• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Owzers

Met the Nintendo rep for my store today. Dude asked me what I was excited about and I gave him a somewhat deadpan when is NX coming out. Cool dude, even himself admitted that the Nintendo line up for this year is sparse and gave a good reason why Nintendo should wait for NX.

nothing makes me hyped more for a new system than watching the previous one suffer a horrible death.

TheFlow

Banned
May physical haul

it was crazy month because even though I have been collecting since 2012 I always bought small amounts per year. To put it in perspective 1/3 of my current collection was bought in just one month. Already read half

Hey guys. After reading Goodnight Punpun im into depressing Comics/Stories lately. Anybody know what i should read if i want to feel like shit?

The only one that read that felt depressing was "Wish you were here" from Crossed. Any other tips?

arkon

Hey guys. After reading Goodnight Punpun im into depressing Comics/Stories lately. Anybody know what i should read if i want to feel like shit?

The only one that read that felt depressing was "Wish you were here" from Crossed. Any other tips?
Stray Bullets

TheFlow

Banned

deadly class

stray bullets

low

those 3 will fuck you up and might even make you hate the writer for killing everything you cared about.

honorable mentions are black science and fatale.

everything I listed is from recent reads.

I haven't read any western comics that hit my emotions like Punpun did if I'm being honest. Maybe check out Asano's other works if you haven't already? A Girl on the Shore may be up your alley.

X-Statix left me feeling kind of empty sort of like a good manga does at points though. Megahex, while very crude, also handles depression in a pretty realistic manner so that may be worth looking into if you can handle the humor and tone of it.

Stray Bullets
deadly class

stray bullets

low

those 3 will fuck you up and might even make you hate the writer for killing everything you cared about.

honorable mentions are black science and fatale.

everything I listed is from recent reads.
Age of Ultron
Stray Bullets

Okay thank you for the tips. Already read Deadly Class. I hated #21
Victor is inhuman and survives everything and the marcus dies. Shit man.
Started Low and Black Science so i will probably dig into them a bit more later. The rest i have to buy first. So thank you for all the tips (Even through i dont know if Age of Ultron is meant to be a serious answer)

I haven't read any western comics that hit my emotions like Punpun did if I'm being honest. Maybe check out Asano's other works if you haven't already? A Girl on the Shore may be up your alley.

X-Statix left me feeling kind of empty sort of like a good manga does at points though. Megahex, while very crude, also handles depression in a pretty realistic manner so that may be worth looking into if you can handle the humor and tone of it.

Yeah Punpun was a really heavy hit in the guts. Never felt so shitty in my entire life. I try the ones you mentioned. Thanks.

Though it's a funny book, Megahex is an on-point depiction of depression. It sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Lazarus
The Walking Dead

Zombine

Banned
Okay thank you for the tips. Already read Deadly Class. I hated #21
Victor is inhuman and survives everything and the marcus dies. Shit man.
Started Low and Black Science so i will probably dig into them a bit more later. The rest i have to buy first. So thank you for all the tips (Even through i dont know if Age of Ultron is meant to be a serious answer)

Yeah Punpun was a really heavy hit in the guts. Never felt so shitty in my entire life. I try the ones you mentioned. Thanks.

Please don't read Age of Ultron. Joke lol. Read The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story or WE3 by Morrison. I highly suggest both TBH.

5000KM Per Second may be another good choice. Like Punpun you see the cast kind of mature and grow up. It's only a single graphic novel too.

Please don't read Age of Ultron. Joke lol. Read The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story or WE3 by Morrison. I highly suggest both TBH.

I knew it. Age of Ultron seemed fishy to be a depressing Comic.

Though it's a funny book, Megahex is an on-point depiction of depression. It sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Thanks

Lazarus
The Walking Dead

Thank you. Even through i dont find Walking Dead depressing anymore. It was befor the recent timeskip.

5000KM Per Second may be another good choice. Like Punpun you see the cast kind of mature and grow up. It's only a single graphic novel too.

Thanks.

But please stop now. I think i have enough for the next months.

frye

Depending on how you feel about war comics, It Was the War of the Trenches (you should read this anyways). The Garth Ennis-written war comics, War Stories and Battlefields, are quite good as well but his best is actually Fury: My War Gone By which has some light sci-fi elements that are basically an excuse to do a tour of the Cold War

diaspora

lol of course Peter's response to Ulysses is
"LETS USE HIM FOR SCIENCE"

Tony's worried his visions aren't good enough, Carol wants to gamble lives on it, Peter wants to
use it to advance technologies and products that are surer to advance and not be dead ends.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Are screen protectors essential for the 12.9" pro?

I have 2 years warranty, and have a glass one on my iPhone, but the ones that came for my Pro today were paper thin and already had dust on

tim1138

My first thought after reading Wonder Woman Rebirth was "Wow, they're just gonna go ahead and trash her entire N52 origin and story
good
"

The few pages by Liam Sharp at the end looked great, and I can't wait to see Nicola Scott's first issue next month.

My first thought after reading Wonder Woman Rebirth was "Wow, they're just gonna go ahead and trash her entire N52 origin and story
good
"

The few pages by Liam Sharp at the end looked great, and I can't wait to see Nicola Scott's first issue next month.

