• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Reading Silk #1 (which continues to be super fun btw) and they mention Secret Invasion. Specifically that a bunch of heroes were kidnapped and replaced by Skrulls for years. Years? Did Secret Invasion just retcon a bunch of shit if those heroes were supposed to have been Skrulls for years?

Reading Silk #1 (which continues to be super fun btw) and they mention Secret Invasion. Specifically that a bunch of heroes were kidnapped and replaced by Skrulls for years. Years? Did Secret Invasion just retcon a bunch of shit if those heroes were supposed to have been Skrulls for years?

Spider-Woman was one of them. It was actually the Skrull queen. On the other hand, they also established it was legit Hank Pym that hit Janet.

Did Secret Invasion just retcon a bunch of shit if those heroes were supposed to have been Skrulls for years?

The fact they didn't go far enough with this is part of the reason why Secret Invasion is not very good.

This was how #1 ended:
769186-secret_invasion_ship.jpg

We could have had full on Battlestar Galactica fuckery. Instead we got seven more issues of sweaty alien
and Janet
murder.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The fact they didn't go far enough with this is part of the reason why Secret Invasion is not very good.

This was how #1 ended:

We could have had full on Battlestar Galactica fuckery. Instead we got seven more issues of sweaty alien
and Janet
murder.

Are those all the heroes that were replaced "for years"?

Are those all the heroes that were replaced "for years"?

I think all of them except for Mockingbird were Skrulls. Which is kind of a shame, because come on, look at some of those costumes. The Wolverine one is the original one from Hulk #181, that would have been hilarious.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The Sixth Gun is wrapping up?

Maybe I'll read through the series - I could use some weird western horror.

Anyone read Wayward? I want something kind of fun & horror-y to read.

Civil War: Spider-Man #1 was pretty good for a tie-in. The level of involvement of the
Inhumans
is starting to get a little clunky, though, and has me wondering about the sequence of events/timeline of this event. I also don't get how suddenly Ulysses' power
is set off by location-based events? That doesn't seem to be the case in the main book.
Minor nitpick, just inconsistent.

I dug the twist. Thought I had it called early in the issue but they Shyamalan'd it and twisted the twist. I don't know that character, though. What's his name?

There's very little information on the wikia about Clayton Cole.

I assume he's gonna get more fleshed out as the series progresses.

VanWinkle

Watching this spotlight on Darwyn Cooke panel from a little over a year ago, and man is it interesting. I'm not too far in, but Cooke talked a lot about how the modern superhero landscape just isn't made for him, and how DC never asking him to write/draw a regular series or having him as anymore than a novelty proved it. It's really fascinating. Such a tragedy that he passed away.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The Sixth Gun is wrapping up?

Maybe I'll read through the series - I could use some weird western horror.

Anyone read Wayward? I want something kind of fun & horror-y to read.

Wayward is a blast. Make sure you buy the deluxe hardcover. It has some really interesting writings in the back on Japanese mythology.

Yeah Wayward is good clean fun and those essays in the back are great.

Rhaknar

Im reading Secret Invasion, just the main book, no tie ins this time.

Have I said Bendis is a hack? Because he is

KevinCow

Banned
I just finished reading Groot's comic and it made me cry a little bit. Overall it was really good and funny and charming, but that ending is a tearjerker.

Sandfox

Civil War: Spider-Man #1 was pretty good for a tie-in. The level of involvement of the
Inhumans
is starting to get a little clunky, though, and has me wondering about the sequence of events/timeline of this event. I also don't get how suddenly Ulysses' power
is set off by location-based events? That doesn't seem to be the case in the main book.
Minor nitpick, just inconsistent.

I dug the twist. Thought I had it called early in the issue but they Shyamalan'd it and twisted the twist. I don't know that character, though. What's his name?

Does it? Hmmm I might have to pick it up then. Is it twenty bucks?

edit: oh fuck I forgot to add last month's games to my PS Plus library. Hope I didn't miss anything good.

There's very little information on the wikia about Clayton Cole.

I assume he's gonna get more fleshed out as the series progresses.
Cole is a character that was introduced in the first issue of the 2014 run and his story was continued with Learning to Crawl in the point issues.
He was Peter's first ever villain who now works for him after getting out of jail and proving himself

On that subject the ASM tie-in book was really good and I'm looking forward to more.

I actually liked Secret Invasion and the story he had going on in New Avengers lol.

VanWinkle

Man, you guys. I forgot I took this picture. I went outside to go to work this morning at like 6:45am, and the lighting was absolutely beautiful. Light fog in the distant trees under a rising sun, airy clouds slowly passing through. What a sight. It almost made waking up for work at 6am not utterly miserable.

EbnwtW0.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, you guys. I forgot I took this picture. I went outside to go to work this morning at like 6:45am, and the lighting was absolutely beautiful. Light fog in the distant trees under a rising sun, airy clouds slowly passing through. What a sight. It almost made waking up for work at 6am not utterly miserable.

EbnwtW0.jpg

Looks amazing, like straight out of a Next-Gen Alan Wake
Do it Remedyyyyyyyy

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

Daaaaaaammmmmnnnn. When I wake up before 7 it's because they're a bunch of birds that live outside my window and they're a bunch of dicks.

