• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

i´d would like to add 10 to what i read per month. At the moment I only read Saga.

not more than 50
Hmm, so 10 books averaging 5 bucks each, can work with that.

Doom Patrol
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Superman*
Extremity
Alien Dead Orbit
Detective Comics*
Batman*
Magnus
Aquaman (start with the new arc)
New Superman

Would be my picks out of what I'm reading.

*Actually bimonthly but at 3 bucks an issue on Comixology I think the numbers work out.

I have a request. Please recommend me the current top 10 of the best monthly comic series which are on the market at the moment (10 because i only have money for ten per month).
Thanks!

PS. Saga is already on my list.

XO Manowar
Secret Weapons
Doom Patrol
Extremity
Kill or Be Killed
Deadly Class
Redneck
Black Hammer
Giant Days
Magnus

EDIT: honorable mentions because 10 is too few :(
Superman
Batman
Detective Comics
Aliens: Dead Orbit
Southern Bastards

Messi

I forgot Giant Days.

1 Shade
2 Giant Days (Esther forever)
3 Doom Patrol

Big props to young animal. What a home run for DC.

i´d would like to add 10 to what i read per month. At the moment I only read Saga.

Black Hammer
Descender
Southern Bastards
Deadly Class
BPRD (new #1 next month)
Batman

I got to 6 lol. Those are the books I feel most enthused about when I look at my shelf. The Young Animal books aren't in trade yet but I imagine those will be up there once they are. Lazarus and Rumble would make the list but both have went on break.

Ten is tough very tough :(

Motor Girl

Black Monday Murders
Deadly Class
East Of West
Giant Days
Saga

Doom Patrol

Thor
Squirrel Girl
Ultimates 2

I also would have 4 kids walk into a bank up there, but thats barely yearly never mind monthly ha. I've still got to catch up with a lot of latest series Marvel and DC Rebirth stuff. Only DC I've read are Green Arrow and Superman and they wouldnt be anywhere near my top ten (especially Green Arrow)

superbeau

Neo Member
Saga is most definitely not.
Ms Marvel is a great book, it's rated Teen and Up by Marvel.

Ok I might have to skip Ms Marvel then. At least for a while.

I'd really like to find a more epic and strange book like Saga, so I hope to find something.

Oh sorry, I totally missed this before. My kid is 9 so I've had troubles with this kind of stuff. He loved Super Dinosaur, he really loves the Art Baltazar/Franco stuff like Itty Bitty Hellboy and Superman Family. Lil Gotham. Not exactly a comic but the Pokemon Adventures manga has engulfed him and hits just the right level for his age.

Super Dinosaur I'll for sure get. I looked at the Art Balthazar stuff and I don't think he'd like that but thank you for the suggestion

Has anyone read The Lost Boy?

Well I don't read too much Black Mask but I think Rosenbergs too busy making that Marvel money right now for 4 Kids or We Can Never Go Home 2 :(

They seem to be very disorganized. In late 2015, they had some lawsuit they needed to contend with and that held up the releases of WCNGH's last few issues and supposedly any further issues of Young Terrorists; however, the latter took even longer to release past whatever they were supposedly dealing with (and that series didn't have Rosgenberg on it). YT #2 came out like a year and a half after the first one. Also, they are absolutely terrible at releasing their comics digitally on a consistent schedule; they sometimes come months after the print release. Moreover, I don't think 4KWIAB is getting held up on Rosenberg; typically, books get held up by art or editorial. I think it's a combination of those in this case.

Ok I might have to skip Ms Marvel then. At least for a while.

I'd really like to find a more epic and strange book like Saga, so I hope to find something.

Super Dinosaur I'll for sure get. I looked at the Art Balthazar stuff and I don't think he'd like that but thank you for the suggestion

Has anyone read The Lost Boy?

I'm sure whatsinaname read it recently. No bother dude, it is actually really difficult to find comics for kids that age, which seems crazy right? There are a lot of comics where the tone seems right like marvel's Monsters Unleashed but the actual writing style is clearly for older readers, just in terms of the sheer amount of text etc. Ive honestly given up with American comics, I'll just make another push when I feel he can read the regular stuff. Marvel's kid offerings are especially the worst. Literally just freeze frame adaptations of episodes of their cartoons.

They seem to be very disorganized. In late 2015, they had some lawsuit they needed to contend with and that held up the releases of WCNGH's last few issues and supposedly any further issues of Young Terrorists; however, the latter took even longer to release past whatever they were supposedly dealing with (and that series didn't have Rosgenberg on it). YT #2 came out like a year and a half after the first one. Also, they are absolutely terrible at releasing their comics digitally on a consistent schedule; they sometimes come months after the print release. Moreover, I don't think 4KWIAB is getting held up on Rosenberg; typically, books get held up by art or editorial. I think it's a combination of those in this case.

Well I think hes mentioned he had personal problems (the ill health of his father) which caused the big delay between 4 kids issue 2 and 3, but I don't know why there was a big delay to issue 4 and again. He seems to be getting plenty of Marvel issues out there now anyway, Secret Warriors, Kingpin and Venomverse

Well I think hes mentioned he had personal problems (the ill health of his father) which caused the big delay between 4 kids issue 2 and 3, but I don't know why there was a big delay to issue 4 and again. He seems to be getting plenty of Marvel issues out there now anyway, Secret Warriors, Kingpin and Venomverse

yeah, I don't know. See, they say things like that, but then the reality is different lol

yeah, I don't know. See, they say things like that, but then the reality is different lol

Nrama: So 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank returns from a long hiatus this week with #3. Can you talk about that delay at all, and what precipitated it?

Rosenberg:
In short, life happened. I was trying not to talk about it for a bit because it was very personal, but I definitely owe it to our readers. Basically in the beginning of the year my father collapsed at his home in Connecticut. I rushed up to be by his side at the hospital... and I basically stayed there for six months. I had to drop almost everything to help out and support my family. I cancelled some projects, I cancelled a bunch of appearances, and 4 Kids had to be delayed. It's a pretty awful feeling to leave the readers who buy your book, the stores who support you, and your collaborators and publisher in the lurch, but I physically couldn't write it. Not to mention the idea of working on my comic about the strained relationship between a parent and a child was a little more than I think I could handle at the time.

Luckily for me, my dad was released from the hospital a few months ago and is improving every day. I've moved back home and am getting my life back in order. And my collaborators - Tyler, Thomas, Clare, and Courtney - have been beyond supportive and understanding. And Black Mask has as well. I'm really thankful to get to work with all of them.

I don't know, I think it would be a pretty shady thing if he was lying about that, but I bet there is lots of other instances where people are making up excuses to hide company problems. I just don't get the big delay between 3 and 4, maybe they had to resolicit it all with Diamond or something.

Dont forget the short stint Captain Briton put in lol. Such an awesome book that will probably never be done again in this day. It has to be one of the most graphic and darkest book Marvel has put out in atleast a while.
Britain was a dick. He just yanked Betsy into Otherworld and was like "bitch we dyin'." Spurrier's run was just as brutal, and the Kyle & Yost run that Remender followed was significantly more brutal. Significantly more brutal.
Not really monthly though. It shouldn't take up a monthly sub spot.
You're a monthly sub spot

Nrama: So 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank returns from a long hiatus this week with #3. Can you talk about that delay at all, and what precipitated it?

Rosenberg:
In short, life happened. I was trying not to talk about it for a bit because it was very personal, but I definitely owe it to our readers. Basically in the beginning of the year my father collapsed at his home in Connecticut. I rushed up to be by his side at the hospital... and I basically stayed there for six months. I had to drop almost everything to help out and support my family. I cancelled some projects, I cancelled a bunch of appearances, and 4 Kids had to be delayed. It's a pretty awful feeling to leave the readers who buy your book, the stores who support you, and your collaborators and publisher in the lurch, but I physically couldn't write it. Not to mention the idea of working on my comic about the strained relationship between a parent and a child was a little more than I think I could handle at the time.

Luckily for me, my dad was released from the hospital a few months ago and is improving every day. I've moved back home and am getting my life back in order. And my collaborators - Tyler, Thomas, Clare, and Courtney - have been beyond supportive and understanding. And Black Mask has as well. I'm really thankful to get to work with all of them.

I don't know, I think it would be a pretty shady thing if he was lying about that, but I bet there is lots of other instances where people are making up excuses to hide company problems. I just don't get the big delay between 3 and 4, maybe they had to resolicit it all with Diamond or something.

To give Rosenberg the benefit of the doubt, if this happened at a point where he was still writing (assuming he writes books months in advance), he probably had way more leniency at BMS than at Marvel; Marvel probably has him under a contract and missing those dates would be a good way to get into trouble.

If he ended up only writing #4 a few months ago, they would still need to give the artist several months to complete that one and get back on schedule again.

However, #5 doesn't come back until December, so I have no idea man lol

All this discussion of kid-friendly comics got Gladstone's School For World Conquerors back into my head (one of my fave all-ages comics ever), which then got me to wondering "Hey, what's Mark Andrew Smith been up to since that anyway?" It looks like...other than Sullivan's Sluggers... basically nothing? Did that whole Kickstarter debacle + the fight with Stokoe basically cause him to leave comics completely?

I have a request. Please recommend me the current top 10 of the best monthly comic series which are on the market at the moment (10 because i only have money for ten per month).
Thanks!

Paper Girls
God Saper
Gwenpool
Outcast
Squirrel Girl
Motor Girl (10 issue limited run)
Black Panther and the crew (cancelled)
The Wildstorm
Jean Grey

God, this Joker by Janin and Chung:
dcx2hnpxgaahkg6a4sq2.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Thanks!

Manifest Destiny <---------------------------!!!!!!!!!!!
Monstress
Black Hammer
Birthright
East of West
Deadly Class
Paper Girls
Southern Bastards
Lazarus
Rumble

Sandfox

Rosenberg tweeted that personal problems are still affecting his work and he had to turn down two dream projects because of it.

Bill Finger Award for Excellence in Comic Book Writing recipients:

The late Jack Kirby and Bill Messner-Loebs have been named as the 2017 receipents of the Bill Finger Award for Excellence in Comic Book Writing. Comic-Con International: San Diego announced the honors, with the awards chosen by a committe made up of Kurt Busiek, Marv Wolfman, Scott Shaw!, Jim Amash, Charles Kochman, and chairman Mark Evanier.

"As always, I asked on my blog for suggestions of worthy recipients," said Evanier. "Many were nominated and the committee chose Bill as the worthiest of those still alive and working, and Jack because although his artwork has always been justly hailed, his contribution as a writer has been too often minimized or overlooked. In fact, in the years we've been doing this award, Jack Kirby has received many more nominations than anyone else, but we held off honoring him until this year because it seemed appropriate to finally do it in the centennial of his birth, and because members of his family will be at Comic-Con to accept on his behalf."

The Bill Finger Award was established in 2005 in light of the overlooked Batman co-creator, Bill Finger.

"The premise of this award is to recognize writers for a body of work that has not received its rightful reward and/or recognition," said Evanier. "Even though the late Bill Finger now finally receives credit for his role in the creation of Batman, he's still the industry poster boy for writers not receiving proper reward or recognition."

The 2017 Bill Finger Awards are sponsored by DC Comics, Heritage Auctions, and Maggie Thompson. The awards themselves will be given out during the Eisner Awards ceremony Friday, July 21 at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel during Comic-Con International: San Diego.

Thanks!

Shade, the Changing Girl
The Wild Storm
Wonder Woman (at least until Greg Rucka leaves)
Squirrel Girl
Thor
Deadly Class
Kill or Be Killed
BPRD when it returns

A lot of the other comics I really like, like Doom Patrol, Bug!, Love & Rockets, or other Image books, are either minis or don't come out every month. These are all consistent and good.

Superflat

Well this sucks. Amazon delivered vol 1 of Gwenpool in front of my doorstep and when I went to pick it up, the package was ripped open and the book missing. I've never had anything stolen and I've had a ton of packages dropped off in front of my door. At least it was a 12 dollar item and I can get a refund/replacement.

UGH.

dan2026

The Joker always looks quite good in black rather than purple.

I haven't really liked what I have read of King's run so far but I might try this story as I like Joker and Riddler.
I just hope King writes them well...

Well this sucks. Amazon delivered vol 1 of Gwenpool in front of my doorstep and when I went to pick it up, the package was ripped open and the book missing. I've never had anything stolen and I've had a ton of packages dropped off in front of my door. At least it was a 12 dollar item and I can get a refund/replacement.

UGH.
Sorry to hear that dude. Some cunts will steal anything.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

UGH.

If you're gonna do a +$50 order, try out www.instocktrades.com, it's where a lot of people buy trades since they're cheap as hell there.

At least it is if you're in US, not sure about other countries.

[edit]

Read 3 chapters Batwoman Elegy, so far the story isn't amazing and I'm a little lost since this seems to be a continuation of a past Batwoman run, but the art is really lovely, so I'm all in just for that.

UGH.
Dang that sucks. I have only had one item go missing like that. Of course it had to be Zelda:BOTW got a refund and bought it digitally because I needed to play as soon as possible

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Glorious!

Stop. I can only get so erect.

Yesssssssssss~

I'm surprised the shelf isn't bending under the weight.

That's a lot of space comics.

My summer reading is sorted. I actually wanted to reread Annihilation as well because I forgot most of it, but it's impossible to find. I need to stop buying these now, bought Animal Man and X-Statix ages ago and didn't read them yet.

Top Bottom