My first thought after reading Wonder Woman Rebirth was "Oh fuck it's the letterer from Black Magick"

Some of the worst leading in comics history, in both books

TheFlow

Banned
This is depressing

essexcountysoftcover_lg.gif

ElNarez

Banned
Tony's worried his visions aren't good enough, Carol wants to gamble lives on it, Peter wants to
use it to advance technologies and products that are surer to advance and not be dead ends.

"gamble"?

for real?

carol's way saved the Earth TWICE, tony hasn't done shit.

#imwithcarol

good
"

to me it's kind of a bummer because a) I loved that run and b) it's not that good a story

so I'm just hoping it's gonna go and do something interesting with the idea that gods are stories and stories are malleable

tim1138

My first thought after reading Wonder Woman Rebirth was "Oh fuck it's the letterer from Black Magick"

Some of the worst leading in comics history, in both books

Hahaha, you have the best perspective on stuff like that.

to me it's kind of a bummer because a) I loved that run and b) it's not that good a story

so I'm just hoping it's gonna go and do something interesting with the idea that gods are stories and stories are malleable

I like the idea of stories being malleable and so they can change and be manipulated, but I definitely would not be sad to chunks of Azz's run never mentioned again.

I really enjoyed Superman: Rebirth. It is my favorite Rebirth comic from last week by a lot.

Tomasi & Gleason have such a powerful understanding of grief, and they are so good at translating that understanding into comics. It's no Batman & Robin silent issue, but it's a damn good eulogy, and it got me genuinely pumped for their run when nu Superman 52 had almost talked me out of it. Really excited to see where things go from here and this was the only Rebirth book that accomplished that for me.

TheFlow

Banned
I really enjoyed Superman: Rebirth. It is my favorite Rebirth comic from last week by a lot.

Tomasi & Gleason have such a powerful understanding of grief, and they are so good at translating that understanding into comics. It's no Batman & Robin silent issue, but it's a damn good eulogy, and it got me genuinely pumped for their run when nu Superman 52 had almost talked me out of it. Really excited to see where things go from here and this was the only Rebirth book that accomplished that for me.

u didn't like green arrow?

diaspora

"gamble"?

for real?

carol's way saved the Earth TWICE, tony hasn't done shit.

#imwithcarol

No it didn't. His visions were wrong twice. His vision of Thanos with the cube, and the celestial destroying NY were both wrong. This is what makes Tony so nervous.

Action Comics 957 - I didn't love it, but I liked it. It was fun. Man, am I getting into Superman comics? I never thought this would happen. Never ever.

One thing that bugged me:
Superman was clearly the aggressor in the Lex/Supes fight, right? He grabbed his chest and tried to rip the shield off his armor, then he started going on about how Luthor's violent response proved him right. Meanwhile Lois is at home with Supes Jr. telling him that violence is never the best answer, yet he just watched his dad jump right into it with Luthor.

There's lots of cool setup here, though, and I will keep reading for now. That said, the last page splash inspired nothing but a groan. Unsurprising and pretty lame, lordy I hate this design for that character.

I like trying to be active here, but not a lot of what I read lately is super fresh.

The Boys is crazy as ever, got to volume 7. Good value from that ennis bundle.

Read an issue of Ghostbusters IDW.
Is that a good series? I was mostly hoping the new bundle additions would include the tmnt crossover.

Been reading IDW dnd run.
On vol 2 now. It's pretty and kind of funny. Starts wonky, but cool stuff.
I got the IDW Infestation 2 hardcover and figured I would read these first to get familiar with that world. I got Infestation 2 just cause I love tmnt and lovecraft. The Doom that came to Gotham is my only owned batman book :p

Oh and I read issue 1 of UNIVERSE from that bkv website and was pretty impressed. Great art and the creative mind seems pretty out there.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Vision 8

Incredible as always, I'm glad that
Victor
showed up, I love seeing the
extended family dynamic

Aquaman Rebirth

Writing was as solid as it was at the end of the run, but the art was really rough in places. Is that the main books artist?

Flash Rebirth

This was nice, though I still did have negative feelings about the art.

Detective Comics

I'm really excited about this book, I loved
Clayface at the end, not sure how he was supposed to follow them as they swung around town.

Messi

I like trying to be active here, but not a lot of what I read lately is super fresh.

Is that a good series? I was mostly hoping the new bundle additions would include the tmnt crossover.

I got the IDW Infestation 2 hardcover and figured I would read these first to get familiar with that world. I got Infestation 2 just cause I love tmnt and lovecraft. The Doom that came to Gotham is my only owned batman book :p

Oh and I read issue 1 of UNIVERSE from that bkv website and was pretty impressed. Great art and the creative mind seems pretty out there.

You are welcome to post about any comics and or the video game overwatch in here. We talk about everything equally.

You don't have to read the latest weekly books to participate! People post about older stuff all the time and it is always welcome by everyone. It may be hard to get an actual discussion going, but I'm always adding books to my reading list based on posts just like yours.

Top Bottom