• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Vic_Viper

I know this is a comics threat but I was wondering if their were any good oversized hardcover editions for manga similar to a Dark Horse Library Edition or most omnibuses. I have a large copy of Akira Vol. 1 somewhere in storage and was looking for something similar to that for like Ghost in the Shell or Trigun. Anyone know if they even make something like that and if so where to find it and what they are referred to as so I can search? I kinda want to full set for Akira too but don't remember what it was called or who the publisher is.

Tragicomedy reviews Rebirth books!

Action Comics #957 - ★★★★ - Luthorman! Lois tried to teach her son not to use his powers to take the easy way out in life, only for Clark
to bounce laser beams off a mirror to...shave?!? Superman is a lazy mofo! How don't those just melt the freaking mirror?
Anyway, this book is a mess! But in all the best possible ways. It's unpredictable, silly, and pure fun. It goes from 0-60 within the first ten pages and doesn't let up. Loved it.

Aquaman: Rebirth - ★ - There might be a way to make Aquaman interesting, but this is definitely not it. Dull intro to a dull character doing dull aquatic things. This book includes a scene where
the protagonists discuss eating clam chowder
, and it's somehow not the most boring part of the book! Nope. Dropped.

Detective Comics #934 - ★★★★★ - This book is phenomenal. I mean, yeah, the art ranges from mediocre to absolutely terrible, but everything else is great! You've got a great cast of characters, a great setup, and the introduction of an intriguing villain. It's all here. This is the Batman book I want. I have no idea why Cassandra Cain is
dressed like fucking Black Panther!
Who cares? Loved it.

Flash: Rebirth - ★★★★ - I was a bit worried I was reading a rehash of DC Universe: Rebirth all over again. Williamson going for the exact same emotional tug lifted from a book we saw just two weeks ago was disappointing, but the book goes on to explore those concepts a heck of a lot more than I thought we'd see this early on. It looks like this will be one of the main books to tackle the Dr. Manhattan shenanigans going forward. I still think the entire Watchmen stuff is grade A bullshit, but at least DC isn't going to just leave it out there to rust. I just hope they stop with the whole, "We're being WATCHED" inanity. It seems we're headed for a flash team up with
Batman
, so that could be fun. A solid first book.

Wonder Woman: Rebirth - ★★ - Not a big fan of Rucka's writing on this intro. I realize where he's trying to take the book in resolving the confusing and contradictory continuity of the character, but the repetition of "this OR that" got old awfully fast. Rucka really beat the dead horse with 20+ pages of rehashing the concept. We get it. I'm intrigued by the concept of the alternating timelines this story will feature, but Wonder Woman is on a short leash.

I know this is a comics threat but I was wondering if their were any good oversized hardcover editions for manga similar to a Dark Horse Library Edition or most omnibuses. I have a large copy of Akira Vol. 1 somewhere in storage and was looking for something similar to that for like Ghost in the Shell or Trigun. Anyone know if they even make something like that and if so where to find it and what they are referred to as so I can search? I kinda want to full set for Akira too but don't remember what it was called or who the publisher is.

The Gundam HCs are quite nice though not oversized. There is a beautiful oversized box set of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

There is a new HC Akira box set releasing late this year or early next year.

Current Akira volumes are from Dark Horse.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Aquaman: Rebirth - ★ - There might be a way to make Aquaman interesting, but this is definitely not it. Dull intro to a dull character doing dull aquatic things. This book includes a scene where
the protagonists discuss eating clam chowder
, and it's somehow not the most boring part of the book! Nope. Dropped.

No fooling, the clam chowder stuff is actually the stuff that I like most about the book. DC's sapped so much of the romance out of their character's lives that any time there's two people in a relationship just enjoying their time together, I'm fully on board.

Vic_Viper

The Gundam HCs are quite nice though not oversized. There is a beautiful oversized box set of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

There is a new HC Akira box set releasing late this year or early next year.

Current Akira volumes are from Dark Horse.

Thank you. Might check into both of those you mentioned.

Back to comics! How is DC One Million? As a huge Morrison fan is the Omnibus worth it for all the tie Ins or are they pretty hit and miss?

I like trying to be active here, but not a lot of what I read lately is super fresh.

The Boys is crazy as ever, got to volume 7. Good value from that ennis bundle.