TheFlow

Banned
"Oh Detective Comics #934... You're the Batman book I've always wanted."- freeze wrote this and I agree

didn't know I wanted a bat team book till now

Rhaknar

Brand being a badass as usual and Thor putting Tony in his place again which is always funny were the only good things about Secret Invasion (main book only, maybe the event is much better if you read all the tie ins I dunno).

Vision impresses me with the level of quality it manages to maintain with each issue.

GotG was pretty good. Though I really miss old cosmic Marvel.

Managed to find time to read Tec, Flash, and Wonder Woman.

Enjoyed them all. Tec was the biggest highlight with the focus on the Batfamily. Love Steph, Cass, and Kate so I'm all in on this. Flash was also enjoyable. I'm really glad I started getting into the character just before Rebirth. Very interested in seeing where this goes since it has the biggest connection to Rebirth.

WW was a solid setup issue, nothing more to really say. Like Batman and Superman, I'm sure it'll pick up steam once the main book begins.

Finished Daredevil S2. Was super disappointing and just plain worse than S1. Upset, but on the plus side I'm very optimistic for S3. Along with Luke Cage S1 and Jessica Jones S2.
I was going to write up a post on why I found Flash Rebirth to be super compelling, but then I saw this unused concept art and my night was ruined.
That's so fucking cool. Goddamn. I mean, Animal Man's been done, but B'wana Beast is like...holy shit. I love it.

uhhhhhh it was one of the best episodes????

and she had a great Jennifer Hale voice????
Fucking thank you. People being shitty, dissing that episode.
Freeza fighting the GOOD FIGHT.

I've always had the opposite problem, amusingly. I learned like all of my vocab by reading, so I can spell everything, but occasionally fuck up pronunciation :p
Are we brothers?
Storm: "Magik got this dont worry we're safe"
Everyone else: "What if Magik gets got?"
Storm: "...fuck"
Yeah but the issue where that shit went down was the best.
How can you call a human glob, a brain in a jar and a person whose skin is literally made of eyes useless?
Glob, Anole, Martha, and No Girl are the goddamned heroes of this book. Forge and Young Jean can get the fuck out.
Remender the X guy? No thanks, I dont want any more Axis garbage
Axis wasn't really his fault.

Too many people say it, so it really has no meaning.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Sounds rough. How long did it take you to adjust your sleep schedule?

Honestly my sleep schedule didn't change much. I was only 21 when I started working there and I was basically staying up until 4 or 5 and getting up at noon already.

But every year in late December I have to go on days for a week. I'm usually used to it by the end of the week. Just in time to go back on nights.

Graveyard shift represent. 7p to 7a. Feels great! Not really, so little social life with this nonsense.

I'd prefer graveyard shift. It lines up better with normal people hours than second shift. Though I wouldn't want the 12 hour days.

Hagi

Going to see Warcraft today hopefully it's good. Think I'll pick up Wacky Raceland you all have me intrigued with your praise for it.

Foofaraw

I'd prefer graveyard shift. It lines up better with normal people hours than second shift. Though I wouldn't want the 12 hour days.

I only work 3 days a week, so 12s are fantastic. It's also much quieter at work this way.

Going to see Warcraft today hopefully it's good. Think I'll pick up Wacky Raceland you all have me intrigued with your praise for it.
Really excited for Warcraft. Resubbed just to get that good feeling again. Lok'tar, green Moses.

whoaaa I looked up some pics of the wacky raceland issue. man this shit looks bananas, crazy art.

they crossed over mad max and hanna barbera lmao. definitely going to pick it up when the trade comes out. a bunch of assholes driving talking cars (they converse with each other apparently) trying to kill each other....greenlight the movie. wachowskis plz. george miller plz.

tim1138

Obviously some (wrong) person thought Animal Man looked lame and is now infecting my funny books.

While my freak out was over B'wana Beast, I do agree that the Animal Man costume is over designed. The simple blue and white look that Foreman came up for the N52 Animal Man book is much better than what he came up with here.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah Wayward is good clean fun and those essays in the back are great.

Wayward is a blast. Make sure you buy the deluxe hardcover. It has some really interesting writings in the back on Japanese mythology.

nice!

do we know how long the story is supposed to be? is it well read in singles or by trade?

also, is there some place to get the essays if i buy the trade paperbacks? thanks!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Saw this picture, I believe it's from the new Flash Rebirth comic, so don't click it if you haven't read it yet.
http://i.imgur.com/7dNF15u.jpg
That floor is so bad that I'm actually kind of annoyed that someone got away with putting that on a comic book. This dude found some shitty stock texture, pasted that there, took out the smudge tool and went to town and then called it a day.
PhDdSmv.png

DC just hired me.

I finished Detective and really enjoyed it... But seeing Batwoman reminded me of something. Is she a
vampire?
I stopped reading her ongoing before it ended but I forget how/if it was resolved. Or was that just a what if scenario for Future's End? My memory is so hazy sometimes...

Top Bottom