• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Not to sound like a noob, which i totally am, but don't all these Batman stories take place at different points in time? The idea being that Damien's death didn't happen in the Batman main series yet, as well as detective or whatever else.

Or am I thinking too logically? I honestly don't get it.

Think of it like the horse race water shooty game at a carnival, eventually the other books catch up to big events if it's not part of a crossover event.

Young Avengers #2 was great, I wasn't entirely sold on the series based on #1 but I'm in. Second issue brought it up to "must read" territory whereas the first issue was a little jumbled. I would like for this to be a loki centric book though, but it probably won't be.

Acid08

Banned
BATWOMEN
Written by J.H. WILLIAMS III and W. HADEN BLACKMAN
Art by FRANCISCO FRANCAVILLA

YES.gif
I'M CUMMING.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As much as I like Snyder, the idea of spending 11 issues showing how Bruce sets up as Batman isn't very appealing. The only thing about the arc that sounds interesting is Riddler getting some featured time, but we knew about that long before today's revelation about the arc. That seems pretty decompressed for a story we generally know and have seen told so many times.

I liked the idea of Superman Unchained (oy @ that title) being more of a maxi-series rather than an open-ended project.

Chuck

Still without luck
Think of it like the horse race water shooty game at a carnival, eventually the other books catch up to big events if it's not part of a crossover event.

Thanks, that makes some sense.

I'm always excited form more team BATMAN, but yeah that announcement was a bit of a let-down. I guess the riddler will play a big part, but more Joker would be :/

There's nothing about FINAL ISSUE in the Batman Inc #12 solicit, but Burnham said on twitter that's his/GMozz final issue. Guess they gonna keep that running with some B-team, gotta keep printing those thousand and one Batman ongoings.

Blader

There's nothing about FINAL ISSUE in the Batman Inc #12 solicit, but Burnham said on twitter that's his/GMozz final issue. Guess they gonna keep that running with some B-team, gotta keep printing those thousand and one Batman ongoings.

Probably. Morrison just said #12 was the end of his story on Inc, not the book itself.

Acid08

Banned
Inc without Morrison, lol.

Who would they even throw on there?

Also any news about that Wonder Woman one off? I'd be pretty interested in reading that.

They didn't end Batman and Robin after Morrison left that, either. Hell, they'll probably put Tomasi on Inc, too, why not. It'll sell less, but people will keep buying if it's even semi-comptent Batman stories. Gotta keep that collection/pull list up, baby

frye

Def. interested to see where Burnham goes after this. Hopefully DC will do good by him and put him on a nice gig.

Owzers

Batman Inc makes sense to continue , but i am a little surprised as i foolishly thought it would end with Morrison. It's an easy concept for someone to take over and do anything they want with. I might even continue buying it if it has a good creative team and angle. Maybe a year long origin story?

Troll

Banned
Batman Inc makes sense to continue , but i am a little surprised as i foolishly thought it would end with Morrison. It's an easy concept for someone to take over and do anything they want with. I might even continue buying it if it has a good creative team and angle. Maybe a year long origin story?

Why doesn't DC do this with all of their main characters? It would be so groundbreaking and edgy. Then, give it 14 months or so and I guarantee you we will start to see the MARVEL THEN! campaign where Marvel apes the idea and does it too.

Why doesn't DC do this with all of their main characters? It would be so groundbreaking and edgy. Then, give it 14 months or so and I guarantee you we will start to see the MARVEL THEN! campaign where Marvel apes the idea and does it too.

If anything could get me to stop reading Marvel/DC, it would be year-long origin stories. Shit... A good origin story can be done in an issue or two. I wouldn't be able to stand a year of it.

Bendis would take that shit on as a challenge

"Hah! I took Lee/Ditko's one issue origin of Spider-Man and stretched it out to six issues before it was cool! I could easily do a trilogy of Maxi-series about Wolverine's many beginnings! Snyder can hold my DIIIIIIIIIIIIICK"

Acid08

Banned
If anything could get me to stop reading Marvel/DC, it would be year-long origin stories. Shit... A good origin story can be done in an issue or two. I wouldn't be able to stand a year of it.

For the big characters having year long origins would be fucking awful. No one needs that.

Could be an interesting idea for lesser known characters.

ReiGun

I'd read a year long origin story for Booster Gold...I'd read a year long anything for Booster Gold.

As for Synder's thing, I'm not so sure. I think because, like others have said, we've seen how Bats gets going, it feels a little stale. If he can give me an interesting Riddler, I can get with it though.

Also any news about that Wonder Woman one off? I'd be pretty interested in reading that.
All we know about it is that Morrison is writing and Yanick Paquette is drawing.

Fingers crossed it doesn't end up like All-Star Wonder Woman.

Troll

Banned
For the big characters having year long origins would be fucking awful. No one needs that.

Could be an interesting idea for lesser known characters.

Yeah, but if they did that they might not be lesser known anymore. Use your head, man.

Owzers

I mainly just want to throw things at DC collectively.

They make a new universe to tell origin stories in Earth One and selectively reboot their main universe WITHOUT telling origin stories in any cohesive way. " Here's five issues with Superman in jeans!"

Then they have a Zero Issue month of " here's some crap we didn't tell you earlier."

Then Snyder is going to take a full year to tell Batman's origin? Riveting stuff like how he built the batcave? How he made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich despite being out of raspberry jam on a Tuesday?

Just kill Martha and Thomas again with an Owl in the background and be done with it.

Troll

Banned
I mainly just want to throw things at DC collectively.

They make a new universe to tell origin stories in Earth One and selectively reboot their main universe WITHOUT telling origin stories in any cohesive way. " Here's five issues with Superman in jeans!"

Then they have a Zero Issue month of " here's some crap we didn't tell you earlier."

Then Snyder is going to take a full year to tell Batman's origin? Riveting stuff like how he built the batcave? How he made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich despite being out of raspberry jam on a Tuesday?

Just kill Martha and Thomas again with an Owl in the background and be done with it.

I wish they would do more Earth 2 stuff. I'd like to see a couple more books based on that universe for me to get into. I'm a sucker for that continuity, it's just so good.

I was finally able to get on to the Comixology site and check out my comics. Even though I got confirmation emails for most of them only half of them show up. Unfortunately the Marvel Now ones, which I was most interested in, aren't on the list. Hopefully they put them back up soon.

I just read Old Man Logan for the first time on Marvel Unlimited. Fun stuff-those types of stories are right up my alley.

Now I'm reading Dr. Strange : The Oath.

It's kind of weird that Dr. Strange basically only shows up with the Illuminati nowadays.

DC should cancel their entire line and put all of their energy to finishing all star batman and all star Wonder Woman. I remember a time when DC used to be about quality not quantity.

My personal Legion of Super Heroes crusade continues! Just got Legionaires #1-81 today. Puts me close to having everything from '89 onwards.

Currently eyeing the Mon El Valor comics from the mid 80s.

Also, anyone have any opinions on Robinsons New Krypton Mon El run? Worth it for a LOSH fan?

I wish they would do more Earth 2 stuff. I'd like to see a couple more books based on that universe for me to get into. I'm a sucker for that continuity, it's just so good.

I agree. Earth 2 is great. I'm not sure what books I'd want to see added, personally, though. It feels more like a book that should be and I hate myself for saying this, double shipped. Most titles shouldn't, but sprawling team books are the most deserving.

My personal Legion of Super Heroes crusade continues! Just got Legionaires #1-81 today. Puts me close to having everything from '89 onwards.

Currently eyeing the Mon El Valor comics from the mid 80s.

Also, anyone have any opinions on Robinsons New Krypton Mon El run? Worth it for a LOSH fan?

My favorite thing in comics, and the reason I started reading long ago and far away. Long Live The Legion!

Yes, The Mon-El stuff was really worth it, and shed new light on the character.

Way too much bitching and negativity in this thread again. Wow.

My favorite thing in comics, and the reason I started reading long ago and far away. Long Live The Legion!

Yes, The Mon-El stuff was really worth it, and shed new light on the character.

Thanks. I'll pick it up. Mon El is grade A badass.

Comic books. People go back and tell you stuff. Zero issues aren't a new thing. My old Legion runs have them. It's the same with Marvel and their ". 1" issues. "Here is some stupid crap we didn't tell you about that we are shoe horning in".

Now you are just being silly. Whatever your personal opinions on Snyder are, he writes good stories that sell books. Why is this run going to be different especially when we haven't seen anything from it yet? Judging the cake before it's baked.

I get flak for being a DC fanboy and not drinking the Marvel koolaid but seriously, some of the hyperbole that goes on in regards to DC is just over the top and comical. Month in and month out their numbers are up so obviously they are appealing to somebody.

monome

He also has Multiversity and I think some kind of Wonder Woman one-off.

the Wonder Woman book has me giddy.
Supposedly it's going back to the S&M roots of the character.

much better IMO than the Noirish take Azzarello decided on.

and yes, All Star Batman needs to be finished. The goddamn Batman ruled.

I get flak for being a DC fanboy and not drinking the Marvel koolaid but seriously, some of the hyperbole that goes on in regards to DC is just over the top and comical. Month in and month out their numbers are up so obviously they are appealing to somebody.

as a former and proud DC fanboy, your opinion is, rightfully so, in the minority.
New 52 is a downward spiral that keeps on downwarding spirally.

Just look at Snyder "owning" Superman & Batman, and Lemire playing White Knight with any/every title whose name is big enough tha DC doesn't want to retire it in favor of a less well known or new title.

The Trinity of Sin "thing" should have started right from the start. It just feels tacked on now, especially as very mysterious characters mostly alluded to sudenly get their own books to coincide with the Summer event.