Read an issue of Ghostbusters IDW.
Is that a good series? I was mostly hoping the new bundle additions would include the tmnt crossover.

Been reading IDW dnd run.
On vol 2 now. It's pretty and kind of funny. Starts wonky, but cool stuff.
I got the IDW Infestation 2 hardcover and figured I would read these first to get familiar with that world. I got Infestation 2 just cause I love tmnt and lovecraft. The Doom that came to Gotham is my only owned batman book :p

Oh and I read issue 1 of UNIVERSE from that bkv website and was pretty impressed. Great art and the creative mind seems pretty out there.
You're free to post about anything! There are quite a few regulars who don't read any ongoing titles. I was posting about Love and Rockets myself the other day.
Kodansha does Akira. They're doing a big set for it next year that sounds really nice. May want to wait for that.

Nice manga releases seem to be pretty rare in comparison to comics. The nicest one I have is Nijigahara Holograph which Fantagraphics put out. The hardcovers for JoJo are nice too.

frye

I think graphitti did hardcover Akiras but only for the first five volumes

I read a manga once. Prison School. Pretty sure Freeza got me put on a list somewhere.

Messi, I think you like romance comics based on your love of Sunstone. Therefore, I will suggest you try some Kaoru Mori manga. Specifically Emma and Bride's Story. They're probably some of my favorite series outside of Yotsuba&!

Messi

Okay bros, what comics are good in the hood today?

Specifically, the ones I'm unsure about are Wacky Raceland, and Detective Comics.

Get both

Messi, I think you like romance comics based on your love of Sunstone. Therefore, I will suggest you try some Kaoru Mori manga. Specifically Emma and Bride's Story. They're probably some of my favorite series outside of Yotsuba&!

These words mean nothing to me. Are you promising bdsm here?

Vader #21 was another strong issue as it starts to wind down. Loved how Vader retrieves the info he needs from the technician, thanks him and then
orders his execution
. I'm going to miss these sentimental Vader moments. Still hoping Aphra weasels her way out of it but I'm not too hopeful.

Specifically, the ones I'm unsure about are Wacky Raceland, and Detective Comics.

Detective Comics is great. The art is questionable, but it's a really stellar read.

There is no alternate universe where Wacky Raceland is anything but a mistake. It's like the ghosts of Hanna and Barbera watched Mad Max: Fury Road while smoking a ton of pot. I realize that probably sounds like an endorsement, but it's not!

Thank you. Might check into both of those you mentioned.

Back to comics! How is DC One Million? As a huge Morrison fan is the Omnibus worth it for all the tie Ins or are they pretty hit and miss?

DC One Million is quite good. I enjoyed a lot of the tie-ins. If you are in the us, look on hamiltonbook.com. At $35, it is a must buy.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The difference haha

13346766_483603918502698_5159644012943887960_n.jpg

There is no alternate universe where Wacky Raceland is anything but a mistake. It's like the ghosts of Hanna and Barbera watched Mad Max: Fury Road while smoking a ton of pot. I realize that probably sounds like an endorsement, but it's not!

That may not be an endorsement but I gotta say you're kinda talking me into it!

DOPE!

@TragicComedy: Yeah dude, I read Wonder Woman and it didn't really set my world on fire either. That 2 star review is warranted.

Liar! I saw your glowing review. Just remember, my opinion comes from a place of complete DC ignorance. I need someone to do some DCExplainin' around here, so I can fully understand how wrong I am.

Zombine

Banned
Liar! I saw your glowing review. Just remember, my opinion comes from a place of complete DC ignorance. I need someone to do some DCExplainin' around here, so I can fully understand how wrong I am.

Nah it's pretty standard writing with wonderful art. It's a Rebirth issue so they tried to jam a lot into 24 pages, but as it stands Morrison > Rucka all day every day.

Nah it's pretty standard writing with wonderful art. It's a Rebirth issue so they tried to jam a lot into 24 pages, but as it stands Morrison > Rucka all day every day.

Would you say your interest in Wonder Woman has been...Rebirthed? Are you saying I should read the Morrison run on Wonder Woman that I purchased recently?

I gotta leave these reviews up to the experts. You know, the guys who have been reading DC a full decade less than I have. They've got that fresh view on things, unhindered by a world before the New 52 came into glorious existence. I bring too much 80s and 90s baggage.

All-New X-Men 10: I've come to the point where I don't really mind that this is just a weird event with all the X-books telling a different Apocalypse story. It's fine I guess, I don't need them to cross over.

This is the weak link, though. There are two stories here,
Evan's
and
Hank's.
Hank's story is the weaker of the two, it's just kinda boring and nothing happens, he's merely a piece to manipulate on the board to motivate Evan and En Sabah Nur.
Evan's
story is definitely more interesting,
his interactions with En Sabah Nur have led to an unexpected sense of conflict and inner turmoil for him and I'm not sure how it's going to end. All of the other Egyptian characters are lame and dull.
The anachronistic dialogue is super distracting, too.

I might actually drop this book after it wraps up its AW arc next issue. We'll see.

Zombine

Banned
Would you say your interest in Wonder Woman has been...Rebirthed? Are you saying I should read the Morrison run on Wonder Woman that I purchased recently?

I gotta leave these reviews up to the experts. You know, the guys who have been reading DC a full decade less than I have. They've got that fresh view on things, unhindered by a world before the New 52 came into glorious existence. I bring too much 80s and 90s baggage.

Earth One: Wonder Woman by Rucka. Just dropped a month or so ago or whatever. It's the definitive origin for the character. Rucka trying way too fuckin hard.

He wants to be a Megatron but he'll always just be Starscream with a crown.

Vyer

Rucka has always felt like a slow build up to me, so I'm ok with the mostly setup of the issue. As it stands it may be the first time I give a WW solo a shot.

Action Comics 957 - I didn't love it, but I liked it. It was fun. Man, am I getting into Superman comics? I never thought this would happen. Never ever.

One thing that bugged me:
Superman was clearly the aggressor in the Lex/Supes fight, right? He grabbed his chest and tried to rip the shield off his armor, then he started going on about how Luthor's violent response proved him right. Meanwhile Lois is at home with Supes Jr. telling him that violence is never the best answer, yet he just watched his dad jump right into it with Luthor.

There's lots of cool setup here, though, and I will keep reading for now. That said, the last page splash inspired nothing but a groan. Unsurprising and pretty lame, lordy I hate this design for that character.

That's not actually a new design, it's a callback to the first appearance

Earth One: Wonder Woman by Rucka. Just dropped a month or so ago or whatever. It's the definitive origin for the character. Rucka trying way too fuckin hard.

He wants to be a Megatron but he'll always just be Starscream with a crown.

Hey, I have that book! I'm going to read it...after I read all six of these free Overwatch comics. They've gotta be good, right? Unless there is a Mei book, cause I'm skipping that shit.

Vyer

Oh, it is? Interesting. I don't know much about Superman characters.

yup. (Action Comics Rebirth spoilers)
His first appearance is basically him bashing his way out of his prison, he's got that suit and bindings on initially. IIRC he only had one arm free at the time. As he goes on his rage spree it gets torn away and he ends up with the look he's commonly seen in. Here's a shot of a cover from then:
http://i.imgur.com/tWz1t4i.jpg

Aquaman Rebirth....ehhhhhhh. Mannnn.

Just once I want to read the first issue of an Aquaman series that doesn't spend page after page apologizing for the character and rambling on and on about how misunderstood he is. The reason I picked up the book is that I like Aquaman. I think he can be a cool character. It's frustrating that we always have to bounce back to this. Johns said everything Abnett did here back in n52 Aquaman #1, and he said it better. That should have been the last word on it yet here we are again.

I'm not ready to give up on Abnett just yet but this was not a good start. The last page has me hooked for the first few issues but the book is on notice.

The art was okay I guess. It reminded me of the Action Comics art quite a bit actually, so I guess this is the new DC house style. It's not great but it's vibrant and dynamic, a big improvement over the n52 house style.

yup. (Action Comics Rebirth spoilers)
His first appearance is basically him bashing his way out of his prison, he's got that suit and bindings on initially. IIRC he only had one arm free at the time. As he goes on his rage spree it gets torn away and he ends up with the look he's commonly seen in. Here's a shot of a cover from then:
http://i.imgur.com/tWz1t4i.jpg

Oh okay, that's cool then. Thanks for the info.

