• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

fauxtrot

Banned
Oh I wasn't shitting on you. I am actually curious. I would love to see what female writers they are pushing. Becky Cloonan is one for sure.

Unfortunately, Marvel just recently realized it needs to start representing race and gender more equally in their titles, so I think we're a little ways off before we see them commit to actually doing the same with their creative staff, not to mention showing they're not afraid to have LGBT characters more prominent than on their fringe titles.

Sandfox

Unfortunately, Marvel just recently realized it needs to start representing race and gender more equally in their titles, so I think we're a ways off before we see them really commit to actually doing the same with their creative staff, not to mention showing they're not afraid to have LGBT characters more prominent than on their fringe titles.

I wouldn't go that far because Marvel has quite a few female and minority creators working for them now.

fauxtrot

Banned
I wouldn't go that far because Marvel has quite a few female and minority creators working for them now.

It's gotten a lot better in the last year or two for sure, but I still think they can do more and hope they don't feel complacent with how much progress they did make in a relatively short amount of time.

Sandfox

It's gotten a lot better in the last year or two for sure, but I still think they can do more and hope they don't feel complacent with how much progress they did make in a relatively short amount of time.

I'm not saying it's enough, but I don't agree with the idea that they aren't committed to it.

My favorite thing about some older comics? The melodramatic yellow narration boxes.

I know they've gone out of style but sometimes they just put a smile on my face.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm not saying it's enough, but I don't agree with the idea that they aren't committed to it.

I'd love to see them hire a female writer for a popular male-led book (and then not publicize it all to hell on The View as this great accomplishment, that'd be even better.). They're making great strides but they're still doing the thing where African Americans and women are put onto books that are African American or woman-led titles, respectively.

Has a woman ever written Captain America or one of the many (Peter Parker led) Spider-Man titles? Or even someone like the Hulk? How about an African American? I'm honestly curious.

tim1138

I think the biggest shift for creators, particularly with Marvel, is that young artists and writers don't see big two work as the best all end all of a career in comics. More and more, the young creators are using big two work to get financially solvent enough to fund creator owned work. Y'all were talking about Kate Leth before, I've seen her tweet that the only reason she doesn't have an Image book yet is that she can't afford to launch one, but when she can she will. Unless Image collapses, or by some miracle Marvel and DC can turn Icon and Vertigo into legitimate creator owned imprints, this is going to be the new reality. The Johns', Bendis', and Slotts of the world will become even more scarce.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

fauxtrot

Banned
Thanks

Ann Nocenti worked on Amazing Spider-Man and there was another woman whose name I sadly forgot. Also not sure what her position was, but Stan Lee spoke in high tones about her.

All decades ago.

Good call, Nocenti did work on a few Spider-Man titles in the late 80s / early 90s, but they were mostly 1 off issues in between larger arcs written by men. The longest run I can find was 3 consecutive issues (Peter Parker: Spider-Man #29-31).

tim1138

I'd love to see them hire a female writer for a popular male-led book (and then not publicize it all to hell on The View as this great accomplishment, that'd be even better.). They're making great strides but they're still doing the thing where African Americans and women are put onto books that are African American or woman-led titles, respectively.

Has a woman ever written Captain America or one of the many (Peter Parker led) Spider-Man titles? Or even someone like the Hulk? How about an African American? I'm honestly curious.

I know both Ann Nocenti and Weezie Simonson have written Spidey in the past. Weezie also had a super long wrong on X-Factor (she created Apocalypse) and New Mutants among others.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Good call, Nocenti did work on a few Spider-Man titles in the late 80s / early 90s, but they were mostly 1 off issues in between larger arcs written by men. The longest run I can find was 3 consecutive issues (Peter Parker: Spider-Man #29-31).
Isnt Life in a Mad Dogs Ward completly by her? She is the only writer who gets credit on the cover IIRC.

Also dont let us forget her acclaimed run on Daredevil.

fauxtrot

Banned
I know both Ann Nocenti and Weezie Simonson have written Spidey in the past. Weezie also had a super long wrong on X-Factor (she created Apocalypse) and New Mutants among others.

Ah, yeah, she wrote Web of Spider-man #1-3... about the same as Nocenti, a few one-offs here and there and then a 3 issue run.

Nocenti's Daredevil run and Weezie's X-Factor / New Mutants are the closest I've found to a woman having an ongoing w/ a high level Marvel series... it's better than nothing, I guess?

I keep mine at home the whole time, unless on vacation and that's pretty rare. I don't grow tired of holding the iPad Pro in long stretches but I also use my body a lot to prop it up or lay it on me as I'm usually sitting or laying down. I'd say the weight is about what the original iPad weight was back in the day. It took me about a day getting used to the larger size and then I was fine. It'd be really tough to go back. There's enough view space that the multi pane feature is actually useful. Might want to check it out in the apple store and see for yourself

Just catching up. Thanks for the info. I have handled one in store and after using the air 2 sing August the 50% increase seems like a lot. I will see what they do with the seconded iteration of it.

El Topo

The Wicked + The Divine #20
So obvious, so simple. I did not see that coming. Well played, Gillen. Well played. Great issue.
Nergal. Lol.

tim1138

Ah, yeah, she wrote Web of Spider-man #1-3... about the same as Nocenti, a few one-offs here and there and then a 3 issue run.

Nocenti's Daredevil run and Weezie's X-Factor / New Mutants are the closest I've found to a woman having an ongoing w/ a high level Marvel series... it's better than nothing, I guess?

Basically since the dawn of cape comics and the Silver Age, the industry has largely been a boys club. If you go back to the Golden Age, women creators were not uncommon at all.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Howards drawn by James Harren is the biggest badass in BPRD.
dUpUijz.jpg

frye

The three biggish female writers at Marvel in the 80s (Simonson/Nocenti/Jo Duffy) all started as editors before transitioning into writing. So did Jim Owsley (now Christopher Priest). You still have a decently-sized pool of female editors at Marvel (or did, a few years ago) but that transition rarely happens anymore outside of oddities like Flashpoint or if your name is Dan Didio.

Also, Daredevil is at least as big as Hulk... Nocenti started writing right after Born Again too, so this isn't when he's a trash version of Spider-Man either. Simonson on early the X-Men spinoffs when it's the most popular comic in the world and before there were a million books feels significant too.

Nocenti Daredevil was the first book I ever read. It was glorious. Very dark, very poetic, and very moving. I haven't kept up with her work since then, but her Daredevil stint was glorious. Creepy and great. Really top notch art.

689663-blkheart.jpg

fauxtrot

Banned
The three biggish female writers at Marvel in the 80s (Simonson/Nocenti/Jo Duffy) all started as editors before transitioning into writing. So did Jim Owsley (now Christopher Priest). You still have a decently-sized pool of female editors at Marvel (or did, a few years ago) but that transition rarely happens anymore outside of oddities like Flashpoint or if your name is Dan Didio.

Also, Daredevil is at least as big as Hulk... Nocenti started writing right after Born Again too, so this isn't when he's a trash version of Spider-Man either. Simonson on early the X-Men spinoffs when it's the most popular comic in the world and before there were a million books feels significant too.

That's a good point. Back then there was probably still that mentality of "there just aren't any good female comics writers" too, which we know is one of those recursive mindsets that has kept people out of the industry long enough.

tim1138

I completely forgot about Jo Duffy. She had that long run on Power Man and Iron Fist, wrote a bunch of Star Wars comics when they were originally with Marvel, and more relevant to my interests did that weird Fallen Angels miniseries. She also wrote Catwoman for DC in the early 90s.

frye

That's a good point. Back then there was probably still that mentality of "there just aren't any good female comics writers" too, which we know is one of those recursive mindsets that has kept people out of the industry long enough.

I think the really interesting thing about 80's Marvel vs now is that you didn't really have "well you're black/a lady so we'll put you on the black/lady book" thing you kinda have now. There's a funny anecdote where Christopher Priest (who ended up quitting comic because of that) talks about how when Joe Quesada called him up for Marvel Knights he was super excited because he thought he was gonna get Daredevil. He was actually really disappointed when they offered him Black Panther instead cuz he thought the character sucked at the time. It took a while for him to realize he wasn't going to get to write Spider-Man/Wolverine etc comics again like he did in the 80s when they only gave him stuff like Captain America and the Falcon or The Crew.

KevinCow

Banned
I just picked up and read the latest issue of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. That was wonderful and adorable. Apparently the trade with the first 6 issues comes out next month, so I can't wait for that.

Aw yea!! CMX and marvel have finally finished adding the rest of Peter David's Hulk run on the store. Now to wait for the next Line wide and finish out one of my CMX library wish list items I've been wanting for years!

Aw yea!! CMX and marvel have finally finished adding the rest of Peter David's Hulk run on the store. Now to wait for the next Line wide and finish out one of my CMX library wish list items I've been wanting for years!

When are they going to release the next Peter David X-Factor complete collection. It's been ages.

tim1138

Oh nice. That will all be mine next time Marvel has a huge sale.

Owzers

Trump Foreign Policy: I have literally no idea what i'm talking about.

edit: Sillymonkey Posting Policy: I thought I was in the politics thread.

Foofaraw

I think the really interesting thing about 80's Marvel vs now is that you didn't really have "well you're black/a lady so we'll put you on the black/lady book" thing you kinda have now. There's a funny anecdote where Christopher Priest (who ended up quitting comic because of that) talks about how when Joe Quesada called him up for Marvel Knights he was super excited because he thought he was gonna get Daredevil. He was actually really disappointed when they offered him Black Panther instead cuz he thought the character sucked at the time. It took a while for him to realize he wasn't going to get to write Spider-Man/Wolverine etc comics again like he did in the 80s when they only gave him stuff like Captain America and the Falcon or The Crew.

Didn't he manage to make Black Panther a more worthwhile book/character in the process? Huge bummer that he didn't get his dream books when he was obviously great.

shingi70

Banned
I mean we've been conditioned to believe that minoroty and female creators have to work on the characters like them. People were surprised that priest is on deathstroke and not cyborg.

frye

Didn't he manage to make Black Panther a more worthwhile book/character in the process? Huge bummer that he didn't get his dream books when he was obviously great.

yeah, he just wasn't a fan of the character (or at the very least had a negative perception of the character) before working on the book.

e: AAA writer as a term is out of place for comics, i think

Owzers

Bendis Iron Man #4: We're on the forth issue and this book has done nothing, i still find it a fun MU read but very shallow.

mreddie

Bendis Iron Man #4: We're on the forth issue and this book has done nothing, i still find it a fun MU read but very shallow.

Drop it after 5-6, that arc is meh.

Also, yes, Marvel is gathering up stock so those writers can be notable later on, it's already working with Arron and Ewing.

Sandfox

That's Bendis for you.

Drop it after 5-6, that arc is meh.

Also, yes, Marvel is gathering up stock so those writers can be notable later on, it's already working with Arron and Ewing.
Jason Aaron is Marvel's best name right now besides Bendis and Aaron sells better than him.

mreddie

Small Bendis is are better than Large Bendis where he gives no fucks and ruins books because I NEED IMPACT

Jason Aaron is Marvel's best name right now besides Bendis and Aaron sells better than him.

Spencer too but Glories was a mess and Fix is still new.

Owzers

i still look at Bendis' All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men with absolute disdain for how unambitious and grossly superficial the plotting was across so many issues.

Great art though! 7/10.

Messi

Been reading lil justice league for a couple years and haven't seen anyone here talk about it.
http://www.limbero.org/jl8/comics/1.jpeg[/mg]
[img]http://www.limbero.org/jl8/comics/21.jpeg[img][/QUOTE]

We don't really talk about JL8 after the dick picks stuff that happened with Yale Stewart. I used to read it though. I liked the little Power Girl and Wonder Woman

TheFlow

Banned
We don't really talk about JL8 after the dick picks stuff that happened with Yale Stewart. I used to read it though. I liked the little Power Girl and Wonder Woman
Wtf!! What that happened? Oh man. And yea agreed the dynamic between Wonder Woman and power girl was great.

JTripper

No pulls tomorrow for me but I hope my shop finally gets in my copies of Y The Last Man vol 2 and DD End of Days I've had on order since January......

Top Bottom