• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lombaszko

Hi folks.
I've been meaning to get into the New52. I'm a bit of a Batman fan but really anything is fine. What are the standouts from the New52 and what would you recommend I read?

The first trade from Batman is probably a pretty good start as are Justice League and Aquaman.
If you're willing to try non-typical superhero stories, I'd recommend Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. and All-Star Western. They tie into the New 52 but are kind of on the outer edge.

big giant

Banned
Hi folks.
I've been meaning to get into the New52. I'm a bit of a Batman fan but really anything is fine. What are the standouts from the New52 and what would you recommend I read?
Nooooothing!

The main Batman title, "Batman", by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo is pretty-but-overwritten. It's had 2 (3?) crossovers already, but I imagine just reading that title would be fine.

Batman Incorporated has been great, but would be nigh-meaningless if you haven't been following Grant Morrison's Batman comics from the start. At the very least you'd need to read the previous volume.

I haven't read Dial H for Hero, but I'm reliably informed it's a fun pre-Vertigo/Doom Patrol type of book.

arkon

Astonishing. Well, I'd made my mind up when this shit was first getting linked in the Comics thread. This just solidifies it

Hi folks.

Try out Dial H. Start with #1.

tim1138

Hi folks.

Aquaman, the Flash, and Earth-2.
All three are easy to pick up on, have good stories, and amazing art.

Hi folks.

Most of the Batman titles are good. I'd say you could get Batman, Batman and Robin, and Nightwing. You may also enjoy Batgirl and Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Talon (once you read the first run of Batman). Catwoman and Teen Titans have been more divisive.

Non Bat-titles I'd recommend; Earth 2, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow (Starting at #17), The Green Lantern family of titles.

Honestly, I'd suggest you dabble and see what else you like.

Heh. >:D

1362605116.jpg

FEARLESS DEFENDERS #5
CULLEN BUNN (W) • WILLIAM SLINEY (A)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
VARIANT BY AMANDA CONNOR
WOLVERINE COSTUME VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE
• All the fearless ladies on this cover are actually in this issue!
• Plus: Valkyrie v.s. She Hulk!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

At least the covers for this book are amazing.

Action Comics is finishing a run that's only good if you've read the whole series. Superman, Superboy, and Supergirl books are stuck in a giant crossover that might've been good if it was just in one series.

Justice League's Shazam backup story is amazing. The actual League stories might disappoint, however.

Could be better, but I like a lot of what DC is putting out. Their behind the scenes management is a mess, but I don't think quality of the books is as dire as some make it out to be.

I've enjoyed Earth 2, Aquaman, Animal Man, Sword of Sorcery, and Batwoman just to name a few.

Doesn't sound so bad, actually. I'll give it a run through next time I visit a shop.

Owzers

just came to post this too, anyone try it yet? It is definitely new new new and one of my chief complaints about MDCU, since browsing the website takes 30 seconds to load on everything you want to do making it a browsing nightmare. It's a shame that marvel puts out an app at the same time they reduce the number of comics they put on the service each month.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hey everyone. I posted in one of these threads a while back about getting back into comic book reading, and the recommendations I got were actually really helpful, so thanks for that! At the time I mentioned that I was leaning more towards Vertigo-like comics, but with everyone talking about Batman I ended up going back and picking the series up, and I'm actually enjoying it. I haven't branched out into all the other Bat-family comics yet, but my interest in cape-style comics has been re-piqued.

I'm interested in picking up some Marvel comics, but I'm not sure where to jump on. I'd like to start reading Iron Man, has that just had a re-launch or something? I saw there was an Iron Man #7 or something released recently so would it be worth starting at the beginning of this run? Also I probably would have said I'd be interested in Spider-Man too but I have no idea whether the current storyline that's going on is ridiculous and should be avoided or not. Also I've heard a lot about the Ultimate line of comics, should I pick up some trades for those?

