• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Vic_Viper

Other than Priest's run are there any other Black Panther runs I should check out if I havent read anything in the past? I havent read any of his solo books aside from the first issue of this new book out now and am looking for what are considered the best runs. His stuff in Hickman's Avengers was awesome but never really read much with him in it aside from the 2nd Ultimates book. I actually bought the first issue of Priests run when it first came out in 98 but never followed the book after.

That trailer was sick btw. Really hope the movie turns out good. Wish they had done the storyline from the Ultimates though.

Other than Priest's run are there any other Black Panther runs I should check out if I havent read anything in the past? I havent read any of his solo books aside from the first issue of this new book out now and am looking for what are considered the best runs. His stuff in Hickman's Avengers was awesome but never really read much with him in it aside from the 2nd Ultimates book. I actually bought the first issue of Priests run when it first came out in 98 but never followed the book after.

That trailer was sick btw. Really hope the movie turns out good. Wish they had done the storyline from the Ultimates though.

I mentioned Jason Aaron's 3 issue Secret Invasion tie-in before but as for longer solo runs there's really only Priest that's really good. Avoid Hudlin like the plague.

Right now Bendis is putting out the best work he has done in years. His weakest book is arguably Spider-Man and that book isn't bad, though it got caught up on crossovers for a bit.

This latest arc has been some good shit. I was so happy when Bendis said he wouldn't be tying into Secret Wars because it's been so long since the book hasn't been interrupted by events.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So I read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (new Runaways writer), and it was so totally my shit. I'm more excited than ever now, I've got no concerns about her being able to do them justice.

Mafro

There's a two-issue arc in Hickman's Fantastic Four (#607 and #608) that's really good. It deals with his relationship with Reed Richards and his crowning as King of the Dead.

As someone posted above, the Secret Invasion tie-in was really good too and there's also the current series which is definitely worth reading as well, I think they are doing a hardcover of the first 12 issues.

What's the reading order for Brubaker's Cap? Saw it was on sale at CMX and thought I should grab a volume or two since my old trades fell apart aside from Reborn.

Donnie, you saw this?

If you buy the collected editions on Comixology, you're gonna miss a few issues like the House of M (#10) and Civil War (#22-24) tie-ins. But you can basically start with Winter Soldier Vol. 1 and 2, Red Menace Ultimate Collection and then Death of Cap Vol. 1-3 for starters.

caliph95

Abe Sapien
How well known is he because people are fairly casual about a walking fish guy in a world where the apocalypse happened.
Though some of those people think he is demon fish jesus

I want to say this is from the year of monsters variant series Mike did a few years back. Very cool regardless! Anyone after a creepy wolf story should def read the wolves of st. august HB story.

Abe Sapien
How well known is he because people are fairly casual about a walking fish guy in a world where the apocalypse happened.
Though some of those people think he is demon fish jesus

Pretty well known, in the comics Hellboy & the BPRD are very public facing. Plus as you mention, the idea to that run is the actual apocalypse is going on as a backdrop. These are the normal people on the ground, trying to live their life and make sense of it when everything they've known is being unravelled and all security is stripped away. City sized monsters and demons are making the earth their home, these people have been desensitised to horror. Abe's book is cool too because it's kind of an analog of HB right. Two figures running from their supposed destiny, two men who are monsters but while HB went into the unknown and became fairly solitary, Abe seeks out his answers, and people and tries to live amongst them to try and be who he wants to be. It's a shame he and HB never met again in those circumstances with so much having changed in their lives, if only to see they aren't as alone as they think.

(How far are you in Abe? There's a really great little easter egg between vol 1 of Abe & Arcudi's BPRD run, I didn't pick it up until my second read through, wondering if you spotted it)

Mafro

Might not mean anything but I was just browsing Comixology and noticed the colour of War Thor's beard on the cover of Mighty Thor #20 has changed from blonde to brown/ginger

Old
rbxX4Bu.jpg

New
e070pkp.jpg

Volstagg?

