• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Sandfox

Well semtembers solicits will drop any day now.

Not that I am waiting or anything. Refreshing every few hours. Nope, not at all.

Yeah, solicitations come out on the second to last week of the month and that's coming up. The lack of teasers implies that we probably won't be seeing anything next week though.

Messi

Yeah, solicitations come out on the second to last week of the month and that's coming up. The lack of teasers implies that we probably won't be seeing anything next week though.

I read the Marvel solicits every month just to see if Gwenpool still lives and if Gurihuru has stayed on the book.

Malyse

I think Wayne of Gotham would make one hell of a DCEU film.
My kid started reading miles morales after I kept buying the trades after USM died. Really have enjoyed his arc and the Spider-Man series with miles is pretty great. Any other comics out there like this?
Ms Marvel
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Unstoppable Wasp
I read the Marvel solicits every month just to see if Gwenpool still lives and if Gurihuru has stayed on the book.

Gwenpool: Did I ever tell you my favorite color is pink?

Can we talk about the fact that Gwenpool
just became the most powerful character in comics?

error4041

Defenders started off with a bang, fantastic art as well, really looking forward to seeing where the book goes before it gets canned in a year or two. Also can't believe I'm following 3 Bendis books at the moment.

Defenders started off with a bang, fantastic art as well, really looking forward to seeing where the book goes before it gets canned in a year or two.
laughinggirls.gif

Messi

Defenders started off with a bang, fantastic art as well, really looking forward to seeing where the book goes before it gets canned in a year or two. Also can't believe I'm following 3 Bendis books at the moment.

Bendis getting a book canned? Unlikely. Even International Iron Man was finished up to make way for them to do Infamous Iron Man with the same team.

Glad to hear it started well. Marquez art is amazing.

Bendis is actually Marvels safest bet right now. Its amazing lol.

Ok, My Favourite Thing is Monsters is all kinds of amazing! It is depicted in the form of a diary/sketchbook of the lead character, a young middle school girl. Her view of the suspicious death of a neighbour, set in mid 20th century Chicago. Oh, she is also slightly obsessed with all things gory and monstery. I am only a little ways in so really excited to see where this goes.

arkon

Ok, My Favourite Thing is Monsters is all kinds of amazing! It is depicted in the form of a diary/sketchbook of the lead character, a young middle school girl. Her view of the suspicious death of a neighbour, set in mid 20th century Chicago. Oh, she is also slightly obsessed with all things gory and monstery. I am only a little ways in so really excited to see where this goes.

Cool. Keep us posted. I had my eye on this for a while.

Sounds really interesting. I remember flipping through it a few weeks ago at the book store. The art was fantastic but I didn't realize it was a story. :O

Superflat

I have little to no familiarity with comics. Comics were rare to see in anyone's hands while I was growing up so they always had a allure to them but I never really got into it as a result, even when I started having disposable income.

What started out as sheer curiosity on youtube, I ended up consuming a lot of videos just in the past few days of people talking about the current comic book industry and I came across some talking about Gwenpool, and most of it was really positive -- so I decided to read a couple issues online, and I REALLY liked it.

I'm generally familiar (due to my youtube binges) with the changes I would find jarring if I just jumped in, like having successors to Cap America and Thor, and the "All New All Different" Marvel reboot of sorts, new characters, etc., but of course I haven't read any of them. People seem pretty split about the quality of Marvel comics these days, many of them being pretty lukewarm.

But anyway, I ordered Gwenpool Vol 1 and 2, and looking forward to reading em! I could get them digitally I guess but as someone with zero comics on their shelf I'm excited just to have physical comics, since I actually don't own any...

Kind of weird to start off with a outsider meta character, but it got me interested.

But this does kind of open the door for me to read more comics and find stuff I like. A little bit of research will probably send me in the right direction, but if there are any currently running series that really stand out, please suggest away!

Just reading through this thread is pretty informative as well.

caliph95

I think Wayne of Gotham would make one hell of a DCEU film.

Ms Marvel
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Unstoppable Wasp

Can we talk about the fact that Gwenpool
just became the most powerful character in comics?
Gave me Gillen' Young Avengers deja vu

I have little to no familiarity with comics. Comics were rare to see in anyone's hands while I was growing up so they always had a allure to them but I never really got into it as a result, even when I started having disposable income.

What started out as sheer curiosity on youtube, I ended up consuming a lot of videos just in the past few days of people talking about the current comic book industry and I came across some talking about Gwenpool, and most of it was really positive -- so I decided to read a couple issues online, and I REALLY liked it.

I'm generally familiar (due to my youtube binges) with the changes I would find jarring if I just jumped in, like having successors to Cap America and Thor, and the "All New All Different" Marvel reboot of sorts, new characters, etc., but of course I haven't read any of them. People seem pretty split about the quality of Marvel comics these days, many of them being pretty lukewarm.

But anyway, I ordered Gwenpool Vol 1 and 2, and looking forward to reading em! I could get them digitally I guess but as someone with zero comics on their shelf I'm excited just to have physical comics, since I actually don't own any...

Kind of weird to start off with a outsider meta character, but it got me interested.

But this does kind of open the door for me to read more comics and find stuff I like. A little bit of research will probably send me in the right direction, but if there are any currently running series that really stand out, please suggest away!

Just reading through this thread is pretty informative as well.

Welcome to the addiction!

You might like Spider-Gwen also, an alternate universe where Gwen Stacy was bitten by the spider instead of Peter Parker. Outside of superhero comics, I'm enjoying The Wicked + the Divine recently.

