• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Owzers

Having a different opinion isn't contrarian. I am sorry I don't feel like Saga has had quality dips like you do. But accusing me of being contrarian doesn't do anyone any good.

But how do we know you're not just saying you're not a contrarian to be a contrarian?

Let's run a test: Roman Reigns is the best champion the WWE has ever had, do you agree?

New 52 Squad is a dumpster fire. Get the John Ostrander run trades or wait until Rebirth and see how it shakes out. But really get the John Ostrander run trades.

I have a good amount of the Ostrander run in single issues. Kinda want stuff with Harley in it but if it's that bad I'm waiting. Harley and Batman were the only new 52 books I even messed with.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just opened my package and realized that the Alan Grant Shadow of the Bat Collection finally arrived. Madness in Arkham included. I really love how DC currently rereleases all that old and hard to get Batman stuff. The art from Norm Breyfoggle is amazing.
My only wish is now a big Legends of the Dark Knight Collection.

Ross61

It seems Sean Gordon Murphy got a little excited and spilled the beans on him getting his own Batman book....
vRPL8lu.png

VanWinkle

This may sound weird, but like as I've been reading X-Men stuff, I've come to think that Teen Titans are sort of DC's version. I mean, it's obviously not exactly the same, but they have the same kind of feeling of youngish people dealing with real problems and working as a team that doesn't get the respect that "normal" superheroes do. Maybe I'm way off base, lol, I don't know.

He is, but its strange that he deleted the tweet almost immediately.
Ah, I missed the part where he deleted it. I can see what you mean now lol
This may sound weird, but like as I've been reading X-Men stuff, I've come to think that Teen Titans are sort of DC's version. I mean, it's obviously not exactly the same, but they have the same kind of feeling of youngish people dealing with real problems and working as a team that doesn't get the respect that "normal" superheroes do. Maybe I'm way off base, lol, I don't know.
I feel like Doom Patrol is a better comparison to X-Men as far as the concept goes. Execution is a little different though.

Messi

I have a good amount of the Ostrander run in single issues. Kinda want stuff with Harley in it but if it's that bad I'm waiting. Harley and Batman were the only new 52 books I even messed with.

The New 52 Suicide Squad ranges from complete crap to meh. Especially in regards to Harley. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Was just listening to a podcast and they mentioned All Star Batman is $4.99??

They way they talked about the 2.99 price point it always seemed like they were only talking about the books considered a part of Rebirth. Or at least their bi-weekly books or something. I can't remember what it was specifically but there was a little talk at the time that they were saying it a certain way to leave it ambiguous.

Messi

They way they talked about the 2.99 price point it always seemed like they were only talking about the books considered a part of Rebirth.

All Star isn't an ongoing? Or do they get to decide what is rebirth and what isn't. I guess as Scooby ect are 3.99. Other shoe has to fall at some point.

All Star isn't an ongoing? Or do they get to decide what is rebirth and what isn't. I guess as Scooby ect are 3.99. Other shoe has to fall at some point.

I can't remember what it was, but there was a podcast at the time that talked about them saying it a certain way to make it seem like there was a distinction between what would be 2.99 and not. They seemed to leave it ambiguous and most picked it up as meaning all books from then on, which they probably figured would happen.

Messi

I can't remember what it was, but there was a podcast at the time that talked about them saying it a certain way to make it seem like there was a distinction between what would be 2.99 and not. They seemed to leave it ambiguous and most picked it up as meaning all books from then on, which they probably figured would happen.

No doubt. I never assumed the Hanna Bar books were gonna be 2.99 but I assumed All Star Batman would be 2.99. But I guess you don't get the talent you have on that book without a higher price. Why would you bother correcting people when you are getting all that good press.

I thought all DCU comics were supposed to be $2.99 but maybe I remembered that wrong.

Hmmm, I just looked back and it seems like the quote does say every dcu book, but I do remember hearing about that because I remember them talking about the books still ongoing and not resetting as not being lowered on price. So I'm not sure.

Edit: Seems like on some articles there was a distinction between all DCU books and "all normal dc books" so maybe All-Star and specials would not be considered normal?

Messi

It's right there in the announcement:

As a follow up to Johns’ REBIRTH Special announcement, DiDio, and Co-Publisher Jim Lee, revealed to retailers plans to provide fans with more story, and more often. Beginning in June, all DC Universe monthly and twice monthly titles will ship at a new, lower price of $2.99. This new lineup includes a combination of DC favorites and new titles; titles will begin their runs under the “REBIRTH” banner and follow with another issue #1 beginning the series proper. In addition, DC’s two flagship legacy titles will resume their original issue numbering, also shipping twice monthly: DETECTIVE COMICS will pick up with issue #934, while ACTION COMICS will continue with issue #957.

I bet you All Star is not in continuity and just Snyder Batman stories.

It's right there in the announcement:

I bet you All Star is not in continuity and just Snyder Batman stories.

That seemed to be the big thing Snyder talked about though, is being in continuity. Was even talked about him and King sharing everything because it's kind of shared.

If it does end up being out of continuity and $5, that is going to make it really easy to skip until it drops to $2-$3 an issue or even waiting for a sale and grabbing it for $1 an issue. I have no problem with out of continuity stories, and I do want to read it, but those two factors combined kill any urgency I might have had.

Messi

That seemed to be the big thing Snyder talked about though, is being in continuity. Was even talked about him and King sharing everything because it's kind of shared.

That is surprising then. All Star Batman isn't listed on the titles announced for rebirth. I would take that as intentional.

Ross61

Snyder already said it's in continuity, but it does have A1 talent working on it. I'm not deterred if that is the price, but I do understand those who would be.

tim1138

I figured All Star Batman wouldn't be a $2.99 title since it's an All-Star book

Same, I always assumed it was a prestige title and would have a higher price point. Especially since it's going to have those backup stories by Declan Shalvey in each issue. The solicit for the first issue also says it's 40 pages, so it's oversized to boot.

Comixology has had All Star Batman listed for $4.99 for a couple of weeks now. And naturally, it's listed under the Rebirth section, because it's a damn Rebirth book that was announced during the DC Rebirth announcement. DiDio and Lee brought Snyder out with the Rebirth Bat family panel. I wonder how many more times I can work Rebirth into this paragraph. Rebirth!

Long story, short: DC went all in on the $2.99 game, but it's purely marketing bullshit. They've had more expensive books dropping every week since Rebirth began. There will continue to be $4, $5, and even $6 DC books coming out.

Top Bottom