• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I went ahead and got the "Last Son lf Krypton" TPB. Liked both stories, and I thought the quality was good for the price.

I know Marvel's stuff has been really fun lately, but, what's the state of DC superhero comics right now? I only ask because I read MGK and he said basically "it's all trash, complete shit, don't bother".

MisterHero

So, I went ahead and got the "Last Son lf Krypton" TPB. Liked both stories, and I thought the quality was good for the price.

I know Marvel's stuff has been really fun lately, but, what's the state of DC superhero comics right now? I only ask because I read MGK and he said basically "it's all trash, complete shit, don't bother".
Action Comics is finishing a run that's only good if you've read the whole series. Superman, Superboy, and Supergirl books are stuck in a giant crossover that might've been good if it was just in one series.

Justice League's Shazam backup story is amazing. The actual League stories might disappoint, however.

ReiGun

Could be better, but I like a lot of what DC is putting out. Their behind the scenes management is a mess, but I don't think quality of the books is as dire as some make it out to be.

I've enjoyed Earth 2, Aquaman, Animal Man, Sword of Sorcery, and Batwoman just to name a few.

MartyStu

Jean Grey and Superior Otto bossing it this week.

Seriously, when Peter gets back, I hope he gives some serious thought as to how he approaches the job.
Say what you will about Otto, but he is proving to be effective
and superior

As for Jean, I would prefer AoA Jean, but in her absence, this one is actually pretty cool. I want her to stay.

Earth 2 was good for the most part (The dialog could use a lot of work. Especially Wotan's).

Lastly, I still do not like World's Finest.

Jean Grey and Superior Otto bossing it this week.

Seriously, when Peter gets back, I hope he gives some serious thought as to how he approaches the job.

Say what you will about Otto, but he is proving to be effective.

funny I was just coming in to say the exact same thing.

superior spidey is deconstructing every superhero trope that's been taken for granted, and is great at it.

Jean grey is getting scary in ANXM though, I love it

Today's haul...

1446A3D6-AF2B-4CA7-AF37-0BD16A5800D3-3733-0000028B9959956D_zps453cf8b4.jpg

Broke down and blind bought AoU... Whole lotta nothing happened but eh... May give it another shot. 90s are back with that cover for sure though.

Time to read the other stuff.

Well, finished 3 out of 4...

ANXM #8: Sooooo good!
Love Angel interaction & Little Cyke smackdown of Cap.
Avengers #7: OMG so freaking awesome!
'Tennant' cameo made me laugh.
AoU: Mehhhhhh...

Now for GA #18...

Confession: I'm actually relieved that Age of Ultron is bad from the impressions so far. Now I feel comfortable skipping it.

Hitch's art can't even save it... Ugh, at least I have a nice shiny chromium cover to show for this lol. But meh, flipping through the tie-ins, no way am I purchasing in this state.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Confession: I'm actually relieved that Age of Ultron is bad from the impressions so far. Now I feel comfortable skipping it.

It just means the 90's are back for real, Chromium covers and shit storylines*.

*I'm not saying everything in the 90's was bad but it was a lot of grimdark bullshit.

It just means the 90's are back for real, Chromium covers and shit storylines*.

*I'm not saying everything in the 90's was bad but it was a lot of grimdark bullshit.

Yep. I like my grimdarkallgonnabef'ed storylines with a bit of lightheartedness to break it up...

I stand by loving Joe Mad's baseball issue of X-Men as one of my favorite 90s moments.

I was actually kind of hoping it would be good. And I know I said I usually give a book at least three issues before I drop it, but omg I can't take anymore of this shit. I was maybe six pages in before I wanted it to end.

The color palette didn't bother me. It's that there was really zero story progression. And what was there was the most boring thing I've read in months.

I could barely find the plot actually. I was dead set on dropping it after seeing nothing but the interior of a building for over half the book...

In Superior Spider-Man,
did anyone else get a Magnum PI vibe?

Age of Ultron was
fine every Marvel event first issue should always open with a Hawkeye/Spider-Man scene.

Avengers is having a
Starbrand
arc, Weaver making it look good.