Superflat

I just came across the worst comics channel ever.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrlzSqLSGj8GIOeT5jrQsJA

It's so many videos of nothing but "SJW" bitching. Incredible.

I found his channel during my youtube comics binge lol

His propensity to bring up social politics (and his dislike of it in comics) is really repetitive and he vocalizes opinions that are clearly not PC. Definitely don't agree with everything he says but some things he brings up seems to have some weight, and I generally liked his videos so far. The thing that bothers me most is that he uses "SJW" in 2017 lol

And he just put up a vid about Gwenpool (and it seems positive)! Will watch.

Can we talk about how bonkers Remender's UXF roster is? Like okay you start safe enough:
Wolverine
Psylocke
Archangel
Deadpool
Fantomex (just to bring in some weird shit)

Then you accelerate by adding Deathlok. By the end of the run you have:

Wolverine
Deadpool
Psylocke
Kurt Darkholme (AoA Nightcrawler)
EVA (animated into human form on her own)

Like, that's nuts, right?
It's just fun comics. I don't know why people need to overcomplicate it. No one on earth got into comics with a completely continuity free issue. If something is unfamiliar, filling in the blanks yourself is literally the fun of reading superhero comics.
THANK YOU BIRDIE
THANK YOU

UNLESS YOU'RE LIKE, 60 AT MINIMUM, YOU AIN'T READING CONTINUITY FREE COMICS IN YOUR LIFETIME.
Anime girls laughing at you is the most demoralizing thing ever.

[edit]

I just came across the worst comics channel ever.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrlzSqLSGj8GIOeT5jrQsJA

It's so many videos of nothing but "SJW" bitching. Incredible.
Subbing just so I can remember to watch. This should be fun.

Haha yes, I can agree with that, it's really good comics. Arcudi has come so far with the Lobster, it's been such a thrill ride. I'm glad there's going to be some new trades soon-ish. If Mike brings Grim Death to comics (and I bet he will), that's got a real Lobster streak to it but with some really dark undertones.

Loved Loved Loved Caput Mortuum. I really like how Lobster Johnson just throws himself into danger.

Superflat

Welcome to the addiction!

You might like Spider-Gwen also, an alternate universe where Gwen Stacy was bitten by the spider instead of Peter Parker. Outside of superhero comics, I'm enjoying The Wicked + the Divine recently.

Checked out Spider-Gwen, and I'm really liking the art. Really loose and dynamic figure work! Will def keep it in mind.

The premise of The Wicked + The Divine seems pretty awesome!

superbeau

Neo Member

Thanks so much for all the replies, I think I got everyone. I wanna get a whole bunch of what was recommended. I'll probably start with Spidey, Super Dinosaur, and Lumberjanes. After that try Moon Girl, Gotham Academy, Monster Society, & Squirrel Girl. I'd love to get him the Khan Ms. Marvel if someone knows it's not anything above about PG.
I was also wondering if there's anything along the lines of Saga or Divinity that was at that PG level (or even if those books are) I'd like to get one book that really aimed big.

Messi

Thanks so much for all the replies, I think I got everyone. I wanna get a whole bunch of what was recommended. I'll probably start with Spidey, Super Dinosaur, and Lumberjanes. After that try Moon Girl, Gotham Academy, Monster Society, & Squirrel Girl. I'd love to get him the Khan Ms. Marvel if someone knows it's not anything above about PG.
I was also wondering if there's anything along the lines of Saga or Divinity that was at that PG level (or even if those books are) I'd like to get one book that really aimed big.

Saga is most definitely not pg.

Oh sorry, I totally missed this before. My kid is 9 so I've had troubles with this kind of stuff. He loved Super Dinosaur, he really loves the Art Baltazar/Franco stuff like Itty Bitty Hellboy and Superman Family. Lil Gotham. Not exactly a comic but the Pokemon Adventures manga has engulfed him and hits just the right level for his age.

Vic_Viper

Can we talk about how bonkers Remender's UXF roster is? Like okay you start safe enough:
Wolverine
Psylocke
Archangel
Deadpool
Fantomex (just to bring in some weird shit)

Then you accelerate by adding Deathlok. By the end of the run you have:

Wolverine
Deadpool
Psylocke
Kurt Darkholme (AoA Nightcrawler)
EVA (animated into human form on her own)

Dont forget the short stint Captain Briton put in lol. Such an awesome book that will probably never be done again in this day. It has to be one of the most graphic and darkest book Marvel has put out in atleast a while.

azyless

Saga is most definitely not.
Ms Marvel is a great book, though they are teenagers so there might be mentions of alcohol for example if that bothers you, there's no sex scenes or anything else too shocking. It's rated Teen and Up by Marvel.

Question about Dark Days: The Forge

Why is Green Lantern so big when he's fighting Duke? He looks like a giant in one of those panels. Can he manipulate his size?

I have a request. Please recommend me the current top 10 of the best monthly comic series which are on the market at the moment (10 because i only have money for ten per month).
Thanks!

PS. Saga is already on my list.

I have a request. Please recommend me the current top 10 of the best monthly comic series which are on the market at the moment (10 because i only have money for ten per month).
Thanks!

What's your actual budget? Some books cost more than others.

Thanks!

Astro City
Usagi Yojimbo
The Wild Storm
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Gwenpool
Giant Days

Wonder Woman
Superman
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

If someone forced me to buy single issues, I think it would be these at the moment. Have to see a lot more of the last three to strongly recommend them though.

Top Bottom