? Man, everyone you could root for is just dead? That really does put me in a bad place with this series, even though I loved it. I trust in Remender and Wes enough to follow up with the next arc when it starts, but wow. Kind of turned off of it right now. Anyone else feel that way?

yeah, i wasn't totally sure what was happening when i read it but
there's a part in the previous issue where marcus tells her to look out for billie so i figured she just caught on to something but apparently not!!

TheFlow

Banned
Hellboy: Wake the devil.

I have now re-read the first two volumes of hellboy since 2012, and glad to know they hold up so well. I am tired of reading about nazis but the supernatural twist made it enjoyable.

5/5

10 more volumes to go

Does anyone know if you can retroactively upgrade your Marvel Unlimited subscription? I want to get a Plus account as buying comics digitally has become a bit more enticing.

They have an upgrade to plus option on the website, but buyer beware. You almost always have to call them to get it done correctly. In my case, I used one of the discount sales to try and renew my account for an extra year, even though I had three months left on my current sub. Instead of adding it on the back end, they immediately charged my credit card and started the new membership. Bye bye, three months of current sub.

I had to call them to get it sorted out.

They have an upgrade to plus option on the website, but buyer beware. You almost always have to call them to get it done correctly. In my case, I used one of the discount sales to try and renew my account for an extra year, even though I had three months left on my current sub. Instead of adding it on the back end, they immediately charged my credit card and started the new membership. Bye bye, three months of current sub.

I had to call them to get it sorted out.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
BPRD: Hell on Earth - The Broken Equation

How the fuck is Hell on Earth so good!?

I'm waiting on the trade for Hellboy in Hell, so don't spoil it for me, because I hear that Hell on Earth, Hellboy in Hell, and Abe Sapien kinda meet at the end, I hope Hellboy comes to fuck shit up at the end of Hell on Earth.

Probably not but It'd be the hypest shit ever.

Ya'll better watch your backs. Freeza gonna be playing Overwatch tonight since he has to wait an extra day for his goddamn Odin Sphere storybook edition.

TheFlow

Banned
Hellboy: the chained coffins in others

One of my favorites because it is a collection of hellboys past adventures starting age 2 leading up to seed of destruction. Hellboy seing an vision of his father is one hell of a moment.

5/5

9 more to go

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished reading Hellboy The Troll Witch & Others

It was good, but I think it may be the weakest of the collections

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont think so. I believe its the same thing with Hickman. Probably a combination of burnout and success at Image leading to better income potential long term
I really hope they get some big names back when Marvel Now starts. Really afraid because their current line up lacks AAA writer.

I dont think so. I believe its the same thing with Hickman. Probably a combination of burnout and success at Image leading to better income potential long term

I think I remember both of them saying they'd come back for Star Wars. Not a spin-off, but basically the book Jason Aaron is writing.

I am ok with everyone else. Just get someone who is AAA.

Which AAA writer would you like to see at Marvel that hasn't already written for them?

In the last decade, Marvel's been a great incubator of writing talent. Almost all the top writers at Image came out of Marvel...Actually, which Image writer with success didn't start at Marvel? John Layman (Chew) and Tim Seeley (Revival)?

fauxtrot

Banned
What about an AAAA writer? What is the difference between AAA and AA?

If Marvel was smart, they'd have snatched Tom King up and never let go.

Sandfox

Over the weekend I went to an Apple store and a Microsoft store to try out the iPad Pro and the Surface Pro 4, respectively.
I ended up ordering the Surface Pro 4 off Amazon (because it was cheaper and no tax), because if I was gonna spend that much money, I might as well get a laptop as well (I've been passively thinking about getting one for the past several months).

It does suck that there's no native app support, so I won't be able to save offline, without using some workarounds, but what made you decide to get the iPad Pro over the Surface Pro 4 (if that was even a consideration for you)?

I love that they finally implemented the ability to continue a Discover series from the comic you are reading in a Discover series. Instead of having to go back and find the next comic in the Discover series.

I've found that website through a Google search or two. What's bad about it, seems like a decent resource.
The community just seems toxic to me.
What about an AAAA writer? What is the difference between AAA and AA?

If Marvel was smart, they'd have snatched Tom King up and never let go.
Marvel was going to put him on more stuff, but he's friends with Snyder and DC gave him Batman.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Which AAA writer would you like to see at Marvel that hasn't already written for them?
Since the couple of Image OHCs I buy but never read are mostly Ex-Marvel Guys I have no idea.