It's about what happens when a super hero retires. What does he replace that with. It's also about America and how fucking prude everyone is here.

sex #1 was awesome.

Well, it's also about the fact that he spent all these years of his life as a hero, and he missed out on things most people take for granted. Most obviously in this case (but not exclusively) - sex. So the book is about his attempt to make up for lost time.

As for the book itself, I liked it. Can't wait to read more.

A+X with Doop and Iron Fist is all you need to know

Glad to see Weaver back with Avengers, love the guys work. Only thing against Hickman's work is he seems to be, as per usual, playing the super long game with all buildup for awhile.

Along with everyone else, ANXM is consistenly good with great art.

For all doubters and haters, Superior is much better than you would imagine.

In terms of Age of Ultron detracting, if you look at it more of a story of Hawkeye violently icing dudes coupled with Hitch art, rather than the start of an event, you'll enjoy it much more.

What I did hate is the continuation of Spidey portrayed as someone who needs to be rescued or always gets beat up.

I'm gonna be hitting the comics store today. Any recommendations on single issues or graphic novels? I have the following in GNs:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Through the Looking Glass
The Shadow: Blood and Judgment
Bone 1-9

Of course I know of the basics like Watchmen and The Killing Joke. Kinda interested in picking up Infinity Gauntlet or Thanos Quest, Court of Owls, and anything Alan Moore has ever done. Really just want to expand my collection and what I've read.

Lombaszko

I actually liked how Swamp Thing wrapped up, nice issue.
That page where Alec kills Abby... damn.
I agree Rot World was way too long, but Snyder and Yanick Paquette are off the book now and it'll be interesting to see how it will change with the new creative team.

Superman was pretty confusing, but Rocafort's art was awesome and really detailed. I wonder if that's why this book was delayed? I noticed some of his pervious issues had blank backgrounds but in this issue, everything was well drawn.

Gazunta

Can someone point me towards a summation of what the Sullivan's Sluggers thing is all about? All I see is people being angry about something but no context I can find.

big giant

Banned
I stand by loving Joe Mad's baseball issue of X-Men as one of my favorite 90s moments.
"With reflexes forged by countless battles -- Cyclops lets fly his fastball."

I jumped off Avengers when Opena did, but got #7 because Weaver looked to be doing good stuff in the preview (the shot of Banner in his techsuit, basically). Well, they sure chose the only good pages in the comic for that preview! #poouniverse

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Can someone point me towards a summation of what the Sullivan's Sluggers thing is all about? All I see is people being angry about something but no context I can find.

Paid the artist a flat rate, not a percentage of Kickstarter profits. Has gone to Kickstarter a second time: is just getting rich because people are idiots and Kickstarter is still a woefully flawed system, all while initial people are still waiting for their books. Asshole.

big giant

Banned
http://4thletter.net/2013/01/on-mark-andrew-smiths-sullivans-sluggers-kickstarter/
http://orcstain.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/sluggers/
Basically, there were big delays on getting the book to people who backed the Kickstarter, and it suddenly became available to people who hadn't, even though it was supposed to be Kickstarter exclusive.

Finished WE3 last night. It's definitely one of the easier to follow Morrison books. I really liked it for what it is. Although I fully expected
All the pets to die horrible deaths

It's about what happens when a super hero retires. What does he replace that with. It's also about America and how fucking prude everyone is here.

sex #1 was awesome.

Well, it's also about the fact that he spent all these years of his life as a hero, and he missed out on things most people take for granted. Most obviously in this case (but not exclusively) - sex. So the book is about his attempt to make up for lost time.

As for the book itself, I liked it. Can't wait to read more.

Sex also had really nice lettering.

Agreed, and YES, Rus Wooton just KILLED it. Coloring was ace too. Casey always thinks about the STYLE of his books. Love that shit.

Hi folks.
I've been meaning to get into the New52. I'm a bit of a Batman fan but really anything is fine. What are the standouts from the New52 and what would you recommend I read?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Green Arrow question:

Is the Island Ollie keeps mentioning the one from Year One? I don't know what continuity they are using for his backstory.

Helheim was pretty good. I love the colors in it. Who doesn't like stories with Vikings in them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom