• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

tim1138

So that one page in WW: Rebirth was supposed to be an allusion to Superboy-Prime punch-resetting reality right?

Yeah, if you look at the broken panels it's all the different incarnations of her throughout the years.

I think this might have been the least new reader friendly of all the Rebirth books, it plays very heavily off the knowledge of how inconsistent Diana's history has been portrayed over the years. Even just pitting the New 52 version vs the classic Perez post crisis version could be off putting for someone not in the know. That said I enjoyed it quite a bit, Rucka is clearly playing the long game and I have full faith he will deliver.

And now it's time for my Rebirth power rankings:

Flash
(tie) Wonder Woman
(tie) Tec
Action
Aquaman

Flash shoots to the top just by being a good Flash comic for the first time in literally years. My Wonder Woman thoughts are above. I really like the premise and cast for Tec, it's great to see Kate again. I liked Action much more than Superman, Jurgens told a nice story and that was probably the best work of Zircher's career. Aquaman had an interesting premise with the story, but felt a lot like a rehash of Johns first issue and didn't have the best art.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, if you look at the broken panels it's all the different incarnations of her throughout the years.

I think this might have been the least new reader friendly of all the Rebirth books, it plays very heavily off the knowledge of how inconsistent Diana's history has been portrayed over the years. Even just pitting the New 52 version vs the classic Perez post crisis version could be off putting for someone not in the know. That said I enjoyed it quite a bit, Rucka is clearly playing the long game and I have full faith he will deliver.

And now it's time for my Rebirth power rankings:

Flash
(tie) Wonder Woman
(tie) Tec
Action
Aquaman

Flash shoots to the top just by being a good Flash comic for the first time in literally years. My Wonder Woman thoughts are above. I really like the premise and cast for Tec, it's great to see Kate again. I liked Action much more than Superman, Jurgens told a nice story and that was probably the best work of Zircher's career. Aquaman had an interesting premise with the story, but felt a lot like a rehash of Johns first issue and didn't have the best art.
Pretty much

It's a minor gripe but Superman's blue boots with the red top irks me. Just have red boots or make it a blue onesie.

Action comics rebirth was fun.

updated to show van finished like a boss

Comic book goals 6/5-6/12
TheFlow- hellboy vol 2-12
Brianfellows- finish superior foes
Sandfox- catch up on Sex Criminals or finish reading Fraction's Hawkeye.
Echoshifting- I will have ten or less books to finish in Comixology by next Sunday.
Bkatastrophe- Green Lantern: Blackest Night, my floppies, Red Lanterns Vol. 5, and Buffy S8 Vol. 4.
Vanwrinkle- East of west year one ohc
whatsinaname- survive business trip
Messi-overwatch lol
TheFlow - troll every comicsgaf poster individually (echo, tragic, messi unlocked)
Launchpadmcq- overwatch lol
sillymonkey321- overwatch lol
zombine- overwatch lol
lashley- 3-5 hellboy books
Hagi-deadly class volume 1-3, east of west year 1, and gundam origin whole series.

Hey! Appreciate you keeping all of our goals on track. :p

Owzers

i've been destroying my goal, been playing more overwatch than necessary.

Still can't aim. I need to read WW Earth One before someone spoils it here.

Birthright 16 - Decent table-setting issue. Not much happened except
the wizard reveal - yer a wizard 'arry!
, but it feels like we are definitely about to move the story forward in a big way. Really looking forward to the next issue.

Zombine

Banned
Now that is a spoiler :p

I really would respect the rules though. It's fairly dickish and it bothers people here so it's clearly a spoiler. Not a mega heavy one, but it is a spoiler. Day one spoilers aren't tolerated, and while mods give us the pleasure of being a fairly relaxed community because we're all just a bunch of fuckin uber nerds, we do call in for assistance when it's needed.

If it's an accident that's cool, but just know it's not ok moving forward. Please stick to our community guidelines.

Zombine

Banned
Holy shit, Zombeen getting serious.

I think it's a pretty stupid spoiler and I'm pretty spoilerphobic. It didn't bother me at all but rules are rules and some of the new guys forget that they still exist. They have to be enforced or they become meaningless.

But yeah,
Black Manta
showing up in Aquaman Rebirth comic should probably be expected lol. It's kinda like being shocked that someone uses open spoilers that
Cheetah
will probably end up in Rucka's book.

I give this spoiler an IGN 3/10

I think it's a pretty stupid spoiler and I'm pretty spoilerphobic. It didn't bother me at all but rules are rules and some of the new guys forget that they still exist. They have to be enforced or they become meaningless.

I'm confused by two things. 1) We have new people. 2) We talk about comics.

WAT

I've been playing Odin Sphere for the last two hours. This game plays so much better than the original.

shingi70

Banned
Holy shit, Zombeen getting serious.

Destiny what? New announcement or something?