DC first bought an Economics 101 book making them realize Batman, Superman and to some degree green Lantern were their cash cows, so they had to build around 20 comics about those IPs.
Then they bought Maketing 101, and decided shuffling artists, rebooting stories and playing the "continuity will be tightened" - "events will be felt through all the DC Universe" etc..thing.

Can I just point to Damian dying outside the Death Of the Family arc as a major misshape?
How the fuck can DC not build a story arc around how the death of the biological son of Batman puts stress on his relationships with his foster Batties?

It's nice DC left Morrison alone, but Batman Inc, IMO, greatly suffered from moving into new 52. The all, Batman looking sidekicks, Batman of Gotham and Batman of the World etc...made so much sense.
Morrison nailed it. Batman has been dealing with Super Gods for a long time, and it was very much time for him to stôp lurking around Gotham all the time.
And Dick as Batman >>>>> Nightwing. He rightfully, and respectfully, claimed what clearly belonged to him after years of training and soloing. he was great in the Batman mantle. Only to be robbed for marketing/movie reasons.

as a former and proud DC fanboy, your opinion is, rightfully so, in the minority.
New 52 is a downward spiral that keeps on downwarding spirally.

Except... Their numbers are up YOY? January 2013 is up over 2012 is up over 2011? Same with February, etc? So...? How does that make me in the minority? You mean the minority of this message board / thread?

monome

Except... Their numbers are up YOY? January 2013 is up over 2012 is up over 2011? Same with February, etc? So...? How does that make me in the minority? You mean the minority of this message board / thread?

Comixology effect. it's opened comics purchases to masses outside the US.

It's best just to ignore the hyperbole and enjoy what you enjoy.

truth.
I still enjoy some DC books, and I flame like a boy who has lost his girl.
I loved me some DC.
But I'm determined to say again and again than Jim Lee should draw and stop being a poor steward of DC's stories and characters, and that the reliance on Snyder/Lemire has already reached its peak, only 2 years into New 52.

It's best just to ignore the hyperbole and enjoy what you enjoy.

I usually do. But sometimes it gets a little thick to wade through.

Comixology effect. it's opened comics purchases to masses outside the US.

truth.
I still enjoy some DC books, and I flame like a boy who has lost his girl.
I loved me some DC.
But I'm determined to say again and again than Jim Lee should draw and stop being a poor steward of DC's stories and characters, and that the reliance on Snyder/Lemire has already reached its peak, only 2 years into New 52.

The numbers I'm pulling from are strictly the Diamond market which is physical copies. So that's not even counting digital.

Again, personal opinions aside, strictly by the numbers New 52 is a success that turned around pretty dire looking decreases into more modest but consistent increases in sales.

big giant

Banned
Oh my god, if DC continue a post-Morrison Batman Inc. after their rubbish reboot hobbled the entire concept, I'll... post my exasperation online.

monome

The numbers I'm pulling from are strictly the Diamond market which is physical copies. So that's not even counting digital.

Again, personal opinions aside, strictly by the numbers New 52 is a success that turned around pretty dire looking decreases into more modest but consistent increases in sales.
alright. DC doing good is good for the market anyways.
Numbers aside, I was excited by 52 because it was a chance for new talent to be exposed.
DC did put new faces on prominent titles, yet I can't shake the feeling that the formula was not successfull mostly due to the strict adherence to poor marketing 101 tricks.
I thought Marvell was petty with their late to the party soft reboot, but in the end I've never bought as many Marvel titles, and I'm thoroughly enjoying arts and stories that did not exist prior to Marvel Now.
My love affaire with DC was pretty much Morrison centric these last years apart from Vertigo thus I understand why they brought the Vertigo guys to DC but the corporatism around guys like Batman/Superman makes it really hard for these new comers to fire up all cylinders like they did at Vertigo, and the top brass at DC simply are not good enough storytellers to be those holding the meaningfull impacts done to the DCverse (thus my Jim Lee hate, because the guy is a master penciller and should look for the best story to draw rather than play Tolkienish worldbuilding).

Simply put, I don't see how Snyder can do anything as good with Batman as with his cherished American Vampire.

and Lemire would be better off doing a great Animal Man series than be on 5/6 projects at the same time. guy is the del Toro of comics these days.

Oh my god, if DC continue a post-Morrison Batman Inc. after their rubbish reboot hobbled the entire concept, I'll... post my exasperation online.

Why wait?
Scenario 1 : Inc is cancelled, and the whole Batman sponsored thing gets so minimal in batbooks that it disappears entirely no questions asked.

Scenario 2 : Inc goes on, and nobody at DC can steward the concept. Nobody. Neither Snyder, nor Lemire. Azzarello might do ok. The Inc concept could be turned into an caped investigators story whih fits his style well.

Downloads is back. Pretty sure some of my "FREE"s fell through the cracks but I can just get them when the giveaway comes back online.

Protip: The Big Hero 6 #1 is over 100 pages of Claremont wannabe Manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom