• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

MaxHouse

Banned
is T'challa considered more intelligent than Tony

I been wondering in the MCU if they are going to portray T'challa's Tony's superior in terms of intellect..

Obviously Reed and Doom are the 2 smartest men in the marvel universe...but is T'challa above Tony

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Never heard of it. But I am a bit behind in my animu-watching. Probably gonna hit up that new Voltron anime after I finish the new season of Orange is the New Black.

I was just listening to Rhys Darby talk about that on Comedy Bang Bang. I think I'm gonna give it a shot too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does anyone know the name of the Wolverine book where a Wendigo is hunting a little boy, the little boy has a dog and
has to kill the dog because it was growling as they hid and the Wendigo would hear it
?

I remember that shit being so fucked up when I was a kid, and Ive been thinking about that book recently for...obvious reasons :/

I remember the art was like water colours aswell? Anyone have any idea what im talking about?

Does anyone know the name of the Wolverine book where a Wendigo is hunting a little boy, the little boy has a dog and
has to kill the dog because it was growling as they hid and the Wendigo would hear it
?

I remember that shit being so fucked up when I was a kid, and Ive been thinking about that book recently for...obvious reasons :/

I remember the art was like water colours aswell? Anyone have any idea what im talking about?

Wolverine #129-130, by Todd Desago, Lenil Francis Yu, and Jason Wright did the colors

Oh it wasnt even like a special? Huh. Not on MU anyway

not on comixology either. There's like a year or more of Wolverine stories after Larry Hama's eight-year run on the series ended where they scrambled to do a bunch of filler. Warren Ellis wrote a padded four issues, Claremont actually came back for this nonsensical four issue story, and Todd Dezago did a bunch of filler episodes just to keep this really popular book in publication.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not on comixology either. There's like a year or more of Wolverine stories after Larry Hama's eight-year run on the series ended where they scrambled to do a bunch of filler. Warren Ellis wrote a padded four issues, Claremont actually came back for this nonsensical four issue story, and Todd Dezago did a bunch of filler episodes just to keep this really popular book in publication.

Weird. Man that story was fucked up anyway, fuck those issues.

Read all of Bruce Jones' run on the Hulk.

I was really digging the whole "modern take on the '70s Hulk tv show" vibe they had going for a bit and then it got really weak.

Back to Peter David's run I guess.

Rhaknar

I really enjoy Matt Murdock in Spider-Gwen. And Im enjoying her book, much better than pre-SW. Issue #3 with 616 Spider Woman was cute, I want to see more with them together.

Messi

I really enjoy Matt Murdock in Spider-Gwen. And Im enjoying her book, much better than pre-SW. Issue #3 with 616 Spider Woman was cute, I want to see more with them together.

Spider-Women crossover is all about them two hanging out, also Silk is in it. They have laughs and fight stuff. I enjoyed it.

--

Cover for Harley Quinn #3
HARLEY-Cv3-dd5ce.jpg

Suicide Squad #2

Love Harleys new hair in both of these pics. So much better.

MartyStu

I still contend that Katana's movie design is superb and should now be used by the comics.

Still, she looks great on that cover.

Read all of Bruce Jones' run on the Hulk.

I was really digging the whole "modern take on the '70s Hulk tv show" vibe they had going for a bit and then it got really weak.

Back to Peter David's run I guess.

Peter David actually did some good stories after that was over.

--

Wanna wish Alan Davis a happy 60th birthday. Alan Davis is like my ideal superhero artist. He’s got Kevin Maguire’s facial expressions and body language, John Byrne/Neal Adams classical superheroic physiques, Gil Kane’s fantastic sense of kinetic motion and physical movements, and Dave Gibbons’ panel-to-panel storytelling ability. Pair him up with Mark Farmer or Paul Neary, you got a great lookin’ comic.

The fact that he's still doing strong work today points to his mastery over fast fads and current trends.

Also for contributing to the world this panel from the tragically short Mike W. Barr/Alan Davis run on Detective Comics

tective2.jpg

VanWinkle

Spider-Women crossover is all about them two hanging out, also Silk is in it. They have laughs and fight stuff. I enjoyed it.

--

Cover for Harley Quinn #3

Suicide Squad #2

Love Harleys new hair in both of these pics. So much better.

Love Jim Lee's art. I mean, I love Conner's too, though.

Rhaknar

Huh Jim Lee's art looks a lot different than his X-Men days. I dont even mean that in a bad way, just some artists don't really change even after many years

I feel like Jim Lee's style really stuck once he got Scott Williams and he's doing his thing ever since, cuz his early work is practically unrecognizable. The second issue he ever drew was this fill-in on Alpha Flight.

alphaflight1001-620x923.jpg

Once he found Scott Williams on X-Men, it was like "OMG were made for each other lets do superheroes posing in big panels for the rest of time"

Dont ask me to explain the visual storytelling happening on this Batman page, you just have to accept it. DAP SWAG

Got the Jaime Hernandez artbook in! Took some pics for whatsinaname:

First things first, it's GORGEOUS. Pages are nice and thick and the book itself is great.

I only skimmed through it but there's a good amount of content. There's writing, strips, and drawings (used and unused). Highly recommend it to anyone into Love and Rockets. Hard to beat it for $5.00 on HamiltonBook!

VanWinkle

Oh my GOODNESS!!! Just finished Shazam! by Johns and Frank. What a PERFECT book. Everything about it was just incredible. Reads just like a graphic novel in this format. It's full of joy, wonder, sadness, action. 10/10.

Retroactively makes me furious those two didn't do an ongoing out of this.

I laughed so hard at this:

HodKzMB.jpg

Rhaknar

What issue does Doom help Sue give birth to Valeria and is like "no I wont name her "Dooma" Richards you imbecile"?

Also whats a good issue for some valeria / doom antics, besides the hickman stuff, ive already read those

I agree with this except I think Banner would be 5 and would solidly rank Reed over Doom.

Nah. Time runs out puts Doom pretty firmly over Reed in the "raw intellect" category.

It's doom's emotional issues/hubris/lack of trust that end up screwing him over in the long run, which is really what secret wars was all about all things considered.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Here are the book getting tossed on the backlog this week......

AUTUMNLANDS TOOTH & CLAW #11
BLACK ROAD #3
CRY HAVOC #6
PRETTY DEADLY #10

Also maybe Drifter #12 if I get caught up and want to keep going.

Owzers

Not a great day of comic reading, iffy books, blackberry pie turned out OKAY but I probably could have skipped the corn starch a recipe ratings person suggested as it came out a little too gel-ish, and Overwatch is laggy on ps4 for me still.

Blah.

Rhaknar

Found and read the Valeria birth issue. Lol at that motherfucking ether. Doom actually fixes Johnny also at the same time as he's helping Sue.

Thats... thats a big L you have to carry there Reed.

List of comics I might read this week:

Detective Comics #935
Flash #1
Autumnlands Tooth & Claw #11
Black Road #3
Doctor Strange #9
Gwenpool #3
Ultimates #8

Not a great day of comic reading, iffy books, blackberry pie turned out OKAY but I probably could have skipped the corn starch a recipe ratings person suggested as it came out a little too gel-ish, and Overwatch is laggy on ps4 for me still.

Blah.

I just had a warm berry cobbler with ice cream

I think I win. Did I win? Yeah I did.

Leeeeest:

Action Comics 958
Awwwkwaman 1
Detective Comics 935
Flash 1
Justice League 52
Wonder Woman 1

TMNT BRDE 4

Black Road 3
Drifter 12
Rumble 11 (yessss)

Captain America: Sam Wilson 10
Civil War II: Choosing Sides 1
Doctor Strange 9
Gwenpool 3
Mighty Thor 8
Ms. Marvel 8
Nighthawk 2
Power Man and Iron Fist 5
Ultimates 8
Uncanny Avengers 10

Also, happy Father's Day. Call ur dads

(Also also, I'm not buying it but...Deadpool vs. Gambit? Really Marvel? Really)

Okay so I'm reading Thors.

And there's a Groot Thor.

A Groot. Thor.

A Thor who is also a Groot.

A Groot who is also a Thor.

And he says, "I AM THOR!"

This is the best thing ever.
A crime procedural with a bunch of Thors was a godlike premise that worked out so well
is T'challa considered more intelligent than Tony

I been wondering in the MCU if they are going to portray T'challa's Tony's superior in terms of intellect..

Obviously Reed and Doom are the 2 smartest men in the marvel universe...but is T'challa above Tony
It's not that T'challa is above Tony, it's that Tony is so damn arrogant that he gets caught up by his own hubris and fucks up. He also tends to get super jelly of other people, which makes him more competitive. Superior Iron Man is a perfect example: Tony without inhibitions is really fucking smart, but he is also extraordinarily arrogant and that's his big down fall.

Scarlet Witch really just kind of bored me. Had to drop it 3 issues in. Seemed all too typical and not as creative as I was expecting it.

Might drop Spider-Gwen as well. The last issue was a snooze and way too tropey for me.

Owzers

Now I'm starting to see the 50/50 everywhere, did decently well with a group this evening, went back late with just one person in a group and got demolished a couple times to even out that record.

Also never trust a crumble.

Scarlet Witch really just kind of bored me. Had to drop it 3 issues in. Seemed all too typical and not as creative as I was expecting it.

Yeah. Huge letdown. I stuck with it a bit longer but I'm done with that book.

It's baffling to me that they went with such a similar story to Dr. Strange without tying into it at all.

Rhaknar

Yeah. Huge letdown. I stuck with it a bit longer but I'm done with that book.

It's baffling to me that they went with such a similar story to Dr. Strange without tying into it at all.

Wait it doesnt tie into it? Whut? :eek:

Top Bottom