• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Just compulsively bought an iPad Pro 12.9

Oh oh

Over the weekend I went to an Apple store and a Microsoft store to try out the iPad Pro and the Surface Pro 4, respectively.
I ended up ordering the Surface Pro 4 off Amazon (because it was cheaper and no tax), because if I was gonna spend that much money, I might as well get a laptop as well (I've been passively thinking about getting one for the past several months).

It does suck that there's no native app support, so I won't be able to save offline, without using some workarounds, but what made you decide to get the iPad Pro over the Surface Pro 4 (if that was even a consideration for you)?

MU update is godlike

I love that they finally implemented the ability to continue a Discover series from the comic you are reading in a Discover series. Instead of having to go back and find the next comic in the Discover series.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the CBR forums.

I've found that website through a Google search or two. What's bad about it, seems like a decent resource.

TheFlow

Banned
CBR forums are better than this thread when it comes to comics. I always drive by to look at physical collections and ideas on what to purchase next

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Got about 5 issues left of Hawkeyes.

Kate's adventures in L.A are cool

I thought the same thing. The Rockford Files inspiration is especially strong during that arc, and I love it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I hate the Royal Mail

Over the weekend I went to an Apple store and a Microsoft store to try out the iPad Pro and the Surface Pro 4, respectively.
I ended up ordering the Surface Pro 4 off Amazon (because it was cheaper and no tax), because if I was gonna spend that much money, I might as well get a laptop as well (I've been passively thinking about getting one for the past several months).

It does suck that there's no native app support, so I won't be able to save offline, without using some workarounds, but what made you decide to get the iPad Pro over the Surface Pro 4 (if that was even a consideration for you)?

Already have a laptop, only use my tablet for comics, so it was a no brainer

I'm close to pulling the trigger on Aquaman, but I still have a zillion TMNT books to read, 10 more Batman Inc books to finish the Morrison run, and the last half of Snyder's Batman.

Think I'll pass for now. Gotta clear up that backlog. Luckily, I'll be working a weird shift the rest of this week which could free me up for some Comixology fun.
You should finish Batman Inc.

Hagi

That shade.

I'm going to try and get through some of my backlog this week.

Deadly Class volume 1-3
East of West year 1
Gundam the Origin whole series

Hopefully I can get a little progress done because I have 3 library editions of hellboy and 3 brpd volumes to read at some point as well.

I hate the Royal Mail

Everybody does.

Think I'll pass for now. Gotta clear up that backlog. Luckily, I'll be working a weird shift the rest of this week which could free me up for some Comixology fun.

I've given up hope of ever clearing my backlog. I buy books faster than I can read them. But I've been making a lot of progress in the last few weeks. Mostly in the manga department, though.

I kid I kid. I like this thread more than CBR. But I still use CBR forums because those guys are hardcore about physical collections from all over the world

What!? Really? I can kinda understand people wanting to play with foreign Magic: The Gathering cards because at least for popular cards you'll know what they do just by recognizing the artwork.

But foreign comics seems really counter intuitive, unless you just want it as a collector's item, I suppose. Do enough people really want foreign comics to make them a collector's item?

Owzers

American books printed in Mexico right? or Canada?

Luckily i don't read the trades i buy so i just assume they are made in America.

Speaking of trades, i should really get around to finishing Fraction's Hawkeye series, i stopped reading my print issues in favor of waiting on the vol 2 OHC but then never read it leaving me having not read the final four issues of the series. I bet it's good.

I said I wasnt sure about The Boys, but here I am on volume 6.

Sometimes it feels like it's trying too hard to be dark, violent, and edgy, but there are some pretty interesting politics and characters.

Will need to take a break though to try out the $1 tier humble ghostbusters comic bundle issues to see if it's worth the full purchase.

TheFlow

Banned
Hawkeye omnibus

Great great great great read! There was a ton of stand out issues that I havent seen done in a marvel book before. I thought I was going to hate the kate solo but ended up loving it. She can easily do a solo book at this point. Madame masque and the other inclusion of avengers/shield was cool too.

The main story was cool and the bros were funny goons. Clints brother was a good inclusion. The clown hit man was legit scary.

The art was good, but the panels and the way the arrows moved arc is the page was lovely.

Kate bishop is now a favorite mine and Clint is cool but never was a fan of him.

5/5

Riptwo

I had an I5/8GB RAM Surface Pro 3 that I bought for largely the same reasons as you, though Comixology actually had a (terrible) app for it at the time. I ended up selling it after less than a year and moving to the iPad Pro on release. The SP3 was kind of the worst of the laptop and tablet worlds; it was a slow, glitchy laptop with poor battery life, and it was also a clunky tablet with no app support. It was ultra frustrating to never know if it would actually wake up from sleep or if I'd end up having to force restart it, and there were a ton of times when I'd go to read comics in bed and then end up spending 20 minutes troubleshooting my tablet before giving up and just going to sleep.