Yeah, dropping Detective Comics after the Victim Syndicate trade. It was such a chore to read through. Competent but about as fresh and well written as a 10th season of a CBS procedural.

Yeah, dropping Detective Comics after the Victim Syndicate trade. It was such a chore to read through. Competent but about as fresh and well written as a 10th season of a CBS procedural.

Haha damn. I really liked that trade. The actual victim syndicate and the way they shake out wasn't the strongest, but I like the character work and time given to the character beats in the book. Of course, if you don't like Tynion's writing style or ear for dialogue, I can imagine it just doubling down on what you didn't like.

TheFlow

Banned
Might not mean anything but I was just browsing Comixology and noticed the colour of War Thor's beard on the cover of Mighty Thor #20 has changed from blonde to brown/ginger

Volstagg?

Yo wut! maybe they changed their mind on who they wanted Thor to be.

caliph95

I want to say this is from the year of monsters variant series Mike did a few years back. Very cool regardless! Anyone after a creepy wolf story should def read the wolves of st. august HB story.

Pretty well known, in the comics Hellboy & the BPRD are very public facing. Plus as you mention, the idea to that run is the actual apocalypse is going on as a backdrop. These are the normal people on the ground, trying to live their life and make sense of it when everything they've known is being unravelled and all security is stripped away. City sized monsters and demons are making the earth their home, these people have been desensitised to horror. Abe's book is cool too because it's kind of an analog of HB right. Two figures running from their supposed destiny, two men who are monsters but while HB went into the unknown and became fairly solitary, Abe seeks out his answers, and people and tries to live amongst them to try and be who he wants to be. It's a shame he and HB never met again in those circumstances with so much having changed in their lives, if only to see they aren't as alone as they think.

(How far are you in Abe? There's a really great little easter egg between vol 1 of Abe & Arcudi's BPRD run, I didn't pick it up until my second read through, wondering if you spotted it)
What easter egg
Abe and Grace just decided to go their separate ways

Current bestsellers on CMX EU:
1. The Walking Dead #168
2. Batman #24
3. Injustice 2 #9
4. Superman #24
5. Dark Knight III: The Master Race #9
6. Wonder Woman By Greg Rucka Vol. 1
7. Saga #43
8. Transformers: Lost Light #6
9. Paper Girls #15
10. Injection #13

What easter egg
Abe and Grace just decided to go their separate ways

I'll stick it in tags but it's a minor detail for Abe's first arc and a self contained issue in BPRD around vol 10,if anyone is unsure to click or not.

Do you remember the one shot in BPRD about the coffee shop dude who is trying to get someone to do something about the weird fungal grown that killed his neighbour? The neighbour is the radio presenter who doesn't show up for work by the end of the first arc as Abe is leaving the Salton sea. Both characters are named Ira. I checked with Arcudi and he said I was the first to pick that up that had mentioned it to him haha

I just thought that was a really cool subtle tie! Really nice attention to detail.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The right eye isn't blacked out anymore either.
I guess they were going with an Odyn thing with the white beard and one eye but not anymore? Weird.

Still not a fan of them not given that hammer to Thor, it's kinda BS that he's still hammerless after this long.

Sandfox

I'm probably done with Paper Girls. The book has gotten too random for me and I don't even understand what BKV is trying to do with the story other than shock value.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm probably done with Paper Girls. The book has gotten too random for me and I don't even understand what BKV is trying to do with the story other than shock value.

While I still love the comic, he has been kinda just been putting a lot of weird shit into it, without actually telling us what's happening. Weird how we still have no idea what either of the factions are about or what they're even doing.

Weiss

Banned
Most of the previous series is on sale right now.

Lost Light is great though. It's meandered a bit too much since the relaunch, but it's still highly enjoyable.

Yeah these six issues have been rough. Probably the weakest material Roberts has written for the series.

Which, I mean, it's still fine. It just isn't as good as what it's following.

Wanderer5

RIP Adam West.:( His Batman isn't the one I grew up with, but being Batman: The Animated Series instead, I ended up being fond of his role as the Gray Ghost there, along with the episode as a whole.

Top Bottom