They're not bad, but very light. About 9 pages each. No mei issue :p

"Only my friends calls me Torby." Issues were whatever, but at free fighty free they were worth a shot. Symmetra and Reinhardt forever. And Mercy, but apparently she doesn't deserve a book.

Aquaman Rebirth....ehhhhhhh. Mannnn.

Just once I want to read the first issue of an Aquaman series that doesn't spend page after page apologizing for the character and rambling on and on about how misunderstood he is.

"When you're back in your old neighborhood
The cigarettes taste so good
But you're so misunderstood
You're so misunderstood"

Booooooring book. Unlike you, I don't really care for Aquaman so I was taking a chance with this. It's exactly what I expected.

"When you're back in your old neighborhood
The cigarettes taste so good
But you're so misunderstood
You're so misunderstood"

Booooooring book. Unlike you, I don't really care for Aquaman so I was taking a chance with this. It's exactly what I expected.

At this point I'm in for Abnett and
Black Manta
who is my favorite Aquaman character. An awful showing for the star of the book.

Sandfox

Detective was a decent set-up issue and Flash is probably going to be nothing like the Rebirth book. From what I've heard I probably wouldn't like the books.

Blackest Night: Green Lantern

Reading through Johns' GL run has lead me to Blackest Night, and I gotta say it was pretty enjoyable. While I understand that this is but a small fraction of Blackest Night as a whole, I have to take it for what it is. What it is being the Green Lantern portion of the Blackest Night crossover event. There are multiple components that make up Blackest Night as a whole: three volumes of Green Lantern Corps, one volume of Tales from the Corps, Blackest Night by itself, and the one volume of Green Lantern, which is what I've read.

To begin, we have a nice opening about William Hand a.k.a. the Black Hand. It's effectively about how he becomes the first Black Lantern, as well as an origin story. Basically, he's a necrophiliac with a penchant for murder who was driven insane by the Green Lantern because light means life. And he cannot process life very well. This does an extremely good job at passing him off as a major creep. It also makes me sad that they didn't let Atrocitus do his goddamned job, which was to keep the Blackest Night from happening. In this case, that means he was going to murder Hand, as seen back in Secret Origins. Cut to present day, where he murders his entire family and then kills himself, leading him to be resurrected as the first Black Lantern. Of course, this makes him special, much like all first lanterns: Atrocitus, Sinestro, and Indigo-1. His referred to as the equivalent of an emotional entity, but that doesn't make sense. I would think it would be Nekron?

Anyways, now that the Blackest Night has begun, Martian Manhunter wakes up and attempts to murder Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. He's a space zombie now. Cut to space, where the War of Light has begun, in which all the different emotional spectrum wielders are attempting to murderhouse the fuck out of each other. The Star Sapphires are attempting to convert Sinestro Corps members into Star Sapphires using the power of love. And also crystals. Sinestro is attempting to bust his corps out, and so a massive battle ensues on the Sapphire's home planet of Zamaron. By the way, can we just stop for a second so I can say this: the Sapphires are creepy as fuck. Seriously. Creepier than any other corps. They force you to love using "love" crystals, and their entity is referred to as the Predator. I'm not entirely convinced that this isn't just a rape metaphor/analogy or something. Seriously. There is nothing that isn't just creepy. Stranger still is that the entire corps is female. There has to be some subtext here that I'm not picking up on. Oddly enough, this is also the corps that I am the most interested in reading about.

That digression aside; Sinestro spits mad fire at Carol whilst beating the shit out of her and other Sapphires. Carol gets some good hits in, and it's also shown that she's immune to the Sapphires' brain control, because the rings also brainwash the corps members. So they're sex zombies. Black Lanterns show up. This is not the only battle that this occurs at: the Lost Lanterns and one Alpha Lantern are on Ysmault to reclaim Laira's corpse (burial purposes) from the Red Lanterns, while Larfleeze sends his Corps of of space ghosts to claim the Blue Light of Hope, because it makes him feel good. This battle takes place on Odym. During these fights, death rings show up to claim corpses or those who have died and came back (prevalent on Earth). This includes the corpses of Hawkgirl and Hawkman on Zamaron (which brings up an interesting lore bit about them being pretty much the mascots of the Sapphires, eternal love and all that). It's revealed that the Indigo Light of Compassion is the last light to find, however they remain hidden.