I miss some things about it (i.e. easy access to USB sticks and zero workarounds with file management), but for every one thing it did right, it did ten others very, very wrong. It's possible that the SP4 fixed everything wrong with the 3, but I think I'm back in the iOS fold for the foreseeable future!

I had an I5/8GB RAM Surface Pro 3 that I bought for largely the same reasons as you, though Comixology actually had a (terrible) app for it at the time. I ended up selling it after less than a year and moving to the iPad Pro on release. The SP3 was kind of the worst of the laptop and tablet worlds; it was a slow, glitchy laptop with poor battery life, and it was also a clunky tablet with no app support. It was ultra frustrating to never know if it would actually wake up from sleep or if I'd end up having to force restart it, and there were a ton of times when I'd go to read comics in bed and then end up spending 20 minutes troubleshooting my tablet before giving up and just going to sleep.

I miss some things about it (i.e. easy access to USB sticks and zero workarounds with file management), but for every one thing it did right, it did ten others very, very wrong. It's possible that the SP4 fixed everything wrong with the 3, but I think I'm back in the iOS fold for the foreseeable future!

This is my biggest fear getting the SP4, but I'm hoping for the best. One of the things iOS doesn't seem to be able to do is just annotate on a PDF (using the stylus/pen).

My second use for this SP4 is gonna be to use it for as my character sheet in D&D.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
This is my biggest fear getting the SP4, but I'm hoping for the best. One of the things iOS doesn't seem to be able to do is just annotate on a PDF (using the stylus/pen).

Not natively, which is a common and annoying thread with iOS in general, but there are apps that do it. PDF Expert is a good one (with an unfortunately ugly icon).

You should finish Batman Inc.

Planning on it very soon. At least by this weekend.

I've given up hope of ever clearing my backlog. I buy books faster than I can read them. But I've been making a lot of progress in the last few weeks. Mostly in the manga department, though.

I'll typically go a week without reading anything in my backlog, then completing 2-3 series in the course of a day or two. It all comes down to how gripping a story is. I read all of American Vampire in a day. All of Locke and Key in two days. There will always be a backlog, but I end up crushing big chunks of it before letting it build back up.

Latest goals are to finish Morrison Batman, finish Snyder Batman, and then hit up all of the TMNT books I purchased (three trades down already). But for some reason I decided to catch up on Ant-Man's adventures in Miami so that's what I read last night.

I said I wasnt sure about The Boys, but here I am on volume 6.

Sometimes it feels like it's trying too hard to be dark, violent, and edgy, but there are some pretty interesting politics and characters.

I read the full run of The Boys on my last stint in Afghanistan. There were a handful of issues where Ennis managed to escape the try-hard parody realm and actually achieve proper satire, but they were far and few between. It wasn't for me. Ennis on the Punisher and Preacher are fantastic, but he loses me elsewhere.

Not natively, which is a common and annoying thread with iOS in general, but there are apps that do it. PDF Expert is a good one (with an unfortunately ugly icon).

Does it preserve the fillable text on a PDF? My D&D character sheet has formulas on it so that when you fill in a certain field it'll automatically fill out other parts of the form.

The guys I talked to at Apple said that the iPads could only draw over copies of the PDF (i.e. it would lose the fillable text layer).

Wouldn't be the first time Apple employees didn't know everything, though I guess my use case is a little bit more of an edge case, though how rare is annotating a fillable PDF?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Does it preserve the fillable text on a PDF? My D&D character sheet has formulas on it so that when you fill in a certain field it'll automatically fill out other parts of the form.

The guys I talked to at Apple said that the iPads could only draw over copies of the PDF (i.e. it would lose the fillable text layer).

Wouldn't be the first time Apple employees didn't know everything, though I guess my use case is a little bit more of an edge case, though how rare is annotating a fillable PDF?

Ah, I don't know about that. When I've used it, it's been to annotate on top of scripts, so I don't have to worry about that.

Remender did an interview on Deadly Class #21 and the future of the series

Major spoilers for 21 so don't read unless you're caught up.

(also obvious major spoilers)
I was not expecting him to straight kill off the main character up to this point. Wonder if the main character will be Saya now. The next arc sounds really interesting with the new characters being introduced and how they're framing the survivors as the bad guys. I think it's pretty cool how up until this arc, the school wasn't really utilized that much. Great way to build suspense and hit the readers with this crazy cliffhanger to reveal the true nature of it along with the series.

Deadly Class Major Spoilers from that interview:
Wow, I really didn't think they went and killed Marcus at the end there. Honestly, that kind of puts me off on the book now. I also very much misunderstood the Petra/Billie exchange. Probably need to read the arc again, but I thought Petra figured out that Billie was the one who called and poisoned him for that. She was the one who called? Man, everyone you could root for is just dead? That really does put me in a bad place with this series, even though I loved it. I trust in Remender and Wes enough to follow up with the next arc when it starts, but wow. Kind of turned off of it right now. Anyone else feel that way?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Finch is going to make it really hard to like half of King's Batman.

CkXesH8WgAAVo-J.jpg

Top Bottom