• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

What? Nah. It's $60. It's not just a simple remaster. Aside from having completely re-drawn characters, it now runs at 1080p/60fps. And they also added a new skill system as well as additional levels and monsters. You have the option of playing the classic version, but why would you?

Woah, I might have to wait for it to come down a bit then. I'm interested but not $60 interested. Glad to hear it's a good time though.

Messi

When you bought Aquaman rebirth did you not see next to it that black manta was on the cover?

I don't think you guys are outraged about Black manta being spoiled but at me ayyye lmao

I didn't know he was in it. I buy my books on comixology and don't read previews exc. But hey it must be personal.

You know, I get that. And I had already read the issue so it's no skin off my back. But not everybody reads preview materials; I don't, so it was legitimately a nice surprise. And it's just such a simple request. I would spoiler tag the smallest thing if another comicgaffer asked me to do so because this is a community that has long been built and maintained on mutual respect. We have community guidelines in place for a reason and they aren't hard to follow by any means. Aquaman might be a poor example but it seems like every week now certain people plop spoilers in their posts without a care.

But it's typical TF. Double down, get defensive at the slightest criticism and if it goes on long enough just start shitposting. Yawn. It's fine, though, I'm not going to engage another poster who doesn't want to be a part of our long tradition of mutual respect.

Yeah, you have to be overly cautious with this stuff. I don't read any preview material or interviews on this stuff. All of my comic news comes from this thread, and depending on the publisher I read stuff anywhere from release date to six months behind. I fully understand I'm going to see spoilers, but typically not the same damn day a book releases. Poor form.

Did not enjoy Wonder Woman. Dull and no hook imo.

It was boring. And the way it set up the story going forward seems like it will be a real slog to read. I'll give it one or two more issues before it's bye bye Rucka Woman.

Funny, this and Batman were two of the three Rebirth books I was most excited to read, and they ended up being among the worst.

I tried Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman and so far Rebirth is kinda wack

Congratulations! You just read three bad books. Toss Aquaman in there for a perfect quadrilogy. My suggestion is to pick up Green Arrow, Flash, and Detective Comics. Those were great. Even Action Comics is better than what you've read.

Hey, guys, let's keep in mind that not everyone reads everything, or gets to new issues, around the same time, so information and details that might seem obvious to some might be unknown/spoilers for others

The thread rules are there to keep the community a friendly welcoming place and the last thing I imagine we'd want is for newcomers or vets alike feeling cautious or wary to enter these threads

So especially with new issues, spoiler tags would be ideal and respectful for the entire spectrum of reading habits here

Messi

Yeah, you have to be overly cautious with this stuff. I don't read any preview material or interviews on this stuff. All of my comic news comes from this thread, and depending on the publisher I read stuff anywhere from release date to six months behind. I fully understand I'm going to see spoilers, but typically not the same damn day a book releases. Poor form.

It was boring. And the way it set up the story going forward seems like it will be a real slog to read. I'll give it one or two more issues before it's bye bye Rucka Woman.

Funny, this and Batman were two of the three Rebirth books I was most excited to read, and they ended up being among the worst.

Same with me.

I just spoiler tag every little thing. I don't want to spoil any small detail for people. I could have come here and spoiled all of Lazarus HC 1 today as its over the time limit by the rules but I didn't because its a shitty thing to do.

Owzers

Overwatch's intro is so weird because the games feel like completely random things and Winston is pretending like he's gathering heroes for something important.

Hagi

Tec, Flash and Action Comics worth buying then? I think I'm going to wait for Civil War to get collected because I have zero interest in reading it right now.

Going to try and get WicDev volume 3 tomorrow and maybe pick up another Image volume 1 of something I haven't read.

Zombine

Banned
I don't think you guys are outraged about Black manta being spoiled but at me ayyye lmao

Please brother. That isn't the case with me. I tried to explain why they got mad, and what is expected of all of our members including myself. People generally feel as if community threads are a place where the rules can be bent due to mods being busy elsewhere, but general shittiness toward one another is against TOS. This is more or less a reminder that we shouldn't be instigating one another and should stick to the topic at hand. Comics. The Overwatch takeover was grating as it is, we don't need some stupid nerd war over post counts and differing opinions on books or whatever.

