• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Did we really need another Spider-Man reboot though? I bet the next movie will be a reboot too because they are NEVER HAPPY WITH THE GUY THEY CAST TO PLAY PETER.

I feel confident saying Andrew Garfield being Spider-Man had 0% to do with the cancellation of that film series.

P.S. he was a great Spider-Man, but that's neither here nor there

caliph95

I feel confident saying Andrew Garfield being Spider-Man had 0% to do with the cancellation of that film series.

P.S. he was a great Spider-Man, but that's neither here nor there
It's everything to with Sony not learning their lessons from Spiderman 3 and triple downing on it

Legion/Bugs Bunny was really fun! The Sam Humphries Redemption Tour continues.

plus I've been really liking Tom Grummett's art a lot, he just finished a Kickstarter for a continuation of Section Zero, an indie he did with Karl Kesel years back
SJ25glb.jpg

i'm really looking forward to it!

-
Also I know that this could change with #2 dropping today, but Iceman #1 was nowhere near America-tier. In fact, i'd say the art is a bigger weak link than the writing, bc I don't think Vitti *fits* the book so much even though he's not a bad artist

Can I just talk a little bit about the Justice League episode, "A Better World"? Just for a hot minute. I just re-watched it and I'm a wee bit perturbed by it:

So, we're to get the idea that the Justice Lords are the exact same as the Justice League, correct? Though their universe had different events played out, such as Luthor becoming President of the U.S. and then killing Flash. Now, in that timeline, the Lords have always been the Justice Lords, since Lord Batman states, "they call themselves the Justice League, not the Justice Lords." So okay, that's interesting, since both Lords and League imply a degree of elitism, but a lord is clearly a rank in a ruling hierarchy and a league a gathering of a group of individuals for a specific person. This already moves against the idea that they are the same, since the name clearly indicates the intent to rule. Or at least present themselves as such, where as the League simply has the connotation of being a group of superhumans dedicated towards a purpose, which we know is not to rule.

The big tipping point however, is in the opening sequence of part one, where Superman kills Lex. Firstly, not every single way involves deady force, but assuming that is the case, when Wonder Woman and Batman enter the room, there is a degree of surprise from both, but here's the kicker: Batman has to hold Diana back, which is interesting because she becomes one of the most unquestionably loyal members. J'onn and Shayera show some wavering, and I believe Batman's refusal to leave his cave implies he's not comfortable with the world's situation either. Otherwise why would he cave to League Bruce so easily? To loop back around to the White House scene, Batman says "it had to be done." This is what bothered me the most and what caused me to break down the episode, since it seems immensely out of character. Again, barring those subtle differences, the Lords are largely supposed to be the same characters. So in what scenario would Bruce be okay with Clark fucking incinerating a man. Even Lex? I suppose League Bruce tells Wally that it's not too far from what they would do given the same scenario (President Lex murdering one of their own, particularly the Wally).

Incredibly deep episode. Really delivers every time.

Carry on.
And none of them are Venom Space Knight.

smh
Truff
Not a single X-men or Fantastic Four character.
I would say I am surprised, but hey, what to the X-men or the Fantastic Four have to do with Marvel's legacy?

That Hulk cover from the solicit looks a bit off...
The fact that she's angry at a donut...
Was looking at other Gerard Way books and was thinking about checking out Killjoys. Is Killjoys and the Umbrella Academy in the same universe?
Killjoys and TUA are separate universes. Killjoys is high concept and super weird, so it requires a very different mindset than TUA, which is just quality superhero comics.
I had a mental breakdown yesterday but I'm ok.

BUT

I'm taking a hiatus from things, including this. I'll still get the comics but I just need to think about things and better myself. Tired of feeling shitty and hating myself.

See you guys later.

Pour one out for Wasp for me.
But whom will I remind that I forget Wasp is a book regularly?
Today I learned there was going to be a Nathan Fairbairn/Chris Burnham book at DC until the character was made unavailable at the last minute. Someone find me the Earth where that and the Mignola New Gods cartoon happened so I can leave this barren husk of a world.
What character?
This books gonna be incredible right?
Damn straight.
Mark Millar and who else?
How do you stop reading a series you really like when it gets too awful for you?
BowedBlondBrocketdeer-size_restricted.gif

Over and over again until I can justify it no longer.
This is amazing.

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Lgt6Lew.jpg[/IMG]
This reminded of me of Gillen's YA

I suppose I should actually read it.

caliph95

Can I just talk a little bit about the Justice League episode, "A Better World"? Just for a hot minute. I just re-watched it and I'm a wee bit perturbed by it:

So, we're to get the idea that the Justice Lords are the exact same as the Justice League, correct? Though their universe had different events played out, such as Luthor becoming President of the U.S. and then killing Flash. Now, in that timeline, the Lords have always been the Justice Lords, since Lord Batman states, "they call themselves the Justice League, not the Justice Lords." So okay, that's interesting, since both Lords and League imply a degree of elitism, but a lord is clearly a rank in a ruling hierarchy and a league a gathering of a group of individuals for a specific person. This already moves against the idea that they are the same, since the name clearly indicates the intent to rule. Or at least present themselves as such, where as the League simply has the connotation of being a group of superhumans dedicated towards a purpose, which we know is not to rule.

The big tipping point however, is in the opening sequence of part one, where Superman kills Lex. Firstly, not every single way involves deady force, but assuming that is the case, when Wonder Woman and Batman enter the room, there is a degree of surprise from both, but here's the kicker: Batman has to hold Diana back, which is interesting because she becomes one of the most unquestionably loyal members. J'onn and Shayera show some wavering, and I believe Batman's refusal to leave his cave implies he's not comfortable with the world's situation either. Otherwise why would he cave to League Bruce so easily? To loop back around to the White House scene, Batman says "it had to be done." This is what bothered me the most and what caused me to break down the episode, since it seems immensely out of character. Again, barring those subtle differences, the Lords are largely supposed to be the same characters. So in what scenario would Bruce be okay with Clark fucking incinerating a man. Even Lex? I suppose League Bruce tells Wally that it's not too far from what they would do given the same scenario (President Lex murdering one of their own, particularly the Wally).

Mark Millar and who else?

It's better than Injustice Storyline purely game of course and possibly more nuanced
, i love Better World though. I do like the idea of Flash being the morality pet and how the government became the villains due to a real and possible fear of JL becoming lords which they could easily become

Also that's not millar, Eisner awards guy is Brubaker, you know Winter Soldier Guy and i'm guessing other one is Jason Aaron

Also yeah you should read Gwenpool it's better than it has any right to be.

Damn Mike Carey writes a great Beast. And Cannonball.
It's better than Injustice Storyline purely game of course and possibly more nuanced
, i love Better World though. I do like the idea of Flash being the morality pet and how the government became the villains due to a real and possible fear of JL becoming lords which they could easily become
The Cadmus stuff didn't come into play until much later, though this episode did set many of the core storyline episodes for JLU. The thing is that Flash being the conscience is an interesting mark, because you could also attribute that role to Green Arrow down the line. The difference is that GA keeps the League in check by reminding them that they serve the people and not the other way around. Flash is the innocence of the group. He's pure and untainted. The last vestige amidst cynicism. He's raw enotion. He's not cynical and jaded. He's not hardened by war or burdened by tragedy. It's very interesting how he plays into it and the way he does.

Got round to reading first Defenders issue and it was.........erm okay I guess, it wasn't bad, but then it wasn't much of anything else, wasn't really much story, wasn't really much action and wasn't really much character interaction. Guess it might need a few issues to build up the story. Also I know its his classic nickname but does anyone else find it cringey when other characters call Daredevil 'horn head', I get it from the illiteration happy promo days of Marvel back in the day, but doesn't seem like a thing anyone would call him these days.

Hopefully getting round to the new Black Panther the crew issue tonight, the way it improved so much from issue 1 to issue 2 I get the feeling the series might start hitting its stride just as its cancelled :(

Batman

I feel like this was mostly set up and had a lot of cool moments, but had some issues. I like this Joker who seems a bit like Burton's Joker to me for some reason.

dan2026

Once again King's Batman is good plot ideas muddled by awkward dialogue and characterisation.
Also is this set far into the past? Batman mentioned that he had just come off his first year.
And yet he also mentioned 'the boys', presumably the Robins.

When the hell is this set?

Once again King's Batman is good plot ideas muddled by awkward dialogue and characterisation.
Also is this set far into the past? Batman mentioned that he had just come off his first year.

It says about a year after the Riddler Zero Year stuff, but I think the stuff about how long ago it was gets a little muddled because of all the New52/Rebirth time constraint stuff mixed with what Superman Reborn has possibly done to timeline and stuff like that.

Biggest issue in dialogue is the Riddler stuff. Don't think his Riddler so far is very good at all.

ElNarez

Banned

Last page takes place after the events of Batman #24. So, he's talking about the boys now, not then, because there weren't boys yet.

Messi

So Motor Crush isn't back until September. That a long break. Wonder what the delay is .

No I hate fairyland either :/

tim1138

So Motor Crush isn't back until September. That a long break. Wonder what the delay is .

No I hate fairyland either :/

I Hate Fairyland has been taking breaks between arcs and the current one ends in August. It'll probably be back in October.

tim1138

Shirtless Bear-Fighter is the most ridiculous thing I've read since God Hates Astronauts, so obviously I loved everything about it.

J_Viper

Question about the recent Transformers comics

Is All Hail Megatron on the same timeline as the MtMtE/RiD?

Doesn't seem like it is, but I can always use more Megatron

I started reading Clean Room at work today.
This is fucking weird.

I really liked it for the first arc or two, but then it lost me when it started getting more big or wide spread of a story. I'd be interested to go back to it eventually because I really liked how it started.

Aizo

Banned
I started Prophet a couple of days ago and though the same thing.
That's one of my favorite comics. Just keep reading. I know a lot of people say it doesn't make any sense, but I don't think it's horribly difficult to follow. It's just endlessly creative. I cracked up reading so many of the bubbles out loud to my co-workers.

That's one of my favorite comics. Just keep reading. I know a lot of people say it doesn't make any sense, but I don't think it's horribly difficult to follow. It's just endlessly creative. I cracked up reading so many of the bubbles out loud to my co-workers.

Yeah I am. I'm half way through volume 3 right now. It's science fiction on a scale you don't really see often. Kinda reminds me of Warhammer 40k.

Sou Da

I have no idea but I heard it's better to ignore it regardless.

Also Chip's Spider-Man book is a breath of fresh air.

"They'd love it here, don't you think?"
"Who?"
"Mom and Dad. They'd be so proud of you."

It would be the low point of the entire IDW era if it wasn't followed by Mike Costa's run. Avoid at all costs.

The end of the war was what allowed Transformers comics to get interesting again.

Top Bottom