• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

It's still on going right? Do we know how long the book is planned to run, as in is there a set ending in sight?

About to start East of West soon myself. I can't believe I've missed out of some of the best books to come out recently that aren't from either of the big 2. Reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run currently though and fucking loving it. Wish I knew to read it before I started his Avengers stuff which I was picking up monthly at the time of his run.

East of West is my favorite comic right now, enjoy dude.

I don't think there is a set end date for Lazarus yet but I could be wrong.

Lol don't be a clown now :p. I posted my impressions Along with scores a couple pages back.
Batman rebirth isn't where the story arc begins for Tom Kings batman.

So what is it then? Filler? You called it a classic Batman intro. Intro to what? Are you saying this isn't the first issue in King's run? He's not going to build off the villain?

This is obviously the first issue in King's story arc. It just happened to not be very good.

Owzers

Cape books are like the WWE, they are always getting set up for the next big event when you really just want a good match with the possibility of it going somewhere instead of them jobbing to Jericho next week.

Cape books are like the WWE, they are always getting set up for the next big event when you really just want a good match with the possibility of it going somewhere instead of them jobbing to Jericho next week.

There's a lot of truth to this, sadly. I prefer self contained runs but they're becoming more rare. Especially on the Marvel side, it's all about that event cycle.

DC has me confused by tossing out this Watchmen stuff and then immediately ignoring it for their first four series launches. How is the Joker reveal not addressed in Batman Rebirth? It's almost as if Johns is in his own world and these scripts were finished long before any internal coordination.

So what is it then? Filler? You called it a classic Batman intro. Intro to what? Are you saying this isn't the first issue in King's run? He's not going to build off the villain?

This is obviously the first issue in King's story arc. It just happened to not be very good.

Feels like filler, honestly. We know the bare bones of King's first arc, got nothing to do with Calendar Man, on the face of it.

Are there no solo comics which would be suitable?

I buy comics for my young nephews.

Spidey is appropriate for younger readers, although they might not enjoy or understand some of the high school drama elements. Art is superb.

What you're really looking for is the Marvel Adventures line. They have collections of all the Avengers in teams or as solo characters. Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785126449/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nephews love those.

Feels like filler, honestly. We know the bare bones of King's first arc, got nothing to do with Calendar Man, on the face of it.

Now I'm even more confused. What was the point of the book? DC is relaunching everything and gives us a pointless, one-off Bats collaboration between King and Snyder? It didn't wrap any loose ends from New 52, and you're saying it's not going to tie much into the new series.

The other three releases tried to, you know, build up their new series.

Owzers

There's a lot of truth to this, sadly. I prefer self contained runs but they're becoming more rare. Especially on the Marvel side, it's all about that event cycle.

DC has me confused by tossing out this Watchmen stuff and then immediately ignoring it for their first four series launches. How is the Joker reveal not addressed in Batman Rebirth? It's almost as if Johns is in his own world and these scripts were finished long before any internal coordination.

that Watchmen stuff read like " you'll see this again in our next event "

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I still remember my last WWE Raw. It was May of 2003. There was a 45 minute Rock promo followed by 2 matches both of which lasted less than 10 seconds before outside interference ended them. Then there was like another 20 minutes of backstage bullshit before they got to the next match.

I kept with wrestling through ROH for a couple more years but their owners dicked me over on CM Punks farewell weekend so I dropped them too.

ANAD Avengers was all right I guess. Fun reveal at the end. The young half of this team is the best part of this book, the veterans barely have personalities. Waid's Cap Falc is kind of a dick and for a leader he sure is full of laughably awful ideas. Like I can't believe Vision and Tony followed his lead when he said they should
feed themselves to the weird monster/portal thing they know literally nothing about
without even questioning it.

The Wasp storyline has potential but it's barely there right now

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My problem with non-cape books is that they so often feel to cartoony or when not to boring when more serious from the premise
I can get hooked on stuff like The Walking Dead or 30 Days of Night, but its hard with other stuff.

Yeah, I am a idiot and go ahead and make you avatar quote...

ANAD Avengers was all right I guess. Fun reveal at the end. The young half of this team is the best part of this book, the veterans barely have personalities. Waid's Cap Falc is kind of a dick and for a leader he sure is full of laughably awful ideas.

The Wasp storyline has potential but it's barely there right now

I dropped it a few issues ago. I was only really reading it for Miles and Kamala.

August 17th. August 17th is the date that Batman #5, last issue in Tom Kings first arc on Batman will be out. We only have 2.5 months to go and we will be able to compare Tom King's Batman first arc to Court of Owls and Batman and Robin before it.