Next thing you know, Hal shows up on Zamaron with a couple of Indigos to help take down the Black Lanterns. They reveal that the Indigo Light is Compassion, and it can channel other emotions based on the amount of emotions there. I think. Basically, their power level is based on how long and how many rings they are near. I think. I'm not sure, but I know that's how they channel specific emotions. Anyways, they explain that Green "sanitizes" Black rings, which makes them vulnerable to other colors. One of the Indigos leaves, with only Indigo-1 and Hal left. They recruit Sinestro and Carol to their cause. The group then goes to Korugar to free the rest of Sinestro's Corps from Mongul, whom Sinestro wrecks indefinitely. Then they go to Larfleeze's planet, where all the corpses of the people he's killed come back and attack him along with Atrocitus, who also just shows up in an attempt to take the Orange Power Battery from Larfleeze. Not entirely sure why, though. Then the group of Indigo-1, Hal Jordan, Carol Ferris, Saint Walker, and Sinestro show up and take Larfleeze and Atrocitus with them to Ryutt. Supposedly where the Black Power Battery is stored. However it has long since left and headed to Earth. During all of this, John Stewart is approached by a resurrected Xanshi, because every Corps needs a planet as a member.

So now our rainbow colored spec ops unit shows up to Earth, where they have managed to give a ring to one Earthling per color: Mera gets Red; Wonder Woman gets Violet; Barry Allen (fuck that guy) gets Hope; Lex Luthor gets Avarice; Scarecrow gets Fear; and Ray Palmer gets Compassion. They kind of explain why each character got them, but the only one that ever got any foreshadowing was Scarecrow during the Sinestro Corps creation, when one of the rings visited Earth. Anyhow, a bunch of formerly dead heroes tries to kill not-so-dead heroes and Lantern corps members. This particular book revolves around our special team and their battle with the Specter, who is now a Black Lantern due to his host, Crispus Allen, having been a formerly dead man. The only way they manage to beat him is by Hal fusing with Parallax again, because Specter is apparently scared of Parallax (fucking bullshit). Hal is then exorcised of Parallax, while Nekron shows up to murder everyone. Also, John Stewart and Fatality, along with some other corps members, manage to blow up Xanshi before it crashes into Earth.

Next, Sinestro is now a White Lantern and fights Nekron. This fight reveals the Emotional Entities origins and that the White Lanterns are broke as fuck. Also Earth is apparently some source of something. Anyways, to be continued *gasp* in Blackest Night!

So this book was enjoyable. Lots of good action, which was especially cool seeing all the different Corps and fighting styles. Particularly the Sinestro and Sapphire fight. John Stewart soloing Xanshi was badass, as was Sinestro's fight with Mongul. A lot of good action. Though, I have some confusion as to how Blue Lanterns were able to fight off Larfleeze's constructs, since they can't actually do anything without willpower. Unless being near the Power Battery changes things. Obviously there is a lot missed by only reading this, since Blackest Night was spread out across so many books. Why take Bruce Wayne's skull (though not really his skull)? All the shit that happened on Earth. Where did Nekron come from? How did Sinestro become a White Lantern? All that really bugged me, but the recaps made it easier. Regardless, it was really enjoyable, and it was cool to see all the interactions. Plus, my boy Atrocitus putting in work. Overall I really liked it, and I definitely look forward to the actual Blackest Night event.
Also, quick question: Black Lanterns say that Superman died, but the only time that happened was with Doomsday, yeah? I thought he didn't technically die when that happened?

Also, quick question: Black Lanterns say that Superman died, but the only time that happened was with Doomsday, yeah? I thought he didn't technically die when that happened?

I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable than me on Superman will address this question, but in Superman Rebirth he outright says
that he died and was resurrected.

Fun writeup as always, BK. I gave up on that run about this time because of all the crazy crossover stuff but if it reads this well on its own I might have to go back and check it out sometime.

I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable than me on Superman will address this question, but in Superman Rebirth he outright says
that he died and was resurrected.

Yeah he died.

TheFlow

Banned
Yea aqua man was a let down but Black manta <3.

Edit: bright, the this is not the actually artist. Expect it to get better

Top Bottom