You know you're all fucked when I'm the voice of reason. Back to not meeting my Comic goal for the month.

Overwatch's intro is so weird because the games feel like completely random things and Winston is pretending like he's gathering heroes for something important.

I believe at one point there was an actual story involved. Not sure if it was a campaign or what, but certainly more to these characters. "Buy" the free comics on Comixology if you want the back story!
Don't.

TheFlow

Banned
Please brother. That isn't the case with me. I tried to explain why they got mad, and what is expected of all of our members including myself. People generally feel as if community threads are a place where the rules can be bent due to mods being busy elsewhere, but general shittiness toward one another is against TOS. This is more or less a reminder that we shouldn't be instigating one another and should stick to the topic at hand. Comics.
Amen about the instigating Around here. It's fun in games till it goes from comic talk to calling a person a dick/shitty

As the king of comic GAF I decree we get back to comics
black panther reference

Messi

Tec, Flash and Action Comics worth buying then? I think I'm going to wait for Civil War to get collected because I have zero interest in reading it right now.

Going to try and get WicDev volume 3 tomorrow and maybe pick up another Image volume 1 of something I haven't read.

Try Super Awesome Lesbian BDSM Romance comic Sunstone. If you have tried that please get volume one of Stjepan Sejics Death Vigil. It is really fucking good and more people need to read it. Vol 2 in spring. The trade collects 8 huge issues, its a beast.

tim1138

My ranking for the first month's batch of Rebirth books:

Green Arrow
Flash
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Green Lanterns
Action Comics
Superman
Batman
Aquaman

Basically the books I thought I would like based the announcements were the ones I ended up enjoying the most. If I were to recommend books to someone wanting to get into DC for the first time I'd go with Green Arrow, Flash, Action, Detective, and Green Lanterns.

TheFlow

Banned

Tec is the best

Flash if you want a sequel story to rebirth

How about you post your top 5 image books you haven't read and we can help out

Messi

Please brother. That isn't the case with me. I tried to explain why they got mad, and what is expected of all of our members including myself. People generally feel as if community threads are a place where the rules can be bent due to mods being busy elsewhere, but general shittiness toward one another is against TOS. This is more or less a reminder that we shouldn't be instigating one another and should stick to the topic at hand. Comics. The Overwatch takeover was grating as it is, we don't need some stupid nerd war over post counts and differing opinions on books or whatever.

You know you're all fucked when I'm the voice of reason. Back to not meeting my Comic goal for the month.

giphy.gif

Civil War II: Gods of War (aka Hercules #7): So, a direct continuation of Hercules which is cool because I dug that book. Pretty much picks up right where we left off with Hercules, fine with me, there were all kinds of loose threads left dangling when they canned that book, but I can see this being pretty confusing for people who are just picking up CW II tie-ins.

Seeing
Amadeus Cho
was cool if a bit random. The struggles Hercules is dealing with feel very authentic even if they get pushed a little too hard here...except
alcoholism
which they seem to have walked back. Pretty interesting that
Ulysses can't see the Uprising Storm.
I'm guessing this side story is going to be completely non-essential to the main event but I'm excited to see where it goes, looking forward to the next ish.

Only one of the three I've read so far is Action Comics and it was really fun. Zany, even.

Hagi

Try Super Awesome Lesbian BDSM Romance comic Sunstone. If you have tried that please get volume one of Stjepan Sejics Death Vigil. It is really fucking good and more people need to read it. Vol 2 in spring. The trade collects 8 huge issues, its a beast.

Death Vigil seems like something that's up my street so if it's at the store I'll definitely pick it up. I did say I was going to get into Sunstone at some point so might get it as well. I was thinking Copperhead or Huck.

Only one of the three I've read so far is Action Comics and it was really fun. Zany, even.

That's cool I've really enjoyed Lois and Clark so want to like the new Superman ongoings.

