• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

what was your problem with vol 6

Aside from the fact it took two entire years for those six issues to ship (September 09-11) oupled with the story structure of telling the same events each issue from a different POV, I just thought the degradation of the art quality from Mitten to the takeover from Veteto was appaulling. The second half is some of the worst professional work I remember seeing. Again, such a shame because the first 25 issues were just incredibly exciting visually.

I think The Fuse ended fine, although I haven't read that one myself. I believe part of the books contract involved him getting a minimum 4 volumes so the same thing wouldn't happen as Umbral.

Amazon UK are absolutely awful for inflating the price of trades. Sometimes £10/£20 overpriced. Thank god for third party sellers.

Lol yea, I usually go third party but I was looking on Amazon a few weeks ago for stuff I wanted quick, and it was just a total no go. It seems like they were trying to get standard trade pricing at £15.99. Just no lol.

Still a relatively recent discovery for me...

Haha where have you been using? I like Wordery for their catch all express delivery option, and they run codes pretty often for 10% off of every book after the first. Makes a nice saving on bulk orders. When I bought the Bloodshot Reborn trades last month, I think each vol ended up being around £5.70. Compared to £16...

Haha where have you been using? I like Wordery for their catch all express delivery option, and they run codes pretty often for 10% off of every book after the first. Makes a nice saving on bulk orders. When I bought the Bloodshot Reborn trades last month, I think each vol ended up being around £5.70. Compared to £16...

Amazon is my go to. But I've been using 3rd party more and more recently like when I bough the first 2 volumes of Baltimore.

Messi

Well Tess' work wasn't worth it anyways, so no love lost there (she's a fine artist, but not on Rat Queens for damn sure). But why try to bring Upchurch back? There's no way he didn't know that it would end badly.

He's still good friends with Roc and is trying to support him.

tim1138

Hitch's JL run will be coming to an end soonish. He tweeted that he just started work on his last arc, it begins in issue 33.

Hitch's JL run will be coming to an end soonish. He tweeted that he just started work on his last arc, it begins in issue 33.
Huh, I wonder if that means the rumor about Snyder taking over from before Rebirth was announced is going to end up be true. Does look like things are entering a Part 2 kinda thing with Doomsday Clock.

I tend to order through the third party sites on Amazon, cheapest are usually wordery or book depository, sometimes a smaller site. I shouldn't really because I work with Amazon and they are idiots and treat suppliers like shit but what you gonna do money is money. Ordering through the third party sites themselves is usually more expensive.

Helps I tend to order releases that are from a year or so back, rather than new releases when they come out.

giphy.gif

skybald

And wtf at that Vertigo sale, there's SOOO MUCH

I wanted to check out Sandman and Preacher, but there are waaaayyyyy too many volumes to buy
Just set a budget and get what you can. That is what I do.

I buy stuff when it is on sale. Then read it. When there is another sale I buy more and it gives me a reason to refresh my self on the older stuff too instead of binging. I feel like you miss a lot of detail when you binge.

I really want Tom Taylor on Justice League if they aren't getting someone really big on it. His work on Injustice shows he can handle a wide range of characters and his 3 part story he did near the end of Batman/Superman was really damn good.

J_Viper

Just set a budget and get what you can. That is what I do.

I buy stuff when it is on sale. Then read it. When there is another sale I buy more and it gives me a reason to refresh my self on the older stuff too instead of binging. I feel like you miss a lot of detail when you binge.

See, this is the smart thing to do

But here I am with the entire Sandman, Preacher, and Y runs in my cart, and I'm staring at that checkout button

Wow:
Paris, June 20th – DC Entertainment and Dargaud are pleased to announce an unprecedented publishing event to thrill fans of Batman, comic books, and bande dessinée worldwide.

The renowned European comic book creator Enrico Marini will write and illustrate an original Batman story, to be published in two volumes. The first book is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 3rd 2017. The second volume will follow in Spring 2018. The title is top secret, for now.
Enrico Marini, co-author of Scorpion (2MM albums sold worldwide) and creator of Les Aigles de Rome (over 500,000 copies sold worldwide) is a major creative voice in the European comics market. His flamboyant art style and unique cinematographic storytelling technique revolutionized the Franco-Belgian comics industry. A preeminent European talent bringing his personal and breathtaking vision to the iconic world of The Dark Knight constitutes an unprecedented event for the European comic book market.
“I am really proud to take part in this amazing project,” declared Enrico Marini. “Batman has been my favorite Super Hero since my childhood. Having this opportunity to reinterpret his universe and to add my point of view is a great privilege.”

DC Entertainment Publisher and legendary comic book creator Jim Lee said about the project: “We are thrilled to have Enrico Marini lend his outstanding vision and skills to the project that will bring an original Batman story to a broad European audience of DC fans.”

Supergirl #10
Pretty good. Man they are going ham with the
Legion of Superheroes. I dunno who Selena is, but that's fucking some version Brainiac
. Also there's an error in the jail cell scene where Supergirl's speaking, and the dialogue has the characters indicating that it's translated when it is not supposed to be. Also a little bit sad that this plot requires me to have read an external issue from the book. Well, not requires, but it still feels like a pretty key plot point.

Justice League of America #8
The outrage at Bats in this issue is super unwarranted, though he is a giant dick. In other news, this book is weird.

Detective Comics #958
Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl what up. Dope issue. I love Cass and Clayface. I love Ascalon's design and I love the shade thrown at Killer Moth. All the Order of St. Dumas stuff is in B&R Eternal, right? Need to read that, then.

However the hulk issue with guest star Jeremey Lin was so so bad. What a waste of an issue. And it's an arc lasting more than one issue. Why? Who asked for this?

That first Jeremy Lin issue made me drop the title. It was already on the bubble, but, wow, such hot garbage.

I got my gf in to Silver Surfer. She got me into Doctor Who, so it's only fair. Some day I want to go back and read Silver Surfer's original stuff with Galactus and the Fantastic Four.

Messi

That first Jeremy Lin issue made me drop the title. It was already on the bubble, but, wow, such hot garbage.

I got my gf in to Silver Surfer. She got me into Doctor Who, so it's only fair. Some day I want to go back and read Silver Surfer's original stuff with Galactus and the Fantastic Four.

Apart from those two issues Hulks been good.

AFAIK, the only Fowler Rat Queens issue that won't be reprinted is #16, which has been struck out of canon altogether and will never be reprinted. Thank god. It was terrible what happened to her to be fair. Just awful. She was very nice when I messaged her on Twitter after #15 happened as well.

Don't know how the second hardcover will be handed. I still haven't gotten the first one and I ordered it a week ago! Why is the post so slooooooow?

Catching up on books:

The Forge

Amazing and really interesting. Seems really gigantic and wide reaching. JRJR is the worst piece of shit in comics.

Detective Comics

Hated everything at the Basketball game, but really enjoyed everything else. Really interested in how the cliff hanger is going to play out with the team.

Action Comics and Suicide Squad

The inconsistencies between these issues while seemingly covering the same things really made these books seem worse in my eyes because I couldn't stop thinking about the oddeties. I really want Action to get to the point already also.

Spider-Man

Jumped back on this book and really happy I did, it seems this book is really enjoyable when not involved in some kind of cross-over or event tie-in.

X-Men Gold

Book is bi-weekly and somehow I still struggle to remember what happened in the previous issue. Liked it well enough but it really feels like half filler to extend pacing for bi-weekly purposes. Hopefully they grow into the issue rate like DC eventually did.

Apart from those two issues Hulks been good.

Agreed, it was good up til that. Messi, is the First Lady Killer run 5 issues? I have those. So if I buy the issues from the current mini, will I have it all?

AFAIK, the only Fowler Rat Queens issue that won't be reprinted is #16, which has been struck out of canon altogether and will never be reprinted. Thank god. It was terrible what happened to her to be fair. Just awful. She was very nice when I messaged her on Twitter after #15 happened as well.

I had fallen off comics when all this went down. I don't know if I want to look to closely at it because I met Wiebe in Rat Queens early days and he was so nice. I raged against Fowlers art, but she indeed seems like a sweet person. And I remember how much she loved drawing the book. I'm sorry things went sideways, but I'm also sorry that the book never recovered from her tenure. The relaunch is good, but I don't feel the same about it. However maybe it's as good as ever, and it's me who has changed, I don't know.

Top Bottom