I just wish Marvel would buys a couple of DC guys, I would like to see what a Snyder would do with Marvel Streetlevel folks
Daredevil
I know, not going to happen, but it would be interesting to see.
The only AAAs that they have left are Aaron, Waid and Bendis...

Will be interesting to see what is for example going to happen with Amazing Spider-Man when Slott really leaves the book in fall. I dont want another maybe good but not really known writer on that book. Its like with the art, the current dude is good but its a so big title that deserves a artist that has big reputation.

Sandfox

Since the couple of Image OHCs I buy but never read are mostly Ex-Marvel Guys I have no idea.

I just wish Marvel would buys a couple of DC guys, I would like to see what a Snyder would do with Marvel Streetlevel folks
Daredevil
I know, not going to happen, but it would be interesting to see.
The only AAAs that they have left are Aaron, Waid and Bendis...
That's what Marvel did with Lemire and Soule lol.

fauxtrot

Banned
I think Marvel has been smart to hire up-and-coming writers while sales numbers are hot and being helped by Star Wars comics as well. Hopefully they're putting forth a considerable amount of effort to help some of these younger writers grow so they will be in OK shape when the bubble inevitably bursts once again.

In the last decade, Marvel's been a great incubator of writing talent. Almost all the top writers at Image came out of Marvel...Actually, which Image writer with success didn't start at Marvel? John Layman (Chew) and Tim Seeley (Revival)?

BKV
Kirkman
Rucka
Lemire
Lots?

Messi

I think Marvel has been smart to hire up-and-coming writers while sales numbers are hot and being helped by Star Wars comics as well. Hopefully they're putting forth a considerable amount of effort to help some of these younger writers grow so they will be in OK shape when the bubble inevitably bursts once again.

Who would these young up and coming writers be other than Kate Leth (whos book is struggling)

Messi

I am not entirely sure that Margurite Bennet isn't a CIA agent or the Queen of an underground band of human eating insects.

Kevin Wada SLAYING on commissions again!

Catwoman
Early 60s, Breakfast at Tiffany’s fashionization
CkXWcHtUYAEfyAK.jpg

Alana and some dude

ChioX6sU4AAH3kX.jpg

fauxtrot

Banned
Who would these young up and coming writers be other than Kate Leth (whos book is struggling)

Al Ewing, David Walker, Nick Spencer, etc... not saying they're brand new to writing comics but Marvel is at least giving some of these guys the ball and letting them run with it to see if they've got what it takes to become writers people will follow no matter what title they're put on, like Aaron, Fraction, Hickman, and Remender.

Sandfox

Yeah, I dunno, they arent really in the same league like a Snyder or a Hickman or a Brubaker IMO. I was speaking if a really high profile writer.

The guys you mentioned built their way up through the work they did at Marvel and DC and the trend for those guys seems to be Image for obvious reasons.

fauxtrot

Banned
Yeah, I dunno, they arent really in the same league like a Snyder or a Hickman or a Brubaker IMO. I was speaking if a really high profile writer.

As long as the current structure of American comics is around, you're not going to see guys like this (that can sell a book on their name alone) working with Marvel or DC unless they really want to do so. They make more money, have far more (likely 100% or close to that) creative control, and get to own the rights to the things they create at Image. Why would they ever want to go back to Marvel, even if Marvel throws money at them?

Messi

Al Ewing, David Walker, Nick Spencer, etc... not saying they're brand new to writing comics but Marvel is at least giving some of these guys the ball and letting them run with it to see if they've got what it takes to become writers people will follow no matter what title they're put on, like Aaron, Fraction, Hickman, and Remender.

Oh I wasn't shitting on you. I am actually curious. I would love to see what female writers they are pushing. Becky Cloonan is one for sure.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
As long as the current structure of American comics is around, you're not going to see guys like this (that can sell a book on their name alone) working with Marvel or DC unless they really want to do so. They make more money have far more creative control, and get to own the rights to the things they create at Image. Why would they ever want to go back to Marvel, even if Marvel throws money at them?
Because when they have good contracts they still get good money.
My other point would be that they could work with characters they like and adore, but maybe thats a little bit naive to see it.

Top Bottom