• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Superman Rebirth #1

Before I begin let me say I have never read a superman comic in my life.

that being said this comic delivered the feels and Pre new 52 did a great job of honoring this worlds superman. I think this will be the first sup book I pull.

4/5 because the art wasn't as good as the writing
Are there nods to
Whatever happened to the Man of tomorrow?

TheFlow

Banned
Well Gleason will be there for the series.

I am pulling this book because of that team but they have much work to do to make me enjoy a Superman book.

oh shit that art looks way better. I am definitely on board with this Superman.

Busaiku

Superman Rebirth moved too fast for me.
"We have to find the resurrection junk. Oh, it's not here, ok I'll be Superman."
Having not read the previous stuff, I don't feel any weight from the other guy.

tim1138

Superman Rebirth #1

that being said this comic delivered the feels and Pre new 52 did a great job of honoring this worlds superman. I think this will be the first sup book I pull.

The art definitely fell apart in the back half, and the rando inking Mahnke instead of Alamy didn't help, but damn did the
flashback/Doomsday retelling look fantastic

TheFlow

Banned
Are there nods to
Whatever happened to the Man of tomorrow?

Never read that story but after a quick wiki search I can say it doesn't

The art definitely fell apart in the back half, and the rando inking Mahnke instead of Alamy didn't help, but damn did the
flashback/Doomsday retelling look fantastic
Oh man that flashback scene and pre new 52 Sups words of wisdom are the reasons why I gave it a 4/5.

Definitely one of my favorite flashback scenes done in comics.

Messi

oh shit that art looks way better. I am definitely on board with this Superman.

Have you not read their incredible run on Batman and Robin? That book has so much heart and incredible art. It made me well up a few times.

This page is so perfect

batmanandrobin37_3.jpg

Also issue #38 might be my fave superhero comic ever. Fantastic issue cover to cover, very emotional and fun at the same time.

Sandfox

I'll have to side with Korrupt here. With how many preconceptions we as fans come into a series with now-a-days and with how decompressed the writing has become*, 5 issues would be a fair shot if you feel it is a 5/10 or 7/10 for the first few issues.

If you hated or were completely bored with issue one or two, that is a different thing altogether.

I always aim for five issues at least (or the first trade). There are very few runs I've dropped before that.

If someone thinks a book is 5/10 they are going to drop it far earlier than that. I'm a proponent for sticking with books for a few issues, but if a book takes 5 issues to get people interested then the writer has failed. Most books these days are lucky to get people buying a second issue if they don't think the first is good, let alone five.

Green Lanterns was a pleasant surprise. I like the idea of a Earth based Lantern book staring Jessica and Simon. Hope Geoff mentored Sam enough for a bunch of solid stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Have you not read their incredible run on Batman and Robin? That book has so much heart and incredible art. It made me well up a few times.

This page is so perfect

batmanandrobin37_3.jpg

Also issue #38 might be my fave superhero comic ever. Fantastic issue cover to cover, very emotional and fun at the same time.

batman and robin new 52? That looks great. I only read some of batman and nightwing

PsychBat!

Banned

This page is so perfect

batmanandrobin37_3.jpg

What a fantastic issue that was.

Messi

batman and robin new 52? That looks great. I only read some of batman and nightwing

Yeah please pick up the entire new 52 run if you can. It is fantastic comics and it is by the new Superman team Tomasi and Gleason.

It had all the emotional weight that I felt Snyder's batman was lacking. A great companion as they were releasing alongside each other. The issues after Damian died in INC are heartbreaking.

Yeah please pick up the entire new 52 run if you can. It is fantastic comics and it is by the new Superman team Tomasi and Gleason.

Yeah, great run. Much preferred it to the main Batman run. Will definitely read their Superman.

If someone thinks a book is 5/10 they are going to drop it far earlier than that. I'm a proponent for sticking with books for a few issues, but if a book takes 5 issues to get people interested then the writer has failed. Most books these days are lucky to get people buying a second issue if they don't think the first is good, let alone five.

Maybe my opinion is a bit skewed because I trade wait or read on MU. Trying five issues might be a bit more hard to take if I were paying $2.99/$3.99 monthly.

Hell, it's hard to get them second issue if they thought the first one was good.

Superman Rebirth #1

You should check out All Star Superman

I thought Batman: Rebirth was okay. The way the issue was themed around
Calendar Man
was solid, the changes to that character were cool and I appreciated the ties to the whole concept of rebirth. The art was nice. But it definitely felt somewhat slight and vacuous. I got to the last page and said "that's it?" That said, if the ultimate goal of these one shots is to get you to try the new volume of the book then it was successful. I'm on board.

JTripper

This page is so perfect

batmanandrobin37_3.jpg

What a great run that was. The silent issue alone made me choke up

Best Superman:

Pfu8c0n.jpg

I love that story so much.

"This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good. It tells of his twilight, when the great battles were over and the great miracles long since performed; of how his enemies conspired against him and of that final war in the snowblind wastes beneath the Northern Lights; of the women he loved and of the choice he made between them; of how he broke his most sacred oath, and how finally all the things he had were taken from him save one. It ends with a wink. It begins in a quiet midwestern town, one summer afternoon in the quiet midwestern future. Away in the big city, people still sometimes glance up hopefully from the sidewalks, glimpsing a distant speck in the sky... but no: it's only a bird, only a plane — Superman died ten years ago. This is an imaginary story... aren't they all?"

what's everyone thoughts on "death of the family"

Not very good imo but Im not in love with Snyder's Batman even if I like it a lot in spots just not Death of the Family

"This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good. It tells of his twilight, when the great battles were over and the great miracles long since performed; of how his enemies conspired against him and of that final war in the snowblind wastes beneath the Northern Lights; of the women he loved and of the choice he made between them; of how he broke his most sacred oath, and how finally all the things he had were taken from him save one. It ends with a wink. It begins in a quiet midwestern town, one summer afternoon in the quiet midwestern future. Away in the big city, people still sometimes glance up hopefully from the sidewalks, glimpsing a distant speck in the sky... but no: it's only a bird, only a plane — Superman died ten years ago. This is an imaginary story... aren't they all?"
One of the very best Superman stories imo

Intro to batman fool. This is not the first part of kings arc. For a second how about you look at the incoming issues for batman. There is a batman rebirth #1 and then batman #1. Calendar man is just fodder. this book is more of a one shot and it is cowritten by sndyer... But if you wanna count it on kings run go ahead.

Furthermore, it is already widely accepted by every comic book site that batman rebirth #1 is solid. I mean if you wanna say it is bad all I can really do is go " lol k" because it is your opinion. I told you before that I can't talk about rebirth with ya because I always have to explain common sense so consider yourself lucky I wrote this much. Next time you getting a " lol k :p"

What a preposterously condescending post. Well done.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

So great. Loved that part.

I think Endgame was different.
I agree. The only time he didnt fucked the ending up.

Captain Marvel 5...hmmm not sure where I landed on this arc. At times it was really fun and cool. The setting and style are a refreshing change from most of my other cape books. The utilization of Alpha Flight was great. Nice to see Carol actually leading a team instead of just drifting in the background as she does in A-Force and The Ultimates...the problem is she isn't very good at it and that's on display in this issue quite a lot.

I felt throughout this issue like I had missed something or forgotten something, went back through and turns out I didn't, it was just filled with random deus ex machina conveniences which was disappointing. I liked the first four issues a lot more.

have, we've all been the asshole poster guy in this thread from time to time. Hell, you've done it yourself tragicomedy, and I know I've been

Now its The Flow's chance to shine. Let him do him for a bit.

Top Bottom