Thanks again for any recommendations/suggestions. I think the reason I've always stuck with things like Fables/Saga/Y: The Last Man/Ex Machina is that there's a very definite start point, whereas with the capes there are a bunch of different books for each character and some are hundreds into the story, just don't know which to pick out.

Hey everyone. I posted in one of these threads a while back about getting back into comic book reading, and the recommendations I got were actually really helpful, so thanks for that! At the time I mentioned that I was leaning more towards Vertigo-like comics, but with everyone talking about Batman I ended up going back and picking the series up, and I'm actually enjoying it. I haven't branched out into all the other Bat-family comics yet, but my interest in cape-style comics has been re-piqued.

I'm interested in picking up some Marvel comics, but I'm not sure where to jump on. I'd like to start reading Iron Man, has that just had a re-launch or something? I saw there was an Iron Man #7 or something released recently so would it be worth starting at the beginning of this run? Also I probably would have said I'd be interested in Spider-Man too but I have no idea whether the current storyline that's going on is ridiculous and should be avoided or not. Also I've heard a lot about the Ultimate line of comics, should I pick up some trades for those?

Thanks again for any recommendations/suggestions. I think the reason I've always stuck with things like Fables/Saga/Y: The Last Man/Ex Machina is that there's a very definite start point, whereas with the capes there are a bunch of different books for each character and some are hundreds into the story, just don't know which to pick out.

Many Marvel titles had a relaunch in January. I believe they should be branded with the Marvel NOW similar to DC's New 52.

bro1

Banned
Marvel Unlimited is now an official iPad app. Of course the servers are getting hammered so you can't sign on yet

Most of the Batman titles are good. I'd say you could get Batman, Batman and Robin, and Nightwing. You may also enjoy Batgirl and Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Talon (once you read the first run of Batman). Catwoman and Teen Titans have been more divisive.

Non Bat-titles I'd recommend; Earth 2, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow (Starting at #17), The Green Lantern family of titles.

Honestly, I'd suggest you dabble and see what else you like.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be sure to check them out.

Yeah, that must be what I was thinking with that Iron Man one, so I should be safe picking and choosing from a few of those?

Yeah. They aren't hard reboots like DC 52 was so your mileage will vary depending on how much back knowledge you have or are willing to do. But it was meant to be a jumping on point. Iron Man seems to be one of the titles getting low reviews by people.

Owzers

I'd wait until May to hop onto Iron Man when it starts a new arc at issue #9.

Eh still no offline reading, and not through an app? Good news, but not satisfied yet.

It is an app and it has up to 6 issues to be stored offline ( not a lot).

and argh my come back to mdcu discount code expired :p I'll probably wait for a sale..

okay gang 20MARVEL will get you 20% off MDCU

Just saw the preview for UXM #3 on CBR...

I don't know why, but I like the civvies Bachalo draws for Scott. Maybe it's the fur on his coat...

Can I get a brief recap about why it's crazy? All I've seen is out of context tweets and the kickstarter page, so I'm not really sure what's up.

from what i understand

- Slugger was going to be funded on kickstarter with the intent of having backers get the book first.
- the author started selling copies to stores before any backers got them.
- author being a dick to people who question his questionable practices
- does another kcikstarter for the same book to cover international shipping while the some of the first backers still dont have books
- artist says he no longer wants to be associated with sullivan sluggers

Green Arrow question:

Is the Island Ollie keeps mentioning the one from Year One? I don't know what continuity they are using for his backstory.

Helheim was pretty good. I love the colors in it. Who doesn't like stories with Vikings in them?

cool I was gonna grab that when the price dropped

Acid08

Banned
Wow, I wanted to read Sullivans Sluggers but all this drama makes me just want to punch that guy in the head instead.

Owzers

I'm only really bothered by Stokoe getting paid for a page rate instead of a partner on the book considering i bought it for the oversized artwork. Though they should fulfill the kickstarter pre-orders before selling the book elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom