• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm gonna be hitting the comics store today. Any recommendations on single issues or graphic novels? I have the following in GNs:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Through the Looking Glass
The Shadow: Blood and Judgment
Bone 1-9

Of course I know of the basics like Watchmen and The Killing Joke. Kinda interested in picking up Infinity Gauntlet or Thanos Quest, Court of Owls, and anything Alan Moore has ever done. Really just want to expand my collection and what I've read.

Don't get Court of Owls, get Detective Comics: The Black Mirror.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

OH SHI-

nasa-celebrates-mars-xmchb.gif

I'm gonna be hitting the comics store today. Any recommendations on single issues or graphic novels? I have the following in GNs:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Through the Looking Glass
The Shadow: Blood and Judgment
Bone 1-9

Of course I know of the basics like Watchmen and The Killing Joke. Kinda interested in picking up Infinity Gauntlet or Thanos Quest, Court of Owls, and anything Alan Moore has ever done. Really just want to expand my collection and what I've read.

Invincible by Kirkman and Walker/Ottley. It's everything that you might like about superheroes sans the bad things about the genre.

Owzers

Fun fact: the mobile shop I work for helped design and develop the iOS and Android apps, so if you have feedback, I'm all ears. :)

immediate gripe:

The translucent back and forward arrow keys need to leave the page permanently.
Doesn't appear to have a full screen mode, it would be nice to get the top banner gone for good.

This is a pretty poor app for reading comics in :( None of that may be your fault though :O

Good:

Browsing the library is now easy , unlike trying to do so on marvel's site prior to this app.

Acid08

Banned
Superior 5 was awesome as usual.
Spidey is straight up murkin motherfuckers now, shit is dope. Also I feel like I missed something, who is the midget lady? Was she in the last issue? I can't remember.

The next arc is going to be a real test. Can the writing keep me in while Ramos is actively trying to make me vomit on his artwork? I guess we'll see.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Invincible by Kirkman and Walker/Ottley. It's everything that you might like about superheroes sans the bad things about the genre.

it, like the walking dead started off that way like new concepts. but as it is now, its just another cape comic, with a taste of ultraviolence

In between my post in November and now, I noticed that Mark Andrew Smith had copies of Sullivan's Sluggers for sale online -- through his personal shop and Amazon both -- as well as in comics stores. I thought this went against his promise that Sullivan's was going to be "exclusive only to Kickstarter backers," so I sent him a message asking if it was a new edition or if plans had changed. He asked if I was stalking him, despite the fact that a) I wasn't, and am not, and b) it was the first time I ever sent him a message.

lol why you stalking me BRO

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
God that Smith guy is a moron. Takes no responsibility for his actions. Hopefully no talented artist will want to work with him in the future.

Acid08

Banned
If you guys aren't reading Mara, you should, its getting better every issue.
Got my issue sitting at home for reading tonight! I really like it so far. Sometimes I'm a little off put by the way Doyle draws arms. They look like they bend in the wrong way in some cases.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I know many people don't want this to reflect badly on Kickstarter but this is EXACTLY what is wrong with Kickstarter. Childish unaccountable assholes dumptrucked with money and no obligations because the average internet consumer seemingly cant see beyond their own nose.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks, dude is like Kirkman times a millions. Stokoe and Dan Hipp are pretty much the two most talented guys on the planet.

:(

I still don't own any Stokoe work but I will soon. I need that Godzilla: Half Century War tpb when it comes out. I also want to get Orc Stain.

Acid08

Banned
It sucks, dude is like Kirkman times a millions. Stokoe and Dan Hipp are pretty much the two most talented guys on the planet.

:(
Are you reading Godzilla?

Stokoe fans that aren't reading that book, you are fucking up. I think the trade is going to be out in the next couple months.

Lombaszko

If you guys aren't reading Mara, you should, its getting better every issue.

Yeah! Just read #3 at lunch, I like how
people find out Mara has super powers and she gets less popular. The story flips around the common convention of; no name gets super powers and becomes famous. In this book, she's already the most famous person in the world and they find out she's got super powers and even the people closest to her turn their backs.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
stokoes godzilla book has been super rad. shame this sluggers business got so messy :/

Invincible started off as a real good DBZ influenced ultra violence and then just turns into boring superhero book. There are dozens of better books to recommend to a new reader.

has the Hawkeye trade dropped yet? an absolute must buy for everyone in here.

Acid08

Banned
Old Snake :)

Invincible started off as a real good DBZ influenced ultra violence and then just turns into boring superhero book. There are dozens of better books to recommend to a new reader.

Well since he hasn't read any of it I'd say its worth his time.

Sblargh

Banned
Superior 5 was awesome as usual.
Spidey is straight up murkin motherfuckers now, shit is dope. Also I feel like I missed something, who is the midget lady? Was she in the last issue? I can't remember.

The next arc is going to be a real test. Can the writing keep me in while Ramos is actively trying to make me vomit on his artwork? I guess we'll see.

About the character you asked.

On the last issue, Peter Octopus was revolted that Peter Spider didn't even finished college, as being a doctor is very important to him. So he signed up to finish his course and he signed up for a very difficult chemistry class. This girl is a private tutor who kept buggering him to give him private lessons, but as we saw on this edition, he really didn't need them and he just stopped there to say that.
Now, What I find interesting is the possibility of she being a love interest of him, not a borrowed Peter Parker girlfriend, but someone Otto actually likes.

Owzers

Daredevil #23......Waid ruined daredevil for me, the fun is over. Pizza Dog gets aids in Hawkguy #11 and they put him down.

Daredevil #23......Waid ruined daredevil for me, the fun is over. Pizza Dog gets aids in Hawkguy #11 and they put him down.

I don't think recent developments make the book "unfun". It's real, and sad, shit and since the book is so good, it hit me in a sincere way.

The book was never What The --?!

frye

Yeah, Daredevil is pretty ace again. Also the book was never really a happy-go-lucky romp - part of the pitch is that he isn't really over the horrible shit he went through the last decade. It's there in like the first issue.

Owzers

In the first issue i took it as " i'm not okay but i'm going to pretend to be okay and have some fun, and the reader should have some fun too" and that's gone now. It mostly lasted until the Coyote arc started. I still like the book and will continue reading, but the fun is gone. It's now just another high quality title to me but not special-tier, like most DC books i read that don't know how to have any fun or whimsy and are just serious business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom