• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Aren't New issues of The Fix and Justice League supposed to come out today as well? Seems like everything is up on comixology except for those. So strange.

Image doesn't put their stuff up as early as Marvel or DC. It should be up in an hour or two.

ElNarez

Banned
I've finished reading Wacky Raceland

I don't actively hate it

it

it actually works

it's a bit dumb, but it actually works

Hagi

Yo WicDev volume 1 was fantastic. The writing is great, the way characters talk all seems to just flow naturally but tinged with some added acidic wit. The whole set-up is just really interesting and the art follows suit.
I'm a little sad that Luci bit the dust so early but as soon as she broke out of prison I knew what was going to happen.
The whole scene in the underground with Morganna and Baphomet was fucking insane and probably the coolest thing I've read all year. I love this book.

Zombine

Banned
I've finished reading Wacky Raceland

I don't actively hate it

it

it actually works

it's a bit dumb, but it actually works

Scooby Doo: Apocalypse was really the one that shocked me so far. I knew Future Quest would be good, but I was wicked down on SDA, after I read it I was like "Is this real life?"

I hope there is a one year (minimum) moratorium on the alternating now/then type of storytelling in a single issue. Every second comic seems to do that. Do the writers think that just using that technique automatically makes their comic more interesting?!

Aquaman showed potential. Actually, I have no complaints about the writing. It was great. It was great in a way of being new reader friendly. I guessed early on who was narrating the story. We have the fantastic Aurthur and Mera relationship which is Aquaman to me. The problem with this particular issue was the art. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. Hopefully that gets sorted out.

I hope there is a one year (minimum) moratorium on the alternating now/then type of storytelling in a single issue. Every second comic seems to do that. Do the writers think that just using that technique automatically makes their comic more interesting?!
I assume that they feel it's the best way to tell that particular story, considering they're storytellers

shingi70

Banned
You guys were surprised that Aquaman was good on the writing front? Abnett has been writing the series since issue 48 and it's been damn good.

You guys were surprised that Aquaman was good on the writing front? Abnett has been writing the series since issue 48 and it's been damn good.

Because it was Abnett playing in a sandbox that Cullen Bunn destroyed. I had no interest in reading a salvage story with ReBirth being around the corner.

I assume that they feel it's the best way to tell that particular story, considering they're storytellers

Maybe they should consider the medium and what others are doing in the medium too. Storytelling methods can (and do) feel played out. Like this Captain America and the Mighty Avengers last days issue I am reading right now. There are some nice moments but they aren't allowed to linger. we get an abrupt cut to "previous". It just seems to get in the way at times.

It is like the editing in a Michael bay movie. Might be interesting in small doses but if everyone keeps doing it, we get Tak3n.

shingi70

Banned
Because it was Abnett playing in a sandbox that Cullen Bunn destroyed. I had no interest in reading a salvage story with ReBirth being around the corner.

It really sets up the Rebirth run, and does a decent job at making Bunn's terrible run at least have some reverberations for the new run. The current state of Atlantis politics are solely based on what happened at the end of Bunn's run.

Banners Aquaman is good shit and in my top 3 books every month.

Maybe they should consider the medium and what others are doing in the medium too. Storytelling methods can (and do) feel played out. Like this Captain America and the Mighty Avengers last days issue I am reading right now. There are some nice moments but they aren't allowed to linger. we get an abrupt cut to "previous". It just seems to get in the way at times.

It is like the editing in a Michael bay movie. Might be interesting in small doses but if everyone keeps doing it, we get Tak3n.
So what you're really saying is that bad storytellers make bad stories and good ones make good stories?
And I was so stupid and processed it for me as Woman Thor.
Your innocence is why we love you

TheFlow

Banned
Aquaman showed potential. Actually, I have no complaints about the writing. It was great. It was great in a way of being new reader friendly. I guessed early on who was narrating the story. We have the fantastic Aurthur and Mera relationship which is Aquaman to me. The problem with this particular issue was the art. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. Hopefully that gets sorted out.

sums it up

So what you're really saying is that bad storytellers make bad stories and good ones make good stories?

No. You are just being reductionist now.

I am saying a 6/10 issue feels like a 4/10 issue for me now because of this overused way of storytelling.

In movie parlance - good scenes, decent story and bad screenplay.

I am not going to label the writer as a bad storyteller just for that because in comics he/she seems to do all three jobs.

Foofaraw

Won't be able to get my books until Friday. The pain is real.

Is that Cranston narrating the injustice trailer?

Should I jump on some of the Aquaman sale? Only 11 issues in on Snyder Batman and I really like it.

Brad Walker is regular artist. I fucking love that dude.

Tried readind Extraordinary X-Men and I don't think I'll be continuing it.

X-Men is just in such a weirdly depressing state where it seems like everytime I pick one up, they're trying to one-up the last big awful thing that happened to them.

ElNarez

Banned
the last Black Canary is pandering to me and especially me in a way I kinda resent?

it's like a "how the fuck dare you" kinda thing

you're literally just doing David Bowie references, all of it, all the time, and, man, that's too much FOR ME

e:
"My husband died alone in DEEP SPACE?" god FUCK YOU Fletcher, that's too fucking easy

But there was a comic from 1977 included in there, and man, comics back then were pretty bad, huh? The amount of unnecessary exposition and overexplaining things reminded me of that Magneto beaten by Mr. Fantastic with a wooden gun video from that thread the other day.

Eh, they have their charm. Some old Hulk comics narration damn near read like prose novels.

TheFlow

Banned
apparently the artist for aquaman is not the guy who will be working on the run. Thank God. will add to pull

LOL what is with DC not putting the real artist(s) on some of these rebirth books.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Olly Moss getting on dat Overwatch hype

Ckbv0EHXEAA0rt1.jpg

Ross61

apparently the artist for aquaman is not the guy who will be working on the run. Thank God. will add to pull

LOL what is with DC not putting the real artist(s) on some of these rebirth books.

Some artist where moreso preparing for the #1 instead. Gives them more more needed preparation ahead of time to keep on schedule.

So what's up with
the terrigen mist clouds?

I'm used to seeing terrigen mists in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. In the show, if you're not inhuman and you come into contact with the terrigen mist you die.

I guess that's different in the comic, but what happened that their is just a cloud of terrigen mist roaming the planet?

So what's up with
the terrigen mist clouds?

I'm used to seeing terrigen mists in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. In the show, if you're not inhuman and you come into contact with the terrigen mist you die.

I guess that's different in the comic, but what happened that their is just a cloud of terrigen mist roaming the planet?
Long story short: Black Bolt detonated a massive bomb of terrigen to both advance his race and fuck over Thanos. Terrigen isn't lethal in the comics, though extreme exposure to humans can cause them to mutate and die shortly after. Terrigen can also restore mutant powers, however the powers will be altered significantly and can be extremely difficult to control. Unus the Untouchable, for example, could generate an unbreakable forcefield. After he lost his powers, they were restored by terrigen, however they functioned differently and he couldn't control his forcefield and accidentally killed himself (the air couldn't touch him so he couldn't breathe). Quicksilver had his powers restored and while he couldn't move fast like he used to, he gained the ability to travel through time

Long story short: Black Bolt detonated a massive bomb of terrigen to both advance his race and fuck over Thanos. Terrigen isn't lethal in the comics, though extreme exposure to humans can cause them to mutate and die shortly after. Terrigen can also restore mutant powers, however the powers will be altered significantly and can be extremely difficult to control. Unus the Untouchable, for example, could generate an unbreakable forcefield. After he lost his powers, they were restored by terrigen, however they functioned differently and he couldn't control his forcefield and accidentally killed himself (the air couldn't touch him so he couldn't breathe). Quicksilver had his powers restored and while he couldn't move fast like he used to, he gained the ability to travel through time

Neat!

Quicksilver had his powers restored and while he couldn't move fast like he used to, he gained the ability to travel through time

Inb4 QuicksilverPoint Paradox, right guise, right?

shingi70

Banned
Met the Nintendo rep for my store today. Dude asked me what I was excited about and I gave him a somewhat deadpan when is NX coming out. Cool dude, even himself admitted that the Nintendo line up for this year is sparse and gave a good reason why Nintendo should wait for NX.

TheFlow

Banned
updated to show van finished like a boss

Comic book goals 6/5-6/12
TheFlow- hellboy vol 2-12
Brianfellows- finish superior foes
Sandfox- catch up on Sex Criminals or finish reading Fraction's Hawkeye.
Echoshifting- I will have ten or less books to finish in Comixology by next Sunday.
Bkatastrophe- Green Lantern: Blackest Night, my floppies, Red Lanterns Vol. 5, and Buffy S8 Vol. 4.
Vanwrinkle- East of west year one ohc
whatsinaname- survive business trip
Messi-overwatch lol
Launchpadmcq- overwatch lol
sillymonkey321- overwatch lol
zombine- overwatch lol
lashley- 3-5 hellboy books
Hagi-deadly class volume 1-3, east of west year 1, and gundam origin whole series.

VanWinkle

updated to show van finished like a boss

Comic book goals 6/5-6/12
TheFlow- hellboy vol 2-12
Brianfellows- finish superior foes
Sandfox- catch up on Sex Criminals or finish reading Fraction's Hawkeye.
Echoshifting- I will have ten or less books to finish in Comixology by next Sunday.
Bkatastrophe- Green Lantern: Blackest Night, my floppies, Red Lanterns Vol. 5, and Buffy S8 Vol. 4.
Vanwrinkle- East of west year one ohc
whatsinaname- survive business trip
Messi-overwatch lol
Launchpadmcq- overwatch lol
sillymonkey321- overwatch lol
zombine- overwatch lol
lashley- 3-5 hellboy books
Hagi-deadly class volume 1-3, east of west year 1, and gundam origin whole series.

Haha

Top Bottom