TheFlow

Banned

Green Arrow
Flash
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Green Lanterns
Action Comics
Superman
Batman
Aquaman

Basically the books I thought I would like based the announcements were the ones I ended up enjoying the most. If I were to recommend books to someone wanting to get into DC for the first time I'd go with Green Arrow, Flash, Action, Detective, and Green Lanterns.
Agreed.

I have never been excited for cape book like I have for green arrow. Black panther came close

Messi

Amen about the instigating Around here. It's fun in games till it goes from comic talk to calling a person a dick/shitty

As the king of comic GAF I decree we get back to comics
black panther reference

giphy.gif

Joffrey is the king, but Tywin is THE KING. There is a difference.

ngower

Green Arrow
Flash
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Green Lanterns
Action Comics
Superman
Batman
Aquaman

I bought all of them but Superman, Action Comics and Aquaman. Flash seems like it's gonna be pho king great once it really gets going.

Outside of the DC books, Vision, and Black Panther, are there any good superhero book that aren't too far into their run worth picking up right now?

Messi

Death Vigil seems like something that's up my street so if it's at the store I'll definitely pick it up. I did say I was going to get into Sunstone at some point so might get it as well. I was thinking Copperhead or Huck.

That's cool I've really enjoyed Lois and Clark so want to like the new Superman ongoings.

Huck is the better or the two. Copperhead hasn't come back from its 2nd hiatus and I have no idea where it is.

You will enjoy Sunstone. Beware Death Vigil vol 1 is 24.99 I believe. But its worth it. As I say it is 8 issues.

I bought all of them but Superman, Action Comics and Aquaman. Flash seems like it's gonna be pho king great once it really gets going.

Outside of the DC books, Vision, and Black Panther, are there any good superhero book that aren't too far into their run worth picking up right now?
I really dig Power Man and Iron Fist, Mockingbird, and Black Widow. All of them are still early on.

TheFlow

Banned

Moon knight

Power man and iron fist

Trust

All these books are at six issues or less and super easy to jump into: Black Widow, Mockingbird, Moon Knight, and Power Man and Iron Fist. All rad comics.

edit: Actually I guess all four of those are at four issues or less. Even better!

Messi

Hey, guys, let's keep in mind that not everyone reads everything, or gets to new issues, around the same time, so information and details that might seem obvious to some might be unknown/spoilers for others

The thread rules are there to keep the community a friendly welcoming place and the last thing I imagine we'd want is for newcomers or vets alike feeling cautious or wary to enter these threads

So especially with new issues, spoiler tags would be ideal and respectful for the entire spectrum of reading habits here

fair enough

They say that a spoiler.... changes you.
It makes you saltier.
More off-topic.
A lurker in the night.
Watching. Learning. Shitposting.
Each time I enter the thread I emerge.... reborn.
Put TheFlow on the other side.
And I will show up. Unspoiled. Adapting. And prepared....to post.

TheFlow

Banned
They say that a spoiler.... changes you.
It makes you saltier.
More off-topic.
A lurker in the night.
Watching. Learning. Shitposting.
Each time I enter the thread I emerge.... reborn.
Put TheFlow on the other side.
And I will show up. Unspoiled. Adapting. And prepared....to post.
Slow cap

Hagi

Huck is the better or the two. Copperhead hasn't come back from its 2nd hiatus and I have no idea where it is.

You will enjoy Sunstone. Beware Death Vigil vol 1 is 24.99 I believe. But its worth it. As I say it is 8 issues.

I think I'll just put Death Vigil in my pay day basket on Amazon then seeing as they have it for £15. Huck isn't out till July which is weird because I was sure it was out in trade already.

What do you think about Bitch Planet? that seems cool. Descender seems like it would be interesting. I'm big on Sci-Fi.

tim1138

Unused can develop into used though!

That design is terrible but no animal man rebirth is even worse

finally

comics can now rest in peace

Man, I don't know what to think of that Animal Man design. It's...kinda cool I guess? But the classic costume is, well, a classic.

Man I thought y'all knew me. The Animal Man one is alright, but that's goddamn B'Wana Beast on the bottom, Travel Foreman had a working design for B'Wana Beast and it will never be used. Freedom Beast showing up in Midnighter was cool and all, but it's just not the same

Top Bottom