2.99x5. $15 is what it takes in 2.5 months to try out something. If your going to judge Kings Batman off a one-shot that was more of an introduction to Batmans new sidekick that was introduced by the writer before, that's not being fair to King. Go read the solicits for issues 1-5 and it makes this issue seem more of an introduction to anything but Kings Batman but more the supporting cast. It also served as a respect to the 100,000+ people that bought Snyders/Capullos Batman every month for the last 5 years.

TheFlow

Banned

Intro to batman fool. This is not the first part of kings arc. For a second how about you look at the incoming issues for batman. There is a batman rebirth #1 and then batman #1. Calendar man is just fodder. this book is more of a one shot and it is cowritten by sndyer... But if you wanna count it on kings run go ahead.

Furthermore, it is already widely accepted by every comic book site that batman rebirth #1 is solid. I mean if you wanna say it is bad all I can really do is go " lol k" because it is your opinion. I told you before that I can't talk about rebirth with ya because I always have to explain common sense so consider yourself lucky I wrote this much. Next time you getting a " lol k :p"

Sandfox

I just hope the are able to grab some big names.

ANAD was a insane bummer in that regard.
Also it seems like Slott is leaving/getting a big Book.

Where are you getting that from?

August 17th. August 17th is the date that Batman #5, last issue in Tom Kings first arc on Batman will be out. We only have 2.5 months to go and we will be able to compare Tom King's Batman first arc to Court of Owls and Batman and Robin before it.

2.99x5. $15 is what it takes in 2.5 months to try out something. If your going to judge Kings Batman off a one-shot that was more of an introduction to Batmans new sidekick that was introduced by the writer before, that's not being fair to King. Go read the solicits for issues 1-5 and it makes this issue seem more of an introduction to anything but Kings Batman but more the supporting cast. It also served as a respect to the 100,000+ people that bought Snyders/Capullos Batman every month for the last 5 years.
5 issues is a long time to wait before deciding whether you like a book or not IMO.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The only time I remeber an awesome use of Calender Man was in The Long Halloween and its sequel, and he wasnt even that big there

Where are you getting that from?
Lots of teasing in that direction on his twitter lately. I can read to much into it, but this time it feels really so.

Pretty sure they've been saying John's had a huge hand in seeing all the Rebirth one-offs to set the tone for the whole initiative. Beyond that I think the big stuff will be played with for a long while.

With Joker at least I hope it's just dabbled in for at least a while. I'm kind of played out on Joker after just finishing catching up on Snyder's run.

Messi

We can only judge what is released. I'm sure people here will also judge it when the first arc completes. But there is nothing wrong with giving impressions positive or negative after a first issue of a new book.

TheFlow

Banned
We can only judge what is released. I'm sure people here will also judge it when the first arc completes. But there is nothing wrong with giving impressions positive or negative after a first issue of a new book.
that is not what the problem was.

Also court of the owls was a longer arc than 5 issues

Edit: court of owls was huge

Sheesh a couple people in here getting real defensive about Rebirth books which is totally unnecessary and detrimental to discussion

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Sheesh a couple people in here getting real defensive about Rebirth books which is totally unnecessary and detrimental to discussion
its silly imo
Some people here didn't like it. I don't know why, maybe it was the hyper violence in it.

I just found the first issue a bit dull
I bought Green Arrow and Green Lantern.

#WhatHaveIDone #AllGreenEverything

GA is the best book this week (TWD a close second, Civil War is third for me), GL was meh

green arrow is the best thing I read this week and that is saying something given we had moon knight and deadly class this week

Echo shifting: nobody is getting defensive.

You just reminded me Moon Knight is this week. Did it take a dip? Seems like it's gotten no talk today.

Speaking as someone who can't read until late and gets all impressions from this thread.

TheFlow

Banned
Green lantern just felt like a basic introduction but at least it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Going to keep reading to watch them get rekted by the red lanterns.

Edit: the art for punisher is keeping me from buying the book.

Messi

Who cares about Moon Knight? GIANT DAYS is this week.

I adore this cover. Love this series so very much and she is my total fave.

STL007258.jpg

I'm not defending a book, I'm defending someone calling it bad when if you look at the evidence here and across the Internet from fans and critics, most like it. What is more detrimental to a discussion, trashing something because you didn't like it or defending something you know other people will enjoy?

TheFlow

Banned
You just reminded me Moon Knight is this week. Did it take a dip? Seems like it's gotten no talk today.

Speaking as someone who can't read until late and gets all impressions from this thread.

Moon knight is fucking awesome. Embrace the madness! lemiere was already a great writer but he is taking it to another level here

Green arrow-amazing
Deadly class- good( this is supposed to be an end to a arc but it didn't feel that way)
Moon knight-amazing
Batman-good
Green lanterns-good
Paper girls-amazing( I am the biggest paper girl doubter here but I gotta give it credit for the amazing art and wtf moments)

Top Bottom