The formal announcement and first look at the Rise of Iron Expansion. Hopefully they detail plans for the next year because I don't think the game can survive another year drought to the sequel.

Civil War: Spider-Man #1 was pretty good for a tie-in. The level of involvement of the
Inhumans
is starting to get a little clunky, though, and has me wondering about the sequence of events/timeline of this event. I also don't get how suddenly Ulysses' power
is set off by location-based events? That doesn't seem to be the case in the main book.
Minor nitpick, just inconsistent.

I dug the twist. Thought I had it called early in the issue but they Shyamalan'd it and twisted the twist. I don't know that character, though. What's his name?

I've been playing Odin Sphere for the last two hours. This game plays so much better than the original.

Does it? Hmmm I might have to pick it up then. Is it twenty bucks?

edit: oh fuck I forgot to add last month's games to my PS Plus library. Hope I didn't miss anything good.

Messi

yea, you are

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap

Beautiful-Olivia-Wilde-Omg-Reaction-Gif.gif

It's kinda like being shocked that someone uses open spoilers that
Cheetah
will probably end up in Rucka's book.

WTF?!?! I clicked that and my life is now ruined forever.

The real spoiler is that a few of these Rebirth books aren't complete trash. I'm shocked.

TheFlow

Banned
I stand by the black manta post. The dude was already revealed to be be main bad guy. I follow the thread guidelines to the letter and have spoil tagged everything for the 7-8 months I have been here. This spoiler culture thing is getting out hand

Edit: black manta is on the cover of Aqua man #1... And has already been mentioned to be in this arc by everyone. Lol

To be fair, you stand by a lot of your shit. Your opinion on your shit is well established.

It's the opinions of others that you may want to consider.

Messi

I stand by the black manta post. The dude was already revealed to be be main bad guy. I follow the thread guidelines to the letter and have spoil tagged everything for the 7-8 months I have been here. This spoiler culture thing is getting out hand

Edit: black manta is on the cover of Aqua man #1... And has already been mentioned to be in this arc by everyone. Lol

The same spoiler culture that ruined rebirth, cap and civil war in the past two weeks. We are crap at spoilers at best.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Rebirth spoilers were getting tagged pretty good for about, like, 15 minutes and then everyone made some extremely obvious references to Watchmen, and then people just outright said it was Watchmen. So, all around a pretty good job, kept it together for about half an hour.

Messi

Rebirth spoilers were getting tagged pretty good for about, like, 15 minutes and then everyone made some extremely obvious references to Watchmen, and then people just outright said it was Watchmen. So, all around a pretty good job, kept it together for about half an hour.

And Cap was even worse

Took longer to get Civil War but we got there.

Manta isn't a spoiler at all. Abnett in interviews considered him a big part of the supporting cast alongside Mera.

You know, I get that. And I had already read the issue so it's no skin off my back. But not everybody reads preview materials; I don't, so it was legitimately a nice surprise. And it's just such a simple request. I would spoiler tag the smallest thing if another comicgaffer asked me to do so because this is a community that has long been built and maintained on mutual respect. We have community guidelines in place for a reason and they aren't hard to follow by any means. Aquaman might be a poor example but it seems like every week now certain people plop spoilers in their posts without a care.

But it's typical TF. Double down, get defensive at the slightest criticism and if it goes on long enough just start shitposting. Yawn. It's fine, though, I'm not going to engage another poster who doesn't want to be a part of our long tradition of mutual respect.

TheFlow

Banned
You know, I get that. And I had already read the issue so it's no skin off my back. But not everybody reads preview materials; I don't, so it was legitimately a nice surprise. And it's just such a simple request. I would spoiler tag the smallest thing if another comicgaffer asked me to do so because this is a community that has long been built and maintained on mutual respect. We have community guidelines in place for a reason and they aren't hard to follow by any means. Aquaman might be a poor example but it seems like every week now certain people plop spoilers in their posts without a care.

But it's typical TF. Double down, get defensive at the slightest criticism and if it goes on long enough just start shitposting. Yawn. It's fine, though, I'm not going to engage another poster who doesn't want to be a part of our long tradition of mutual respect.
When you bought Aquaman rebirth did you not see next to it that black manta was on the cover?

I don't think you guys are outraged about Black manta being spoiled but at me ayyye lmao

Owzers

Why do people eat cookies or non-pies? My nephew and i baked some chocolate chip cookies today from scratch and whenever i do that i think i'm just eating a baked glob of butter, sugar, and flour.

Disgusting.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Three leches cake is actually the best dessert ever made and anyone who says otherwise is a dirty liar.

Does it? Hmmm I might have to pick it up then. Is it twenty bucks?

What? Nah. It's $60. It's not just a simple remaster. Aside from having completely re-drawn characters, it now runs at 1080p/60fps. And they also added a new skill system as well as additional levels and monsters. You have the option of playing the classic version, but why would you?

Top Bottom