• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

shingi70

Banned
Marvel is in a weird replace, they've killed themselves doing contact #1s, and going back to original numbering is going to confusing for any new or casual reader the picked up in the last few years.

Messi

I'd bet changing to match Rebirths price wouldn't make a difference. The problem is deeper than that. The main line and books attached aren't interesting while the smaller books are where it's at.

Marvel is in a weird replace, they've killed themselves doing contact #1s, and going back to original numbering is going to confusing for any new or casual reader the picked up in the last few years.

It's all in their plan. Cause renumberings to fail by using way too many for no real reason, then they will point to the numbering as the reason for the books failing. Everything will be a number 1 from then on out. Every issue is a jump on point!

mreddie

Do it like AN Marvel Now where they slapped #1 on continuing titles.

That would be weird.
Shouldn't it be? The problem with doing an FF book without the actual FF is attempting to recreate a dynamic that simply can't, nor should, be recreated. So let's say you've got Doom, who is both arrogant and repentant. He's a genius monarch sorcerer who is trying to correct his mistakes. He's been given a second chance, and he's trying to take it, but he's still fucking up. He consistently has that urge to play god and force things to happen when they don't want to. He's also having massive identity issues, as he's trying to be a hero that he merely can't be. He's striving for a goal he can't really obtain. Doom has enough going on with himself to successfully drive his own book.

So now you take that and bring in Johnny and Ben and that creates an extremely cool and interesting dynamic. Different from who they were before. Ben used to be the heart of the team who kept everyone grounded and in check, despite being the weakest member as far as powers and skills go (I think it's debatable whether or not he was the best pilot in the group). Johnny (who is the most boring member to me) is the one who keeps everyone on their toes. He's the showman and the jokester. Reed was the leader and brains, and Sue was very much the soul: the emotional core of everything. She was that loving presence that relaxed and focused everyone.

But let's say we equate the dynamic to now: You're effectively replacing Reed with Doom in the most base sense (the genius intellect and leadership). How do you replace Sue? If adult Jean was still around, she would have been my nomination as the closest. I can't think of many others. But this dynamic is different, so the person replacing Sue should be similar, but different (much like Reed to Doom). Moon Girl was just a random suggestion.
Fish is so good.

Goddamn.

Sandfox

Shouldn't it be? The problem with doing an FF book without the actual FF is attempting to recreate a dynamic that simply can't, nor should, be recreated. So let's say you've got Doom, who is both arrogant and repentant. He's a genius monarch sorcerer who is trying to correct his mistakes. He's been given a second chance, and he's trying to take it, but he's still fucking up. He consistently has that urge to play god and force things to happen when they don't want to. He's also having massive identity issues, as he's trying to be a hero that he merely can't be. He's striving for a goal he can't really obtain. Doom has enough going on with himself to successfully drive his own book.

So now you take that and bring in Johnny and Ben and that creates an extremely cool and interesting dynamic. Different from who they were before. Ben used to be the heart of the team who kept everyone grounded and in check, despite being the weakest member as far as powers and skills go (I think it's debatable whether or not he was the best pilot in the group). Johnny (who is the most boring member to me) is the one who keeps everyone on their toes. He's the showman and the jokester. Reed was the leader and brains, and Sue was very much the soul: the emotional core of everything. She was that loving presence that relaxed and focused everyone.

But let's say we equate the dynamic to now: You're effectively replacing Reed with Doom in the most base sense (the genius intellect and leadership). How do you replace Sue? If adult Jean was still around, she would have been my nomination as the closest. I can't think of many others.

Goddamn.

I meant that it would be weird to have a book starring Moon Girl and a bunch of grown men.

How about a Helicarrirer crash into the X-Mansion.

That almost happened during Bendis' run. ALMOST. I believe Dark Beast hijacked the helicarrier to drop it on the Jean Grey School and Hijack managed to keep it from happening.
I meant that it would be weird to have a book starring Moon Girl and a bunch of grown men.

Three_men_and_a_baby_p.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
X-Mansion for sure.

I'm currently reading Astonishing X-Men, New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and X-Men from the 2004 relaunch point and Black Tom's (Groot Tom) Brotherhood just fucked the mansion up pretty good. No mention of it in the other books. I'm sure they'll all destroy it themselves in the near future.

dh4niel

Having super intelligent children is one of the tropes I hate the most. The New Hellfire Club in Wolverine and the X-Men and Future Foundation are the most insufferable little shits.

Valerie Richards I can accept, the rest no.

Having super intelligent children is one of the tropes I hate the most. The New Hellfire Club in Wolverine and the X-Men and Future Foundation are the most insufferable little shits.

I hate the constant pointing out at the top 5 intelligent people in the Marvel U. Moon Girl, Riri, Cho...Just forget everyone else, these guys are smarter.

Mafro

I loved Aaron's run on X-Men (before AvX completely fucked it) but that new Hellfire Club were a joke. The bit in Schism where they take out the X-Men with minimal effort was ridiculous.

I don't mind superintelligent children, as long as they are still written as children, which is the hard part. It's why I like the Richards kids.
I loved Aaron's run on X-Men (before AvX completely fucked it) but that new Hellfire Club were a joke. The bit in Schism where they take out the X-Men with minimal effort was ridiculous.
I read the first trade of Aaron's WatXM and I can safely say that if I have a reason for dropping, they're responsible.

Sandfox

They are listed there as being renumbered. Did they get another #1 or something recently?

Spider-Gwen was renumbered post-SW and they are adding the original issues to the numbering. The same thing will likely be happening with Squirrel Girl.

Gwenpool is adding the Howard backups, which were later combined into a single issue to the numbering.

Wanderer5

Spider-Gwen was renumbered post-SW and they are adding the original issues to the numbering. The same thing will likely be happening with Squirrel Girl.

Gwenpool is adding the Howard backups, which were later combined into a single issue to the numbering.

Ohhh that's right. Yeah could see it happening to Squirrel Girl too.

Paste magazines Best Comics of 2017 (so far) list.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/the-20-best-comics-of-2017-so-far.html

Many books I enjoyed are on the list (My Favourite Thing..., The Best We Could Do, Wild Storm, Sticks Angelica) so I should definitely give the rest a shot.

Anyone read Shattered Warrior?

Also, I didn't know there was a Matt Fraction/Jonathan Coulton book called Solid State?
Oh thanks for posting this. I'm gonna take a look through and order some down the line.
It's amazing how much bullshit you miss when you don't follow twitter drama.

Who could have seen that a Monsters Unleashed book would flop spinning out of a Monsters Unleashed event that flopped hard.
Unfollowing Nick Spencer was one of the best moves I made on Twitter honestly.

Only a six issue run to deal with the brother storyline. Not too bad I guess.

That's going to be six months of fill ins by the time Robinson is done. DC is going to need a huge name to revive interest in WW after that.

Pretty bummed by this announcement but its good to see that James back. Robinson loves the DCU more than almost anyone he was clearly very bitter at being jerked around Earth 2 and it proposed spin off book.

Top Bottom